Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Race for the Galaxy app releases today around 1 EST. Beta reports are all positive. Expansions added as IAP with first update, which has already been submitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

mightygerm posted:

Help me, I can't stop playing Gloomhaven.

:same: This is me since late February.

I almost feel bad for all the other games going unplayed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ojetor posted:

I almost feel bad for all the other games going unplayed.

I impulse backed the second printing based on pretty much scarcity alone. Its the board game version of the NES classic. I wanted it just cause I couldnt have it.

So comments like this make me feel good about my choice. Thanks buddy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I backed it too. Also because i think my group might like it, as they have loved Pandemic Legacy, and they love coop games, and they love stabbing poo poo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I considered paying a ridiculous price for an existing version but I didn't.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pandemic legacy was a huge hit in my group, and we're all pnp/d&d players, so...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

The Race for the Galaxy app releases today around 1 EST. Beta reports are all positive. Expansions added as IAP with first update, which has already been submitted.

You can also play on PC with all expansions for free:
http://keldon.net/rftg/

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I've got a good rhythm going. I've got Wednesday group for GH and Sunday group for any other games. Between losses, and occasionally doing 2 scenarios in an evening we average just more than one a week. We'll be busy for a while :p

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Ojetor posted:

I suggested we play something else, after ~30 missions of Gloomhaven. I got some angry glares. Our biggest problem overall is that we only have one set; I'd like to play it with my kids, other people want to play with friends, and everyone wants to do their solo missions, but we always have our current campaign mission set up.

A couple bits of advice for people just getting going (though I guess that might not be many people, given availability):

1. The auto-balancing isn't perfect, so bump the difficulty up so the game remains hard. We've had huge variety in our party's effectiveness based on character strength, character synergy, appropriate item availability, and itemization levels (sometimes a new character will pop in just as you get a big-gold mission, and end up very strong very early). A few of the "guest designed" missions are just randomly too easy (often they will have an easy to identify/exploit strategy), but overall you should be able to make every mission a satisfying (and usually varied as well) challenge. But that all breaks down if you're going too easy - on "too easy" you can just treat all the missions the same and smash through.
2. When you take your first personal goal, look at 2 and take 1 (as per rules) - but you probably want to confirm with the other players that 2 of you aren't taking quests that will unlock the same thing. Unlocking characters is great, and most of the time you'll want to play the character that you worked towards. If you don't have unusual attachment to a particular character symbol you see, I recommend the personal quests that result in "unlock mission" (some characters can either be unlocked directly or through a mission). Getting a new character is always fun, but it is <--super-flavor-explosion--> when you unlock your new character through a quest, so I strongly suggest prioritizing those. As you retire more characters, consider either using more personal goals to pick from or, alternatively, just remove personal quests that lead to already unlocked stuff from the pool. Again, it would suck if some of your players keep getting new characters, but one person keeps getting "dupes". If you need to break some game rules so that someone doesn't have to "repeat" a character, absolutely do it. Sometimes you'll be on a character for a lot of missions, so play one you like.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rutibex posted:

You can also play on PC with all expansions for free:
http://keldon.net/rftg/

Good thing we all carry a pc in our pockets

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

jmzero posted:

I suggested we play something else, after ~30 missions of Gloomhaven. I got some angry glares. Our biggest problem overall is that we only have one set; I'd like to play it with my kids, other people want to play with friends, and everyone wants to do their solo missions, but we always have our current campaign mission set up.

