Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
No, it's a special round, yellow cuepoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wayfinder posted:

No, it's a special round, yellow cuepoint.

Have to look that up, never heard if it.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

You just choose "Load" from the hotcue type dropdown. When you load that track into a deck, it will move the needle to the load point, which just happens to be on the same spot as the beatmarker in this example (but it doesn't have to be).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Awesome, thanks

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Well tonight was a poo poo show. Last time I played on nexus2's it was fine, this time every God drat song I would hit play on the incoming track would play like a half beat to a beat too fast/ahead and the platters barely fixed it but not before sounding like poo poo or mixing in too late, I have no idea what the hell was going on.

Edit: Some people are telling me master tempo on the nexus2's causes this, I'll try it next week without and see if there's a difference.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 6, 2017

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
edit: this post was original a bunch of words that wasn't really helpful or interesting. :)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 8, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Can someone please explain to me the difference between serato scratch live (which I love and have been using for 10 years) and serato DJ intro and serato DJ (full version)?

Also if I just do 2-channel djing and graduating from vinyl controllers, will DDJ-SR suit my needs?

edit: I found an 8 minute video that may explain it to me but 8 minutes... jeez

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK! I went to stupid guitar center and tested the stupid things and I decided that serato dj intro would suit my needs AS LONG AS I can have it coexist on my laptop with serato scratch live (which I would still use for vinyl controller). Does anyone know if serato dj intro and ssl can coexist?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
They're separate apps so yeah. I have both SSL and Serato DJ on my laptop right now.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

keevo posted:

They're separate apps so yeah. I have both SSL and Serato DJ on my laptop right now.

Awesome. I know they are separate apps but I also understand they use the same database, so I wasn't sure if Serato DJ does something like "upgrade" the database making it unusable on SSL.

Thank you for the info!!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Nah the database info stays the same. Your song tags and loops will be read the same. Only difference is if you have cues 6-8 on a song, SSL won't read it (because they don't support that many cues).

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey guys. My birthday was last weekend and after going out to dinner and drinks with friends, I had people back to my place where I proceeded to DJ for a couple hours. It was a really small group, probably 20 people, but I had a loving blast. I played most of the set that I had been working on for the last couple weeks and mixed in some new stuff as well. No one was paying attention to me loving up but I didn't have any real major ones.

A few days later, my friend who was at the party messaged me and asked if I wanted to help him DJ his parents 50th birthday. Of course I said yes, but I am wondering if any folks here have some advice for DJing to an older crowd. His parents are definitely on the "cooler" side and like to party and celebrate so it should be really fun and I really want to make sure they have a good time. Obviously song selection is going to be important and I think the toughest obstacle I face right now is just collecting all of the music I need but would appreciate any tips or suggestions since this is really my first "gig". I feel dumb calling it that.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

All you really need are today's top 40 hits and a deep collection of older music. Sign up with a record pool that has that. Clubkillers has basically all of the current hits and a pretty deep collection of older hits. It's kind of expensive though. BPM supreme is slightly cheaper but I can't remember how good their collection of older songs is.

On an unrelated note, does anyone here use Serato? I remember when you're browsing through the library you can jump to a BPM really quickly by typing that number out. I somehow turned that off and don't know how to turn it back on.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

If I'm remembering right there's a right click menu where you select the columns that Serato will look for your search in.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Hey guys. My birthday was last weekend and after going out to dinner and drinks with friends, I had people back to my place where I proceeded to DJ for a couple hours. It was a really small group, probably 20 people, but I had a loving blast. I played most of the set that I had been working on for the last couple weeks and mixed in some new stuff as well. No one was paying attention to me loving up but I didn't have any real major ones.

A few days later, my friend who was at the party messaged me and asked if I wanted to help him DJ his parents 50th birthday. Of course I said yes, but I am wondering if any folks here have some advice for DJing to an older crowd. His parents are definitely on the "cooler" side and like to party and celebrate so it should be really fun and I really want to make sure they have a good time. Obviously song selection is going to be important and I think the toughest obstacle I face right now is just collecting all of the music I need but would appreciate any tips or suggestions since this is really my first "gig". I feel dumb calling it that.

How to be safe in a top 40 gig when you don't usually play top 40:

- buy all the "now that's what I call music" tracks for the past 12 months before your gig
- keep the following comps on your emergency gig external hard drive:

1. https://www.discogs.com/label/776765-Soul-Hits-Of-The-70s-Didnt-It-Blow-Your-Mind!
2. https://www.discogs.com/label/504608-Greatest-Hits-Of-The-Millennium
3. all these songs http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/7693-the-top-500-tracks-of-the-2000s-20-1/
4. one bucket for urine, one for feces, and one for vomitus

But seriously I love "normal people" djing, it is so much fun and you get paid so much more money.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

keevo posted:

All you really need are today's top 40 hits and a deep collection of older music. Sign up with a record pool that has that. Clubkillers has basically all of the current hits and a pretty deep collection of older hits. It's kind of expensive though. BPM supreme is slightly cheaper but I can't remember how good their collection of older songs is.

