Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That's interesting. Next time the stars align I think I'll grab a boat and try that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Let me know how it goes, two of my squad are convinced the area is inaccessible once the game starts so I can never convince them to try.

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
My group likes heading over there when we get the right plane, it's usually a mad dash to loot everything and then get back to safety before the circle gets us. Sometimes we have to fight it out with other people going there and it's an easy way to run people over with boats if people decide they aren't going to stop that close to the land.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

Chard posted:

Has anyone gone back to spawn island after the drop? I'm curious if all those fun guns would be there.

I had a weird thing in a squad game yesterday. I was alt-tabbed when my squad finished readying, and I was really really late loading into the game. The game bugged and I loaded in right as the plane launched; I did not get put in the plane, and was still on the spawn island. All the crate-type stuff on the picnic tables (tommy gun, awp, etc.) weren't there, but there was regular stuff everywhere else.

There was also no boat, and I ended up dying swimming back to the mainland.

Also got the no-rain sound bug recently, that's super fun.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Chard posted:

That's interesting. Next time the stars align I think I'll grab a boat and try that out.

You're not Chard from Arma 3 BR, are you?

Dryb posted:

I had a weird thing in a squad game yesterday. I was alt-tabbed when my squad finished readying, and I was really really late loading into the game. The game bugged and I loaded in right as the plane launched; I did not get put in the plane, and was still on the spawn island. All the crate-type stuff on the picnic tables (tommy gun, awp, etc.) weren't there, but there was regular stuff everywhere else.

There was also no boat, and I ended up dying swimming back to the mainland.

Also got the no-rain sound bug recently, that's super fun.

Spawn island has military grade loot, like the red areas on the map in the OP. But you need a pretty good set of conditions to get there and back without dying, so its usually not worth it. The picnic table poo poo is gone, but all of the buildings have pretty good loot. Also don't forget to pick up a gas can, you'll probably need it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Can't wait to watch LeBron destroy this team in a few weeks

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

You're not Chard from Arma 3 BR, are you?

Nope that is some other dude.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Unfortunately, the more people buy in, the more lucrative developing cheats becomes, and it's always going to be cheaper to do that than to find and counter them.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I'm enjoying watching this Grimmz guy and that's probably mostly because he has a calm, low voice and doesn't do the over-emoting thing that's popular nowadays.

e: Now he's playing with this Anthony guy who is sometimes right by the edge of acceptable.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unfortunately, the more people buy in, the more lucrative developing cheats becomes, and it's always going to be cheaper to do that than to find and counter them.

Siege has sold around ~10 million copies and has had BattlEye since Fall 2016 so they've got a good bit of experience banning hackers in fast paced PC games at least.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

finally got a chicken dinner after 170 rounds :feelsgood:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Some people carry molotovs apparently:
https://streamable.com/6ll90

Talk about overkill.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

funny Star Wars parody posted:

It makes sense when you think about the engine handing off all the stuff to the CPU since low graphics usually mean you're using the onboard video chip on your laptop
Thats not entirely whats happening. If you run full res textures and your GPU can handle it, the CPU is just sending them right over and not doing much work. If you lower the texture resolution, your CPU now has to compress the textures before sending them to your GPU.
Its all a matter of where your bottleneck is, lowering textures typically just shifts the load from your GPU to your CPU.

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

https://streamable.com/1lo6w

Here's a two minute clip from the beginning of my first win.

My idiot friend didn't go to the car spawn I put on the map so I grabbed this Dacia and found a couple boys in a butthut right near the garage. Screamed at them over voice chat to get the gently caress in the car.

This whole car ride I was chatting about how great the food is in Yasnaya and if they wouldn't mind, rating me 5 stars.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've muttered "blue waffle" quietly to myself once or twice.

Edit: apparently I missed a page. This post is way better without context.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So this happened today...

Edit: I got an email from Green Man Gaming, offering 20% off this game, if you're on the fence about it. I'm not 100% sure it will work on someone else's GMG, but here's the code.

