Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

now she has 3 kids from 3 different fathers and one time she threatened to beat up my wife!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I once took a job interview at a glass installation place where the job description was essentially "turn my business around." I immediately identified the problem:

- They didn't answer the phone.
- They didn't care about getting bad reviews.
- They didn't want to do business outside of a 5 mile radius of themselves.

It was the easiest challenge in the world. I didn't take it as soon as payments under the table came into play

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Ehud posted:

now she has 3 kids from 3 different fathers and one time she threatened to beat up my wife!!
Could she beat up your wife?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Jeez my dad used to just offer some burn outs at the bar a six pack to help him do some poo poo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my first job out of college was selling tennis courts and tennis court repavings

repaving a tennis court is a relatively simple job, and a standard double costs about 6k. the job takes about 5 days all said and done, and it takes three guys and a truck to pull it off. it lasts he neighborhood a summer, and will get you through league season, but will crack again in winter.

HOAs shell out 6k every single year just to get their tennis courts redone. 20k gets you a 5 year fix, but they would never do that.

The guy I worked for hated doing government jobs. He hated doing big jobs. He just wanted to do little 6k jobs at a time, and do a poo poo load of them.

My whole job was to answer emails, drive out, and shake hands.

That dude got like 10 mil a year doing that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ehud posted:

I mean would you let her

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Could she beat up your wife?

Probably. My wife is small and nice and my sister is big and psychotic

ZenVulgarity posted:

I mean would you let her

lol that's what was so funny about the threat

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
gently caress me the SF paralegal quit so now I'm back to managing two offices.

Of course he's going to some startup after a few months with our firm.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We're almost done with construction on our house, and there's a massive worker shortage thanks to worker visas getting squashed. Luckily, ours isn't affected, but like 90% of the construction workforce here is foreign (as is the logical conclusion of having little to no training/apprenticeships and being a short flight from the Philippines/China), and no one else can get their construction projects going.

I keep walking around our place like every step could break something, even though it's almost entirely concrete and will withstand earthquakes/typhoons.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There are a lot of good, honest and professional contractors out there. Thing is, they're worth their weight in gold and charge accordingly. Homeowners meanwhile are cheap fuckers who hire the dude that offers the lowest price and pie in the sky timelines.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
anyone else catch that thread of the goon who hated contractors and decided to redo his own bathroom and ended up cutting a bunch of support structures out of his walls and floorboards

a good thread

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Somehow, our cheap little dude is coming through on his price and timeline, I have no idea how. His proposal was like 25% under the next guy. We've been watching him and the house like every other day, expecting to see cardboard stuffed into some holes or something, or lovely painting/tiling, but dude's killin it. I'll update when the other shoe drops.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

anyone else catch that thread of the goon who hated contractors and decided to redo his own bathroom and ended up cutting a bunch of support structures out of his walls and floorboards

a good thread

relevant to my interests link pls

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464

The fun starts near the bottom of page 1.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Somehow, our cheap little dude is coming through on his price and timeline, I have no idea how. His proposal was like 25% under the next guy. We've been watching him and the house like every other day, expecting to see cardboard stuffed into some holes or something, or lovely painting/tiling, but dude's killin it. I'll update when the other shoe drops.

This is either a young or new contractor that hasn't figured out what he's worth yet, and it's entirely possible that you lucked into this circumstance

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

when i got back from the subcontinent i again worked in sales for a contractor, but this time for some random rear end in a top hat who was the brother of another boss i had

he was part of this Lowe's preferred contractor program. People would go to Lowe's needing whatever done on their house, and they would put their name in this database. Then Lowe's preferred contractors would call them and bid on their problem. In return, the contractors only bought Lowe's materials and got a slight profit.

My job was to call these people, sift through the rubbish (yeah i got like 10 things i need done just come over here and we'll work through it) and find the gems.

The basic jobs we wanted were thus:

Leaky faucet: these were gold. Always took 10 minutes to fix, whether they were repairable or needed replacing. We always told them to just go ahead and buy a new fixture. 9/10 its what they needed anyway. If we could fix it without them using it, they could just return it for a refund. That was 150 a pop for the visit and fix, and that was pretty standard as far as I could tell.

