Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Etrips posted:

Lucky. I got a freaking Chevy Malibu that smells really weird. This thing is a freaking boat and I hate it.

I'm hoping it doesn't make my knees hurt like the Renegade I had for a couple of weeks. I told them I needed something I could get a bike in and got it at their "standard" car rate. So like $20/day cheaper than what it normally is. I'm cool with that. I don't want another loving Versa or Dart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You can use turo.com to rent manual or other interesting cars. It's sort of an airbnb for cars. Last time I traveled I rented a manual GTI instead of the typical rental car. The guy met me at the airport and gave me the car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

You can use turo.com to rent manual or other interesting cars. It's sort of an airbnb for cars. Last time I traveled I rented a manual GTI instead of the typical rental car. The guy met me at the airport and gave me the car.

Some of these prices are insane. $75 a day for a 10 year old A3? $100 for a Bro'd out Avalanche?

Edit $839 a day for a Tesla model S??

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 2, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

I'll give it a shot next time I travel. In Chicago ORD (my home airport) the cheapest manuals I can get assuming a few weeks of advance notice are...

An '05 Nissan Xterra for 28/day, a 2010 Cadillac CTS for 43/day, or a 2014 Chevy Spark for 25/day. Not bad. Probably really only works in bigger cities.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Some of these prices are insane. $75 a day for a 10 year old A3? $100 for a Bro'd out Avalanche?

Edit $839 a day for a Tesla model S??

Yeah some of the prices are stupid. I was paying $32/day for the GTI.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Monkey Fracas posted:

I keep getting Nissans as rental cars. Nissans with CVTs as far as the eye can see, all the Nissans, Nissan100years.com. Got an entry-level Buick a few months ago and was thrilled because it had an actual planetary transmission.

I've accepted it as a fact of life that I'm never gonna see a manual rental car in the US but it would be pretty cool to be able to do that... even a sucky car in manual tends to be more fun.

I had a Nissan Altima when my car was tboned. That car managed 40 mpg round trip when I drove home from Colorado to Texas and back. I was impressed. For a boring commuter, it wasn't a bad car.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uhh sorry to resurrect but the explanations made for 87 v 93 are a bit off. the components that go into making it 93 are going to be slightly less full of bonds to burn because that's a major factor that also happens to generally inversely change the knocking characteristic. the gas mileage of running 87 v 93 on a similarly tuned car is going to be extremely hard to detect tho. Switching over to ethanol at 10% by volume compared to a fuel that doesn't is only a 3% drop in gas mileage going with the 10% ethanol, and on an octane vs. volume basis that's as extreme as it gets. if you ever have the choice of non-ethanol vs. ethanol and you want to calculate the price difference just think that the increase has to be 3c/$/gal to equal out, and those fuels are almost always priced 10x that difference.

what changes this is that nicer/newer cars will detect higher octane and if you keep running it will adjust accordingly giving you more consumption for performance and that's the change you see. I thought these things (tunes) were locked for the first 10k miles or so tho?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
There's a 2014 automatic panamera for $200/day near me. Pretty steep, but I would probably pay $150 for a 2016 or newer for a day myself. Manual would be nice too.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know there's a recommendation thread in A/T, but I figured here might be a better place to ask: what's the skinny on Focuses of around 5 years of age? I've heard scuttlebutt about tranny issues, but the only things I get hits on are for the dual clutch semi-manuals being a bad thing. Is there another reason why a similiarly aged Mazda3 is the better way to go? For reference, I can't drive a manual and don't know how I'd feel about a clutchless manual.

Fake edit: Budget is under $8k, so I don't know if that would actually dip me under the concern years or not.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A five year old Mazda 3 will be the 08-13 model - should be pretty well sorted by that time with the normal road noise caveat. Maybe rust too if you're in an area afflicted with it.

A five year old Focus will be early in the present model cycle and have the dual clutch transmission. Personally I wouldn't touch one.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Anyone else get a letter about an upcoming recall on the '14 FiST? It says "localized overheating of the engine cylinder head may cause the cylinder head to crack...."