3BD75M-8T0WFU-8SUBRQ

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 3, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just played a solo game where i got the pochinki car with a dude in it, drove until i ran out of gas at another dacia, he got in the drivers seat and started driving around on the road as well. we did this for like 15 mins before finding a mil drop that he dropped me off at, it had like literally every single item in the game (awp scope ghillie suit meds armor), the best drop ive ever seen. i got in the car again and he drove around slamming into other cars and driving off cliffs until we both died

teaming is ruining this game

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 3, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verviticus posted:

i just played a solo game where i got the pochinki car with a dude in it, drove until i ran out of gas at another dacia, he got in the drivers seat and started driving around on the road as well. we did this for like 15 mins before finding a mil drop that he dropped me off at, it had like literally every single item in the game (awp scope ghillie suit meds armor), the best drop ive ever seen. i got in the car again and he drove around slamming into other cars and driving off cliffs until we both died

teaming is ruining this game

Sounds like teaming is making this game even better tbh.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Ashrik posted:

I'm enjoying watching this Grimmz guy and that's probably mostly because he has a calm, low voice and doesn't do the over-emoting thing that's popular nowadays.

e: Now he's playing with this Anthony guy who is sometimes right by the edge of acceptable.

Sips is obviously the best streamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvE-kQmGGkc

https://www.twitch.tv/sips_

He sometimes plays with Pyrion but if you don't like that you can just skip those episodes.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I've gone off Pyrion because he was willing to go "doi, i'm bad, what a goof I am" and be funny about him trying to get better, but now he's just another dude that gets angry at everyone else on his team because it clearly was not his fault streamer #2042. Sips is great since he hasn't let himself slip into that abyss.

Good ol' Sips.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah Sacriel is a sperg but I quite like watching BreaK a guy he sometimes plays with. That dude seems to be one of the most down to earth streamers imo and is pretty good at the game. MIght rant a bit about lack of 1pp though, but eh I kinda of share that point of view anyways so meh :shrug:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Stolen from Reddit:

https://www.facebook.com/techinsider/videos/753963208135371/

* More cosmetics will be added soon and there will be no paid-content until after release.
* Lots of great content to come but their main focus is to work as fast they can on patches for both framerates and server lag.

* Have devs looking at the console platform and it's going to happen, but not until the PC version is fully done.

* Bullet drop and spread mechanics are still a work in progress.

* Weapon damage and armor stats are still a work in progress (they're close to where they want to be but obviously will continue balancing/fixing damage done.)

* Would like to add 1 weapon a month until release.

* Directional audio is still a work in progress and a huge focus. The main dev on this feature is an ex CS pro-tier player.

* Still hotfixing tons of those crappy falling animation glitches every day (you can see the build number change nearly every game you are in at the bottom middle of screen, version number).

* He loves seeing the funny game modes already popping up in Customs. One Korean streamer has a makeshift Zombie mode where 1 squad is allowed to get melee weapons and 92 others have to use their fists attempting to kill the squad. Goldeneye where it's first person only, no armor no meds, and only pistols. Or "where's waldo?" 1 player dresses up in the red/white striped tee shirt and tries to hide from the other 99 players. Sounds fun :)

* Adding more the point above, they will definitely add more options to the customs mode over time so when it goes public, we all get a chance to create some fun rulesets. He mentioned being able to remove the blue zone completely and make it a free roam map. Also thinks car races around the map would be fun too, once more options and mods come! (and less "car humping" bugs. his words, not mine lol)

* "Map is meant to be sort of a forgotten island somewhere in the black sea and Soviets during the war to use as a military base.. then was abandoned due to an "accident". Basic gist of it. PU big fan of brutalist architecture and very proud of the map. If you didn't know the map is named "Erangel" in relation to PU's daughter Eireann.

* Even more variety will be trickled into the current map so we have a few more interior models and such.

* They now have 2 new members of the team that are officially "data scientists" and came from Bluehole's MMO studio. They're now analyzing the huge piles of data from the last couple months and will help being tweaking and balancing everything from car speed to parachute distances to gun damage. That is super exciting!

* PU has always had faith that this genre could be done right and be a massively popular game. But he didn't expect 2 million copies so quickly and even though that puts a ton of pressure on his shoulders, he's at peace because of his "incredible" dev team. It *will* be good.

* **Host says** "and for an early access game I've been very surprised how well it runs as I've not seen any crashes personally --" PU chimes in "Well *for you* that's great! But *there are* some people that have been crashing constantly and we truly, sincerely, apologize to those people and are working very hard to get those issues patched immediately. 90% of players might have no crashing issues but we need that to be as close to 100% as possible. Always send reports!"

