Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

There's actually a semi-plausible theory that the Sea Peoples of the Late Bronze Age Collapse were Israelites just recently Exodus''d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

????
unless i'm misremembering that video, cline addresses that theory specifically to shoot it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guavanaut posted:

It used to be May Day in the UK, but is now officially called 'Early May Bank Holiday' along with such inspiring national holidays as Spring Bank Holiday and Late Summer Bank Holiday, because successive governments seem to have a pathological aversion to assigning symbolism to things.

I look forward to December 25 becoming Mid Winter Bank Holiday for the same reason and everybody blaming Muslims.

They're called "bank holidays" because the British vision for society is one where banks are the only possible source of employment, right?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

America's greatest export is itself. Checks out. :patriot:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
America is a cold black vacuum, sucking things in and only seeking to create more of itself.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shouldn't cuba be "cubans"?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'm new zealand puerto rico

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tweezer Reprise posted:

There's actually a semi-plausible theory that the Sea Peoples of the Late Bronze Age Collapse were Israelites just recently Exodus''d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

As far as I can remember much about the Sea Peoples point to them likely being an Aegean people of some sort. Also that the Phillistines likely originated as one of the Sea Peoples.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It used to be May Day in the UK, but is now officially called 'Early May Bank Holiday' along with such inspiring national holidays as Spring Bank Holiday and Late Summer Bank Holiday, because successive governments seem to have a pathological aversion to assigning symbolism to things.

I look forward to December 25 becoming Mid Winter Bank Holiday for the same reason and everybody blaming Muslims.

Only the ones with scales.

I know "Spring Bank Holiday" used to be Whitsun but did "Late Summer Bank Holiday" ever have meaning?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AriadneThread posted:

????
unless i'm misremembering that video, cline addresses that theory specifically to shoot it down

Yea it wouldn't make sense anyway. Why would they be coming back into Egypt to attack in that time period? They are stated as leaving as a fairly weak people after all, and they would totally have talked up any successful anti-egypt raids.

We also know that the Hebrew peoples traced themselves back to various civilizations along the Euphrates in Mesopotamia, rather than any direction out at sea, and never had a great sea power at any time. For sea stuff they usually relied on Phoenician or Phillistine ships and crew. So they wouldn't be the Sea Peoples who harassed other areas besides Egypt.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Randarkman posted:

As far as I can remember much about the Sea Peoples point to them likely being an Aegean people of some sort. Also that the Phillistines likely originated as one of the Sea Peoples.

I've heard so many different explanations for who the sea peoples were that these days I just shrug and say "yeah, maybe." The problem with historical mysteries is that people can't help trying to solve them no matter how little we have to work with.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Probably Native Americans who sailed across the Atlantic.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

How much more politically loaded would this map be if they included cocaine?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

They're called "bank holidays" because the British vision for society is one where banks are the only possible source of employment, right?

People who work at banks are surprisingly lazy and on top of the ten public holidays in Belgium there are a number of additional days where the banks are closed because they feel like it.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

AriadneThread posted:

????

maybe i shoulda said "discredited" but yeah, cline doesn't agree with its premises but i don't know enough and another historian seems to propagate it so i didn't want to be that sharp

Jippa posted:

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie...

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 2, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baron Corbyn posted:

I know "Spring Bank Holiday" used to be Whitsun but did "Late Summer Bank Holiday" ever have meaning?
Apparently it was specified in 1971 to replace the first Monday in August, but no name was ever specified. It is statutory holiday № 3 as per Schedule 1 §1 of the Banking and Financial Dealings Act. Inspirational stuff.

The previous public holiday was called 'August Bank Holiday'. :effort:

They could have picked a random surrounding saint, or gone the South African route and attached positive sounding words that are generally uncontroversial like Heritage Day or Youth Day (or Human Rights Day to piss off the tabloids).

Of course, it is the day after a popular movable observance in many former Soviet countries, so I'd propose Coal Miner's Day. :getin:

Jippa posted:

'Crude Petroleum'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

'Crude Petroleum'

Isn’t that gasoline, a type of refined petroleum?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's crude when you dump a ton of coca leaves and lime in it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Countries where May 1st is an official day off.

Dark green: official holiday: Labour Day
Light green: official holiday, something else than Labour Day
Light orange: Not an official holiday, but Labour Day is celebrated on another date.
Dark orange: Not an official holiday, no Labour Day.
I'm surprised by Mongolia. Didn't the Communists (social democrats now, apparently) manage to retain power there after democratization? I would've thought they'd love to have May Day/Labor Day celebrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm surprised by Mongolia. Didn't the Communists (social democrats now, apparently) manage to retain power there after democratization? I would've thought they'd love to have May Day/Labor Day celebrations.

Dunno mate but looking at Wikipedia I can see these are a festive people

Health Day (April 7)
Intellectual Property Day (April 26)
Family Day (May 15)
Mongolia Fried Rice Day (May 22)
Political Flag Day (July 10)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Phlegmish posted:

People who work at banks are surprisingly lazy and on top of the ten public holidays in Belgium there are a number of additional days where the banks are closed because they feel like it.

I think part of it is that in the days before computerized accounting, you needed a day without money being moved every month or so in order to reconcile and audit the books.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ras Het posted:

:rms2: TRIGGERED

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Ras Het posted:

Tax Rates Day
Mowing The Lawn Day
Stuck in Traffic Day

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Don't Copy That Floppy Day

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Home Taping Is Killing Music Day
You Wouldn't Download A Calendar Day

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ofaloaf posted:

If the communists are running things then isn't every day Labor Day?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Peanut President posted:

If the communists are running things then isn't every day Labor Day?

That or no day, since few communist states have allowed people to freely organize into workers' associations, only allowing state mandated and operated ones and severly curtailing the ability of those to actually bargain on behalf of their members (for example by pretty much outlawing strikes).

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

🤔🤔🤔

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
That image is an inside job. Not a single spelling mistake

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what exactly has made Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas, the north east states and the San Joaquin/Sacramento valley so comparatively diligent in reporting this.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Zudgemud posted:

I wonder what exactly has made Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas, the north east states and the San Joaquin/Sacramento valley so comparatively diligent in reporting this.

Agriculture/animal husbandry? Anywhere it can enter the food chain?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

From an economic history twitter poster

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
What year is that from?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No idea

https://mobile.twitter.com/pseudoerasmus/status/858025226449428480

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Just going to leave this here since it seems politically loaded enough, I'm quite disappointed that so many countries haven't implemented bans for these kind of products yet. This map is from 2014 however so hopefully more countries are on board today.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Main crop: Fallow land??

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Buller posted:

Main crop: Fallow land??

Technically they grow Gallic ennui in those zones.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kamrat posted:

Just going to leave this here since it seems politically loaded enough, I'm quite disappointed that so many countries haven't implemented bans for these kind of products yet. This map is from 2014 however so hopefully more countries are on board today.
Wait, does red mean that cruelty is not only allowed but actually required for some cosmetics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Poil posted:

Wait, does red mean that cruelty is not only allowed but actually required for some cosmetics?

Yes. In China animal testing is mandatory for many products.