Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Alternatively, bring back the Concorde and put a turbo on it so we can have someone do the Monoco-Indy "double."

And then fly to Charlotte after for another race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Alternatively, bring back the Concorde and put a turbo on it so we can have someone do the Monoco-Indy "double."

It just benefits all parties invovled.

Indycar/Indy 500 gers global exposure. F1 gets american exposure.

Hell when NASCAR does it? It benefits then. Tony Stewart ding it back in the day grabbed headlines. Same with Kurt.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
As someone who's experience of Indycar is hearing Marshall Pruett talk about it on midweek motorsport, this seems fairly loving cool. I wonder if McLaren keep being poo poo in F1 he just fucks off to Indycar instead.

I should probably watch this series.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's definitely possible now that Bernie isn't loving up the sport. Liberty are pretty open about wanting to expand F1's presence in the US, you'd think allowing more F1 drivers to participate in America's biggest race would be a no-brainer way to gain exposure.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Make the 500 an F1 points-paying race again. A guycandream

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

It's definitely possible now that Bernie isn't loving up the sport. Liberty are pretty open about wanting to expand F1's presence in the US, you'd think allowing more F1 drivers to participate in America's biggest race would be a no-brainer way to gain exposure.

I bet Fernando makes some new fans out of this for sure

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I bet Fernando makes some new fans out of this for sure

And then loses them all after they see him race the shitbox McLaren.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

WindyMan posted:

Agreed. It's not like Nazis in America is anything new to us.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

And then loses them all after they see him race the shitbox McLaren.

gently caress

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IndyCar needs to add captioning to the YouTube stream so I can better pay attention at this conference.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

More than 100,000 people watching Fernando Alonso in a single-car test at Indianapolis.

Robin Miller and Brian Barnhart sitting next to each other, chatting jovially with one another.

What a crazy world we live in.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

I would like nothing more than the Monaco GP and the Indy 500 to be on different dates.

Monaco would need to move to 2 weeks earlier, to avoid 500 qualifying (but still clash with the Indy GP) or 2 weeks later so it was between Le Mans test and race weekends.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I want someone to run the triple. Do whatever you have to do with the schedule to make that work.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Nando is back out with another set of sticker tires. Guess they're not saving them for day 1. Run 'em if you got 'em!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol that wheel has like 40 less controls than an F1 wheel

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lol working on the Rossi strategy with Herta there.

Can't wait to see Alonso's face in silver.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
BIRD!

http://i.imgur.com/jgudlZS.gif

Nando swerved in reaction

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 3, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The sky certainly looks ominous.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

800,000 world wide viewers :psypop:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Two birds one stone cold killer

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

CactusWeasle posted:

Two birds one stone cold killer

I can see the Will Power photoshops incoming

http://i.imgur.com/3MR5PLF.gif

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

I can see the Will Power photoshops incoming

http://i.imgur.com/3MR5PLF.gif

Imagine if those birds hit him head-on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/FiftyBuckss/status/859822194565816324

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I want to see what the Papaya Orange McLaren would look like with crimson red stripes down the sides. Call it the McLaren DBS Special.

"Double Bird Strike"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

listening at the start, they were allowing him to go straight through the Rookie program and get it finished because of the threat of rain/bad weather incoming, and because, well, it's a two-time World Champion who has a Formula 1 day job. You let exceptions happen in exceptional cases. This certainly is one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

listening at the start, they were allowing him to go straight through the Rookie program and get it finished because of the threat of rain/bad weather incoming, and because, well, it's a two-time World Champion who has a Formula 1 day job. You let exceptions happen in exceptional cases. This certainly is one.

Not to mention "You need to do 15 laps between 210 and 215" and he's doing 212 and 213 constantly.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Fernando Alonso is magical and I love him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

My stupid fantasy is to see Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Haas have their own teams, show up on a regular basis, etc. Vettel actually seemed receptive to running Indy for example, and I know Ferrari has always wanted to run/win this race. (Also hearing what Rossi said about how Vettel, Alonso being the only two to offer help in the F1 garages made me go :unsmith:).

Not to mention to have McLaren create an IndyCar chassis to go along with Dallara in some capacity. There's gotta be a way to "Spec." it so costs can remain low, right?

(flip side? For Penske, Andretti, and Ganassi to field F1 teams. F1 to have "customer car" again.).

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 3, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There was discussion among the teams not that long ago about IndyCar and Formula 1 sharing an engine spec. You'll be shocked to hear that the FIA turned it down. It made a ton of sense for pretty much everybody, but sense has never been what governs the FIA. Instead they got comically expensive "power units" that nobody wants to build and sound like poo poo.

In my ideal world, IndyCar and F1 would share common engines, tires, dimensions, tub specs etc, with either series allowed to do what they want with regard to things like aero development and weight. Sorta like the WEC/IMSA P2 deal. Work out a deal where F1 is limited to X number of NAFTA races, and IndyCar limited to X number of international races to not steal turf. Would dramatically cut costs and boost grids on both sides, and I don't think many fans would care.

Then again both IndyCar and F1 fans are just awful so who knows.

ah poo poo fuzzy made me make a fantasy post

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You got one thing wrong, which is that the current F1 engine manufacturers absolutely want to build these engines. They played a huge role in designing the spec.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so. Mod post inbound. You didn't gently caress up, so this isn't anything bad.