* They're constantly brainstorming circle speed ideas and **firmly believe the only thing that should kill you is other players (if playing within the basic rules). Changes will come soon to circle speeds and new mechanics may be tested.**

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Sounds good. I don't think they'll be able to completely remove circle deaths though, because you'll always have people hugging the outside for whatever reason, be it avoiding people coming from behind or looting as much as possible or just being too slow or not paying attention.

Maybe make it a little bit slower at the end of the game but I don't hate the way it is now.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The only problem I really have with the circle is that you can't always outrun it. This means you can have the blue pass you and know you're dead because you won't last all the way to the white circle and you can't get out of the blue before you hit the white circle. Died to this twice yesterday on circles that ended up in towns so we were distracted trying to deal with so many people packed in way tight because we didn't have open field sight-lines.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Blue circle should just vaporizer you. Just a cloud of pink mist. None of this damage over time malarkey.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Out of the handful of early access games Ive bought this might be the first one I feel real good about.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

i really do hope he adds a 'wasteland' mode later.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Getting the circle right is a tough row to hoe. On one hand it sucks to die to the circle in the top 30 or so because someone pinned you down for 7 seconds, or they were willing to die to the circle to pick you off and place ever so slightly higher. I don't have a problem with being "hosed" by the circle randomness in the last 2-3 collapses. It's genuinely random, and it's a tactical choice to sit on the very edge of the safe play area until the last possible moment. You CAN move immediately if you want to. Incidentally, the penalty for shooting out of the circle is higher than shooting in. I stopped to fire back at someone trying to take pot shots at us, and looking back out through the blue was like looking through water. Everything was offset 5-10'.

On the other hand, I've watched people use 6+ first aid kits blithely ignoring the first circle as they scour every high loot area on one side of the map. That's both not interesting to watch, and it's not at all fun to play against. It's not breaking any rules, it's just exploiting how the game mechanics work. It's not wrong, it just feels against the spirit of the experience.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 3, 2017

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

One change I'd like with blue circle is that it should spasm your ADS view every second like you're being electrified.

Would help with those people who feel their final act as they're dying outside of the circle should be to kill some random dude inside at the edge.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Xachariah posted:

One change I'd like with blue circle is that it should spasm your ADS view every second like you're being electrified.

Would help with those people who feel their final act as they're dying outside of the circle should be to kill some random dude inside at the edge.

that's about as cool and good of a final act that I can think of

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Your final act should always be priming a grenade and running up to someone.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

aniviron posted:

Let me know how it goes, two of my squad are convinced the area is inaccessible once the game starts so I can never convince them to try.

I was going there once with a squad, EnTwo and two others. Shotgoon, I want to say? Don't remember the last person. Well, only two of us got a boat, and we hit an invisible wall halfway there. I'm not convinced it's impossible to go there, but there are some invisible walls in the way. We didn't make it to the safe zone.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Thom and the Heads posted:

that's about as cool and good of a final act that I can think of

Maybe you should compose a poem or something instead of ruining my chances :argh:

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
Beagle is clearly the best streamer cmon now

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I was going there once with a squad, EnTwo and two others. Shotgoon, I want to say? Don't remember the last person. Well, only two of us got a boat, and we hit an invisible wall halfway there. I'm not convinced it's impossible to go there, but there are some invisible walls in the way. We didn't make it to the safe zone.

You can definitely go there, I saw a stream where they did. Wasn't a big success because you don't have a lot of time to loot, it's too far away.

They also had a passenger from another team in their boat, they killed him after getting some guns on the island. Then when they came back his team was on the beach and killed them all.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gay Horney posted:

Can't wait to watch LeBron destroy this team in a few weeks

Raptors fans cant even catch a break reading games :(

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just saw a highlight video of a guy solo vs squads and he got 22 kills by getting a machine gun and lighting up cars that got funnelled into him by the wall.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I just saw a highlight video of a guy solo vs squads and he got 22 kills by getting a machine gun and lighting up cars that got funnelled into him by the wall.

Yeah that was Lirik, he got the LMG in a crate and played angry toll booth operator simulator. He won that game too, drat.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah that video was pretty ridiculous, but he got really lucky with the circle placement. Also everyone who tried to rush across that bridge in a car was an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

machine gun you say?

• Locked thread