Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

There was a short story posted here I'm trying to track down, but I can't remember the name.

It starts out as a generic sci-fi space marine ooh-rah romp where Earth is fighting these unknowable lizard aliens. The main character, as he rises through the ranks gets more and more "disassembled". At one point he's just a head piloting a ship (he'll get his body back when the war is over), then just a brain in a jar. The further he moves up the ranks the more the war gets extrapolated further and further to the point where the real war is against these vast intelligences manipulating thousands of species. The main character is now in charge of vast armies, including lizard aliens, fighting a race called humanity.

I seem to recall a title like "Only War" or "War!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I remember when that story was first shared in this topic, pretty cool story. One passage I really liked was about how they were eventually fighting the war on a purely theoretical level or something along those lines

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

coffeetable posted:

If anyone's looking for some new steampunk, Senlin Ascends is a quiet gem. Especially for a $3 self-published first novel. I sample these kinds of books compulsively and they're usually crap, but it's absolutely worth it for the rare one like this.

My only quibble is that the main character spends much of the first book being completely loving useless, which annoys me despite it being part and parcel of his arc.
This post is from like a week ago, but I just finished reading this book and it was great and I'm gonna pick up the sequel, so thanks to you and whoever the other goon was that recommended it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Snuffman posted:

There was a short story posted here I'm trying to track down, but I can't remember the name.

It starts out as a generic sci-fi space marine ooh-rah romp where Earth is fighting these unknowable lizard aliens. The main character, as he rises through the ranks gets more and more "disassembled". At one point he's just a head piloting a ship (he'll get his body back when the war is over), then just a brain in a jar. The further he moves up the ranks the more the war gets extrapolated further and further to the point where the real war is against these vast intelligences manipulating thousands of species. The main character is now in charge of vast armies, including lizard aliens, fighting a race called humanity.

That sounds really rad.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

IMO, of the books on your list I've read, best to worst:

---Absolute classics--
Neuromancer

---Really good---
Aurora
Childhood's End

---Meh---
Snow Crash
Handmaids Tale
Perdido Street Station
American Gods
Wizard of Earthsea

---Outright awful books---
Dune
Foundation

Foundation in particular is absolute trash and it baffles me why it's still considered a classic of the genre. It's literally nothing but a bunch of pompous old men lecturing each other. All of the Big Three authors are deeply overrated and reading them on a sci-fi tasting tour is like eating the soil the grapes grew out of on a wine tasting tour.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

freebooter posted:

Foundation in particular is absolute trash and it baffles me why it's still considered a classic of the genre. It's literally nothing but a bunch of pompous old men lecturing each other. All of the Big Three authors are deeply overrated and reading them on a sci-fi tasting tour is like eating the soil the grapes grew out of on a wine tasting tour.

While stating that I disagree with you about it being bad, I do want to jokingly point out that hey! It's absolutely emblematic of the sci-fi genre - one that's been dominated by pompous old men in STEM fields who lecture each other. Why not give him a showcase of that? :v:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If I seek my fortunes on the goldfields and ask a local where the gold is to be found, I don't want them to instead give me the "true goldfields experience" by shoving my face into the mud

edit - I just went over my old review to remember why I disliked it so much, and was reminded of something Asimov had in common with Heinlein: they both have a habit of writing scenes in which Smart Men Are Right and Foolish People (Women) Are Wrong. All of their protagonists are exceptionally wise Mary Sues, without an iota of self-doubt or self-questioning. That strikes me as a particularly unscientific attitude.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 4, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

freebooter posted:

If I seek my fortunes on the goldfields and ask a local where the gold is to be found, I don't want them to instead give me the "true goldfields experience" by shoving my face into the mud

Haha, fair enough.

