Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Futuresight posted:

Had a game today where my brother got killed relatively early so I wasn't playing too seriously anymore. I came across 2 guys running across the country-side and noticed they weren't watching behind them so I decided to just stalk them for a bit instead of firing. I followed them for about 2 minutes before they got to a house and ran into another group coming to the house from the other side. I sat back and watched as the other side downed one of the 2 dudes before they lost the fight and died. I waited for the survivor to go rez his friend and then popped him in the head and looted 4 corpses for the price of 1. Probably my favourite round so far even though I didn't win.

I had a game where our squad posted up in a concrete walled compound on a flat plain, a guy at each corner. Despite this a whole nother squad crouched walked almost completely through the middle without seeing each other. I turned around and I thought our squad was moving out but it was a different set of people.

Also American voice chat: homo gay Chinese number one lol!

British voice chat: singing about eating English breakfast together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Ok, rifle chat time. I still don't have a super great feel for what rifle I want to be carrying.

For the 5.56 rifles things get weird with the attachments. Without any, the M16 feels the best. But it doesn't have a Grip attachment slot, so if I've got a vertical grip am I better off with a SCAR or M4? Then the M4 also gets the stock which none of the other rifles have an option for which complicates things again.

The AK seems to be stronger at short-mid range but weaker at mid-long range because of the extra recoil. I do like having one on full auto for my house sweeper, though.

Mostly my questions come after I kill a dude and I'm looting him. I kill someone with an M16, but I'm carrying a vertical grip and he had a SCAR. Do I switch? Stick with the gun that's already got a notch on it? I usually just stand on the loot crate going "hmmmm" until I either die or have to move on.

The answer might just be that the rifles are pretty balanced and this is splitting hairs. After ~200 combined rounds of solo and duo I don't have a solid answer so I might just be overthinking it. And maybe it doubly doesn't matter if the patch notes are just going to read "adjusted damage for rifles" with no concrete feedback on what the changes are.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The scar is the best AR right now due to its stability and lack of spread while holding M1, provided that you have it a foregrip on it

The AK is great for plinking mid to long range as well as for mid range holding M1 (i like to use them to blow up cars running at me since they do slightly more damage but their spread and stability are kind of bad). I would say that the Ak is a better SKS. The M16 is also great for long range though it's not god tier like it once was.

The M416 is dogshit garbage now, it's completely uncontrollable unless you have it fully kitted out, then it's about as good as the AK at best though it does less damage

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Woop, just managed to finish 6th, felt pretty good!

So far my favourite weapon is the 5-shell shotgun, I've not lost an encounter with it yet, seems pretty deadly at mid to close range. My tactic was to just hole up in a building right on the edge of the safe zone until it reduced and then repeat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/859780673736818689

:hellyeah:

lol at the south african in the comments "20 OF MY MATES HAVE THIS GAME PLEASE LET US PLAY IN EUROPE SERVERS"

sometimes living in places has disadvantages who knew

PLAYERUNKNOWN I LIVE IN ROCK IN PACIFIC OCEAN I HAVE 800 PING Y I NO PLAY GAME SO UNFAIR BOYCOTT

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol at the south african in the comments "20 OF MY MATES HAVE THIS GAME PLEASE LET US PLAY IN EUROPE SERVERS"

PLAYERUNKNOWN I LIVE IN ROCK IN PACIFIC OCEAN I HAVE 800 PING Y I NO PLAY GAME SO UNFAIR BOYCOTT

A good friend of mine plays with us (we all live in the UK) from South Africa, if this meant that he couldn't join us then it'd be a real shame. He does pretty okay too, his only complaint is excessive inventory lag.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My guess is the ping limit will be somewhere in the 250s so I'm sure your friend in Sith Efrika will be fine

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, I think I'm kind of coming around on the crossbow, at least for solo. Last match, I landed in a group of four large houses but only found a crossbow and a pistol, and all the other promising areas nearby had already been looted by other players. So all I could do was ready my medieval stick-thrower and move on towards the circle, hoping that I might get lucky. Well, three headshots later, I'd managed to leverage that crossbow into a silenced M16 with an 8x, a Saiga with extended mags, and all the meds I could ever want.

