Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Panzeh posted:

I'm pretty surprised at how guys like Eric Gordon manage to be very solid defenders there.

No, the only surprise with guys like Eric Gordon there is that he has stayed healthy. Everything else is similar to past production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I've literally never understood why people:

a) like watching Floyd Mayweather box
b) want to see a not-boxer fight a boxer in a boxing match

It would be like seeing who would win in a basketball game, Lebron or Mike Trout.

Yeah, I'm sure Mike Trout can probably play basketball ok but who the gently caress wants to watch that

I like the art of Boxing and Floyd is really loving good at it. He's a piece of garbage as far as being a human. but he is still one of the greatest boxers of all time.

It's like how a basketball fan will usually learn how to watch and appreciate well executed defense and enjoy it.

But yeah. Casual fans just looking for an "event" boxing match are almost always disappointed and it's always hilarious.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Floyd's ability to be popular despite being terrible to watch (ESPECIALLY if you're not a technical boxing junkie) never ceases to amaze me. Every fight he convinces three million casual boxing fans to go YEAH THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD and shell out for a ppv despite like his entire career for the last six years as evidence to the contrary.

To paraphrase a good post I read in PSP once, everyone tunes in to Floyd fights because they hear that he's the world's best boxer and then get disappointed when they find out that what the 'world's best boxer' looks like nothing what they imagined it would. Kinda like the soccer crowd in the Simpsons. Except instead of it being a one off it happens every year or so because collectively the world has a short as poo poo memory.

/derail

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
So he's like James Harden.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

dokmo posted:

but he does cool stuff

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

attackmole posted:

Floyd's ability to be popular despite being terrible to watch (ESPECIALLY if you're not a technical boxing junkie) never ceases to amaze me. Every fight he convinces three million casual boxing fans to go YEAH THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD and shell out for a ppv despite like his entire career for the last six years as evidence to the contrary.

To paraphrase a good post I read in PSP once, everyone tunes in to Floyd fights because they hear that he's the world's best boxer and then get disappointed when they find out that what the 'world's best boxer' looks like nothing what they imagined it would. Kinda like the soccer crowd in the Simpsons. Except instead of it being a one off it happens every year or so because collectively the world has a short as poo poo memory.

/derail

I think to expand on it, what they're hoping for is a vicious, spectacular KO.

He usually only scores that on women, though.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dokmo posted:

Oh my God this is perfect.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Too bad Thomas is too small to carry a team. The Celtics need to get a real superstar.

I hope Boston keeps on winning and IT tells Simmons to suck it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hahahaha that motherfucking Bulls press conference.

It was like an hour of GarPax throwing Fred Hoiberg under the bus, but still not firing him as then they wouldn't have a punching bag.

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/859806225885745152

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 3, 2017

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Man, I'm sorry, Bulls fans. Why couldn't Paxson fall off the face of the earth after hitting that 3-pointer against the Suns 1993?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hey Fred. Your job this offseason is to get in the office and put on 20lbs of leadership, while also working on your inspiration game.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Man, I'm sorry, Bulls fans. Why couldn't Paxson fall off the face of the earth after hitting that 3-pointer against the Suns 1993?

Before that would have been good too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/BullsBlogger/status/859813122953052160

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ghosts of Jailblazers Past

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://twitter.com/bencfalk/status/859803850487853058

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I've literally never understood why people:

a) like watching Floyd Mayweather box
b) want to see a not-boxer fight a boxer in a boxing match

It would be like seeing who would win in a basketball game, Lebron or Mike Trout.

Yeah, I'm sure Mike Trout can probably play basketball ok but who the gently caress wants to watch that

Mayweather's one of the greatest boxers ever, why wouldn't people want to watch him? Dude's defense is amazing, and watching how he slowly snuffs out his opponent's ability to do anything is great.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

alansmithee posted:

Mayweather's one of the greatest boxers ever, why wouldn't people want to watch him? Dude's defense is amazing, and watching how he slowly snuffs out his opponent's ability to do anything is great.

Most people don't know what to watch for when watching boxing. It's like people who watch basketball and only watch the ball.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every time I've tried to watch boxing in, oh, the last 15 years or so it's been some mega hyped fight of the century deal that you pay $50 bucks to watch and it's a huge disappointment, so I never developed a taste for it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Strawberry Panda posted:

Most people don't know what to watch for when watching boxing. It's like people who watch basketball and only watch the ball.

