Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

I hope Lance Stroll Senna's into Max Verstappen.
I don't think this got seconded enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hasegawa gave another vague answer about Alonso's problem.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hasegawa gave another vague answer about Alonso's problem.

It's that his McLaren is powered by Honda

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

It's that his McLaren is powered by Honda

I wouldn't say it's powered, Bob.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I just read this and my first thought was "would it have been a record if there were no overtakes?"

quote:

After a processional start in Australia, China and Bahrain were better races. However, in Russia last weekend, there was just a single passing move all race.

Germany's Auto Bild points out that even the notorious six-car race at Indianapolis in 2005 boasted more overtaking than that.

A year ago at Sochi, there were 29 overtakes.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36340.html

The FIA decided that 1 overtake is more than enough for them, so they are not making any changes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I believe the 1999 Spanish Grand Prix had Zero Overtakes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also what do you want F1 to do? Radically change the aero rules halfway through a season?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also what do you want F1 to do? Radically change the aero rules halfway through a season?

Yes, it'd be drat amusing.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I believe the 1999 Spanish Grand Prix had Zero Overtakes.

How do you know/remember poo poo like that? :psyduck:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

I presume he's not dyslexic and/or not suffering from dementia

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was wrong, Spain 1999 had One Overtake. Some site has a database of overtakes in GPs (excluding first lap overtakes), and Zero Overtakes has happened three times: Valencia 2009, Indy 2005, and Monaco 2003. Strangely I remember Monaco 2003 being a pretty fun race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also lol.

Remember this when you hear someone who used to complain about how bad DRS was and then how bad the racing is now.

I'm also glad this confirms how loving awful the 2005 season was. Probably the biggest surprise is that 1992 is still relatively high.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GramCracker posted:

I think everybody flipped out about it at the time. I remember it too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hot take on the lack of overtaking: Maybe if it becomes so much of an issue teams will use their hundreds of millions making it so their cars are able to overtake easier.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, Spain '99 was very poor and resulted in a slew of "F1 is dying" articles from the press.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also lol.

Remember this when you hear someone who used to complain about how bad DRS was and then how bad the racing is now.

I'm also glad this confirms how loving awful the 2005 season was. Probably the biggest surprise is that 1992 is still relatively high.

'92 isn't that surprising as some of the midfield to lower midfield was relatively close. poo poo season however.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Actually the most shocking thing in that graph is that 2008 apparently had fewer overtakes than 2007 despite me remembering 2008 as an astounding on-track season. Maybe it was mostly due to dramatic collisions and retirements, in retrospect.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, Spain '99 was very poor and resulted in a slew of "F1 is dying" articles from the press.

The big problem is Cataluyna itself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also I think a lot of the drop from about 1993 to 1997 can be attributed to the grid thinning out and the truly hopeless teams being priced out of the sport.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also I think a lot of the drop from about 1993 to 1997 can be attributed to the grid thinning out and the truly hopeless teams being priced out of the sport.

That and the fact that all the minor engine manufacturers left in that period too. Before that you might have been able to turn the engine up a bit on Saturday to get a decent grid position and the turn it down and pray for some points on Sunday.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching some Forti FG01 footage and that thing was abysmally slow. Probably the last garagiste car.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
random question that mclaren's current predicament left me wondering about, but I can't really find much online that gives any insight to:

1) why did McLaren dump Peugeot so quickly in 1994? compared to honda right now they were light years ahead and at least could achieve podiums when they weren't blowing up, so surely there was potential. how were they in a position to back out of the peugeot agreement back then, but not honda now, given that it's that much worse results wise

2) why were honda so intent to get rid of david richards as part of their buyout of BAR in 2005? 2004 was BAR's best season and from all accounts richards had turned the team around, why would it make sense to get rid of the guy behind it all in place of nick loving fry

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't know the answer to number 2, but the answer to number 1 was the Peugeot engine was a complete dog and they got a great deal from Mercedes to run their motors. I think McLaren was hoping to get Renault there for a while, but Williams put a stop to that. They should've stuck with Ford, but I think Ron got into a fight with them.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alonsos first Indy test at this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk

He wants to pass the rookie test on the first day

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129286/what-alonso-first-day-at-indy-will-involve

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 3, 2017

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

dentist toy box posted:

LOL I was born the day senna died.
Does that mean that Senna died so that you could be with us here today? Or are you Senna reincarnated?

Tony Montana posted:

youre the same age as Dakota Fanning. Please never speak to me again

I think it's more worrying that you either: a) knew when Dakota Fanning was born; or b) googled "celebrities born in 1994" just so you could make "dentist toy box" feel bad.

Shame on you.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I hope Lewis Hamilton emulates his childhood hero Ayrton Senna.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Damon Hill was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Twice.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

Damon Hill was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Twice.

He and Lewis would be joint winners every year if there was any justice in the world.

Didn't they also give Vettel the "Johnny Foreigner" sports personality award once?

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 3, 2017

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I go away for a handful of days and you lot go all Gordon bloody Ramsey on me.

For what it's worth, I had chicken nuggets and potato letters for dinner last night. With ketchuip and BBQ sauce to dip in. I am 37 years old and made this decision all by myself (my carer wasn't looking).

I also fell asleep halfway through the Russian GP but it sounds like I didn't miss much. I woke up, as I always do when I fall asleep during an F1 race, just in time to see the podium.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Wasn't the lack of overtaking or even attempts at overtaking just because everybody was behind a faster car? Like everyone just drove away from the guy behind, nobody was stuck behind someone slower.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

:newfap:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Laziest paintjob ever but the weird thing is on an Indycar it almost looks like they actually have sponsors.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What're them duke boys up to now.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Nice to see they were saving the good paint scheme for may.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

Laziest paintjob ever but the weird thing is on an Indycar it almost looks like they actually have sponsors.

They have a decent number of sponsors, it's just that more and more are smaller deals or shared with other teams. Like they replaced TAG Heuer with Richard Mille, a considerably less prestigious company that you will also find on the Haas.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dudley posted:

It may be lazy, but it's infinitely better than the loving livery-by-committee horse poo poo they have on their F1 car. Paint the fucker orange and be done. It's the approach that saved Force India from their original lovely livery.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah it definitely looks better than the third trimester abortion that is their F1 paint scheme.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhopunzel posted:

random question that mclaren's current predicament left me wondering about, but I can't really find much online that gives any insight to:

1) why did McLaren dump Peugeot so quickly in 1994? compared to honda right now they were light years ahead and at least could achieve podiums when they weren't blowing up, so surely there was potential. how were they in a position to back out of the peugeot agreement back then, but not honda now, given that it's that much worse results wise

Ron thought that based on Peugeot's endurance racing success that they would also achieve the same in F1. This did not turn out to be the case. He wanted a works deal, and Mercedes came calling at the right time so he dumped Peugeot. In hindsight that was the right move, but remember the 1995 McLaren was also a dud of car. There are no other works deals available now, so they are stuck with Honda. In addition, 1995 McLaren was in a much more favourable position than 2014 McLaren; Peugeot wasn't propping up the team and neither were Mercedes.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

5 minutes til Alonso is killed again.

• Locked thread