Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Probably had it in the pipeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

oohhboy posted:

They didn't get defunded?

Not yet. A few dems and repubs have been working to get them back in the budget.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

oohhboy posted:

They didn't get defunded?
Unless there's a shutdown and until congress passes a budget and doesn't keep rubber stamping the last one, they are funded. Congress still has the option of passing a budget that keeps them funded, the presidential budget is a request to Congress and not binding law.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

spankmeister posted:

Probably had it in the pipeline

Dad?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
At least in that one they evacuated everyone instead of standing around!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Martian Manfucker posted:

At least in that one they evacuated everyone instead of standing around!

Such a good thing. A lot of managers are probably otherwise keeping jobs for saving lives, that wouldn't.

Any particular reason that the pipe between the reactor and the main distillation column doesn't have an emergency stop valve of some kind?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

5er posted:

Such a good thing. A lot of managers are probably otherwise keeping jobs for saving lives, that wouldn't.

Any particular reason that the pipe between the reactor and the main distillation column doesn't have an emergency stop valve of some kind?
Probably to do with relief system design. If you have something like an estop valve and its not otherwise safety certified to a certain level, you usually need to treat it as loving up when you'd rather it didn't. Add in catalyst carryover and a valve can become a liability to plug with safety and production impacts.

A cracker is a monster of a unit because you are taking gas molecules and turning them into extra gas molecules which is a nightmare when it comes to pressure safety. To that end, a cracker reactor and it's column I think are treated as the same operational unit because the column has a lot more options to handle a pressure runaway than a stand alone reactor will have. To that end, the column shouldn't have had poo poo leaking into it when the system got idled. It seems they figured that and that's what the steam blanket is for. And also why you don't want to rubber stamp safety variances to update them.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I live about 3 blocks from this place, and have an uncle that works there. Every few months somethings blowing up or theres a leak they dont tell the public about. It has massive air raid sirens that they test monthly but Ive never actually heard them go off when something happens.

Added bonus its completely surrounded by residential areas

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 3, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Dutch Safety Board has got you fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJevke4_i5Y

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

zedprime posted:

A cracker is a monster of a unit because you are taking gas molecules and turning them into extra gas molecules which is a nightmare when it comes to pressure safety. To that end, a cracker reactor and it's column I think are treated as the same operational unit because the column has a lot more options to handle a pressure runaway than a stand alone reactor will have. To that end, the column shouldn't have had poo poo leaking into it when the system got idled. It seems they figured that and that's what the steam blanket is for. And also why you don't want to rubber stamp safety variances to update them.
I worked for two summers in an oil refinery in the 90s. There was a 100 meter tall temperature catalytic cracking tower right next to the decommissioned control room building which served as the break room for the handful of process guys like me. Most of the time we had nothing to do since everything was ran from the modernized control room elsewhere. We just listened to the radios and the one call that caused everyone to scramble all over the place was "the Tower is crashing!" That meant that something had gone wrong in the cracking tower and the relay logic control system was doing an emergency shutdown. This was a regular occurrence, but I guess the system worked correctly since it never blew up.

There was some other OSHA stuff, though. One day the vending machine had stopped cooling anything. I had bought the Coke from the machine before I knew that and now I had a problem. Then I remembered the flexible gas lines for taking samples of the lighter hydrocarbons for the lab to analyze. Solution: spray the Coke bottle with liquified hydrocarbons until cold. Any ignition sources in the process area are strictly banned so spraying flammable propane-butane mix around was not a problem.

One other time the gas flare of the refinery had gone out. This surprised me since it was literally known as the "eternal flame". Normally the flare has a pilot light and every safety valve in the plant is routed to it, since you can't just vent those around the valve. Now since the flame was out, any abnormal situation would cause stuff to be ejected from the top of the flare tower without igniting.

So, the older guys showed me how to light the flare. You go to a shack at the base of the flare tower and find the ignition pipe going to the top of the tower. Then you open oxygen and propane valves to put a explosive mixture to the pipe. There are no meters or anything, you just eyeball it. Then you hook up a hand-cranked generator in a wooden box (I would not have been surprised at all if this had been repurposed from a Gestapo interrogation room) to a car spark plug screwed to the ignition pipe and crank the generator like hell. If you did everything right, the pipe shoots a flame to the top of the tower and reignites the pilot flame.

