Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Live At Five! posted:

I'm sick of modern shooters but I'd be interested in things set in the past if it's been overlooked, like WW1 or Korea. Hell even a Vietnam setting isn't as overdone as WW2 or modern shooters. My issue with the CoD style future setting is that it doesn't seem all that different from a modern setting, just with lasers and wall running. Plus something set in reality feels like it has more weight to it. BF1 got me to learn a hell of a lot more on WW1 than I would ever know if it was never made.

Give me a fuckin' Telltale M*A*S*H game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

That would own initially and then devolve into disappointment, but I'd still want to see it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

People liking different things are kind of weird yeah.

that's not what I'm saying dude c'mon

the future setting has lasted a few years and I've heard people complain about it from the beginning, whereas ww2 and modern military stuff lasted for like a decade each before people got tired of it (or I guess until devs thought they would in the case of modern military)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Live At Five! posted:

I'm sick of modern shooters but I'd be interested in things set in the past if it's been overlooked, like WW1 or Korea. Hell even a Vietnam setting isn't as overdone as WW2 or modern shooters. My issue with the CoD style future setting is that it doesn't seem all that different from a modern setting, just with lasers and wall running. Plus something set in reality feels like it has more weight to it. BF1 got me to learn a hell of a lot more on WW1 than I would ever know if it was never made.
'Nam is too dicey politically -- BF did one and got away with it (was it an expansion to BC2 or a standalone in that same generation?) but mostly because nobody noticed it; there was an off-brand Vietnam shooter around the same time I forget the name of that got a ton of heat and failed hard. Korea seems less of a hot-button issue but nobody knows anything about it ("the Forgotten War") and, whether it's correct or not, seems like a boring setting and the same weapons as WW2. I'm sure there are decent grognard strategy games in those settings but they're not gonna make for mass-market FPSes for at least a (human, not console) generation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there was a battlefield vietnam in 2004 and there was a vietnam expansion to bad company 2 in like 2011

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A Falklands War CoD would be a very exciting video game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

'Nam is too dicey politically -- BF did one and got away with it (was it an expansion to BC2 or a standalone in that same generation?) but mostly because nobody noticed it; there was an off-brand Vietnam shooter around the same time I forget the name of that got a ton of heat and failed hard. Korea seems less of a hot-button issue but nobody knows anything about it ("the Forgotten War") and, whether it's correct or not, seems like a boring setting and the same weapons as WW2. I'm sure there are decent grognard strategy games in those settings but they're not gonna make for mass-market FPSes for at least a (human, not console) generation.

The fact that nobody remembers battlefield vietnam is probably a bigger reason EA doesn't want to try it again :v:

Still holding out for 2143. I had some fun with 2142 revive a couple months ago but it is very 2006, and you have to get in that mindset to still enjoy it now. In other words a lot of it has aged like crap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Company 2 Vietnam was like the biggest effort DLC I've ever seen in a shooter. That would have been it's own game now.

God please give me a BC2 complete edition remaster. :pray: Everything about that game was bliss.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

veni veni veni posted:

Bad Company 2 Vietnam was like the biggest effort DLC I've ever seen in a shooter. That would have been it's own game now.

God please give me a BC2 complete edition remaster. :pray: Everything about that game was bliss.

Yeah that was a good game, good dlc, good time

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wasn't there a CoD Rising Sun or something like that about Vietnam?

Oh wait, that was Medal of Honor and it was about the Pacific, never mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JBP posted:

BLAKE WILL REMEMBER THIS. *boards helicopter*

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd like a remaster of that game but only if they add in some of the quality of life stuff from future games

declining revives (and not having a revive count as a death) alone would be huge

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cool detail I think I noticed in persona 5 that may or may not be a thing: The targets are all called out for one of the seven deadly sins in their calling card. Kamoshida's is lust, futaba's is sloth, and I don't quite remember madarame's and kanishiro's since I wasn't watching for it at the time, but I think they were envy and greed. I haven't seen anything past august but am interested to see if the rest of the targets keep this theme

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Battlefield Vietnam (the 2004 one) was drat fun and had the radio where you could put Edwin Starr while flying and shooting a M60. Then Bad Company 2 DLC came out and made an exelent game into a better one. :dice: nailed two vietnam games already.

Also yeah, loving give me Bad Company 1 and 2 on PS4 and they're day 1 purchases for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Digirat posted:

Cool detail I think I noticed in persona 5 that may or may not be a thing: The targets are all called out for one of the seven deadly sins in their calling card. Kamoshida's is lust, futaba's is sloth, and I don't quite remember madarame's and kanishiro's since I wasn't watching for it at the time, but I think they were envy and greed. I haven't seen anything past august but am interested to see if the rest of the targets keep this theme

:eng101: Also look at the boss's names when you fight them!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's baffling to me that so many people seem to hate the future stuff and want more modern/past stuff
Problem is really this...