Early on, people tend to be both a little careless unless they have been spooked by something particular, and it's fairly easy to anticipate where they'll be coming from. If you've got the opportunity to sneak up on them, it's incredibly useful to be able to take them out with a single perfectly quiet shot that doesn't give them the opportunity to fight back. The latter two of my victims just ran past me not even 50 meters from where I killed the one before. They simply had no particular reason to even suspect somebody was even there in the first place.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I don't know, maybe they can remove the ping limit for the unranked servers or something, but some of the lag I've seen is absurd and I welcome this change. Sorry Moonsha and potentially some of you EU goons.

This was actually one of the things that came up when I talked to PU. He did say this engine should be better than Arma in terms hit detection, and then I mentioned he'll probably have enough of a population playing this game where a ping limit won't stop games from actually filling and starting, like it would have in Arma 3 BR.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 3, 2017

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The scar is the best AR right now due to its stability and lack of spread while holding M1, provided that you have it a foregrip on it

The AK is great for plinking mid to long range as well as for mid range holding M1 (i like to use them to blow up cars running at me since they do slightly more damage but their spread and stability are kind of bad). I would say that the Ak is a better SKS. The M16 is also great for long range though it's not god tier like it once was.

The M416 is dogshit garbage now, it's completely uncontrollable unless you have it fully kitted out, then it's about as good as the AK at best though it does less damage

I'm seconding this notion that the SCAR is top tier, but I'm also using it in Wildlands and I love it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Crossbowns

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

haha yeah gently caress those guys for wanting to play this game, should've been born somewhere else noobs!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bardeh posted:

haha yeah gently caress those guys for wanting to play this game, should've been born somewhere else noobs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Carebearz posted:

I'm seconding this notion that the SCAR is top tier, but I'm also using it in Wildlands and I love it.

If you enjoy Wildlands, your opinion for other should be revoked. Just saying.

Bardeh posted:

If there's enough demand, I don't think they'd be opposed to opening servers in other regions. They're pretty flush with cash right now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bardeh posted:

well, lag armor is real in this game, so..

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wildlands is a lot of fun esp if you didnt care and went full rambo on the sneaky peaky missions

playing it tactically was also p fun though I didnt go back and finish it yet because i played the beta too much and burned out on it

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Bushes are op as heck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshDnqAyXqY

not shown: me sitting in that bush for 8 straight minutes as cars and people on foot walked past me.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you enjoy Wildlands, your opinion for other should be revoked. Just saying.

If there's enough demand, I don't think they'd be opposed to opening servers in other regions. They're pretty flush with cash right now.

Except Wildlands is actually a decent shooter and you should stop comparing it to The Division, which is what I bet you're doing.

Multiplayer in Wildlands is where the game really shines.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Wildlands is a lot of fun esp if you didnt care and went full rambo on the sneaky peaky missions

playing it tactically was also p fun though I didnt go back and finish it yet because i played the beta too much and burned out on it

I'm waiting on my friends to catch up, all i have are the 4 underbosses and El Sueno left.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

??? access to videogames isn't a universal right lmao

I want great barbecue but I don't live in the correct area
I want guaranteed healthcare but I don't live in the correct area
I want good connection to online games and thankfully at least I have that

I'm intentionally playing on oceania and EU servers to get that lag armor :thumbsup: and I suspect many other people are too!

keep laggy shitters like me from abusing this tia

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

One of those should be a right though. No one should eat bad barbecue.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Well sure, that's fine and I hope they do. Personally, some Southeast Asia servers would be great - there's a huge playerbase here who get lovely pings to the existing Asian servers in Korea and Amazon offer servers in Singapore which are ideally located for the region. However, lag armor or not, I really don't like the idea of strict ping restrictions so that friends and family from different regions cant play together. Depending on what they set the threshold to, I might not be able to play with my brother anymore, and that would really, really suck.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Carebearz posted:

Except Wildlands is actually a decent shooter and you should stop comparing it to The Division, which is what I bet you're doing.