On an unrelated note, does anyone here use Serato? I remember when you're browsing through the library you can jump to a BPM really quickly by typing that number out. I somehow turned that off and don't know how to turn it back on.

Thanks for the tip on record pools. I looked into Club Killers and they have a pretty impressive library of stuff so I am probably going to sign up with them and go to town on building out my library.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

This may be a dumb question but since I started teaching myself DJing, I have mostly focused on House Music / EDM and that lends itself to certain types of mixing (at least for me). These tracks tend to have intros/outros/buildups/breakdowns that make it easy to find good places to start mixing in another track. As I practice for this 50th bday party that is coming up, I am finding the mixing to be less intuitive with Top40 stuff and random 80s/90s hits. Now part of this can probably be explained by me being more familiar with house music than Top40 stuff but I was wondering if there were any good tips or tutorials I should look into. I am still really new so I don't know what I don't know at this point and would definitely appreciate a push in the right direction so I don't gently caress this up.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Cutting is not uncommon, don't be afraid of it, but do practice it so you can get the hang of it. I don't mix top40, but have mixed genres where cutting is required.

Sometimes shorter mixes (4 bars, 8 bars, maybe 16 bars) work with the music, sometimes they won't. Your ability to do this will be limited by your understanding of the music and practice with them.

Important to note that a top40 crowd is not going to give a single poo poo about your mixing ability as you probably think about it from a house/techno POV. The priority for them is almost certainly 1) what tracks you play, and (to a much lesser extent) 2) the flow of the tracks. So having songs on hand that the group will like and reading the crowd will be important.

edit: some minor clarification

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 2, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Filtering tracks in-and-out quickly will be your friend as well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, this gives me some things to try and practice tonight. I especially like the suggestion that the flow of the tracks and what tracks I play matters way more than the mixing aspect so I will try to focus more on that.

For the filtering tracks in/out quickly, I do this sometimes but was wondering if there is a "standard" for the Filter Settings. I feel like on my S2, unless I crank the Wet value to near 100%, the filter doesn't sound pronounced enough. The downside to having it cranked this far is that it makes the actual filter nob super sensitive to very slight movements. This is probably just something I need to get more comfortable with, but was wondering if anyone else ran into this issue.

Lastly, I have only done some really basic experimenting with the FX on the S2, and was wondering what a DJ would typically have set up for the 3 FX on each side of the S2 (or whatever controller). Right now I have a Filter (clockwise = HP, counter = LP), LFO, and Reverb since those seemed pretty standard. Anything else I should consider for my normal setup? I don't tend to use the FX that much so it's not a huge concern but would be cool to use more often/appropriately.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I usually go for gater, hi/low pass, and pitch shift but it varies depending on the mood. Gater is the only one I always have preset, and I have hi/low pass on my mixer so I usually just rotate around whatever I feel like.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Use a half beat, echo out on the beat. If it's good enough for literally every live mix radio dj, it's good enough for your 50 year old party. Don't get too fancy with effects...you'll get complaints.

edit: and don't speed mix through like 100 songs in 30 minutes. there's a time and place for everything and that party is not it

edit 2: change your filter settings to djm in traktor. i think it's under setup-->mixer? i am not a traktor guy (serato 4 lyfe) but i seem to remember the default is like allen and heath or something.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 2, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Appreciate all of the advice, tonight's sesh is going well I think!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Another question. I have some points I need to spend and I would like to get some decent headphones for DJing. There are a few options available on the site that I thought I would share to get opinions on. If there is a standard that isn't insanely expensive, I am open to suggestions. The ones available include:

Sennheiser HD650
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H8
Bowers & Wilkins P7
Denon Music Maniac

The only one I have heard of before are the Sennheiser and I have heard they are great but don't have the movable cups. Not sure how big of a deal that is. I have also seen people use Beats but from lurking this thread, everyone says don't get Beats.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Save your money and get these - https://en-us.sennheiser.com/on-ear-dj-headphone-hd25

They'll last you for a long time as long as you don't treat your headphones like complete poo poo.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

MrSargent posted:

Another question. I have some points I need to spend and I would like to get some decent headphones for DJing. There are a few options available on the site that I thought I would share to get opinions on. If there is a standard that isn't insanely expensive, I am open to suggestions. The ones available include:

Sennheiser HD650
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H8
Bowers & Wilkins P7
Denon Music Maniac

Personally, I wouldn't use any of these headphones for DJing. (Further, if I was going to spend $300+ on headphones none of these would make the cut.)