But I need your help. I'm going to be running a competition on the 28th regarding all three races, and I need a description of the 500 (such as history, why it's important, etc) for the eventual thread OP. Best submission one will get featured in it (and perhaps some bonus points for it)! PM me, or if you don't have plat, quote this post with your submission. Thank you!

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 3, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

My stupid fantasy is to see Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Haas have their own teams, show up on a regular basis, etc. Vettel actually seemed receptive to running Indy for example, and I know Ferrari has always wanted to run/win this race.

Still probably my favorite Ferrari story.

quote:

Realizing that they had perhaps gone a bit too far, and with the danger of a total Ferrari departure still fresh in their minds, FISA representatives traveled to Maranello in late 1986. Their objective was to appease il Commendatore and convince him to remain in Formula 1. During the talks Ferrari conceded that he was willing to give up the V12, but could not guarantee that his company would not pursue other racing interests.

Immediately after this statement the FISA contingent was surprised by the sound of an engine starting up. The sound seemed to come from a small turbocharged V8. Enzo Ferrari casually pointed out the Tipo 34 being tested to his guests. To their shock and horror, the FISA men realized just how far along Ferrari’s CART project really was.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

There was discussion among the teams not that long ago about IndyCar and Formula 1 sharing an engine spec. You'll be shocked to hear that the FIA turned it down. It made a ton of sense for pretty much everybody, but sense has never been what governs the FIA. Instead they got comically expensive "power units" that nobody wants to build and sound like poo poo.

In my ideal world, IndyCar and F1 would share common engines, tires, dimensions, tub specs etc, with either series allowed to do what they want with regard to things like aero development and weight. Sorta like the WEC/IMSA P2 deal. Work out a deal where F1 is limited to X number of NAFTA races, and IndyCar limited to X number of international races to not steal turf. Would dramatically cut costs and boost grids on both sides, and I don't think many fans would care.

Then again both IndyCar and F1 fans are just awful so who knows.

ah poo poo fuzzy made me make a fantasy post

Well and I think that would help IndyCar as there's only a certain amount of non-NAFTA venues that work. Having the rule be "You go outside of North America? You have to run an oval" would probably be the best option in that regard. (We'll call it the "Tony George" rule). So Eurospeedway, and Rockingham for example would be the de facto international IndyCar venues again. That or have it be rubber stamped by F1. ('Oh hey. They're running in Surfers, not Melbourne. Who give's a poo poo? Pass)

My stupid rear end other fantasy? F1 runs IMS again thus giving me a race within driving distance to attend. I wanna see how the cars would handle the new RC.

wicka posted:

You got one thing wrong, which is that the current F1 engine manufacturers absolutely want to build these engines. They played a huge role in designing the spec.

I imagine this would greatly assist Honda on both sides of the Atlantic.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 4, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wicka posted:

Hasn't Renault threatened to pull the plug on like a yearly basis, and basically everyone complained about the cost and lack of availability?

I'll be honest, F1 news coverage is so impossibly garbage that I skim 99% of the articles and then skip around the races without watching them in full so I could be wrong i dunno

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Still probably my favorite Ferrari story.

The Ferrari 637 was pretty real.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Hasn't Renault threatened to pull the plug on like a yearly basis, and basically everyone complained about the cost and lack of availability?

I'll be honest, F1 news coverage is so impossibly garbage that I skim 99% of the articles and then skip around the races without watching them in full so I could be wrong i dunno

No they have a works team. The manufacturers wanted hybrid Turbo power. Mercedes is winning because they did the best job.

In addition, let's keep what works for Indycar in Indycar and leave F1 separate. F1 usually has been about designing the chassis from the ground up.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

In addition, let's keep what works for Indycar in Indycar and leave F1 separate. F1 usually has been about designing the chassis from the ground up.

its my dream it will be as dumb as i want it pal !!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cygni posted:

its my dream it will be as dumb as i want it pal !!

I'm sure what honda really wants is their F1 engine going to all their Indy customers right now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

No, Red Bull threatens to leave because the Renault engine isn't good enough. If anything Renault has doubled down on the sport. The complaints about cost mostly arise from the fact that the manufacturers want other manufacturers to join, kinda like what we see in IndyCar, but the upfront cost is just so high. But the fact that it's a "hybrid" means it's much easier for these manufacturers to convince their boards to stay involved, despite the insane costs.

I would argue that it's much stupider than what you described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Right now, it feels like production engines are going one of three ways:

1. High fuel eco NA engines
2. High HP turbo engines
3. Hybrids

F1 hits two of those three. Indy hits one. However, Indy has a vested interest in keeping costs down, so a twin turbo-V6 is probably the best power and tech mix you can get without having to get into hybrids and driving costs up and out of reach for most teams. F1 likes to market itself as the cutting edge of automotive tech, and to be fair it usually is. How much of that tech trickling down into your car though is arguable.

e: how many top car series today still use NA engines? I know NASCAR does and LMP2/DPi do, but beyond those two I'm drawing a blank (though I'm also tired atm).

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 4, 2017

• Locked thread