Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They're HACKING the GIBSON?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been able to watch Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale myself, but saw the first movie, read the book, know the premise. A coworker kept going on about how inefficient the entire Handmaid system was; she felt if the end result was MORE babies, then clearly young healthy men would have access, rather than older Commanders, etc. I pointed out it wasn't the end result that was important to the people in charge, it was the system. There's always going to be ways to cheat a system, of course, but in the Handmaid one infertility is solely a female problem, sex slaves have no rights, and you don't give a sex slave a position of possible power, ie, marrying her. You keep her as chattel to be passed around to maximize the baby potential. We had a small argument because for some reason she couldn't loving understand why a society would work its way into a horrible system rather than be smart but still horrible about it.

Which got us into the punishments in Gilead. Of course there's hangings as the most common form, but in the show there's also poo poo like removing a Handmaid's clitoris and gouging out an eye. My question is, and maybe it was answered or mentioned in the show, but why the gently caress not jump right to a lobotomy? Or perhaps that's step three if you're a Handmaid who loses an eye due to loving up. But with the Martha house slaves, caring for a lobotomized Handmaid would be a LOT easier than keeping an eye on possible escapes all the time. The system takes some time to get smooth, after all, and it'd take less time to keep Handmaids in order if they knew a lobotomy was the punishment right off.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Which got us into the punishments in Gilead. Of course there's hangings as the most common form, but in the show there's also poo poo like removing a Handmaid's clitoris and gouging out an eye. My question is, and maybe it was answered or mentioned in the show, but why the gently caress not jump right to a lobotomy? Or perhaps that's step three if you're a Handmaid who loses an eye due to loving up. But with the Martha house slaves, caring for a lobotomized Handmaid would be a LOT easier than keeping an eye on possible escapes all the time. The system takes some time to get smooth, after all, and it'd take less time to keep Handmaids in order if they knew a lobotomy was the punishment right off.

I haven't seen it yet (read the book though) but one of those is Biblical, so symbolic in nature to those dickbags. If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 spoilers

So Ego is a millions-of-years-old sentient planet but he can't keep his attention on more than one person that he's fighting? Also, somehow he doesn't know/isn't aware that Baby Groot has a bomb that will kill him?

It really bugs me whenever a movie's heroes fight a super omniscient/omnipresent enemy who can be distracted by a punch to the face.

Also, he didn't actually seduce dozens of alien species all while in a 80's Kurt Russell form, did he?

Movie's still lots of fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In movies with sword fights where one of the combatants has two blades and the other only has one, there's almost always a bit where the fighter with two weapons manages to lock the blade of their opponent... and then they almost never try striking with their second weapon.

Silly example: in the movie Timecop there's a scene where Jean Claude Van Damme knife fights with a guy - Van Damme has one knife and the other guy has two. There's one bit where the guy blocks Van Damme's knife with one of his and they're braced against each other for about 10 seconds, and the guy just has the hand with his second blade hanging by his side.

Another example: that flashback sword fight in GoT where Ned Stark and some of his friends fight Arthur Dayne, who wields one sword in each hand and gets into that situation a couple of times.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nexus6 posted:

So Ego is a millions-of-years-old sentient planet but he can't keep his attention on more than one person that he's fighting? Also, somehow he doesn't know/isn't aware that Baby Groot has a bomb that will kill him?

It really bugs me whenever a movie's heroes fight a super omniscient/omnipresent enemy who can be distracted by a punch to the face.

Also, he didn't actually seduce dozens of alien species all while in a 80's Kurt Russell form, did he?

Oh man, are you really going to hate the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, assuming they stick closely to the story in the comic

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

nexus6 posted:

I guess I have to spoiler a response to a spoiler even if it's generic? eh That's the thing though, like even the strongest person ever or whatever can only concentrate on so many things at a time. If it's one super strong villain against several less strong people, distractions and whatnot is a sound approach. I have not seen the movie. Did they say he was omniscient or omnipresent?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They're HACKING the GIBSON?!

YOOOOU GENE!

Her voice is my favorite part of the movie because it stands out as being so cartoonish.
Also whomever they got to be the face of the Vitruvian virus is some 80s surfer bro with greasy curly hair.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another example: that flashback sword fight in GoT where Ned Stark and some of his friends fight Arthur Dayne, who wields one sword in each hand and gets into that situation a couple of times.

Which is odd, because in the first season Jamie locks swords with a dude and promptly whips out a knife and jams it into that sucker's eye.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Oh man, are you really going to hate the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, assuming they stick closely to the story in the comic

I get that super strong guys can only fight one person at a time, but we're talking about a super powerful living planet here. To call back to the previous Ultron discussion, where every copy was a fully independent copy of him, it would be like Iron Man punching the main body and somehow all the others being distracted despite being independent beings

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

nexus6 posted:

Also, somehow he doesn't know/isn't aware that Baby Groot has a bomb that will kill him?

