Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

Don't touch Strength at all. Level Agility and Luck as well. Healing and buff spells don't rely on your Magic stat so your Dex Flynn can still be a good support player when need be. And look forward to the almighty physical/gun skills you'll get towards the end because they own hard.

Yeah I'm doing 3 Dex/1 Ag/1 Lu each level up atm.

irlZaphod posted:

How far did you actually get before? I think I played 4 before any Persona games, or really anything SMT other than Devil Survivor.

Naraku is a bit of a tough slog just because of how long it is, you do open shortcuts along the way though if you explore well enough. Just focus on completing quests and don't be afraid to return to the Barracks to heal/save.

If you're low on health you can always try to avoid encounters. Space there can be tight though so it's not always possible. Just try not to get jumped, and attack the enemies on the field.

Negotiate as much as possible (especially at first) to get new demons and expand your options. Negotiating is a bit more haphazard I think than in P5, but more often than not if you give them a Life Stone or something, Refuse everything else then select End Conversation at the earliest opportunity, they will join you.

I think I only got up to the Minotaur boss before. I'm negotiating and fusing as much as I can, I learned that from P5 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wish fusion in DeSu Overclocked was somehow slightly less obtuse. Like I feel like I have to use a guide to fuse a demon that isn't worse than the ones I'm putting into it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 3, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
On that note, I'm playing SMTIV: Apocalypse and I'm wondering if there are diminishing returns that kick in after a while? I'm about level 70 with a little over 200 Mag, 100 Ag, 140ish Lu and I was wondering if I should just start dumping everything into Mag or start spreading out more.

The knowledge that there are stat doors in the endgame makes me sorta want to spread my points into Str/Dex just to open them :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yeah I'm doing 3 Dex/1 Ag/1 Lu each level up atm.

Yeah, you're gonna wreck poo poo by like midway through the game. Dex is a really fun and strong build and easily the strongest endgame build, too.

Sounds like you have the rest of it under control (negotiation/fusion especially) so you're probably going to have a good time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Raxivace posted:

I wish fusion in DeSu Overclocked was somehow slightly less obtuse. Like I feel like I have to use a guide to fuse a demon that isn't worse than the ones I'm putting into it.

Have you been using the option to fuse by result? I feel like that makes fusions considerably easier when you're working backwards.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

Yeah, you're gonna wreck poo poo by like midway through the game. Dex is a really fun and strong build and easily the strongest endgame build, too.

Sounds like you have the rest of it under control (negotiation/fusion especially) so you're probably going to have a good time.

Cool :) It's tough so far and I wish negotiation wasn't so RNG based, but I hear the beginning is the hardest part of the game anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Cool :) It's tough so far and I wish negotiation wasn't so RNG based, but I hear the beginning is the hardest part of the game anyway

The beginning is the hardest by far, yes. If you can get past the first couple bosses you won't really have any trouble finishing the game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Have you been using the option to fuse by result? I feel like that makes fusions considerably easier when you're working backwards.
That helped a bit, but not enough that I just don't open GameFAQs now when I'm ready to fuse once my standard loadout just isn't working well enough anymore.

Part of it is that maybe weaker demons get carried a little too much by slight grinding, which I end up doing for Skill Cracking anyways. Like its only Day 6 that I'm dropping from my lineup a Jack Frost and a Pyro Jack that I made way back in the beginning of the game.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 3, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Always cheat.

You're given one free Refuse every conversation.

End the negotiation as soon as the option pops up.

This will generally increase your odds.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

On the subject of smt4 when do I get some better dex skills? Still using needle shot. Feels like I'm still using all sorts of really weak poo poo in Ueno

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sea Sponge Run posted:

On the subject of smt4 when do I get some better dex skills? Still using needle shot. Feels like I'm still using all sorts of really weak poo poo in Ueno

I believe all physical skills run off of Dex in vanilla SMT4. Str and Dex are kinda weird in that game because all Str affects is your normal attack command while Dex governs both physical and gun skills. SMT4A rebalances it so that Str does what you'd expect and is the base for phys attacks and gun skills run off the Dex stat, I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Normal physical skills use Dex as well in SMT4 (which is why Str is so useless), so you're not just limited to gun skills like Needle Shot. (If you already knew that and I just don't remember a physical skill drought then I dunno)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh I'm big dumb fucker, thanks guys

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly you'd be forgiven for thinking physical = Strength and gun = Dex, because otherwise Strength is a totally useless stat (and it turns out it is :v:). That's exactly how it works in SMT4 Apocalypse, though, which I'd argue probably introduces its own issues (because now a Strength or Dex build only has one damage type available, compared to a Magic build potentially having six, but I guess magic stones can make up for a lot there).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, I've been telling you for a while: Gun Mage

Make it happen. :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I might do that if I don't just go pure mage in SMT4A.