I personally think Foundation is worth reading - if the style clicks, Asimov wrote a zillion of the things. He also wrote stuff that influenced the genre to an obscene amount, and wrote quite clever ideas. So even if the reader bounces off, it's still one of those works where you just gotta try it at least once. Like 1984 in the Dystopian genre, or Catch-22 --- or to use another one on the list, Neuromancer! That reads more like pulp than an actually good book (I say this as someone who likes it) but it's again so influential that he could honestly read it and leave Snow Crash behind.

As for 100% guaranteed quality, he's got Cyteen on his list he's set. :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Reading Bester after Asimov reminded me that I was supposed to enjoy books, and that science fiction was supposed to be interesting.

One should still read some Asimov though, if one is trying to understand the genre. He looms inordinately large.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Like 1984 in the Dystopian genre, or Catch-22 --- or to use another one on the list, Neuromancer! That reads more like pulp than an actually good book (I say this as someone who likes it) but it's again so influential that he could honestly read it and leave Snow Crash behind.

I'm not trying to rag on a book you like - to each their own - but Gibson is simply an objectively better writer than Asimov in terms of plot, characterisation, prose style, everything.

Asimov was a classic example of early science fiction writers who put their idea first and their story second, if at all, which always made me wonder why they didn't just write a journal article and be done with it. (Though I should clarify Foundation is the only book of his I've read.) Nowadays it seems more common that a lot of sci-fi authors put their whiz-bang blow-up-spaceships plot first and their characters and style second, if at all. Does any major author apart from KSR actually write hard sci-fi anymore? And even KSR is leagues ahad of the hard sci-fi authors of the 50s and 60s.

edit - another point about the objective quality of SFF writing is to say that there's a reason, in my opinion, that certain authors like Gibson, Dick, Le Guin, Pratchett, Susannah Clarke, Lev Grossman and even (to an extent) GRR Martin have become accepted and respected by the literary mainstream, while others have not - and it has nothing to do with snobbery. Although that debate is a whole different can of worms I guess.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 4, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

freebooter posted:

I'm not trying to rag on a book you like - to each their own - but Gibson is simply an objectively better writer than Asimov in terms of plot, characterisation, prose style, everything.

Asimov was a classic example of early science fiction writers who put their idea first and their story second, if at all, which always made me wonder why they didn't just write a journal article and be done with it. (Though I should clarify Foundation is the only book of his I've read.) Nowadays it seems more common that a lot of sci-fi authors put their whiz-bang blow-up-spaceships plot first and their characters and style second, if at all. Does any major author apart from KSR actually write hard sci-fi anymore? And even KSR is leagues ahad of the hard sci-fi authors of the 50s and 60s.

edit - another point about the objective quality of SFF writing is to say that there's a reason, in my opinion, that certain authors like Gibson, Dick, Le Guin, Pratchett, Susannah Clarke, Lev Grossman and even (to an extent) GRR Martin have become accepted and respected by the literary mainstream, while others have not - and it has nothing to do with snobbery. Although that debate is a whole different can of worms I guess.

Foundation is like the first sci-fi book (well collection of short stories) Asimov wrote like a decade before they were collected and published in the 50's and a few years before the Robot series was published. While not perfect he does improve on the "smart guys talking" and adds a little more characterization in his books and even and while not perfect he does flesh out some female characters who have their own agency.

The First Foundation book is essentially everything according to Hari Seldon going right, the later books explore how Pyschohistory can and does fail. He does fundamentally remain an idea's first author however I don't necessarily see that as a terrible thing and the books he wrote aren't terribly difficult I remember burning through the Foundation Trilogy + Sequels in a week or two in High School.

In regards to Hard Sci-Fi Alistair Reynolds gets lumped in to that category too even if he generally goes more fantastic and speculative with his stuff than KSR. Chasm City is probably my top five personal favorite Sci-Fi books of all time.

Finally back to Phillip K Dick,

Read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep if you like Bladerunner
Read Man in the High Castle if you like Alt-History/ Watched the TV Show
Read A Scanner Darkly if you like doing drugs
Read Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch if you like books that explore religious themes (and lots of drugs)
Read Ubik if you like books that explore religious themes (and lots of drugs)

Also a metric ton of short stories that are pretty good too and have been made into movies like

Minority Report, We can Remember it for you Wholesale, Adjustment Team, Paycheck etc.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 4, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snuffman posted:

I remember that but don't remember the author or title.