From memory he's fully aware, and at one point almost casually smothers them all in... well, himself! Then Peter breaks loose and he has to give his full attention back to fighting him since Peter's got Celestial-level powers himself at the time, which allows the others to break free and continue doing what they were doing.

Basically, he's overconfident/arrogant because he's been the top of the food chain for so long, which is in keeping with the fact his name is Ego.

And yeah, movie was a hell of a lot of fun.

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 10:38 on May 2, 2017

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

From memory he's fully aware, and at one point almost casually smothers them all in... well, himself! Then Peter breaks loose and he has to give his full attention back to fighting him since Peter's got Celestial-level powers himself at the time, which allows the others to break free and continue doing what they were doing.

Basically, he's overconfident/arrogant because he's been the top of the food chain for so long, which is in keeping with the fact his name is Ego.

And yeah, movie was a hell of a lot of fun.

I guess that makes sense, especially since he would have named himself Ego, not having parents and all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Drunken Baker posted:

Which is odd, because in the first season Jamie locks swords with a dude and promptly whips out a knife and jams it into that sucker's eye.

Probably because that's based on the events in the books, whereas the Dayne fight wasn't. As in, it wasn't, uh, 'choreographed' by the book text.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They didn't execute it perfectly (although the father did a pretty good job execution-wise) but I still liked it.

Anyway I forget if I mentioned this before, but I was watching something last night that renewed my irritation - when movies show characters looking at a computer screen or document of some sort and just stand around going "oh poo poo" or other similar reactions, but never show what the hell they are looking at exactly.

The most egregious case was in Margin Call. There's at least a couple minutes straight of them doing exactly this and saying "oh man this is bad, call ____" etc. Finance jargon aside it still took me multiple watches to understand what exactly they were freaking out about. "Show, don't tell" is a popular saying for a good reason imho. I liked the movie and all even if it was a little dull/slow, but that part always manages to get on my nerves.

Margin Call is one of my favourite films but it definitely helps if you know what they're talking about going in. You don't actually get a proper explanation of the problem until the big meeting with Jeremy Irons, which I suspect was intentional on the part of the filmmakers for pacing purposes.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Morpheus posted:

Probably because that's based on the events in the books, whereas the Dayne fight wasn't. As in, it wasn't, uh, 'choreographed' by the book text.

Neither was the Jaime Lannister fight. In the book Ned breaks his leg because a horse falls on him and Jory Cassel is swarmed by multiple guys with spears. Probably one of the only times the show improves upon the books.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

God Hole posted:

Neither was the Jaime Lannister fight. In the book Ned breaks his leg because a horse falls on him and Jory Cassel is swarmed by multiple guys with spears. Probably one of the only times the show improves upon the books.

Oh, well I totally mis-remembered. No idea then, different choreographer perhaps?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

God Hole posted:

Probably one of the only times the show improves upon the books.

You mean apart from "coming out in anything approaching a timely fashion"?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Morpheus posted:

Oh, well I totally mis-remembered. No idea then, different choreographer perhaps?

Probably budgets are tighter now as well. I can see the actors fees going up, more CGI dragons so fight choreography had to take it in the neck... So to speak.
That knife to the eye bit though? :fap::murder:

But it does remind me of a RATIONALLY Irritating Movie Moment. When a murder machine, be it Jason Voorhees, a Golem or a Terminator throws someone when they're trying to kill them. I know there's parts in T1 where Arnie is throwing that dude around the bedroom, but the film as a whole is so drat good that I can overlook that. He wasn't a primary target, he wanted to intimidate "Sarah"(Ginger), make her panic etc. (Same with Jason, but pre-zombification Jason WOULD gently caress with people, I can dig that.)

What REALLY pissed me off though was in Terminator 4 when Bale fights that CGI Arnie who just tosses him around like a ragdoll instead of just ripping his head off (Like they did in the game, which was kinda cool. Get too close to a robot in that and it's an insta-kill).

Now, you COULD write that off as well. The T-800/101/whatever is toying with him. You COULD say that, but from a screenwriting point of view it makes no sense. It annoys me because McG should have had the directorial chops that have made that scene a real tense game of cat and mouse. We know if the Terminator gets a grip of John he's a dead man. Have the robot punch a dang hole in the wall as he lunges for John. If he was in the way he'd have been turned to paste. Don't just have the robot toss him around until the script says it's time to escape via convenience.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nexus6 posted:

I guess that makes sense, especially since he would have named himself Ego, not having parents and all.

It means "Me", roughly speaking.

The Thing that bugs me about the Guardians of the Galaxy movies is that Peter hasn't been back to Earth in 24 years. Where's he getting batteries for his Walkman?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jedit posted:

It means "Me", roughly speaking.

The Thing that bugs me about the Guardians of the Galaxy movies is that Peter hasn't been back to Earth in 24 years. Where's he getting batteries for his Walkman?