It says they are preparing parts for fall quarter 2017, but never says what those parts are, but that "Ford will make enhancements to the engine cooling system"

I'm not sure if I should take my out of warranty car in if this is major voluntary surgery.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dr.Caligari posted:

Anyone else get a letter about an upcoming recall on the '14 FiST? It says "localized overheating of the engine cylinder head may cause the cylinder head to crack...."

It says they are preparing parts for fall quarter 2017, but never says what those parts are, but that "Ford will make enhancements to the engine cooling system"

I'm not sure if I should take my out of warranty car in if this is major voluntary surgery.

If it's a recall, you don't pay a dime. TSBs are another story and you're usually on the hook for. I'd take it in for sure, regardless of the fix.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Unless something has changed since the initial reports went out, the "enhancements to the engine cooling system" are a coolant level sensor and an associated idiot light.

Basically the recall is saying if the coolant runs low the head will overheat, and if it overheats it may crack, and if it cracks oil may be sprayed on hot bits, which may result in a fire.

Check your coolant level every now and then and it's not a concern.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm still confused about that. What's causing these mystery coolant leaks? Could it be related to this car running hot as balls all the time?

Coolant leaks + no level sensor + a very lovely temp warning system on a car that people say breaks 225F in daily driving seems like a recipe for disaster.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm still confused about that. What's causing these mystery coolant leaks? Could it be related to this car running hot as balls all the time?

Coolant leaks + no level sensor + a very lovely temp warning system on a car that people say breaks 225F in daily driving seems like a recipe for disaster.

Since I haven't seen any talk of mystery coolant loss on the Fiesta ST forums, I suspect that this is more of an issue with one of the other platforms sharing the 1.6EB that are likely to be abused and ignored. The Transit Connect is of course my top suspect with that theory.

That's a total guess based on little evidence though.

Holy crap 225 in daily driving? I feel like my car runs hotter than I'd like and it's usually in the 195-200 range. I've seen as high as 228, but that was after I had just done 120 MPH for about 10 miles straight on a 105 degree day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've got the Coldest Hatch of all time: Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Duratec TI-VCT. 80 hp of fury. It sounds kind of cool since it's an NA triple but it's not exactly a NVH superstar. Good below 60km/h, terrible on the motorway.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Is that the engine that fits in a suitcase?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheWevel posted:

Is that the engine that fits in a suitcase?

Yep, I've had the Ecoboost 125hp variant before which is actually quite nice but that is more than 50% more power than the N/A version.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
On the Focus RS forums, people are speculating that part of the coolant loss is possibly due to evaporation, because the coolant Ford is using has alcohol in it. I don't know if there is any truth to this or not, as I have not yet opened my coolant reservoir to smell the coolant.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

225 F in hot climates yeah. Mine crosses 200F all the time in 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit traffic.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

Since I haven't seen any talk of mystery coolant loss on the Fiesta ST forums, I suspect that this is more of an issue with one of the other platforms sharing the 1.6EB that are likely to be abused and ignored. The Transit Connect is of course my top suspect with that theory.

Holy crap 225 in daily driving? I feel like my car runs hotter than I'd like and it's usually in the 195-200 range. I've seen as high as 228, but that was after I had just done 120 MPH for about 10 miles straight on a 105 degree day.

I keep the temp monitor up all the time now on the R and I've seen it go 220+ quite a few times. But that's only when I'm driving it like I stole it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

veedubfreak posted:

I keep the temp monitor up all the time now on the R and I've seen it go 220+ quite a few times. But that's only when I'm driving it like I stole it.

This useless poo poo is all we get from the factory on the FiST

but I have a Proclip mount for my phone on my dash and keep a temp gauge on my main display in Torque. I've only seen over 220 that one time, 205 is about as hot as it gets normally.

I'm usually on the highway and I still average 26 MPG out of a 1.6L, if that gives you an idea how I drive.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 3, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I pay more attention to the oil temp in the GTI than anything else since there isn't even a gauge for it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can put it into the sport gauges on the touchscreen if you want.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I've got one of my AP gauges assigned to coolant and oil temp. I think the root cause of some of the heat issues with this car is a large crash bar, small radiator, and water oil cooling block which I assume was tacked on when they realized the stock cooling is insufficient for the power levels that the ST drivetrain creates. Just not enough surface area and poor stock radiator performance. I don't think it's a huge problem but if you want to track or even auto cross, you should be very aware of those temps.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I run those gauges on my AP also. I love in Ohio and don't track it. If the recall is that simple , I suppose I will go have it done just because.