Maybe try the book/story identification thread? I think it's come up there before.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

In regards to Hard Sci-Fi Alistair Reynolds gets lumped in to that category too even if he generally goes more fantastic and speculative with his stuff than KSR. Chasm City is probably my top five personal favorite Sci-Fi books of all time.

I did think of Reynolds but then reconsidered. His fictional universes always obey the laws of physics, but it's still stories about creepy abandoned alien installations and frightening monsters and space adventures and so on. That's what we read them for. People just call them him hard sci-fi to differentiate him from the Star Wars/Dune-style narratives which are basically just fantasy in space, or the Peter F Hamilton schlocky pulp sort of stuff.

KSR on the other hand is hard sci-fi in the sense that he's an "ideas" writer; we're reading his books very specifically to read an exploration of 200+ years of future history about colonising Mars, or about the scientific, sociological and moral problems inherent in a generation ship, or how rising sea levels might affect New York. Not because we actually expect a tightly plotted and exciting adventure story. (I very much like both Reynolds and KSR, if that's not clear.)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

freebooter posted:

I did think of Reynolds but then reconsidered. His fictional universes always obey the laws of physics, but it's still stories about creepy abandoned alien installations and frightening monsters and space adventures and so on. That's what we read them for. People just call them him hard sci-fi to differentiate him from the Star Wars/Dune-style narratives which are basically just fantasy in space, or the Peter F Hamilton schlocky pulp sort of stuff.

KSR on the other hand is hard sci-fi in the sense that he's an "ideas" writer; we're reading his books very specifically to read an exploration of 200+ years of future history about colonising Mars, or about the scientific, sociological and moral problems inherent in a generation ship, or how rising sea levels might affect New York. Not because we actually expect a tightly plotted and exciting adventure story. (I very much like both Reynolds and KSR, if that's not clear.)

I'm currently reading a Cixin Liu short story collection in which he identifies himself as a hard sci-fi writer, and yet every story in the collection has a wild, high-concept idea that doesn't seem like a reasonable extrapolation of humanity's future in any way, and most of the time the presentation does its ample best to make those ideas ridiculous.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

In terms of traditional literary virtues I didn't think Neuromancer was especially good, but Pattern Recognition acquitted pretty well, so late Gibson stands up.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

freebooter posted:

IMO, of the books on your list I've read, best to worst:

---Absolute classics--
Neuromancer

---Really good---
Aurora
Childhood's End

---Meh---
Snow Crash
Handmaids Tale
Perdido Street Station
American Gods
Wizard of Earthsea

---Outright awful books---
Dune
Foundation

I hadn't read a really terrible opinion in a while, thanks for that

freebooter posted:

So really your rant translates to "I didn't like the first book he ever wrote therefore he sucks!"

Maybe try some of his other stuff before writing him off completely.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

uberkeyzer posted:

Double Star is another fun Heinlein. Or The Puppet Masters. But Moon is his best novel.

Regarding LeGuin, the Dispossessed is a good one too. Just reading Tombs of Atuan without reading Wizard of Earthsea is an interesting approach. Just read "Harry Potter" every time you read the name Ged and you probably wouldn't miss out on much.

Tombs of Atuan seems like the book where LeGuin found her voice., and it's probably the best of the Earthsea books.

That said I think all the Earthsea books are excellent and a definite cut above other genre wizard fiction, and not just because LeGuin did the wizard-coming-of-age thing before a lot of other folks thought to, and not just because she had a brown protagonist and it wasn't set in Fantasy Europe. The Earthsea books have some of her best prose and a lot of her most resonant imagery.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I found this to be a really meaningful analysis. Thanks.

