Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

jadebullet posted:

Ork players already do this so of course they would take away an Ork special ability and give it to the Marines... again.

Yeah but on the plus side, Marines and everyone else are getting Mob Rule, so they get to experience the zany Ork antics of losing models because you lost too many models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

The starter box is using MSU so I doubt it

If Bigmarines are 2w then something tells me they aren't going to be squads of 10.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Units in AoS get bonuses for not running MSU so actually a larger blob of Orks may gain say, an additional attack per model if there are 20 models in the unit, making running larger units actually quite effective.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Fuegan posted:

Units in AoS get bonuses for not running MSU so actually a larger blob of Orks may gain say, an additional attack per model if there are 20 models in the unit, making running larger units actually quite effective.

If they balance out the disadvantages of taking full units with something like that, that'd be really nice.

Artum posted:

If Bigmarines are 2w then something tells me they aren't going to be squads of 10.

Terminators are 2w and I doubt they'll take away their ability to go in squads of 10.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Fuegan posted:

Horde units are also very good for countering mortal wounds since doing 6 MW to a squad of 40 boyz isn't as useful as doing 6 MW to a character with 6 wounds.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pawl posted:

Horde units are also very good for countering mortal wounds since doing 6 MW to a squad of 40 boyz isn't as useful as doing 6 MW to a character with 6 wounds.

That's not really "countering" unless you're forced to shoot at the nearest target. Sure, don't put mortal wounds melee attacks into a horde if you can help it, but a lot of D-weapon shooting have big fuckoff table-length ranges anyway. That shadowsword or whatever doesn't have to shoot at that one boy up front, it'll be seeing over your boys to bigger targets behind and gently caress those up.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Shadow War Supplements are getting pretty cool

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/03/shadow-war-armageddon-one-man-armies/

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pawl posted:

Especially since horde-style units tend to have poo poo saves anyway. For them, Mortal Wounds are wounds you would probably take anyway vs an elite unit with five models and good saves being forced to take them.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Kind of funny that everyone essentially suffers from mob rule now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

That's not really "countering" unless you're forced to shoot at the nearest target. Sure, don't put mortal wounds melee attacks into a horde if you can help it, but a lot of D-weapon shooting have big fuckoff table-length ranges anyway. That shadowsword or whatever doesn't have to shoot at that one boy up front, it'll be seeing over your boys to bigger targets behind and gently caress those up.

The one Mortal Wound we've seen so far targeted nearest unit, but that's due to being a psyker power and not a weapon. I really hope mortal wounds aren't too common, and if they are that they don't all autohit like AoS ones do.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hell yeah, Marbo's back :getin:

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

chutche2 posted:

You need to find ways to make your enemy put their limited supply of mortal wounds into the right targets. Forcing enemies to Fall Back is a good way to mitigate damage output from high damage targets. Leaving "bait' units in line of sight while hiding key units until the right moment.

If you bring an army full of MSU and characters then you'll be extremely vulnerable to mortal wounds. AOS tries to hit a nice balance of "mortal wounds beat MSU, MSU beats hordes, hordes beat MSU" but falls slightly short because the written rules for LOS are lame. If you houserule Warmachine style LOS into AOS it turns into a much more enjoyable competitive game.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
the hell is MSU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SLY MARBO

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Geoff Zahn posted:

the hell is MSU

Multiple Small Units

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Geoff Zahn posted:

the hell is MSU

Multiple Small Unit

It means taking lots of small units rather than fewer large units. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

MSU gives you more tactical flexibility and buff stacking potential but mortal wounds shut it down hard

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

SLY MARBO

Sly goddamn Marbo

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Ah, gotcha thanks. It's been awhile since I've played so I forgot all the lingo

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pawl posted:

You need to find ways to make your enemy put their limited supply of mortal wounds into the right targets. Forcing enemies to Fall Back is a good way to mitigate damage output from high damage targets. Leaving "bait' units in line of sight while hiding key units until the right moment.

If you bring an army full of MSU and characters then you'll be extremely vulnerable to mortal wounds. AOS tries to hit a nice balance of "mortal wounds beat MSU, MSU beats hordes, hordes beat MSU" but falls slightly short because the written rules for LOS are lame. If you houserule Warmachine style LOS into AOS it turns into a much more enjoyable competitive game.

I agree, warmachine LOS is way better, but we've got to work with what we have.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SLY MOTHERFUCKING MARBO, I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Huh, they put out the article on how cover's gonna work a little early.