Painting: we had some hispanic picasso as a subcontractor, and we charged per room and per trim. This guy was amazing, and we had people falling all over themselves to overpay us for him. That was easy money. It was 120 a room as far as I remember.

Gutters: our big thing was we had a truck that could cut them. We were a little more expensive, but as far as I could tell we were on the up and up here. That was a flat rate per foot.

Decks: again, on the up and up. We did tons of decks.

Now, where this company was a complete poo poo show fraud was mitigation, or major home dmg from a tree falling, or water, etc. The way this works is if someone has significant home damage it's generally covered in their homeowners insurance. Therefore anything that needs to be repaired is covered and no one asks any questions. However, there's always a big give and take between the contractor/company doing the repairs and the insurance company for obvious reasons.

There are big companies that focus only on mitigation. if you ever have water damage in your house, call servpro and forget about it. Do not call a small contractor.

On two specific instances I was the first person to respond to a major mitigation problem, they were both old couples, and I sounded trust worthy. BTW i do.

I went out to the sight, took the pictures, shook the hands, and got them to sign exclusivity contracts. My boss brought in his dehumidifiers, introduced himself, etc.

Both of these happened relatively close to each other so I didn't realize what was happening.

He then strung them along for months arguing with their insurance companies. Meanwhile their roof was destroyed in one case, or their basement was flooded out in the other.

Every single loving day I answered their calls and told them any day now we'd star the full rebuild.

I quit after that bullshit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

relevant to my interests link pls

link already sent but here is something to whet your appetite

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

This is either a young or new contractor that hasn't figured out what he's worth yet, and it's entirely possible that you lucked into this circumstance

I'm guessing it's the latter. He's done a ton of projects, and his crew can do p much everything well - the only thing they've subcontracted out has been painting and tiling. He doesn't speak much English, though, that's probably the only thing holding him back. But we're somehow able to communicate, he knows enough to get the point across.

I'll post pics after it's done, we have a secret spiral stairs behind a bookcase, and a waterfall out back.

The waterfall wasn't planned.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Best posts by the OP:

quote:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

quote:

Apparently you've never bought a house with a wife? Under most circumstances the wife makes the final say on whether or not a couple buys a home. I've heard this from the many real estate agents I've worked with in the past that assure me this is most often the case.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

jesus christ he cut his floor joists out and sistered them in with osb oh my god

e: lol, he didn't cut out normal floors joists, they looked like paricle board bc they were engineered laminate beams, but still just as horrifying

D-LINK fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2017

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Abugadu posted:

I'm guessing it's the latter. He's done a ton of projects, and his crew can do p much everything well - the only thing they've subcontracted out has been painting and tiling. He doesn't speak much English, though, that's probably the only thing holding him back. But we're somehow able to communicate, he knows enough to get the point across.

I'll post pics after it's done, we have a secret spiral stairs behind a bookcase, and a waterfall out back.

The waterfall wasn't planned.

People say the American dream is dead, and that dude is living it

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't know anything about carpentry. What's going on in this pic? Wouldn't you fall through if you put a floor on that?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bad Moon posted:

I don't know anything about carpentry. What's going on in this pic? Wouldn't you fall through if you put a floor on that?

He's cutout some of the support and is going to put a tub on it.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

The perpindicular boards inside of the hole are the structural part of the floor, and run the length of the room (and in some cases the entire length of a house) called floor joists, so they are not only supporting the floor of the room, but the weight of the whole room (or entire storey). Where I live, most houses are made with board lumber (2x12s usually), but his are laminate composite engineered floor joists that that look like wooden i-beams. He cut these, jeopardizing the structural integrity of his entire house

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bad Moon posted:

Neither do I, but the thread is pretty good, you know you hosed up when people don't even have a big reaction, just a "uh, I'm not an engineer but you need to stop, like, immediately."

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bayona in New Orleans is loving poo poo don't waste your time.

