Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

They're playing Roland and the Man in Black in the Dark Tower movie adaptation and they've apparently decided the best way to to promote the movie is to be like those weirdos who role play on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Baron Corbyn posted:

They're playing Roland and the Man in Black in the Dark Tower movie adaptation and they've apparently decided the best way to to promote the movie is to be like those weirdos who role play on Twitter.

Don't you know that's what the young hip kids are up to these days what with their twitter games and the tablets and such

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You want my tower ;) ;)

Dumb but kinda cute in the new context, I suppose.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Platystemon posted:

People watching hate videos aren’t the kind of people who flag hate videos for offensive content. :ssh:

They are, they just don't flag the same videos they're watching :v:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess one of the things about policing hate speech is that it puts Google/Twitter/Facebook etc in the position of making political judgments on what constitutes it - and the judgments are going to be entirely subjective per whoever's got the job of filtering them. It's a great way to alienate vast swathes of their users - no wonder they're reluctant to do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

The screenshot cuts off, but this was actually a lead-up to each of them posting a short preview of the full trailer that's coming out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Are they flirting

The tower is his penis.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I guess one of the things about policing hate speech is that it puts Google/Twitter/Facebook etc in the position of making political judgments on what constitutes it - and the judgments are going to be entirely subjective per whoever's got the job of filtering them. It's a great way to alienate vast swathes of their users - no wonder they're reluctant to do it.

And I think that's the thing, it's deciding between losing a large userbase, or losing major sponsors. Either way, they're losing money.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Is this a good time to make a consumer unfriendly announcement?

American Airlines: Sure!

http://twitter.com/CNN/status/859775482421706752

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well, Facebook just announced they're adding 3000 employees to monitor live feed content for serious poo poo.

Which I guess is a good reason Google hasn't really done the same. Facebook Live is seeing some pretty strong growth, but it's nothing like YouTube. So if it takes 3k more people just to keep up with Facebook's video system, it'd probably take an order of magnitude more for Google.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Are they doing it to look out for content that'd be unappealing to advertisers, or is it in response to someone murdering somebody while livestreaming? Because I think its a separate thing that Google's going through with YouTube.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Are they doing it to look out for content that'd be unappealing to advertisers, or is it in response to someone murdering somebody while livestreaming? Because I think its a separate thing that Google's going through with YouTube.

Its the murder thing. You wouldnt buy a facebook live stream ad without already having the talent locked down.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

Is this a good time to make a consumer unfriendly announcement?

American Airlines: Sure!

http://twitter.com/CNN/status/859775482421706752

Presumably with the courtesy chainsaw?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DancingShade posted:

Presumably with the courtesy chainsaw?

Fun fact: the bone‐cutting chainsaw predates the wood‐cutting chainsaw by a century.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why don't airlines just cut the bullshit and start stacking us like cordwood? Or make all economy standing room only.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why don't airlines just cut the bullshit and start stacking us like cordwood? Or make all economy standing room only.

If we could only get rid of those pesky FAA regulations, we could cram planes so full as to be embarrassing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or make all economy standing room only.
The owner of Ryan Air wanted to do this for his short haul, international flights

SpacePig posted:

If we could only get rid of those pesky FAA regulations, we could cram planes so full as to be embarrassing.
And this was the only reason he didn't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8779388.stm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/feb/28/ryanair-standing-only-plane-tickets-regulator

quote:

Under the scheme, a Boeing 737-800 would be fitted out with 15 rows of seats and 10 rows of standing berths. Michael O'Leary, the budget airline's chief executive, said: "We have asked the question could we run some trials on this and the immediate response is somewhat negative."

Asked how upright passengers would cope without seatbelts, he said the refitted airplane would resemble a classic London Underground train with its distinctive ball-and-strap fittings, saying: "Same as on the London Underground, handrails and straps.".

The Ryanair boss said seated passengers would be charged £25 per ticket with standing customers paying between £1 and £5 for their fares on a flight that would take the average capacity of a flight from 189 passengers to 230.

The proposal is the latest in a series of unrealised cost-cutting ruses that have earned the carrier free publicity and criticism from safety experts.

O'Leary has claimed in the past that the carrier was looking at charging passengers for using the toilet, in a bid to limit loo facilities on planes and replace them with extra seats.

Ryanair has also suggested it would put passengers in the hull – in bunks – and has called for flights with only one pilot instead of the usual two.