This letter I received made it some major and ominous

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dissss posted:

A five year old Mazda 3 will be the 08-13 model - should be pretty well sorted by that time with the normal road noise caveat. Maybe rust too if you're in an area afflicted with it.

A five year old Focus will be early in the present model cycle and have the dual clutch transmission. Personally I wouldn't touch one.

That's unfortunate. I've rented a fair bit and have liked the Focuses when I got them.

And, sheesh, the market around here shows that, I can get a five year old Focus for the price of a 10 year old Mazda3.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

The Escape shares the same recall due to also using the same engine, and this is why they were recalled for under hood fires internationally. Thread for reference: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/13161-Ford-recalls-440k-vehicles-due-to-fire-risk

My October 2013 build Fiesta has been very slowly consuming coolant, which I found perplexing due to the lack of external leakage and lack of oil in the coolant, or vice versa. This is frustrating, as I'd rather Ford replaced the cylinder head with the revised 2015+ model that doesn't have this issue. However, I can see why they'd rather take the cheapest possible path to fixing this first.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

wolrah posted:

225F isn't that big of a deal really. Some cars run better hotter too. LS motors burn cleaner at a higher temp.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

This letter I received made it some major and ominous
They will get people who are already Ford owners into the dealership and some of them will end up walking out with new cars.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So I'm considering replacing my 300zx.

Does anyone have much experience with the 2015 Civic Type-R GT? Would you guys recommend it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I test-drove a Golf R today, and apart from the short clutch travel resulting in some rather un-smooth starts (which I would learn to deal with in short order), I was super loving impressed with the car. I think I'm going to buy one eventually.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
I test drove the GTI yesterday and a Focus ST today. I like the GTI more, but god drat Ford must be aching to move some cars. With manufacturer incentives they quoted me an ST at $18,544 before tax/fees ($21,067 out-the-door in MD).

I like the GTI more, but do I like it $6,000 more?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Tryke posted:

I test drove the GTI yesterday and a Focus ST today. I like the GTI more, but god drat Ford must be aching to move some cars. With manufacturer incentives they quoted me an ST at $18,544 before tax/fees ($21,067 out-the-door in MD).

You're in MD? Then the ST comes with a car club that meets for ice cream or Mexican once a week. Join usss

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You'll appreciate the extra torque the st has if you start eating like that...

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

Night Danger Moose posted:

You're in MD? Then the ST comes with a car club that meets for ice cream or Mexican once a week. Join usss

Is this a pro or a con?? I'm watching my :btroll: figure but I do enjoy some good Mexican...

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Tryke posted:

Is this a pro or a con?? I'm watching my :btroll: figure but I do enjoy some good Mexican...

The R&R Taqueria in White Marsh/Perry Hall is amazing and very well worth it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Tryke posted:

I went through the same poo poo and ended up with a Fiesta because the Ford incentives are so good. The GTI is a lovely car but 1500 miles later I have no regrets and the extra money in my pocket certainly helps.

I asked the thread earlier and a lot of people wished they had gone the GTI in the end as it's certainly a nicer place to be every day and the resale isn't as poo poo, but this was a long term fun car/daily driver purchase for me so that wasn't a huge concern.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Cobb just put out some major updates to their base maps and AP firmware for the Fords which enables a lot of real-time configurability on the AP itself as well as a bunch of new things that can be fiddled with in Accesstuner.

Community: The Fiesta ST is really reliable and almost none have blown up...
Dead Hook Motorsports: Hold my beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHtfAyl5_8

One of the things that's now unlocked is the rev limiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Night Danger Moose posted:

The R&R Taqueria in White Marsh/Perry Hall is amazing and very well worth it.

There's a second one now? I used to go to the one inside a Shell station on 1 when I lived in Laurel, best gas station food I've ever had hands down. Good mole and the tacos are good too.