A couple bits of advice for people just getting going (though I guess that might not be many people, given availability):

1. The auto-balancing isn't perfect, so bump the difficulty up so the game remains hard. We've had huge variety in our party's effectiveness based on character strength, character synergy, appropriate item availability, and itemization levels (sometimes a new character will pop in just as you get a big-gold mission, and end up very strong very early). A few of the "guest designed" missions are just randomly too easy (often they will have an easy to identify/exploit strategy), but overall you should be able to make every mission a satisfying (and usually varied as well) challenge. But that all breaks down if you're going too easy - on "too easy" you can just treat all the missions the same and smash through.
2. When you take your first personal goal, look at 2 and take 1 (as per rules) - but you probably want to confirm with the other players that 2 of you aren't taking quests that will unlock the same thing. Unlocking characters is great, and most of the time you'll want to play the character that you worked towards. If you don't have unusual attachment to a particular character symbol you see, I recommend the personal quests that result in "unlock mission" (some characters can either be unlocked directly or through a mission). Getting a new character is always fun, but it is <--super-flavor-explosion--> when you unlock your new character through a quest, so I strongly suggest prioritizing those. As you retire more characters, consider either using more personal goals to pick from or, alternatively, just remove personal quests that lead to already unlocked stuff from the pool. Again, it would suck if some of your players keep getting new characters, but one person keeps getting "dupes". If you need to break some game rules so that someone doesn't have to "repeat" a character, absolutely do it. Sometimes you'll be on a character for a lot of missions, so play one you like.

Good advice. We currently play with a rotating group of 8 people, and theres a lot of duplication of personal quest unlocks. I also find that the personal quests can vary wildly , some we could complete in a weekend and others took 20+ scenarios to do. I think some of the 2nd ed changes fixes several of these.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Thread for High Treason is up

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RftG app is out and also of note it includes the Keldon AI. Pretty good so far.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I beta tested it, would recommend.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.templegatesgames.RaceAndroid
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/race-for-the-galaxy/id1190675052?ls=1&mt=8

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So I'm taking myself into board games since myself and my gf are bored of monopoly, Uno etc.

Planning to spend a few hundred $$ for some games and currently going for the following.

Lords of Waterdeep plus expansion (I like the gently caress you and corruption element it adds)
Pandemic Legacy for some coop fun
Settlers of Catan (she likes the look of it, not 100% sold myself)
Dead of Winter (bit worried we'll miss out on some fun like the betrayer person since playing its only two of us)
War of the Ring (bit heavy for her to begin with so probably sit at the bottom of the pile)

We both really like the screwing with other factor via cards that war of the ring and waterdeep expansion offers but anything else worth adding to the Amazon order? I'll prob add another 2-3 games if they sound appealing to both of us.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DoW is really bad, don't get it. I personally think LoW isn't very good, but it's a passable worker placement.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tai posted:

So I'm taking myself into board games since myself and my gf are bored of monopoly, Uno etc.

Planning to spend a few hundred $$ for some games and currently going for the following.

Lords of Waterdeep plus expansion (I like the gently caress you and corruption element it adds)
Dead of Winter (bit worried we'll miss out on some fun like the betrayer person since playing its only two of us)
War of the Ring (bit heavy for her to begin with so probably sit at the bottom of the pile)

We both really like the screwing with other factor via cards that war of the ring and waterdeep expansion offers but anything else worth adding to the Amazon order? I'll prob add another 2-3 games if they sound appealing to both of us.

Maybe ease into it instead of blowing a few hundred up front for several mediocre games that you'll eventually want to replace with better options? I mean, LoW and Catan are better than Monopoly and Uno, but this thread can offer many alternatives you'll probably enjoy more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also, Settlers of Catan isn't even a 2 player game. 3+. Honestly if you're looking for mainly 2 player games there are a lot of better choices that you can go with across the spectrum (other than Pandemic Legacy, that's a great one). With your budget, you can build a great collection. I'd post the recommended 2 player game list but people whine about it so just look at my post history in this thread.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

You are going to regret this decision.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tai posted:

Waterdeep is the definition of mediocre. I imagine you will get a sensation of wanting more very quickly after playing it. If you like gently caress You, look at Caylus, which is basically the ur-classic worker placement with a dash of gently caress you. It owns.

