Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of villains are Justice League threats who inevitable ends up jobbing to non-leaguers at some point. I'm pretty sure Amazo and Despero have both gotten their poo poo wrecked for example.

I think Doctor Light actually started out as somebody who could beat the Justice League before being downgraded to a kinda sometimes competent Teen Titans villain, and then had that really dumb retcon applied to explain that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

I think Doctor Light actually started out as somebody who could beat the Justice League before being downgraded to a kinda sometimes competent Teen Titans villain, and then had that really dumb retcon applied to explain that.

When Light was in the original Suicide Squad, he was portrayed as a pathetic loser, desperate for approval and resentful over constantly getting his rear end kicked by kid heroes (to the point where he killed a teen hero in a fight because he was terrified of being beaten by a kid again). Ostrander eventually killed him off, and then of course came Identity Crisis to redeem him as Doctor Light, Super Rapist.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Have any origins or adaptions tried to make Supergirl and Powergirl sisters? I think one continuity had them as cousins, but why not? It seems much easier way of introducing the two.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Have any origins or adaptions tried to make Supergirl and Powergirl sisters? I think one continuity had them as cousins, but why not? It seems much easier way of introducing the two.

JLU had an evil Powergirl be a clone of Supergirl. I don't know if you would consider a clone to be a sister though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aren't they sisters or something close in Bombshells?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

purple death ray posted:

Aren't they sisters or something close in Bombshells?

Maybe they're identical cousins?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've never read Injustice, but Injustice 2 #5 is supposed to be about the Ted Kord Blue Beetle, my favorite character. The comic was solicited with a July 5th date, but it says "Digital First." Do those comics ever come out in print, ideally as singles?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The digital issues are shorter than a print issue so they bundle I think 3 together at a time for the print releases.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never read Injustice, but Injustice 2 #5 is supposed to be about the Ted Kord Blue Beetle, my favorite character.

I should probably get the condolences out of the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first issue of the new Injustice comic drops in print tomorrow.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Gavok posted:

Ted Kord fans have been accustomed to suffering since like 1985.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope they make Ted gay

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Frankly I'm half expected Ted to get killed revealing that Maxwell Lord is working against the superheroes again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ted could make for a great premier skin for Batman in the game.

Pretty confident he gets killed in the comic though since Jaime is in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm under no illusions. Ted even got killed in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

I hope they make Ted gay

What do you mean, "make"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, I want him to openly kiss boys. Ted kissing all the good boys. Just so American Dracula cries.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roth posted:

Ted could make for a great premier skin for Batman in the game.

Pretty confident he gets killed in the comic though since Jaime is in it.

Wouldn't Ted be an appropriate skin for Jaime?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Endless Mike posted:

No, I want him to openly kiss boys. Ted kissing all the good boys. Just so American Dracula cries.

Then make him kiss the Latino boys and break down crying because he realizes he'll never be as cool.

Edit: I love Ted but he's kind of like the Hank Pym of DC, where's he much more interesting as an ex Super Hero & supporting character than a current one and main character.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 3, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Does Batman Brave and the Bold have the highest permanent hero deaths in any animated DC adaption? I'm trying to find a complete list but like I'm watching youtube clips and some characters die in cold openings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ2GFf8iZFA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

He's closer to Bats since he uses gadgets and part of his deal is that he could never get the scarab to work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

They'd have to reanimate everything for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Blue Beetle III and BB II have entirely different movesets. If you're not familiar with Ted, just remember that Nite Owl from Watchmen was based on him.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

good day for a bris posted:

Edit: I love Ted but he's kind of like the Hank Pym of DC, where's he much more interesting as an ex Super Hero & supporting character than a current one and main character.

I agree with every part of this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

good day for a bris posted:

Yeah you'd think that, but man is the current Blue Beetle book bad.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah you'd think that, but man is the current Blue Beetle book bad.

Oh, it's loving dire, but Jaime's books haven't been good since Rogers left the first time. I'm just convinced Ted could totally work. I'm just more confused because it's Giffen and you'd think he'd have a better handle but more and more I'm realizing that having a book written by "Giffen & _____" is almost always great but have just Giffen seems to not work more often than not.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What are some of Wonder Woman's best stories, I don't know enough about the character, looking forward to the movie though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

What are some of Wonder Woman's best stories, I don't know enough about the character, looking forward to the movie though.

See the last page of the DC Comics thread, there was just a flurry of suggestions offered there yesterday.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 3, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bessantj posted:

George Perez just had a trade released of his post crisis WW reboot, it's extremely good and defines the character very well. I don't know what the stories are called specifically but Greg Rucka's runs are all excellent. Gail Simone's aren't quite as good as Rucka's but they're still good stuff. Justice League: A League of One is a great WW story. The Hiketaia (I probably spelled that wrong) is a good one too.

The New 52 WW series by Azzarello and Cliff Chiang is a great read but it takes some liberties with the character and her supporting cast that are overall bad, and currently being retconned away by Rucka's new stuff.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks to both of you.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I loved Gail Simone's run up until Genocide showed up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

With Joker being in Injustice 2, I'm writing a piece on continuities where they killed off the Joker only for him to return or live on in some fashion. Here's what I have:

- Dark Knight Returns
- Batman Beyond
- Arkham game series
- The Nail
- The Batman 666 future
- The NES Batman games
- The planned fifth Batman movie where Nicholson Joker would have reappeared as a fear gas illusion
- The first Injustice

Anything else? Any Elseworlds I'm missing?

Here's the article I ended up writing.

I wanted to call it Death of a Clown: The Many Haunts of the Joker, but the editor decided to name it something simpler and more clickbaity.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Gavok posted:

Here's the article I ended up writing.

I wanted to call it Death of a Clown: The Many Haunts of the Joker, but the editor decided to name it something simpler and more clickbaity.

That's a clever title, but also I would have thought from "The Many Haunts of the Joker" that it was an article about Joker's various secret hideouts, so I can understand the choice.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Why the hell do denofgeek and cracked articles have to reload and take me back to the top of the article three or four times on iOS safari?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Because they are loading tons of ads that keep resetting your place in the page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol if you don't have an ad blocked installed

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

lol if you want content creators you enjoy to eat and have health insurance

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

They need to find a better way to do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I only turn on my ad blocker for Gavok articles.

You aren't eating any fancy steaks on my dime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I tried to read the article on a friggin Pixel XL and I had to give up after trying to scroll further down, the page was so user​-unfriendly and sluggish. :(