From a quick review, it doesn't seem like any of these swivel, which for me is a hard requirement for DJ headphones.

quote:

If there is a standard that isn't insanely expensive

Can you clarify your budget? Because all of these are >$300 and in the DJ headphone world that qualifies as 'insanely expensive'. You did mention something about points so IDK how that factors in.

The HD25 that were mentioned above are often touted as being the standard for DJ headphones. I don't have any problems with them, but I've always had a hardon for ultrasone headphones.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yah the only reason why I even brought those models up is because they were available to purchase via my rewards points and I could justify spending "more" since I either use them or lose them. Just figured out that they do a points : cash exchange as well so I am just going to do that, putting my budget at about 400-500 for a pair of headphones. The HD25's were intriguing and I do like the price point.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Yeah, don't spend that kind of money on headphones. You can get a decent pair for like $1-200 bucks. I've been using the same pair of Ultrasones for almost 10 years for djing and mild-producing. I also have a pair of AIAIAIs that are somewhat modular but I always end up using the Ultrasones because they're more comfortable.

edit: http://www.ultrasone.audio/en/products/dj/dj-1

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 3, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Are people not into Sony V6/V6506 anymore? Before the current crop of DJ-focused headphones started coming out 12ish years ago they were what everybody used. Is it because they don't get as loud as more modern ones? They're $78 on Amazon [and you'll probably have to replace the pads after a few years for $10].

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Yeah, don't spend that kind of money on headphones. You can get a decent pair for like $1-200 bucks. I've been using the same pair of Ultrasones for almost 10 years for djing and mild-producing. I also have a pair of AIAIAIs that are somewhat modular but I always end up using the Ultrasones because they're more comfortable.

edit: http://www.ultrasone.audio/en/products/dj/dj-1

Is there any reason to get the Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro instead of the standard DJ 1?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I really like my AT m40x's for DJing

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

skull mask mcgee posted:

I really like my AT m40x's for DJing

:hfive:

My AT M40fs (previous model) have been my favourite DJ cans for over a decade now.

Used HD25SPs when I started out many moons ago; they're certainly usable and robust but I never felt like they projected much detail. That wasn't really a necessity when mixing primitive early techno.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Is there any reason to get the Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro instead of the standard DJ 1?

The only differences are some replacement pads and a detachable headphone cable. It's up to you. The detachable cable is nice if you're like me and forget to unplug your headphones and try to walk away from the mixer.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I use ATH-M50 cans, but I don't use headphones much (in fact on twitch someone complained about it during a set :laffo:)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

wayfinder posted:

I use ATH-M50 cans, but I don't use headphones much

Aye, when I'm reasonably confident* that I've chosen a suitable track, found some complementary phrasing, and mostly beatmatched it, I start primarily monitoring the blend through the PA. After all, there's little point pulling off a precise and graceful percussion counterpoint in the cans if the venue's sound system has an "interesting" frequency response that reduces all mid-range detail to a throaty honk.

* necessary confidence threshold may vary according to inebriation.

wayfinder posted:

(in fact on twitch someone complained about it during a set :laffo:)

Arf!

"Y-y-you're doing it wrong!" :qq:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I love my pioneer HDJ 1500's but the dude who sold me my SX threw them in for free and I was using $25 headphones from guitar center previously so they sound great :v:

Today marks my 5th time D'ing out in public at an open decks night, and I've gotten a lot of compliments over the weeks from the staff and other guys up there. It's been a lot of fun but after using NXS-2's and a DJM-900 nexus boy howdy do they blow the hell out of my SX in terms of effects and usability. I've actually got a few parties lined up for the summer, and was thinking of maybe seeing if I can sell my SX and get a XDJ-RX, since it's about as similar as a controller can get to CDJ's, plus I won't need to bring my laptop at all. Anyone here used the XDJ and have any comments on it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Headphones? In-ears are like next level for mixing, I honestly don't know why people put up with lovely on-ear headphones like the HD-25s... If I'm mixing myself it's in-ears, if I'm playing with friends then DT770s as even the closed cups on those cut out a fair whack of noise meaning you don't have to deafen yourself to hear your cues.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I much prefer earbuds to headphones, and I would really prefer a wireless IEM to either.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Headphones? In-ears are like next level for mixing, I honestly don't know why people put up with lovely on-ear headphones like the HD-25s...

Don't be this guy.

Don't be Rob Swire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

qirex posted:

Are people not into Sony V6/V6506 anymore? Before the current crop of DJ-focused headphones started coming out 12ish years ago they were what everybody used. Is it because they don't get as loud as more modern ones? They're $78 on Amazon [and you'll probably have to replace the pads after a few years for $10].

I'm still using my v900s. I think they are pushing 13 or 14 years old now