I don't think that's a very good analogy. In every sport, the casual fans will gravitate towards the flashy offenses and call the great defenses "boring." But the hardcore fans will appreciate the defense as much or more than the offense because they know what to look for and can see how good it is.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Brandon Roy is a hell of a human being

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

That mailman analogy is not super relatable but otherwise this is good

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/05/lebron_james_associates_dont_w.html

Skipping away from the beer now

Pungent Mammy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 3, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

alansmithee posted:

He's also one of the greatest villains in boxing history and people want to see him lose and they are 100% sure that this is the fight where he goes down.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think that's a very good analogy. In every sport, the casual fans will gravitate towards the flashy offenses and call the great defenses "boring." But the hardcore fans will appreciate the defense as much or more than the offense because they know what to look for and can see how good it is.

I think that's true for most sports, but in fighting, the defense is very clear to see. There's really no denying how humiliating it is to be so outclassed. Its a staple of movie fight choreography also. Your superiority is best shown by how you don't even have to throw a punch, i think people understand this motif.

Floyds continual superiority and mocking of the public has been hugely successful, and I admire that aspect of him. At least he seems to be getting the benefit, and not don king, vince mcman(?), dana white, etc.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Femur posted:

I think that's true for most sports, but in fighting, the defense is very clear to see. There's really no denying how humiliating it is to be so outclassed. Its a staple of movie fight choreography also. Your superiority is best shown by how you don't even have to throw a punch, i think people understand this motif.

I would agree with you if not for the fact that every time there's a big Floyd fight there's a gigantic outcry about how boring it was, which I think is what started this whole conversation in the first place.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

I would agree with you if not for the fact that every time there's a big Floyd fight there's a gigantic outcry about how boring it was, which I think is what started this whole conversation in the first place.

That's because people watch boxing expecting to see Rocky vs Ivan Drago.

A guy who boxes defensively and doesn't take repeated shots to the head for 20 years isn't boring. It's intelligent.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

They say it's boring because they don't want to look like haters, or worse..

like boxing seems dead, why? because it is in fact boring, i mean like anything else, there can be moments, but why is boxing not prominent today? We are not entertain by it to begin with.

edit: like the reason Floyd is the attraction is because of the event nature of a "big" fight, but his reputation is because people recognize his greatness, even subconsciously. The showboating of the defensive greatness makes our desire to hit him even greater. People make up reasons to mask that they just want him brought down a peg. Watch any movie fight, the big slow dude is always taunting the agile dude to come fight like a real man. That's the excuse you make when you can't win, that the other guy is cheap or a coward weak, whatever.

Femur fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 3, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

TBeats posted:

He's also one of the greatest villains in boxing history and people want to see him lose and they are 100% sure that this is the fight where he goes down.

Not to go too far afield, but boxing's filled with actual murderers and whatnot so calling Mayweather one of it's greatest villains is a bit of hyperbole. Also a lot of how he acts in public is deliberate because he knows he needs to play the antagonist to get people to watch his fights-people want to see him lose.

The only real drama the fight has in my mind is seeing if Mcgregor gets flustered enough to unleash kicks/elbows or something similar. Dude isn't even at the top of UFC strikers (or so I've been lead to believe, dudes better up on UFC may correct me) and UFC strikers in general look amateurish next to boxers in how they use their hands (not a knock, they also have to train about 20 other things than just hands so it's understandable). Floyd's not gonna get hit by anything Connor's throwing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

alansmithee posted:

Not to go too far afield, but boxing's filled with actual murderers and whatnot so calling Mayweather one of it's greatest villains is a bit of hyperbole. Also a lot of how he acts in public is deliberate because he knows he needs to play the antagonist to get people to watch his fights-people want to see him lose.

The only real drama the fight has in my mind is seeing if Mcgregor gets flustered enough to unleash kicks/elbows or something similar. Dude isn't even at the top of UFC strikers (or so I've been lead to believe, dudes better up on UFC may correct me) and UFC strikers in general look amateurish next to boxers in how they use their hands (not a knock, they also have to train about 20 other things than just hands so it's understandable). Floyd's not gonna get hit by anything Connor's throwing.

Villain in boxing. Not actual villain* his "character" that he portrays is the biggest villain in boxing.

*debateable but I'm talking relative to your post about murderers and stuff.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

dokmo posted:

:vince:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

alansmithee posted:

IMO it's all a ruse on the part of McGregor; he's going to take Floyd to the mat, ignoring the directions of the referee, and pounding Floyd repeatedly in the face.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Femur posted:

like boxing seems dead, why? because it is in fact boring, i mean like anything else, there can be moments, but why is boxing not prominent today? We are not entertain by it to begin with.

That's not really true. A lot of the issues with boxing are due to mismanagement and greater competition. Also a lot of the same types of complaints people have about boxing being boring are leveled against MMA as dudes have gotten more and more technical. As an aside, there recently was a fight card that was showcasing a bunch of Ukrainian dudes headlined by Vasyl Lomachenko that was really good, if dudes wanna check out more on boxing.

And it's a fair point about Floyd being a villain in terms of boxing, that's def part of what has made him rich. Dude wants the hate.

But really, we should be talking about basketball, which i'm pretty sure is the best sport anyways.

And for all the griping, I've found Harden to not nearly be as insufferable this year as in the past. Maybe it's because you don't also have Dwight sucking up the court and contributing to the free throw parade, but I've appreciated his game a lot more this year than before.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 3, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

alansmithee posted:

He's thought of as one of the most unique and talented kick punchers in MMA, he throws own body destroying other man defeating kicks and punches like the late georges st pierre or kickboxing's favorite sociopath Badr Hari

But boxing is another world, there's 200 years of punch and clinch no kicks no throws no trips no stuff on the ground fighting wisdom and Floyd has it, MMA is still in its infancy. Floyd would win a boxing match with a month of training to get his wind up. He has been boxing since he dropped out of school at 14 or so. Connor McGregor would not stand a chance.

But if they fought with kickboxing rules, it would be interesting. I'm incredibly rich so I would go to a bar that was showing it and not pay for the 100 dollar pay per view myself as I've learned money saving tips by reading the best selling novel Rich Dad Poor Dad

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Femur posted:

Boxing isn't dead, it's just at a nadir in the US because there are very few world class American fighters currently and Americans are notorious for only being interested in international sporting events where they can win. Boxing is as popular as ever in the rest of the world and is actually currently more popular than ever in Mexico and the UK, for example.

Its exactly the same way that tennis is dying in popularity according to much of the American media (i.e. Sampras and Agassi retired), when in actuality it has been going through a golden age of global popularity and standard of play over the last decade.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 3, 2017

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
but who would win a shaq - demetrious johnson mma fight

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
You can make any excuse you want, but there seems to be little demand outside of these events. I don't mean to insult boxing, I am merely saying people don't demand more because they don't want more. It does not entertain them.

So puting it on floyd or defensive style doesn't make sense since people don't want to watch boxing anyways, and have just finished watching something because of peer pressure.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
G: the Celtics are up 2-0 after being nearly exposed as frauds by the Bulls

V: the Celtics appear to be slightly less fraudulent than they were in the first round, but being up 2-0 ain't poo poo in the NBA. what are everyone else's thoughts? celtics as contenders? or are they paper tigers ready to collapse at any second

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TBeats posted:

That's because people watch boxing expecting to see Rocky vs Ivan Drago.

A guy who boxes defensively and doesn't take repeated shots to the head for 20 years isn't boring. It's intelligent.

That's literally the exact point I was making though w/r/t the difference between casual and hardcore fans though. Casual fans don't see amazing defense, they see a boring fight because they expected Ali/Tyson/Rocky.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

IcePhoenix posted:

That's literally the exact point I was making though w/r/t the difference between casual and hardcore fans though. Casual fans don't see amazing defense, they see a boring fight because they expected Ali/Tyson/Rocky.

That's the real reason boxing is dying, people want an american heavyweight champion who knocks everyone out and they don't care about anything else. Knockouts sell. That's why Pacquiao Maywether was a huge fight, because Manny knocked so many people out, and Floyd was undefeated. Floyd waited for Manny to age out of his prime to fight him, like he did for so many other fighters. That's why he has a billion dollars and no obvious signs of CTE, he's the clever villain wrestler who points to his brain to emphasize his wits and craft are why he's defeating your strong and brave hero.

I feel like boxing also sagged in popularity because it was perceived as too brutal. Now we know that football is just as bad, if not worse, and we have bloody MMA fights weekly, so I think it will survive.

It has safety as a niche ethnic sport in america with superfights once a year or so, it can climb out of that niche. The bar where I watched the Mayweather fight was like 99% Pinoy except for my friend and I and we both bet on Floyd to win, the odds were great because of all the people who bet against him just because they loved Manny and hated Floyd. The tension was incredible. They all thought Manny still had a chance, but entropy reigns and the philly shell can only be cracked by a man in motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
http://www.operationsports.com/news/908385/nba-playgrounds-releases-on-may-9-for-20-new-details-gameplay-video/
NBA playgrounds comes out next week and operation sports is claiming it won't have micro transactions. I'm going to get the Switch version and will let the thread know if it's worth buying. I was really worried it would be ruined by micro transactions.

• Locked thread