Multiplayer in Wildlands is where the game really shines.

The Division is a MUCH better game than Wildlands, which ran out of things to do 3 sub bosses in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think the market for survival games in Africa might be a bit flat seeing as you can go a few hundred miles north of South Africa and play the real thing for the price of an AK and some malaria medicine. :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Depending on what they set the threshold to, I might not be able to play with my brother anymore, and that would really, really suck.

they should add unrestricted servers for you. the nature of the game and the laws of physics say that there's going to be significant lag that affects gameplay. not having ping limits allows idiots like me and real actual cheaters to abuse it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Well sure, that's fine and I hope they do. Personally, some Southeast Asia servers would be great - there's a huge playerbase here who get lovely pings to the existing Asian servers in Korea and Amazon offer servers in Singapore which are ideally located for the region. However, lag armor or not, I really don't like the idea of strict ping restrictions so that friends and family from different regions cant play together. Depending on what they set the threshold to, I might not be able to play with my brother anymore, and that would really, really suck.

Well, like I said, they should ping limit for Ranked play. There's no excuse for not doing it. You could allow unrestricted ping for Unranked so everyone can feel good and have fun. But its not worth ruining the experience for 90% of the population to appease 1% of the population who want to play cross region or maybe across two regions.

I mean, look at this poo poo. No one should have to deal with this.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134859354

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is it possible for them to voice recognition ban the people screaming 'friend of the family' and other words?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Ctrl-T by default.

This is probably the game where screeching toxicity bothers me the least, because all that hateful poo poo fuels my inner sjw rage and subsequent digital killing spree.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it possible for them to voice recognition ban the people screaming 'friend of the family' and other words?

I mentioned that it'd be a far more constructive solution to make a voice recognition system that would put a giant "THERE'S A RACIST HERE" arrow over those folks that anyone within an grid square can see.

They'd just start using other words, though - like "cuck." Of course, just make that spawn a "THERE'S A JINGOISTIC VIRGIN MEME LORD HERE" arrow.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mentioned that it'd be a far more constructive solution to make a voice recognition system that would put a giant "THERE'S A RACIST HERE" arrow over those folks that anyone within an grid square can see.

They'd just start using other words, though - like "cuck." Of course, just make that spawn a "THERE'S A JINGOISTIC VIRGIN MEME LORD HERE" arrow.

i feel like "THERE'S AN ACTUAL CHILD HERE" would cover all these bases

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how voice detection actually works

"is there a way to make the map bigger"
*banned word 'friend of the family' detected*
"uh what the gently caress?"
*banned word 'cuck' detected, your account is now locked*

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't team up in solo however teaming up in solo is fine and good. Humans do that. WE ALL DIE ALONE.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't know why I've been going for military base/powerplant/etc when Pochinki has a shitload of loot and is almost exactly centered on the island.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I don't know why I've been going for military base/powerplant/etc when Pochinki has a shitload of loot and is almost exactly centered on the island.

Everyone drops on Pochinki though. Yasmaya still has the "oh it's lag city dont go there" so only a few groups drop there, but Pochinki and to a lesser extent Rozhok get hit pretty hard

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

PantsBandit posted:

Pochinki is the thunderdome.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Pochinki is great, if you like fighting with shotguns and uzis and like dying early.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Everyone drops on Pochinki though. Yasmaya still has the "oh it's lag city dont go there" so only a few groups drop there, but Pochinki and to a lesser extent Rozhok get hit pretty hard

Agreed 100%. It's almost always school or Yasnaya for me. School is contested 9 times out of 10 whereas there have been times that I've been able to loot all of Yasnaya by myself.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
School is the best because its live fast and die young.

https://streamable.com/yox6d

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NickBlasta posted:

Pochinki is the thunderdome.

I would much rather have some hot n heavy action with some great gear (if I can get a kill or two) followed by a short trip to the circle than what is probably almost as hard a fight with a much longer run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping a pump shotgun on me at all times for interior fights from now on.

• Locked thread