Live At Five! posted:

My issue with the CoD style future setting is that it doesn't seem all that different from a modern setting, just with lasers and wall running
It's mostly been semi-tepid take.

Give me full blown BF 2143 in Bad Company 2 form with crazy destruction everywhere, an actual good Rush mode, fast paced no prone bullshit, with hover tanks and jetpacks and all the crazy 2142 kits (BC2 was the best recent FPS game :colbert:) and i'll be content for life

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Infinite Warfare had anti-grav grenades, which were cool.

Also on that front, zero-g combat was pretty rad. All the melee kills were pretty brutal and you used a grappling hook to kill people by puncturing their spacesuits and then used their bodies to leapfrog around the level

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
All this talk about CoD doing WW2 again and I realize that World at War is 9 years old now. Yeesh. Thay was pretty much the introduction of the zombie mode too.
I think the campaign focused on the Pacific for once, I remember there was some pretty horrible bits with flamethrowers. Not sure if that was cutscenes or gameplay though.

Digirat posted:

I'm gonna give a bit of a correction because like the 4 horsemen, this is a bit lost to time/pop culture, but technically there are 9 deadly sins. You fought Vanity/Vainglory, which has often been rolled into pride due to similarities. The other often forgotten sin is Despair, though I'm not sure if it's used yet/at all.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I watched that darksiders 3 trailer and it looks dumb as hell

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JBP posted:

That is a loving outstanding idea.

Also, Telltale Mr Belvedere.

Seriously though, it's real good.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What kind of other open-world game compares best to Horizon? Is it more like Far Cry, or maybe Witcher 3?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

John F Bennett posted:

What kind of other open-world game compares best to Horizon? Is it more like Far Cry, or maybe Witcher 3?

What you actually do in the open world is more similar to Far Cry but the storytelling and questing are more like TW3. I think it lands closer to the Witcher more often in this comparison. Mechanically Horizon is almost identical to the new Tomb Raiders.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 3, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This month's ps plus selection is pretty great. downside is that i already bought Tales from the Borderlands and Alienantion.
Tales of the Borderlands was really great. Some moments genuinely made me laugh and care. the openings of each chapter are great. It's the game that made me buy Borderlands the Handsome Collection.

I now have a few themes I like. Is there a way to make them rotate after a certain amount of days or something on the PS4?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

What you actually do in the open world is more similar to Far Cry but the storytelling and questing are more like TW3. I think it lands closer to the Witcher more often in this comparison. Mechanically Horizon is almost identical to the new Tomb Raiders.

I played Rise of the Tomb Raider after Horizon and let me tell you, Aloy felt much better to control and fight with than Lara in every possible way

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Sefal posted:

I now have a few themes I like. Is there a way to make them rotate after a certain amount of days or something on the PS4?

Manually change them every few days? :shrug:

I've never seen a rotation option.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Battlefield Vietnam was great. Make a sequel with better music I can blast out from my chopper. Give me a weapon that's just a portable radio.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

JBP posted:

I feel like things have gone bad because there aren't enough WW2 games out where you shoot Nazis.

They aren't nazis ! They were regular army wehrmacht!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Alienation is really really fun. Nice twin stick shooter with a pice of diablo loot system. Is any of the DLC good or is just cosmetic poo poo?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have .02c on Deception IV (PS4) for $20? Saw it a while ago and thought it looked terrible, but now while $20 sounds too high I'm tempted to grab it for some dumb goofball schlock to throw on with MY WIFE after some drinks.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Does MLB TV work ok PS 4

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Fix posted:

That is a loving outstanding idea.

Also, Telltale Mr Belvedere.

Only if there's a choice for "sit on your balls and they have to stop filming for a week"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk that I'm interested in any cod that doesn't have wall running and double jumps tbh
Yeah, as one of those idiots who buy CoD every year, I like the new movement/traversal options. When I got MW remastered with IW, I played it a few times and it was so loving slow with people just laying down in corners. I like crazy explosive devices, weird killstreaks and goomba stomping people.

Live At Five! posted:

The original Black Ops was set in Vietnam, though I only recall one MP map that was specifically jungle fighting.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Solve those issues by making the plot of CoD WW2 that future soldiers travel back in time to help the USA win!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
New title is great.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don't care what they do with CoD so long as Modern Warfare 2 Remastered happens, preferably this year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MW2 is when the singleplayer of the series went to total poo poo.

I couldn't believe those favela levels where you gun down approximately sixteen thousand Brazilians

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MW2 is when the singleplayer of the series went to total poo poo.

I couldn't believe those favela levels where you gun down approximately sixteen thousand Brazilians

I do not want MW2R for the single player

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just want to play CoD4 on my PS4 without buying the last turd, but I know they'll price it 40€ or something crazy.

MW2 in 1080p would be nice too and I really liked the spec ops missions aside from the unending goon mortaring with One Man Army. Good old times!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hot take COD hasn't been good since MW1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It hasn't been good since CoD2 :colbert: