Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, I'll definitely try that. It's weird because 7 ran absolutely flawlessly (I even was able to game with it) but 10 is struggling hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

IUG posted:

Despite some graphical glitches, this works fine. Thanks!

I'm just taking the folder it generates, using Terminal to create an ISO out of the files, and giving it to Kodi. Plays without a problem.

I used to use RipIt, but a few years ago it went long periods without being updated and no longer worked on some newer DVDs at the time with updated copy protection. Around the same time, LittleAppFactory, makers of RipIt, closed their discussion forums and looked like they might be circling the drain (they weren't though). I finally gave up on them and switched to Mac DVDRipper Pro (MDRP) and have been very happy with it. It gets updated frequently for bug fixes and to add new DVDs to its database. MDRP may also have a a couple more features than RipIt does, I'm not sure, but they both do pretty much the same thing.

Never had an issue using my credit card with them and never worried about them being trustworthy.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Quick FileVault questions. When does the recovery key get displayed? When you start the process or when it's finally done?

And if you choose the iCloud key storage option, can you change your mind later and generate a new recovery key?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ibntumart posted:

Quick FileVault questions. When does the recovery key get displayed? When you start the process or when it's finally done?

And if you choose the iCloud key storage option, can you change your mind later and generate a new recovery key?

If you used iCloud to escrow the private key, it won't display a recovery key.

If you change your mind, you need to decrypt and then re-encrypt. The recovery key will be displayed once only before the encryption starts.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

flosofl posted:

If you used iButt to escrow the private key, it won't display a recovery key.

If you change your mind, you need to decrypt and then re-encrypt. The recovery key will be displayed once only before the encryption starts.

I think Apple just says that so they don't have to deal with morons loving things up. You can use fdesetup from the command line to manage your keys. You'd need to add your local account, add a personal recovery key, and remove the iCloud account.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's not a more elegant way to integrate GPGTools with MS Outlook 16 than Services->PGPServices, right? :(

I ended up switching from Mail.app/Calendar.app to Outlook because tbh I like it more (and Calendar was having some weirdness with my work Exchange) but I forgot I use GPG quite often to send stuff back and forth to consultants. It's not insurmountable but attaching encrypted files is a pain in the butt now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of morons, I joined the club when switching out an encrypted SSD for a client; turns out when you enable FV2 on a startup device, seems that it locks the logic board into wanting only to boot from that encrypted device. I already transplanted the new SSD with migrated system before decrypting old SSD.

Tried zapping PRAM, disconnecting battery for 10 minutes, setting new startup disk in Recovery partition, always got the blinking question mark folder. Holding down option might work for one or two boots but eventually it goes back to only booting from the encrypted device.

Be interested if someone came across this before or has any thoughts. Wound up decrypting the original and then selecting new SSD connected via USB enclosure before it'd work properly, this on a 15-inch Late 2013 rMBP running latest Sierra.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
All of a sudden, Quicktime Player's "export to youtube" function doesn't work. Exporting anything, even a video I've successfully exported before, results in a "Cannot Decode The media data could not be decoded. It may be damaged." message.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
A brand loving new OS X Sierra Installation fails to yield a functional way to connect via Apple Remote Desktop without physically walking to the computer, disabling Remote Management, enabling Screen Sharing, disabling screen sharing, and re-enabling Remote Management.

gently caress. You. Apple.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

McDeth posted:

A brand loving new OS X Sierra Installation fails to yield a functional way to connect via Apple Remote Desktop without physically walking to the computer, disabling Remote Management, enabling Screen Sharing, disabling screen sharing, and re-enabling Remote Management.

it's called macOS now

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

McDeth posted:

e: double post oops!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
As an update to my Parallels problem, the W10 install ended up making GBS threads itself and I somehow didn't have a time machine backup so I just nuked the whole thing and started fresh. It works fine now.

I only really use it if I need to look up how to do something in windows when troubleshooting with clients, so it wasn't a big loss.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the current best decompression app? I need to decompress a bunch of 7z and RAR.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Unarchiver and keka are still fine, as far as I know. I switched to Entropy because I liked the interface a bit better, but it's all whatever you prefer.

Also these are covered in the OP that I'm just gonna delete since no one looks at it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Aw I'm sorry dude I read the first post but didn't scroll to the second. My bad...

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I would be happy with something that resembles winRAR. Like basic two plane. I'll try all 3 out.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

IUG posted:

I'm trying to backup my DVD collection to ISO, as some of them are starting to have problems playing (I suspect disk rot has taken a few already). I don't want to use Handbrake, since I want to get the menus, special features, etc into Kodi. Googling this brings up either out of date information such as FairMount, or paid programs that I don't trust giving my credit card information to. Is there something that someone can suggest that will let me get that data backed up?

This is old, but I did this for 20 DVDs a week or so ago. If you can't use dvdbackup to just pull the folder (which works fine in most media playback software, a simple "dvdbackup -M -i /dev/whatever -o dvd_folder" will work), you can use ddrescue (You might need libdvdcss).

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

iFixit is sometimes wrong about Mac laptops, but these are fine.

Before anyone asks, I believe it was the 2013 MacBook Pro logic board replacements.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

This is old, but I did this for 20 DVDs a week or so ago. If you can't use dvdbackup to just pull the folder (which works fine in most media playback software, a simple "dvdbackup -M -i /dev/whatever -o dvd_folder" will work), you can use ddrescue (You might need libdvdcss).

Thanks. I filled my hard drive just this morning, but will give this a try when I get more space.

12 seasons of the Simpsons... :doh:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is there a way to selectively dim windows?

It'd be cool to dim my Firefox window with SA dim while keeping Netflix at full brightness.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
How so I stop the macosx from deciding to randomly killing background tray processes.

I am running karabiner and it feels it's up to the whim of the mood of the MacBook if it lives or not after an hour or two.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

How so I stop the macosx from deciding to randomly killing background tray processes.

I am running karabiner and it feels it's up to the whim of the mood of the MacBook if it lives or not after an hour or two.

Uh, that's possibly the process crashing? Is that application compatible with Sierra?

macOS shouldn't be closing any process 'on a whim', it's not iOS.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

Uh, that's possibly the process crashing? Is that application compatible with Sierra?

macOS shouldn't be closing any process 'on a whim', it's not iOS.

Google: "Karabiner does not work on macOS Sierra at the moment. "

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
macOS actually does have an automatic app quit feature. If you want to see it, open Quicktime, close all its document windows, and switch to another app; sooner or later it will silently go away.

Iirc from watching a wwdc video a few years ago, it's an optional feature app developers can choose to enable in any app built around the Cocoa document model. If no documents are open in such an app, macOS can safely quit it.

Of course in this case karabiner is probably crashing because what developer would enable this in their background services app

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

Aw I'm sorry dude I read the first post but didn't scroll to the second. My bad...

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I would be happy with something that resembles winRAR. Like basic two plane. I'll try all 3 out.

MacPar Deluxe?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Smashing Link posted:

Not on Sierra and now super glad I'm not.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements/blob/master/README.md

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BobHoward posted:

macOS actually does have an automatic app quit feature. If you want to see it, open Quicktime, close all its document windows, and switch to another app; sooner or later it will silently go away.

Iirc from watching a wwdc video a few years ago, it's an optional feature app developers can choose to enable in any app built around the Cocoa document model. If no documents are open in such an app, macOS can safely quit it.

Of course in this case karabiner is probably crashing because what developer would enable this in their background services app

Xcode does this, and I hate it. :(

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

MacPar Deluxe?
Keka is not bad. Been sticking with it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

BobHoward posted:

Double Punctuation posted:

Xcode does this, and I hate it. :(

I almost wish it did actually quit the app, because then it would release it's hold over recently opened files. It's more like a suspend/hibernate feature. Handy in safari, not so great for like, text edit.