The beginning is kinda putting me off, though. I did enjoy the "uh, we can't handle these requests about the end of the world, let's go help this person who can't type do fairy things" part, but I do kinda find the happy-go-lucky attitude off-putting. Like, the forces of Heaven and Hell are about to have a battle in your goddamn front yard, your buddy and mentor got brutally murdered, and the main character can't fuckin' die anymore, but it's cool, we're official hunters now and Flynn-senpai noticed us! And people just casually talking about Merkabah and Lucifer like "oh yeah, those guys, I know who those guys are" like they've been public figures for decades is just very :psyduck: to me. (I spoilered that out because I guess it vaguely spoils some things from SMT4 and someone in here is just starting that, but it's like first hour of SMT4A stuff, so I dunno.) Also the hero-worshiping of Flynn might only be bugging me because he was a player character so it almost feels like the player's being worshiped there, but I suspect something terrible is going to happen to him and that's why he's being built up so much.

I trust you all that things get much more interesting later but whew, this is a very non-SMT beginning to an SMT game. I guess it does pretty clearly show how surprisingly optimistic the Neutral route in SMT4 turns out to be.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 3, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Remember this is supposed to be the 'Oh we're all so hopeful now because hope hope hope' part of SMT4 if Nanashi hadn't made a deal with Char.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, definitely. I know it's taking place right in the middle of SMT4's Neutral ending, so I'm sure things will be more interesting and more SMT in a couple more hours. I'm gonna play some more tonight and I'll probably get there and feel dumb for complaining.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Honestly you'd be forgiven for thinking physical = Strength and gun = Dex, because otherwise Strength is a totally useless stat (and it turns out it is :v:). That's exactly how it works in SMT4 Apocalypse, though, which I'd argue probably introduces its own issues (because now a Strength or Dex build only has one damage type available, compared to a Magic build potentially having six, but I guess magic stones can make up for a lot there).

The advantage of a physical build in Apocalypse is that it consumes less skill slots, which is a big issue for most of the game. It also gives you the room to have all those useful skills that are good to have in an emergency but not able to fit into your demons due to other needs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

The advantage of a physical build in Apocalypse is that it consumes less skill slots, which is a big issue for most of the game. It also gives you the room to have all those useful skills that are good to have in an emergency but not able to fit into your demons due to other needs.

Yeah, that would be nice. Maybe I'll restart to do that since I'm only a couple hours in. I went with a magic build in SMT4 and it owned really hard, but I wouldn't mind a change with a more versatile supporter Nanashi.

How common will it be that I'll be totally walled by an enemy that resists/nulls/reflects physical? If Desperate Hit is still around I'm sure it won't be a problem in the endgame and I guess I can just chuck magic stones if I run into that.

Also, does SMT4A do a better job than SMT4 of giving you decent magical demons? I remember in SMT4, magic demons tended to have their stats spread out in a "not really good at anything" way, compared to physical demons generally being a lot stronger, so having a magic Flynn meant I had at least someone who could own poo poo with magic damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that would be nice. Maybe I'll restart to do that since I'm only a couple hours in. I went with a magic build in SMT4 and it owned really hard, but I wouldn't mind a change with a more versatile supporter Nanashi.

How common will it be that I'll be totally walled by an enemy that resists/nulls/reflects physical? If Desperate Hit is still around I'm sure it won't be a problem in the endgame and I guess I can just chuck magic stones if I run into that.

Also, does SMT4A do a better job than SMT4 of giving you decent magical demons? I remember in SMT4, magic demons tended to have their stats spread out in a "not really good at anything" way, compared to physical demons generally being a lot stronger, so having a magic Flynn meant I had at least someone who could own poo poo with magic damage.