Settlers is a classic, but has been surpassed in terms of mechanics nowadays (for example, people really dislike the dice screw potential). I'm not sure what the best analog is. I'd say Archipelago, but that plays up the negotiation elements and is heavier. I also have no idea if it works 2p. Maybe Castles of Burgundy, but I haven't played it 2p. Settlers definitely doesn't work 2p.

Dead of Winter is garbage. BSG is a better, but it doesn't work at 2p. You're pretty much assed out of social deduction games with only two players, but you may want to check out Tragedy Looper (warning: anime). It's not a social deduction per se, since you and the other player are antagonists, but there is Stuff to figure out. If you want something more narrative focused, maybe Eldritch Horror would be a good suggestion. It's not the most mechanically rigorous (resolution through dice rolls, fiddliness, etc), but I've had a lot of fun with it.

For 2p, you might want to consider some abstracts. Santorini is a recent good one, although it may be between print runs right now. The FFG LCGs are also good, and LOTR and Arkham Horror are both co-ops. Obviously it's a bit more of a financial sink, but it's an option.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

Castles of Burgundy, but I haven't played it 2p

A lot of people love it for 2p, so I'd echo this recommendation for a euro.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, Settlers of Catan isn't even a 2 player game. 3+. Honestly if you're looking for mainly 2 player games there are a lot of better choices that you can go with across the spectrum (other than Pandemic Legacy, that's a great one). With your budget, you can build a great collection. I'd post the recommended 2 player game list but people whine about it so just look at my post history in this thread.

Who dares bitch about the much celebrated Bottom Liner 2p game list re-post?

Speaking of Catan, what game do most people usually bounce to when a gaming neophyte says it's their FAVOURITE BOARD GAME OF ALL TIME? I was trying to wrap my head around what appeals about it to people but I guess you just have to base it on which aspect they love. Is it the resource gathering via dice? Is is the trading? Is it the building and road construction?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
People love Catan because it was a rare non terrible board game in the 90s and for many people it's the only modern game they've ever played.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Tai posted:

I would personally shy away from Catan if at all possible. It's easy to lock someone out of the game in a way that doesn't feel great due to dice.
Public opinion also isn't high on Dead of Winter, but I haven't played or even watched it played, so I can't offer a suggestion
Lords of Waterdeep will get some flak, but I think it's fine, if flawed. Especially for what you want.

I haven't played it so double check me, but it sounds like Imhotep was made for you.
If you plan on playing with more than 2 people ever, I think Colt Express and Libertalia would be good for you in the player interaction front, especially the former.
Also following the 3 players or more thought, I would be willing to bet you would get a lot out of Coup.

For just you and your wife, there are some interactive 2P games out there! 7 Wonders Duel, Targi, and Baseball Highlights 2045 are all great games.

I'm at work with some stuff to do, so I can't expound a whole lot right this second, but I can if any of that sounds interesting.

ALSO: I would try to just buy like 2 big games and one small game justto make sure that you both like the hobby. I would hate for you to blow several hundred and one or both of you hate it.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 3, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Papes posted:

People love Catan because it was a rare non terrible board game in the 90s and for many people it's the only modern game they've ever played.

It has the advantage of being a pretty nice object too - nice wooden pieces, bright colors, thick cardboard hexes. Sure there are games with even BETTER components (Caverna's little wooden dogs...) but most of them didn't exist when people first played Catan or aren't available on Target shelves.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FulsomFrank posted:

Speaking of Catan, what game do most people usually bounce to when a gaming neophyte says it's their FAVOURITE BOARD GAME OF ALL TIME? I was trying to wrap my head around what appeals about it to people but I guess you just have to base it on which aspect they love. Is it the resource gathering via dice? Is is the trading? Is it the building and road construction?

I can't speak for everyone, but I remember liking Catan because you progressed and got better at doing things (i.e., gathering resources) as the game progressed. It really made you feel like you were developing and getting more "powerful," which appealed to me in a way that getting properties in Monopoly never really did. The social aspect of negotiating was also a factor, as was the social factor of asking who had wheat and then using the Monopoly card to be a dick.

I can also see dice as being a skill equalizer that appeals to newbies, up until they get a godly spot that was like 5 6 8 and people keep rolling 4s and 9s all loving game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Replace Lords of Waterdeep with Manhattan Project Energy Empire. Same level, much less annoyance.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Waterdeep sucks butt. Go full on worker placement and get A Feast For Odin :black101:

Also I find Catan fun, but only if you really know the group you're playing with well. I've had a steady Catan group for a couple years, and we play probably 3-4 games every so many months.

We had a guest with us one session and I made him ragequit cause I was talking so much poo poo... :allears:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The greatest trick Catan ever pulled was making people think it was a game about trading, instead of actually being a game about doing everything BUT trading, and indeed trading was the one thing you absolutely shouldn't do a lot of the time.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Archipelago is not a gateway game. It's great, but the rules are finicky and you'll lose people who are not used to modern games.

Perhaps Carcassonne?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Imhotep is probably the best modern intro game I can think of. It's cheap-ish, gorgeous, big components, super easy to learn, and super mean. I think Quinns is right that intro/family games actually need to be the leanest, meanest games available because you're going to be playing them with people who need to be hooked immediately. Two turns into Imhotep and you "get it".

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Who dares bitch about the much celebrated Bottom Liner 2p game list re-post?

Chinatown if they like Catan because of the negotiation aspect

Otherwise, Concordia

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dude is coming from monopoly. What are some good must haves from across the spectrum for him?

Pandemic is good. Legacy or normal. For coop
Dominion for deckbuilding
7 wonders for drafting.
Battlestar for hidden traitor.
Someone more versed suggest some euros

See what you like and then look at more in the style. Or across styles. Youtube has good setup and rules tutorials sometimes by the companies themselves.

I recommend NOT blowing you money wad on a big order. Get some 'classic' genre posterboys. And learn what you like. Or better search a local game group who would love to have you and make them show you stuff.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Don't get BSG. You'll never play it because it only works with EXACTLY five. Avalon does more in less time and with more flexibility.

E: while I'm at it, I'd give this person a strong rec for Castles of Burgundy. It's really simple for non gamers to jump into, scales pretty smoothly from 2-4 (excellent 2p game) and is cheap to boot. Very light on the euro side, but a great option for first euro.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 3, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Go to a board game cafe and try things posted in the thread and/or things in the top 50 on BGG. The $20 or $30 you spend on table fees over a couple visits is cheaper than some bullshit game that ends up in your garbage.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Please do not recommend the guy who wants player interaction in his games Castles of Burgundy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Dude is coming from monopoly. What are some good must haves from across the spectrum for him?

7 Wonders Duel
Patchwork
Dominion
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Pandemic/Legacy

Plenty of 2 player centric gaming to cover most bases and expand from there.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

And since both have been mentioned, for 2 players you want 7 Wonders Duel not 7 Wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tai posted:

As others have said, you can definitely do better.

Here are my suggestions:

Lords of Waterdeep - Pretty mediocre game. Worker placement with a "screw you" factor can be tough. Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is designed for two players, and while there's no direct conflict, you can definitely lock your opponent out of actions they want/need.

Pandemic Legacy - Great game. In my opinion it's more fun with more players, but works perfectly well with two.

Settlers of Catan - It's okay, but lousy with two players. Definitely echoing Castles of Burgundy here. It's fantastic with two players and scales up well to three or four. You get more interesting decisions and less randomness than Catan offers.

Dead of Winter - Opinions vary, but I feel there are much better co-ops (since you wouldn't be able to use the traitor mechanic anyway with two). Want a fun, strongly-themed co-op? My group's current favorite is The Big Book of Madness.

War of the Ring - It's well-regarded, and fine if you don't mind your wargame a bit dice-y.

A couple of other games that work well for two players are Jaipur (hand management / set collection) and Tash Kalar (abstract strategy with some great "screw your opponent's plans" opportunities).

Whatever you end up with, welcome to our nerdy family!