Speaking at a press conference in London, O'Leary said he was undeterred by the knockback from the unnamed regulator, although he declined to comment on whether Ryanair had approached the US Federal Aviation Administration or the European Aviation Safety Agency. "I think ultimately it would happen," said O'Leary.

spog has a new favorite as of 14:53 on May 4, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Delta is clueless about united,

Family With Infant Children Booted Off Delta Flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7pM8IyxpTc

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lime Tonics posted:

Delta is clueless about united,

Family With Infant Children Booted Off Delta Flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7pM8IyxpTc

Booted because the guy bought a ticket for a seat to keep his infant child in in a car seat rather than carrying him as a lap child, which isn't even necessarily allowed. You can bet they're going to give that seat to someone who can actually use it. The guy keeps saying "But I bought that seat for him, it's my seat," utterly ignoring that car seats are *car* seats, not *airplane* seats, and you can't safely fly infants on a plane that way. Seriously, this is an FAA requirement: if an infant or small child is in his own seat, he must be in an FAA-approved restraint system. Some car seats are FAA-approved for air travel, but many are not.

"But the only way he'll sleep is in his car seat." Well then maybe flying isn't for you.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Phanatic posted:

Seriously, this is an FAA requirement: if an infant or small child is in his own seat, he must be in an FAA-approved restraint system. Some car seats are FAA-approved for air travel, but many are not.

So their solution was to tell him that he must hold his child? That seems like a worse idea.

FAA posted:

Did you know that the safest place for your child on an airplane is in a government-approved child safety restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap? Your arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence.
https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

Seems like there was some serious miscommunication considering the lady said that a child under 2 couldn't have a seat at all and not that his car seat was not also approved for air travel.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Phanatic posted:

Booted because the guy bought a ticket for a seat to keep his infant child in in a car seat rather than carrying him as a lap child, which isn't even necessarily allowed. You can bet they're going to give that seat to someone who can actually use it. The guy keeps saying "But I bought that seat for him, it's my seat," utterly ignoring that car seats are *car* seats, not *airplane* seats, and you can't safely fly infants on a plane that way. Seriously, this is an FAA requirement: if an infant or small child is in his own seat, he must be in an FAA-approved restraint system. Some car seats are FAA-approved for air travel, but many are not.

"But the only way he'll sleep is in his car seat." Well then maybe flying isn't for you.

I can't watch the video with sound at work, and the auto caption isn't picking up the flight attendant. Is that they excuse they're giving in the video, or is that just something somebody made up?

e: Delta's own guidelines:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/children.html

quote:

You'll need to purchase a ticket for your child when you:
  • have a child that is age two or older.
  • have a child that turns age two during a trip — a reserved seat and ticket are required for the entire journey.
  • prefer the child to sit in a seat with an approved restraint.
  • have a second child, regardless of age, and you already have a child who will be sitting in your lap.1
  • want your child to earn miles for a SkyMiles account.
  • will be traveling between countries, regardless of whether or not the child occupies a seat.

Unless they explicitly stated in the video, I can't imagine that the seat not being approved was the reason.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Atticus_1354 posted:

So their solution was to tell him that he must hold his child? That seems like a worse idea.

https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

Seems like there was some serious miscommunication considering the lady said that a child under 2 couldn't have a seat at all and not that his car seat was not also approved for air travel.

It is a worse idea. The only reason the FAA allows infants on laps is because they did the math and realized if parents couldn't fly with kids on their laps they'd drive instead and the higher incidence of car accidents vs. airplane accidents would mean more child deaths. If a plane crashes or even experiences strong turbulence, a lap infant will die. It is not safe at all, only economically necessary because the default attitude is "maybe flying is not for you."

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The only reason the FAA allows infants on laps is because they did the math and realized if parents couldn't fly with kids on their laps they'd drive instead and the higher incidence of car accidents vs. airplane accidents would mean more child deaths.

Thank for reminding me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBaRqY_NqA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Atticus_1354 posted:

It might be a worse idea, but it is *permitted* by the FAA for children under 2. Putting children under two in a non-FAA-approved car seat to ride in an airplane is not permitted, even if you've bought a ticket for that seat.

SpacePig posted:

I can't watch the video with sound at work, and the auto caption isn't picking up the flight attendant. Is that they excuse they're giving in the video, or is that just something somebody made up?

In the video, the parent is stating that he bought that seat for his small child to ride in, in his car seat, because he won't fall asleep outside of it. But that doesn't mean that that is *allowed*. And I don't mean by the airline, I mean by the regulations the airline operates under. If that's an FAA-approved CRS, I'd agree that Delta's being fuckin' stupid here, but that's not evidenced and the dad in question is just making the assumption that car seat + ticket = good enough and it's just not.

The type of child seat was not the issue at hand when the family was booted. You don't even know their seat wasn't FAA-approved - many car-seats are.

1. How do you know this? The video starts well after they've been booted, when the cop's already on the plane.
2. Did you miss when I stated flat-out that "Some car seats are FAA-approved for air travel, but many are not."

quote:

You're just making up dumb bullshit because you're certain nobody would ever tell perfect, perfect you that "maybe flying's not for you."

Sorry if I triggered you.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:27 on May 4, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

It might be a worse idea, but it is *permitted* by the FAA for children under 2. Putting children under two in a non-FAA-approved car seat to ride in an airplane is not permitted, even if you've bought a ticket for that seat.