Magic demons, in general, are stronger than physical ones in my experience in Apocalypse. It helps that almost every boss has an elemental weakness, so having magic demons lets you clown all over them with press-turn.

Also physical resistance/reflect is super common on bosses and sidequest bosses in the mid-game. There are a few fights where you're going to be limited to throwing items or entirely support if you're a physical build and you never run into that with mag.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Really? I only remember one or two bosses having Null or reflect Phs in the entire game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's for me. I'm just salty I could have saved $20 if I had waited a few days. Oh well, at least I didn't drop $60 on P5.

Although that won't help you with the game, I heard people had some luck with trying to get refunds from PSN in exactly such a situation, to counterbalance the "loss" you incurred from not buying on a sale - as with most PSN-based refunds the customer service says it's an exception, but I think it couldn't hurt to ask.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Really? I only remember one or two bosses having Null or reflect Phs in the entire game.

Yeah, but I've run into a lot that resist it or have counter of some kind. It feels a lot rougher than Magic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Yeah, but I've run into a lot that resist it or have counter of some kind. It feels a lot rougher than Magic.

It is more common enemies that are an issue then bosses.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Harrow posted:

You'd have an easier time running gun than phys, since at least you have the advantage of switching out elemental bullets for your normal shot. And a lot more demons/bosses have gun weaknesses than phys weaknesses.

Resistances don't really matter in the endgame since Nanashi gets skill that gives Pierce for everything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

P3P has been really good so far, I just did the June full moon event. The combat feels surprisingly OK since it's so fast and cool looking. And really the game is more about how you find time to fight demons when you're already busy studying, attempting to hit on girls and hanging out in clubs with depressed monks.

The main bit I don't like is the fight initiation. I can get first strike pretty much every time now but it can force you to wait around for a bit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As I recall, there's a stupid trick in P3 where you run away from the enemy until they reach the edge of their territory. Then they'll stop and turn around to head back to where they started. Then you hit them in the back.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah that's basically what I'm doing. If you wait long enough they'll turn around, and if you're absolutely 100% directly behind them they won't notice you as you approach.

The one thing I haven't been able to do is kill any rare monsters. It seems like even if I get the jump on them they still get Enemy Advantage and run away.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

As I recall, there's a stupid trick in P3 where you run away from the enemy until they reach the edge of their territory. Then they'll stop and turn around to head back to where they started. Then you hit them in the back.

If you pause and unpause enemies reset their trajectories I believe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HGH posted:

If you pause and unpause enemies reset their trajectories I believe.

That might be faster, but it just makes them turn, doesn't it? The point of moving to the edge of their territory is that they have nowhere to go but directly away from you.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The one thing I haven't been able to do is kill any rare monsters. It seems like even if I get the jump on them they still get Enemy Advantage and run away.
You're at the mercy of the RNG there, I'm afraid. Your best opportunity is probably the floors where it's only rare monsters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wow, the final stretch of the castle got pretty rough pretty fast.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah that's basically what I'm doing. If you wait long enough they'll turn around, and if you're absolutely 100% directly behind them they won't notice you as you approach.

They'll always get enemy advantage, I believe. It's not like they do anything with it though, they just run or don't. Not really up to anything you can do.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Gold Shadows are Metal Slimes, basically. If you get one, hey, bonus. If not, eh, no big deal.

At least until Elizabeth wants you to actually kill them then that poo poo becomes personal.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dragonatrix posted:

At least until Elizabeth wants you to actually kill them then that poo poo becomes personal.

There's a limit to my patience when it comes to those missions, after she starts asking for more than one it's basically "gently caress this."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I beat DeSu Overclocked, getting Yuzu's Ending. Only was able to defeat four of the Bels, was unable to fix the barrier, humanity was literally abandoned by God, and the world was overrun by demons forever. That uh was an ending alright. Apparently I could have at least fixed the barrier had I saved Gin, but oh well.

I'll replay this at some point to get a different ending, but for now I'll move on to Record Breaker. Despite some rough spots I really enjoyed this game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want Nocturne on Vita with a slighlty better UI so bad. :(

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I would take Nocturne on vita with no other changes at all, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If Nocturne ever went to a portable console, it would make my wallet rest at ease. I mean: What other RPG am I gonna play?