(They also told me that one of the employees there had been an olympic-level archer and they had previously ignited the flame with a flaming arrow, but suspect that was a tall tale...)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Or some refineries loving up again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcAFkMX8XJM

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/NFyz4ew.gifv

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Gotta say I'm impressed by both the driver and the strength of the culvert pipe. drat.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those culvert pipes are designed to have heavy equipment driving over them, under a few feet of sand of course, but still.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
they don't show the dismount though

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

they don't show the dismount though

It's off that ramp in the background, isn't it? :cool:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

stephen hawking's voicebox sounds good these days, did he get an upgrade?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Should circuses replace lions with bobcats?
https://gifsound.com/?gifv=NFyz4ew&v=1D5Sa2Yq-2g

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

PostNouveau posted:

Do you get workman's comp if you injure yourself by being a dipshit?

My coworker got work comp for his 5th metatarsal base fracture he got from standing up out of a chair at work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lurking Haro posted:

Should circuses replace lions with bobcats?
https://gifsound.com/?gifv=NFyz4ew&v=1D5Sa2Yq-2g

Personally speaking: yes, yes they should.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Russia.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Those guys gently caress up fairly regularly. There's a few "Ooops yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaSPLAT" compilations on youtube.

The_end
May 17, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those guys gently caress up fairly regularly. There's a few "Ooops yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaSPLAT" compilations on youtube.

Post a link.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Olothreutes posted:

In non-lab settings you are pretty unlikely to need to worry about gamma detection. I mentioned the lab because I actually have the authority to throw someone out, not because that setting in particular is super relevant. We have a number of detectors so we wouldn't need a cell phone to do it.

Everyday life is both filed with radiation and also absent virtually any worrying levels of it. If you find yourself in a situation where you want a detector for anything beyond passing curiosity you should probably have an actual detector. I can see the merit in using something like this as a "should I get the gently caress out of here? Y/N" indicator. Anything beyond that and I would question the results a lot. I guess I can download one and check it against one of our detectors as a neat experiment. If I find something out I'll report back.

As to the medical stuff, if there was any risk or meaningful exposure to the public I would be amazed if they sent him home. Instructions to stay a meter away from people are mostly precautionary, but I'm also not in health physics so maybe they can release people? Personally I would consider anyone I was sending home as an external source and if they were going to exceed the standards for public exposure I wouldn't release them. Also that would be a hell of a treatment.
An old post, but I figured I could provide some crude OSHA insight into radionuclide therapy. The regulations regarding release of radioactive patients comes from the NRC. Patients can be released if the total exposure to another person would not be above 5mSv. This is calculated with a fancy equation with lookup tables and such. However a hospital is allowed to pencil in their own variables as long as they show their work, within reason. NRC would most likely not care if the physicist were to take liberties with dose estimations as long as they weren't insane. It really sucks to have to keep a patient in the hospital for a nuke therapy. Gotta have them in their own room with everything [EVERYTHING] wrapped in plastic, instruct the nurses who proceed to not listen and contaminate themselves, and monitor visitation. Then when they can finally leave you need to pack up all the poo poo that ever entered the room and store it in long term storage for 10 half lives, which can be years. Followed by doing wipes and surveys of the room. If you didn't take the everything in plastic seriously and you have contamination, enjoy having a room that can't be used until it decays or is decontaminated. I-131 is pretty much the only therapy people will ever encounter outside of crazy research stuff. It is excreted in pee, poop, saliva, and sweat. Also breastmilk. Breastfeeding is cancelled for the rest of the child if you are currently doing so.

A patient having radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroid typically gets 20-50mCi and will likely not be kept in the hospital. Thyroid ablation patients for cancer will get 100-300mCi and should definitely be kept in the hospital. About 33mCi is the limit before hospitalization is required, which makes it the point where you get the equation being fudged so they can boot you. Or in a more heinous scenario the radiologist will only give a therapy up to 33mCi which could result in undertreatment because the hospital doesn't want to deal with your huge cost of staying a day.