The type of child seat was not the issue at hand when the family was booted. You don't even know their seat wasn't FAA-approved - many car-seats are. You're just making up dumb bullshit because you're certain nobody would ever tell perfect, perfect you that "maybe flying's not for you."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Phanatic posted:

Congratulations on instantly losing your argument

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

Maybe posting's not for you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Maybe posting's not for you.

Okay, I stand corrected.

http://abc7.com/travel/socal-family-thrown-off-overbooked-delta-flight-over-childs-seating/1951238/

quote:

One airline employee tells him that under FAA regulations, 2-year-old children are not supposed to have their own seats at all and are supposed to sit in parents' laps for the duration of the flight.

"With him being two, he cannot sit in the car seat," one airline employee tells him. "He has to sit in your arms the whole time."

Which is dead wrong, and if he had an appropriate car seat and had purchased a ticket for his kid, the airline is required by regulations to allow him to use it. So gently caress Delta, too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

Okay, I stand corrected.

http://abc7.com/travel/socal-family-thrown-off-overbooked-delta-flight-over-childs-seating/1951238/

Which is dead wrong, and if he had an appropriate car seat and had purchased a ticket for his kid, the airline is required by regulations to allow him to use it. So gently caress Delta, too.

Yeah gently caress them. It's extra dumb because people purchase extra seats for any number of reasons (carrying a delicate item like a musical instrument, a pet, or just needing/wanting more space) and they don't get kicked off. We're in an era where airlines are learning that their customers feel that if they buy a seat, it's theirs, regardless of what the airline's internal policies say.

A Delta flight attendant posted:

"You have to give up the seat or you're going to jail, your wife is going to jail and they'll take your kids from you," Brian Schear recalled the airline staff telling him.

What the gently caress, Delta.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I get why airplanes overbook flights, but you'd think they would have better policies in place for dealing with the fallout.

But what are folks going to do? Not buy the cheapest tickets on Expedia?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Patrick Spens posted:

I get why airplanes overbook flights, but you'd think they would have better policies in place for dealing with the fallout.

There's no real point in not doing so, since nothing but first class gives you even a chance of avoiding this

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That was a 4-hour flight with two small children which meant neither parent could put down their kid for the entire trip. Like you can't even go to the bathroom without leaving your spouse with armfuls of children. I can see why they bought the extra seats.

I will say taking an 1 and 2 year old to Hawaii is some hosed up poo poo, though. You can't fully enjoy it and it's not like your kids care where they are.

There's no real point in not doing so, since nothing but first class gives you even a chance of avoiding this

Right after the guy got beat up on United another story came out where someone bought a full price 1st class seat and was booted to economy with no refund. So even that doesn't protect you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

You can buy tickets on an airline that doesn't overbook, like JetBlue.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Right after the guy got beat up on United another story came out where someone bought a full price 1st class seat and was booted to economy with no refund. So even that doesn't protect you.

I mean, he still was able to take his flight, so there's that small comfort, guess. But there's probably a chance that someone had to get booted from economy to make room.

Getting booted doesn't really make sense to me, especially once you're on the plane. Like, I get it if you've overbooked on purpose, and you basically make it a first-come-first-serve sort of thing, but if there's something that's giving one person some sort of special priority over another, maybe don't sell a 2nd copy of that ticket.

e: IIRC, my manager once had to pay extra for a ticket so that she could be guaranteed that she wouldn't get booted from overbooking, and it was still a bit of a fight to get on her flight properly.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

They made Cap, a character created by 2 Jewish men specifically to punch nazis, into a super-nazi. Also the writer, Nick Spencer is a huge turd who cries when real life nazis get punched.

spencer spencer spencer. where have i see that name before. oh right his brother is an irl nazi. Marvel needs to fire him but I bet he makes his deadlines.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

While Nick Spencer did in fact cry when Richard Spencer got punched in the face, they are not actually related.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

You can buy tickets on an airline that doesn't overbook, like JetBlue.

If JetBlue has flights at your local airport that go to your destination, which I've never once had work out in my entire life.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

If JetBlue has flights at your local airport that go to your destination, which I've never once had work out in my entire life.

Southwest also, now.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-southwest-airline-to-stop-overbooking-passengers-9414473

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Patrick Spens posted:

expedia isnt even cheaper then going to delta or united ( these two are always cheapest for domestic us flights ) or any rental car website (they are all partnered together) and getting your ticket. Also expedia wont let you book a ticket for someone under 18 which is how I found out that they aren't cheaper they add about 5$ to the ticket price and sell you it. The same is probably true of hotels but there isn't two big hotel chains you can call up and be like hey whats the cheapest you can rent me a room for the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fly Southwest or JetBlue if you have a chance. They're the only domestics that treat you as if you're not just balancing weight for the cargo they have underneath