It annoys me the most in like Preview or Quicktime, because sometimes when it suspends the app, it doesn't release the last file you were looking at, so if you try to delete the file you get an error and then have to reopen the program to quit it properly.

That said, I'm pretty sure there's a) a universal off switch for app nap somewhere in system preferences, and b) a per-app setting. Can't remember where the last one is, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How I love it when they add new features that nobody needs or asked for and make the system less stable, presumably to pad the "new features announced at wwdc" count.

discoveryd

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Anyone have anything particularly good/bad to say about VMWare Fusion 8.5, especially in terms of how well it's supported W10 after each of its major updates (Anniversary, Creators, etc.)? I've been a long-time Parallels user for running Windows VMs on my Macs, but since 10 they've gone to a very aggressive (yearly) release schedule with each new version being a full paid upgrade, and support for previous versions have become downright terrible. This combined with the license being per machine rather than per user has driven me to ponder switching to VMWare Fusion, which at least has a much better license (unlimited number of machines for personal use).

However, there was a lot of talk about them laying off a large number of people last year and the future of VMWare Fusion being in doubt. That they did a version 8.5 rather than expected 9 would indicate there might be something to it, so I'm a little reluctant to switch if I end up having to find yet another option a year or two down the road.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I switched from Parallels and Fusion to Veertu. So far it's good for my uses. Give it a shot to see if it's good enough for your uses -- no reason not to since it's free.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There's no way to use Veertu with a boot camp disk, is there?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

There's no way to use Veertu with a boot camp disk, is there?
Not as far as I know.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I switched from Parallels and Fusion to Veertu. So far it's good for my uses. Give it a shot to see if it's good enough for your uses -- no reason not to since it's free.

Oh, I actually hadn't heard of this until now. Their website isn't terribly clear on exactly what it supports though, and a (possibly outdated) review says you need to pay for the $40 premium edition to support Windows?

I guess I'll have to make some time to poke at it. Does it support importing of VMs from Parallels? That's really a must-have feature - I'd much rather pay some money than deal with completely re-setting up my VMs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GokieKS posted:

Oh, I actually hadn't heard of this until now. Their website isn't terribly clear on exactly what it supports though, and a (possibly outdated) review says you need to pay for the $40 premium edition to support Windows?
Most early information about Veertu is now wrong. They're still trying to figure out how to monetize, but Veertu is now free as best as I can tell. They announced a related product last week for developers, but it doesn't relate to my uses. Veertu is basically just a front end for Apple's own Hypervisor.Framework for native VM support.

It might not be worth investing time into for production work, but for someone like me who occasionally needs to spin up a VM, it's fine and beats paying for Parallels annually. With regard to your original question, I wouldn't invest in Fusion at this point. All signs point to that dying on the vine.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, I'm using Veertu on my MBA for occasional Windows use because it feels "lighter" than VMware Fusion and doesn't require external daemons or kexts, as SWSP mentioned. Works really well even with VMs stored on a slow internal "nifty drive" microSD.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Most early information about Veertu is now wrong. They're still trying to figure out how to monetize, but Veertu is now free as best as I can tell. They announced a related product last week for developers, but it doesn't relate to my uses. Veertu is basically just a front end for Apple's own Hypervisor.Framework for native VM support.

It might not be worth investing time into for production work, but for someone like me who occasionally needs to spin up a VM, it's fine and beats paying for Parallels annually. With regard to your original question, I wouldn't invest in Fusion at this point. All signs point to that dying on the vine.

Ah, OK. Have you gone through a major W10 update on a VM in Veertu? That was one of the issues I had with Parallels, as major updates (e.g. Anniversary Update) would cause problems, and they were not fixed in a terribly brisk manner on the older versions.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GokieKS posted:

Have you gone through a major W10 update on a VM in Veertu?
I haven't. The only VM I have kicking around at the moment is for Windows 7, which plays nicer with the embedded toolchain I was working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I hadn't heard of this — how does it compare to VirtualBox?