It's been a long time since I've given someone a therapeutic dose.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Youtube allows that, but not boobs?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Youtube allows that, but not boobs?

:911:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

https://youtu.be/8QSpDfGHmtw

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How to make a bad YouTube video

1) point the camera at your stupid ugly smug poo poo-eating face and stupidly explain like a mouth breather what your video is about.

2) post it to YouTube.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Asproigerosis posted:

So you gave out recreational doses? Sign me up

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Asproigerosis posted:

An old post, but I figured I could provide some crude OSHA insight into radionuclide therapy. The regulations regarding release of radioactive patients comes from the NRC. Patients can be released if the total exposure to another person would not be above 5mSv. This is calculated with a fancy equation with lookup tables and such. However a hospital is allowed to pencil in their own variables as long as they show their work, within reason. NRC would most likely not care if the physicist were to take liberties with dose estimations as long as they weren't insane. It really sucks to have to keep a patient in the hospital for a nuke therapy. Gotta have them in their own room with everything [EVERYTHING] wrapped in plastic, instruct the nurses who proceed to not listen and contaminate themselves, and monitor visitation. Then when they can finally leave you need to pack up all the poo poo that ever entered the room and store it in long term storage for 10 half lives, which can be years. Followed by doing wipes and surveys of the room. If you didn't take the everything in plastic seriously and you have contamination, enjoy having a room that can't be used until it decays or is decontaminated. I-131 is pretty much the only therapy people will ever encounter outside of crazy research stuff. It is excreted in pee, poop, saliva, and sweat. Also breastmilk. Breastfeeding is cancelled for the rest of the child if you are currently doing so.

A patient having radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroid typically gets 20-50mCi and will likely not be kept in the hospital. Thyroid ablation patients for cancer will get 100-300mCi and should definitely be kept in the hospital. About 33mCi is the limit before hospitalization is required, which makes it the point where you get the equation being fudged so they can boot you. Or in a more heinous scenario the radiologist will only give a therapy up to 33mCi which could result in undertreatment because the hospital doesn't want to deal with your huge cost of staying a day.

A few years ago my ex had to go to the hospitial and was injected with some kind of radioactive dye. I a a dork and have a small giger counter, and a few samples of uranium ore and it makes all kinds of happy clicks, pretty neat. When she got home I tested it out on her and holy poo poo! That stuff was hot! She was setting it to max level and it was beeping instead of clicking (its default oh poo poo over load mode) and this was from eight feet away on the other side of a cinder block wall! Needless to say I slept on the couch She was not active after a day or so.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
OSHA: 0 Days since last goon bragged about his hot wife.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

http://i.imgur.com/9nrmMcI.gifv

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nope

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I absolutely loving hate those perilous tall building vids. I hate them right to hell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I absolutely loving hate those perilous tall building vids. I hate them right to hell.

I wouldn't worry, they're almost entirely russian so it's not like you're gonna get brained by a hoverboard or a meatbag.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Asproigerosis posted:

I've gotten a therapeutic dose the same year I was receiving a vocational dose, and I swear it would have been easier to walk out of Fuel Handling with a backpack full of uranium oxide pellets than to find someone in the entire country of Sweden who could whole-heartedly say how the two doses affected each other.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

I wouldn't worry, they're almost entirely russian so it's not like you're gonna get brained by a hoverboard or a meatbag.

That one looks like it's in Dubai though.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ruddiger posted:

How to make a bad YouTube video

1) point the camera at your stupid ugly smug poo poo-eating face and stupidly explain like a mouth breather what your video is about.

2) post it to YouTube.
How to make a good YouTube video:

1) same

2) die

3) same as your 2

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Groda posted:

I've gotten a therapeutic dose the same year I was receiving a vocational dose, and I swear it would have been easier to walk out of Fuel Handling with a backpack full of uranium oxide pellets than to find someone in the entire country of Sweden who could whole-heartedly say how the two doses affected each other.

Don't the monitors go off if you get measured leaving the reactor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Groda posted:

You add them to your cumulative dose :confused: