Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I want to like it, but it feels more like the Marvel Cinematic Universe than Stephen King.

That said, had the MCU been around when SK was writing the books, we might've had Hulks instead of sneeches, so maybe it's not too far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

To be fair, the MCU has been generally excellent.

Now had you said it looked or felt like the DC movies, that'd be another story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Does Roland not ever actually wear a cowboy hat in the books? I thought he did.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Basebf555 posted:

Does Roland not ever actually wear a cowboy hat in the books? I thought he did.

It's been a while since I read the books, but I'm pretty sure he does.

Also I tried to do a quick look at the Kindle version of the first book to see if it's mentioned and all you can see is the damned introduction, haha.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Wow, that looked awful. :stoked:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Yeah, I didn't really get warm fuzzies from the trailer.

On the plus side, there were shout-outs to the Overlook Hotel and Pennywise in the trailer.

What's the shoutout to Pennywise?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

RCarr posted:

What's the shoutout to Pennywise?

Yeah, I caught the Overlook, but I've watched a few times looking for Pennywise and haven't seen anything. Also this comes out the Friday before my birthday, so, hooray!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
90 seconds in. Looks like a ruined carnival ride with a PENNYWISE sign and a statue hand holding balloons.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wasn't super impressed, but I'm going to stay optimistic. They laid the exposition on pretty thick, but maybe they had to. It's an odd mythos. Also lots of OMG SO BADASS shooty stuff, but that sells tickets.

I'm not as hyped as I am for It.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

April posted:

I want to like it, but it feels more like the Marvel Cinematic Universe than Stephen King.

That said, had the MCU been around when SK was writing the books, we might've had Hulks instead of sneeches, so maybe it's not too far off.

I mean, that's exactly what they're going for. That said, it doesn't look like a MCU movie*, in that it has strong art direction, a vibrant color palette, interesting cinematography, and that's just in the trailer.

(*Excluding Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2 and Doctor Strange, which are the exceptions.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Roland is at least using six shooters

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I kinda liked it. Just dont redo the ending of the books for sure.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That looked like the kind of movie that will best be reviewed with a shrug of the shoulders and saying it was alright

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I’m probably in the minority, but Roland’s magical bullet-juggling gun-fu looked basically the way that I imagined it when I read The Gunslinger. And I'm disappointed that, although there were some shots of deserts, there didn't seem to be an apotheosis of all deserts anywhere in that trailer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be Harry Potter: the first two movies being okay/liked enough, the third will be best, and then the rest of the series will imitate the third, all while producers stretch them into as many movies as possible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I was kinda hoping for a one off movie to close it all out, they already have a tv show going apparently

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Blastedhellscape posted:

I’m probably in the minority, but Roland’s magical bullet-juggling gun-fu looked basically the way that I imagined it when I read The Gunslinger. And I'm disappointed that, although there were some shots of deserts, there didn't seem to be an apotheosis of all deserts anywhere in that trailer.

It looked really corny to me. I always just imagined him having incredibly fast hands, not literally throwing clips into the air, and swinging his guns around to catch them.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Gun nerd post: I always pictured them as basically being oversized Blackhawks/Colt SAA's which have cylinders that don't roll out. I liked the shot of him doing a fast reload into the cylinder, but swinging them around and catching them looks really awful.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its a bit OTT sure.

I do like EWs coverage on pretty boy MIB though

quote:

The Gunslinger loathes Walter, blaming him for the loss of everything he has ever known or cared about, but McConaughey says The Man in Black doesn’t return the hard feelings.

“I revere him,” the actor says. “He’s really the only true adversary I have. I expose hypocrisies, and he’s the closest to pure there is. It’s his persistent, resilience to be good and altruistic. He’s very precious to me. I almost don’t want to see him go.”

Roland is helping this immortal keep pace. Using dark, crystal orbs in The Dark Tower tales that serve as windows between different times and places, Walter even finds himself communicating with his frenemy.

“So many times I’m just pumping him up, through sorcery, almost like the man in the corner of the ring for a boxer,” McConaughey says, breaking into a whisper: “’Come on … you can do this … stay in the game,’ because I want to keep him, I want to keep his vengeance to find me. I want to keep that very vital, you know? My want, my need, my mission is to bring down the Tower. My love, my adoration, my muse, my shadow, is Roland.”

http://ew.com/article/2016/07/14/dark-tower-matthew-mcconaughey-the-man-in-black/

he has the feel i think.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Oh my Lordy if this is how dogshit they're going from the good Dark Tower books imagine how retarded it's gonna be when they're working off of psychic HONGRY fictive headmates, 19 chassits commala, Ol' Man Sneetches and loving alien laughter spiders.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So I only read the first half of the first book but I remember the gunslinger murdering a town of people clutching crosses including an innocent woman who being held as a hostage and the kid being sent to the other world after being killed by a car

This seems... different from what I remember

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I only read the first half of the first book but I remember the gunslinger murdering a town of people clutching crosses including an innocent woman who being held as a hostage and the kid being sent to the other world after being killed by a car

apparently, its the next cycle after the series proper.

i really dont know how i feel about that, or the sparkle guns.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

90 seconds in. Looks like a ruined carnival ride with a PENNYWISE sign and a statue hand holding balloons.

Nice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never read the Dark Tower books and never really had any interest. I have to say that the trailer doesn't make me want to change my mind. That whole thing looked ridiculous. Like a make believe game that 9 year old kids would play outside and make up as they go along.

I guess I've always preferred King when he's at least partially grounded and the supernatural/monster/dimension travel stuff is there only to show how it effects regular people leading regular lives. It's hard to explain but I think it has something to do with identification and suspension of disbelief.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well they announced a new Firestarter film, so maybe that will be good

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BiggerBoat posted:

I never read the Dark Tower books and never really had any interest. I have to say that the trailer doesn't make me want to change my mind. That whole thing looked ridiculous. Like a make believe game that 9 year old kids would play outside and make up as they go along.

I guess I've always preferred King when he's at least partially grounded and the supernatural/monster/dimension travel stuff is there only to show how it effects regular people leading regular lives. It's hard to explain but I think it has something to do with identification and suspension of disbelief.

Well, he did start writing it when he was a teenager

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I read the first few Dark Tower books when I was like 14 years old, and I'd never really encountered multiverses and meta-hero stuff before - so the platonic ideal of this series (well, the first few books) will always be untouchably "14 year old Mega Rad" in my head. They're going to have to compromise on a lot of that stuff to make a marketable (or even watchable) summer movie. I just hope it captures some of that sense of a wider universe (within universes) and mid-world world building, without getting TOO schlocky.

Like, please do the Roland coming of age arthurian callout of Cort in a cool way, please.

I don't know. I feel like I'm bound to be disappointed. I just hope they take some risks and make it interesting, as well as actiony fun.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Soul Glo posted:

Well, he did start writing it when he was a teenager

That's part of why I like book one so much on its own - it's very clearly some really talented and creative college kid's weird fantasy one-off. Like King had obviously just read some Arthurian legend stuff, watched a bunch of Clint Eastwood westerns and read some basic philosophy for the first time ever. It all just works and the next few books don't go off the rails (mad riddle trains aside lol) too far.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

deoju posted:

I wasn't super impressed, but I'm going to stay optimistic. They laid the exposition on pretty thick, but maybe they had to. It's an odd mythos. Also lots of OMG SO BADASS shooty stuff, but that sells tickets.

I'm not as hyped as I am for It.

When I read about the trailer this was pretty much how I felt about the description. After actually watching it, I'll revise to say that I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie, but still more excited for It.

The movie definitely seems a little more actiony than I would have liked. Roland always seemed more like a dirty fighter than a magical dude that takes on hordes of gun wielding goons. I guess you could say that the whole Eddie shoot out with Balazar was a straight up fight, but even that was more of an ambush than a duel. Except for the later Eddie shoot out at the gas station, there really wasn't much of a shoot out with a bunch of goons kind of situation, and even then Roland got out by being devious.

So, basically, I don't really know what to think about the more actiony scenes, but am cautiously optimistic. Idris, as I expected, makes an absolutely boss Roland.

Blastedhellscape posted:

I’m probably in the minority, but Roland’s magical bullet-juggling gun-fu looked basically the way that I imagined it when I read The Gunslinger.

I don't know about that. I guess there was never a real detailed description of his shooting, but to me he always seemed to be more of a special ops soldier instead of an X-man. He trained and trained and trained until everything basically became muscle memory.

I always pictured his guns as not having roll-out cylinders. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are multiple mentions of him burning the pads of his fingers while reloading.

Oh well, I'm still excited to see how it comes out!

*edit*

Admiral Bosch posted:

Gun nerd post: I always pictured them as basically being oversized Blackhawks/Colt SAA's which have cylinders that don't roll out. I liked the shot of him doing a fast reload into the cylinder, but swinging them around and catching them looks really awful.

This is exactly how I feel.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 4, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Was The Overlook just that old dilapidated building in the mountains?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rolo posted:

Was The Overlook just that old dilapidated building in the mountains?
It was in the picture on the therapists desk.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They weren't clutching crosses, they were trying to murder him in a religious fervor. The innocent woman was there in the original, in the revision she begged to be killed. Roland never killed Jake in the book, but he didn't save him either.

BiggerBoat posted:

I never read the Dark Tower books and never really had any interest.

I'm currently rereading The Drawing of the Three for the first time in 20+ years and loving it; the first four books are excellent (and the first is a real departure from King's normal style), but stop there.

Really what this trailer makes me hungry for is a proper The Stand trilogy/miniseries with McConaughey-Flagg

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I wonder if the gun-fu aspect of the reload is because the cinematic version of what he does in the books wouldn't be much more that something done by, say, Jason Bourne and his ilk, so they had to pump it up to 11 to get the point across.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

The Gunslinger was the first King novel that I ever read, and for some weird reason it’s still my favorite. Maybe that’s just my being big fantasy fan showing though. There was just something really magical and unique about a dark fantasy, post-apocalyptic, western story where the characters walk between multiple worlds on a big, dream-world-exploring quest.

As a concept, the Dark Tower novels are really interesting and evocative. You’ve got this sort of Lovecraftian Dreamlands thing going on, a fantasy/western mashup, and this epic sense of a spiritual journey for a growing cast of characters, traveling the wastelands.

In practice…I lost interest somewhere around the fourth book and just never read the rest. Also, it didn’t help that the second book was kind of plodding and had a lot of meh moments. For some reason the Drawing of the Three just felt like a big letdown after the furious rush of The Gunslinger, although The Wastelands is totally awesome and makes up for it.

But just as a standalone book, I'll always love The Gunslinger (I think it was the revised version that I read, which might also put me in the minority. I'm not sure though.)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

navyjack posted:

I wonder if the gun-fu aspect of the reload is because the cinematic version of what he does in the books wouldn't be much more that something done by, say, Jason Bourne and his ilk, so they had to pump it up to 11 to get the point across.

Watching again, he does more what I imagined from the book at 1:02 and again at 2:02.

Also, watching again, I loving hate Jake and hope he dies like in the book.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

navyjack posted:

Watching again, he does more what I imagined from the book at 1:02 and again at 2:02.

Also, watching again, I loving hate Jake and hope he dies like in the book.

Multiple times?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Multiple times?

As often as it takes.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Franchescanado posted:

Well they announced a new Firestarter film, so maybe that will be good

The best thing about the original film was the soundtrack so there's only room for improvement in a remake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

navyjack posted:

It also makes some sense with that bit from McConahey in the EW interview someone posted, where Walter is pumping roland up with magic to keep him in the game when someone else is going to take him out. Kind of like the opposite of when he made his gun catch on his belt in book 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Good:
  • Elba as Roland
  • McDreamy as The Man in Black
  • The art design, in general
Bad:
  • Heavyhanded with the exposition/world-building
  • Jake, in general
To be fair, the latter was a problem with the book too, so :v:

Most of the flashier touches I'm willing to forgive as part of the transition to film. I wouldn't say I'm confident in the quality in the movie (and even less so in the quality of the franchise as a whole), but it looks like we're getting a pair of solid central performances strung together with fanservice. There are worse fates. And if it follows the HP pattern we get at least one really good movie based one of the really good books, which is nice.

Edit: compared to It, which looks like a no-qualifiers good horror movie even if it is only half the book

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 4, 2017