Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I like my blood products so thick you can stand a spoon up in the bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Don't let people know that you can't donate if you've had any alcohol in the last 48 hours.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Red Cross must be up to some kinda spooky ritual, harvesting the blood of so many virgins like this.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You also can't donate if you're gay.

E: Never mind that got changed to be "if you've had sex with a dude in the past year" so magic players are safe.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I looked and didn't see anything, is there a thread for MTG Online? I just played my first games of magic in legitimately about 20 years. They did not go too well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I looked and didn't see anything, is there a thread for MTG Online? I just played my first games of magic in legitimately about 20 years. They did not go too well.

This is the thread for discussion of MTGO. Paper or pixels, we'll hate you and each other and the game all the same.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

https://twitter.com/drilmagic/status/858164224358526976

Fuckin' lol

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

https://clips.twitch.tv/LovelyFrailChimpanzeeRiPepperonis

Magic Online is a hell of a thing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Which card cracks the candle budget tweet? Just the Wind? Legends Greed?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Waxmane Baku

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Waxmane Baku

https://twitter.com/anildasharez0ne/status/859093784356835330

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Pontius Pilate posted:

Which card cracks the candle budget tweet? Just the Wind? Legends Greed?

Candelabra of Tawnos, obviously.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
gently caress I've made two huge mistakes.

Okay what's the owned corn polymorph card?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

just Polymorph I'd think

I sent these ones in earlier

https://twitter.com/thayelf/status/859546930635882496

https://twitter.com/thayelf/status/859544129256148992

this is my favorite new twitter account and hobby

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
lignify?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Maybe go for Magic Duels to get reacquainted

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I added 4 flings and a couple manticore flingers and 2 dispels to my pummeler deck on mtgo and did 40 dmg in a turn so that was fun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TwistedNails posted:

I added 4 flings and a couple manticore flingers and 2 dispels to my pummeler deck on mtgo and did 40 dmg in a turn so that was fun.

This is how the Pummeler deck wins now, it's delightful.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

This is how the Pummeler deck wins now, it's delightful.

I didn't want to put a lot of money into standard so I will be playing this mostly I think. It is a lot of fun when it goes off.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A guy I know built a silly pummeler deck that runs this jerk as an alternate wincon:

Along with Pia's Revolution, Ornithopters, Flings, the Manticores, it's actually really funny that they would print a bunch of artifact recursion, Ornithopters, Not-Spellbombs, an Atog, and loving Fling all in the same format.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCS6yhhFmSo

I've been obsessed with this deck. Enough that I might make it and actually drive to a store and play it with strangers.

Am I going to get my poo poo pushed in?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bigperm posted:

I've been obsessed with this deck. Enough that I might make it and actually drive to a store and play it with strangers.

Nobody will judge you, FNM is meant to be a fun and casual tournament, and anybody being a hardass about T1 in that setting is a poopieface and should probably lighten up.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

A guy I know built a silly pummeler deck that runs this jerk as an alternate wincon:

Along with Pia's Revolution, Ornithopters, Flings, the Manticores, it's actually really funny that they would print a bunch of artifact recursion, Ornithopters, Not-Spellbombs, an Atog, and loving Fling all in the same format.

That's awesome, if GR fling isn't as good as I want I may try that, or blue red pummeler with fling.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

:frogon: I've been looking into monocoloured decks to dodge the cost of buying real manabases, this might be a contender.

I mean, it sounds way more fun than my idea of a $10 monoblue Bastion Inventor deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Nobody will judge you, FNM is meant to be a fun and casual tournament, and anybody being a hardass about T1 in that setting is a poopieface and should probably lighten up.

Basically this. If your FNM is filled with Tier1 then no shame to them either. It likely won't be a whole lot of fun going 1-2 or 0-3 in that environment.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Even in the "just starting out" lobby people seem to have very well put together decks. I was getting crushed by like 20 1/1 token creatures and artifacts and clues. :psyduck: This is going to be like drinking from a firehose for a while.

I found another old deck of mine that I was going to bring to my local game store and play with but I feel like I should probably stick to MTGO for a bit until I have some idea what's happening.

E: from my small sample it seems like the game is dominated by tokens and counters now.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

bigperm posted:

play this instead

https://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-lsv-standard-mono-blue-engulf/

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Just put this together, going to run it on Saturday. I had a revelation in a recent draft that nothing is tastier than the salt produced from obnoxious control decks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How ironic is it that Standard may end up being the only format with viable control decks?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Necronomicon posted:

Just put this together, going to run it on Saturday. I had a revelation in a recent draft that nothing is tastier than the salt produced from obnoxious control decks.

CFB put up a sweet looking UW Control deck today in their daily articles.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I had this beauty in the top 8 draft of a PPTQ this past weekend and promptly lost for maximum feel bads :(

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

I had this beauty in the top 8 draft of a PPTQ this past weekend and promptly lost for maximum feel bads :(

What did you lose to, didn't you say it was one card

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

What did you lose to, didn't you say it was one card

The stupid blue god.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Well that was fun. Just won a draft on MTGO, where the first two rounds I won fairly close games, then the last round discovered my enbalmcreatures.dec was completely outclassed by the other guy's Drake Haven/Trials/Bounty of the Luxa deck that killed me in the first game with about 10 drakes and I never managed to draw my Gideon's Intervention to stabilize. Second game I thought I was doing well enough and noticed he was significantly lower on time than I was, so I figured if I could make it to game 3 he'd probably time out or have to play fast enough he'd make mistakes. However he managed to stall me out and the board stalemated, so because he had less cards than I did, I started stalling to try to deck him out.

Well, he never realized what I was doing, and continued to play slowly, and I think he finally realized what was up with only about a minute of time left. He cast something that put all graveyards back into the decks so he avoided decking out when he had about 45 seconds left...but that refilled my hand with chumpblockers and so he finally ran out of time while he was about two turns out from winning the second game. I'm sure he broke his keyboard or something because my deck was completely outclassed: he'd managed to answer both the Gideon's Intervention and the Angel of Sanctions and I was losing life fast.

Plus, drafted a buncha good cards that worked out to be more than 12 tickets worth including a foil Glorious End that I immediately sold after it was done, so all in all, quite good.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Well that was fun. Just won a draft on MTGO, where the first two rounds I won fairly close games, then the last round discovered my enbalmcreatures.dec was completely outclassed by the other guy's Drake Haven/Trials/Bounty of the Luxa deck that killed me in the first game with about 10 drakes and I never managed to draw my Gideon's Intervention to stabilize. Second game I thought I was doing well enough and noticed he was significantly lower on time than I was, so I figured if I could make it to game 3 he'd probably time out or have to play fast enough he'd make mistakes. However he managed to stall me out and the board stalemated, so because he had less cards than I did, I started stalling to try to deck him out.

Well, he never realized what I was doing, and continued to play slowly, and I think he finally realized what was up with only about a minute of time left. He cast something that put all graveyards back into the decks so he avoided decking out when he had about 45 seconds left...but that refilled my hand with chumpblockers and so he finally ran out of time while he was about two turns out from winning the second game. I'm sure he broke his keyboard or something because my deck was completely outclassed: he'd managed to answer both the Gideon's Intervention and the Angel of Sanctions and I was losing life fast.

Plus, drafted a buncha good cards that worked out to be more than 12 tickets worth including a foil Glorious End that I immediately sold after it was done, so all in all, quite good.

I've played a bunch of MTGO drafts now; and my biggest complaint is that the time allotment seems insufficient for this set. I've won several matches to time (and lost once), whereas I've never run into clock issues in other formats before.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

How ironic is it that Standard may end up being the only format with viable control decks?

Basically not ironic at all? Standard has always been the format where control decks could be more successful.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, control decks need to be able to line up their answers against opposing threats in order to do well. Standard control decks work because the format is narrow and you can tailor the available answers to match up well against the format. Legacy control decks (used to) work because you had powerful yet widely-applicable answers that worked against basically everything. Modern control decks don't work.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As long as counter effects are good relative to the other effects in the format a control deck can likely exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
MTGStory is up....and boy is it terrible