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/05/03/a-good-guardsman-should-be-unseen-and-not-heard/

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

If they balance out the disadvantages of taking full units with something like that, that'd be really nice.

Terminators are 2w and I doubt they'll take away their ability to go in squads of 10.

Nobodies ever really been in danger of being drowned by many small terminator squads with the cost though have they.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Sooo at the rate they are teasing the rules, what are the chances that they actually drop this thing this weekend?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Arven posted:

Sooo at the rate they are teasing the rules, what are the chances that they actually drop this thing this weekend?

Unlikely. This weekend is the last of the Sector Mechanicum terrain and the 40 years of White Dwarf anniversary.

We're probably looking at a late May/early June release.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They fixed up some wording on the morale page.

Adding stuff like "the difference in additional models are lost".

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 3, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is that a new Sly Marbo?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Nobodies ever really been in danger of being drowned by many small terminator squads with the cost though have they.

Your point being?

You said bigmarines won't have 10 man squads because they're 2W. There are other models in the game that come in 10 man squads despite being 2W. New terminators are one example, but don't nobz also come in full squads and have 2 wounds? I don't see how what you said has any bearing on this.

Artum posted:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

Is that a new Sly Marbo?

Kitbash from the Catachan/Cadian command teams.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

Kitbash from the Catachan/Cadian command teams.

He's got such a cute little kerchief :3:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SRM posted:

He's got such a cute little kerchief :3:

Oh man, he does. That's great.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

chutche2 posted:

I agree, warmachine LOS is way better, but we've got to work with what we have.

We house rule Warmachine LOS into our AoS games. I hate true LOS. Works great

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
How do the two LOS systems differ, if I can ask?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Your point being?

You said bigmarines won't have 10 man squads because they're 2W. There are other models in the game that come in 10 man squads despite being 2W. New terminators are one example, but don't nobz also come in full squads and have 2 wounds? I don't see how what you said has any bearing on this.

My point being MSU with expensive units has never been an issue its always been cheap minimum size squads toting special weapons.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The Bee posted:

Can't see through area terrain like woods is the main one we play, but also larger bases block LOS to smaller bases

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

Warmachine is 2D LOS.

Models come in 4 kinds of base sizes. 30, 40, 50, and 120mm.

When drawing LOS to a model, if their base is completely obstructed by the base of models of equal or greater base size, LOS is blocked. If obstructed by models of lesser base size, LOS is not blocked.

40k uses true LOS, LOS drawn using the models and their actual sizes and largely ignoring bases. It means that it's harder to actually block LOS to stuff using models, while in warmachine a line of models base to base will block LOS to stuff behind them unless the stuff behind is on a bigger base.

There are ways around it as well. Arcing fire weapons like mortars can ignore intervening models for LOS unless the intervening model is within 1 inch of the target. Models that are stealthed, incorporeal, or dug in also don't block LOS.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 3, 2017

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

True LOS is some dumb poo poo

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Someone mentioned that AoS has a lot of multi wound monstrous infantry that people use to avoid taking battle shocker test - if you don't lose a model, you don't have to take the test. Could see it happening especially with Tyranids.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

The Bee posted:

The short version is that in 40k "true line of sight" systems is based on whether you can actually see part of the target's physical model from where the firing model is, and the WarmaHordes version treats the hitbox as being a cylinder the same size of the base (height based on the width of the base).

So like, if you modeled everyone as standing way to one side of the base, and then put them behind cover with just the empty side of it poking out, in 40k they aren't considered in line of sight, but in Warmachine they would be.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ANAmal.net posted:

The short version is that in 40k "true line of sight" systems is based on whether you can actually see part of the target's physical model from where the firing model is, and the WarmaHordes version treats the hitbox as being a cylinder the same size of the base (height based on the width of the base).

So like, if you modeled everyone as standing way to one side of the base, and then put them behind cover with just the empty side of it poking out, in 40k they aren't considered in line of sight, but in Warmachine they would be.

Yeah, that bugs me. I mean, it makes my bosspoles a liability, and makes me feel like a dirty cheater if I want to model my spanner boys taking a knee to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah warmachine is *technically* a cylindrical LOS, but that only comes up in the case of "can this model be seen over this building" or whatever and 99% of the time people ignore that kind of thing and treat it as a purely 2D LOS system.

Walls for example don't have an actual height and can be represented just fine as flat acrylic wall sections, because it's purely "does line of sight between these two models pass over this wall, and is the target within 1 inch of the wall".

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 3, 2017

• Locked thread