I think the absurdly high-tech civilisations he hangs out in would have some kind of solution for 'here's a simple electronic device that needs powering with a portable cell'. It probably doesn't still take AAs. (I haven't seen 2 yet though)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jedit posted:

He clearly managed to wire up a tape player to his spaceship, I think he can find a way to jury rig his Walkman to accept a common power source he has access to with some creative engineering.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Now I want a scene where someone asks him that and he pops it opens, the camera zooms in on energizer batteries or something stupid like that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

I think the absurdly high-tech civilisations he hangs out in would have some kind of solution for 'here's a simple electronic device that needs powering with a portable cell'. It probably doesn't still take AAs. (I haven't seen 2 yet though)

They upgrade him to a Zune

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

Also no other civilisation in the Galaxy listens to music, or at least not on a personal device.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"loving hipster earthling with his stupid tapes, doesn't he know it's all in the cloud now?"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not a movie but I started watching Person of Interest about halfway through, and assumed it was just a television show where a group of vigilantes help someone out every week, somehow missing the science fiction elements and artificial intelligence plots. Thought all the surveillance stuff was a Big Statement on big brother states. :downs:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nexus6 posted:

He did know about the bomb, and even says something like "We have to stop it" right before it goes off. Keep in mind, his name is Ego, so even with whatever omniscience he may have, he probably isnt the most rational being in the universe.

And have you seen 80's Kurt Russel?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

poptart_fairy posted:

Not a movie but I started watching Person of Interest about halfway through, and assumed it was just a television show where a group of vigilantes help someone out every week, somehow missing the science fiction elements and artificial intelligence plots. Thought all the surveillance stuff was a Big Statement on big brother states. :downs:

It starts off as "rescue of the week" with the Machine being largely a plot device, but gradually introduces all that other stuff. I really liked PoI, I'm glad it managed to make it to five seasons. I thought for sure it was dead as soon as it started leaning on the sci fi.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it's running the final season in the UK at the moment. Me and my partner are really into the drat thing, and now there's only four episodes to go. :ohdear:

At least it means Castle is coming back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why isn't there a found footage horror movie where a group of rednecks are out camping when Sasquatch/aliens/Jersey Devil attack? I want to see this thing get hunted, tied to the hood of a car, and drove back into town where it's stuffed and put in a den.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Len posted:

Why isn't there a found footage horror movie where a group of rednecks are out camping when Sasquatch/aliens/Jersey Devil attack? I want to see this thing get hunted, tied to the hood of a car, and drove back into town where it's stuffed and put in a den.

The Tremors TV show really should have just been Burt going out and hunting various cryptozooilogical monsters.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

There's a movie called Altered where some rednecks go and catch an alien and then spend a night in a cabin with it. It doesn't go well for them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a movie called Altered where some rednecks go and catch an alien and then spend a night in a cabin with it. It doesn't go well for them.

There was another alien one that I can't remember the name of for the life of me where a couple people inherit a house or something and find a bunch of alien research stuff in a barn or something. It was actually pretty good even though the special effects when the aliens finally show up are kind of goofy.

A bigfoot found footage movie would be really easy to make/low budget and I'd be surprised if there isn't one out there somewhere already.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

There was another alien one that I can't remember the name of for the life of me where a couple people inherit a house or something and find a bunch of alien research stuff in a barn or something. It was actually pretty good even though the special effects when the aliens finally show up are kind of goofy.

A bigfoot found footage movie would be really easy to make/low budget and I'd be surprised if there isn't one out there somewhere already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Boggy_Creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9V44D9xZ70

It's a classic.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, it's running the final season in the UK at the moment. Me and my partner are really into the drat thing, and now there's only four episodes to go. :ohdear:

At least it means Castle is coming back.

I have additional bad news.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not gonna lie that's what was on my mind when I had the idea. Just a group of good ol boys who end up blowing away whatever Boogeyman is tryin' to get them and the movies over in like 20 minutes.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Not gonna lie that's what was on my mind when I had the idea. Just a group of good ol boys who end up blowing away whatever Boogeyman is tryin' to get them and the movies over in like 20 minutes.

You're Next was good because it's about these killers in masks who show up to a house and start killing everyone inside but it turns out one of the victims was raised by a crazy survivalist type family and she starts murdering the poo poo out of these dudes with brutal traps.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I admit that I love found footage horror movies so I'm not the best impartial judge, but Willow Creek was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlc9UY2iuQ

Don't let this ruin it for you, but it was directed by Bobcat Goldthwait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

Don't let this ruin it for you, but it was directed by Bobcat Goldthwait.

This should encourage people to check this out btw. Bobcat is an interesting director.

There's a decent number of modern based Bigfoot hunting low budget flicks. I've seen at least 3-4 that were Bigfoot oriented found footage flicks and I haven't gotten a chance to dig into some of the older Bigfoot flicks out there.