Overpriced garbage food and garbage service. Waited over an hour for food that wasn't cooked right. Ate it and left because we were tired of the place.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The perpindicular boards inside of the hole are the structural part of the floor, and run the length of the room (and in some cases the entire length of a house) called floor joists, so they are not only supporting the floor of the room, but the weight of the whole room (or entire storey). Where I live, most houses are made with board lumber (2x12s usually), but his are laminate composite engineered floor joists that that look like wooden i-beams. He cut these, jeopardizing the structural integrity of his entire house

Just to elaborate:

This guy took a nice, recently built and perfectly fine bathroom and tore it up. In this particular photo we can see that he took a saw to the floor and sliced up parts of the floor.

The engineered floor joists have a cross-section that looks like a capital I, you know, with the bars top and bottom. ][
It has that shape for the same reasons as an I-beam; the top and bottom bars give it rigidity in one dimension and the center bar gives it rigidity in the other. He sliced off the top bar.

Unlike normal wooden floor joists, this cannot be repaired by simply sistering new pieces of wood to the old ones. I do not know exactly what needs to be done to fix this, but importantly, neither does the dude. He did it without any clue what the consequences would be and then started trying to engineer his own solution.

And why did he do this extremely stupid thing? Because he wants a tub that is sunk into the floor a couple of inches. That's it. He thinks the thousands of dollars of damage he did is still worthwhile because having a tub that is sunk into the floor by a couple of inches is a huge improvement. Because you know, women, right? Wives? They're gonna flip!

I've never seen a tub sunk into a floor but I'm pretty sure if you decided to do that, you'd do it on the ground floor of your house. Not, as is the case here, on the second story.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Just to elaborate:

This guy took a nice, recently built and perfectly fine bathroom and tore it up. In this particular photo we can see that he took a saw to the floor and sliced up parts of the floor.

The engineered floor joists have a cross-section that looks like a capital I, you know, with the bars top and bottom. ][
It has that shape for the same reasons as an I-beam; the top and bottom bars give it rigidity in one dimension and the center bar gives it rigidity in the other. He sliced off the top bar.

Unlike normal wooden floor joists, this cannot be repaired by simply sistering new pieces of wood to the old ones. I do not know exactly what needs to be done to fix this, but importantly, neither does the dude. He did it without any clue what the consequences would be and then started trying to engineer his own solution.

And why did he do this extremely stupid thing? Because he wants a tub that is sunk into the floor a couple of inches. That's it. He thinks the thousands of dollars of damage he did is still worthwhile because having a tub that is sunk into the floor by a couple of inches is a huge improvement. Because you know, women, right? Wives? They're gonna flip!

I've never seen a tub sunk into a floor but I'm pretty sure if you decided to do that, you'd do it on the ground floor of your house. Not, as is the case here, on the second story.

The best part is that if he wasn't a flawed weirdo who imagined that he would get praise from the internet for his DIY project, he probably would not have ever known how stupid this was until after he put approximately a thousand pounds of tub and tile directly on top of the weak spot he created, then filled his gigantic tub with several hundred more pounds of water, and promptly fell through the floor as his house collapsed like Jenga on top of him

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Did anyone else look at the first pics and think "oh wow, he did a good job on the remodel!"?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

crappy goon construction?

What the gently caress is going on with them stairs.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The best part was 5 people telling him to stop and call an engineer, then engineer telling him he's hosed and him trying to just plow aheas anyway.

Then people just startrd pissing in the well.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Durandal1707 posted:

groverhaus

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The best part is that if he wasn't a flawed weirdo who imagined that he would get praise from the internet for his DIY project, he probably would not have ever known how stupid this was until after he put approximately a thousand pounds of tub and tile directly on top of the weak spot he created, then filled his gigantic tub with several hundred more pounds of water, and promptly fell through the floor as his house collapsed like Jenga on top of him

He also used the excuse that he wasn't going to use the tub much so it was fine.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Just for loving

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also used the excuse that he wasn't going to use the tub much so it was fine.

Goon hubris owns

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

quote:

Stuff about house

:psyduck:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

what is everyone doing today

i am working at work

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Enjoying a day off by having a morning cup o' coffee.

Life's nice when I don't have to worry about my job.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ehud posted:

what is everyone doing today

i am working at work

Writing from home, which is also work because work is remote.

Really should start shooting video, but it's kinda tough on your own in an apartment like mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Durandal1707 posted:

They're insulated.

• Locked thread