I suppose after all of this hubbub I might as well toss the goddamn thing on the pile

Goddamn it, after all this I want to hear what you THINK after reading it!! :getin:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

If you want to read Chinese SF/F that's "authentic" take a dive into the translated XianXia or XuanHua stuff online it's vastly more authentic then some person in the west that studied Chinese culture and wrote a western fantasy with a Chinese backdrop.

Or don't because that poo poo is an acquired taste and most of the translations arn't very good.

If you just want to read good fiction then don't worry about committing thought-crime. If it's overtly bad it will bother you and hurt your impression of the book. If it doesn't bother you either it's not a big deal or you are a closet bigot.

Best place to get these in Chinese? I'm years out of practice, but nerd-lit might be enough to get me to break out the dictionaries. Just like Chinese Style Divorce, Vancouver, and FuHua BeiHou got me watching and listening.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

You might be thinking of Scales by Alastair Reynolds.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Btw, if you guys haven't caught Hulu's adaptation of the handmaid's tale, you should. Pretty good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just finished Sleeping Giants by Sulvain Neuvel. Interesting book, though I'm not sure what was going on at the end. Or, for that matter, who the mysterious protagonist is - most of the book is told through an unnamed person interviewing the people involved in events, leaving the mysterious interviewer as the main character for all that you never learn much about them.

On the whole, decently interesting story that didn't go anywhere I was expecting it to. Turned into a fairly standard "humanity discovers alien technology, political intrigue ensues while aliens watch and consider whether we can handle such power" plot after an intriguing beginning. The unusual structure of the book is interesting, but I don't think the story is interesting enough to make it as compelling as a more traditional writing style could have.

Decent read from the library if nothing else.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Already bought Perdido so I am kind of stuck there.

If you end up liking Perdido, definitely pick up The Scar as well. It's another one of Mieville's Bas Lag books and is considered widely to be one of his best period. Embassytown is another book of his that is very good but is fairly different from both PSS and Scar.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So really your rant translates to "I didn't like the first book he ever wrote therefore he sucks!"

Maybe try some of his other stuff before writing him off completely.

Actually I forgot, I read The End of Eternity last year and found it equally tedious. But I'm glad you think my negative opinion of Asimov is ipso fact a "rant."

JuniperCake posted:

If you end up liking Perdido, definitely pick up The Scar as well. It's another one of Mieville's Bas Lag books and is considered widely to be one of his best period. Embassytown is another book of his that is very good but is fairly different from both PSS and Scar.

I need to get around to reading Embassytown. I found all three Bas-Lag books to be a frustrating mix of brilliant imagination and an inability to know what to cut, but The City & The City was a very solid, unique fantasy novel.

I'd like to see more of that kind of definition of fantasy: a completely original flight of fancy, without any particular roots in mythology or folklore or whatever, or alternate universes, and not stuff you'd really consider magical realism either. The only other example I can think of is David Mitchell's Marinus books.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Already read Left Hand of Darkness in college, been about ten years though so might be worth a revisit.

Might do Moon is a Harsh Mistress instead, I want to Heinlein and am not in the mood for Starship Troopers. Already bought Perdido so I am kind of stuck there.

BTW, whats a good Philip K Dick, and would you guys recommend I do a Foundation novel from Asimov or a Robot one?

Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep is a good one for Dick. And I'd recommend reading I, Robot instead of Foundation, Foundation is a bit boring.

Also, if you want to sample SF, you really should try some short fiction. User Safety Biscuits recommended Dangerous Visions and I'll second that recommendation. Pretty much all of Safety Biscuits recommendation are solid, btw.

It's seems you figured this one out yourself, but you can pretty much disregard any recommendations in this thread where there is a prefix in front of "science fiction" or pretty much any post that divides SF into sub genres.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, whats a good Philip K Dick

SF is like lesbian porn. Your collection doesn't improve by adding Dick to it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

freebooter posted:

or how rising sea levels might affect New York.
Speaking of which, how is New York 2140 (for anyone who's read it)?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Did you just skip to the end of the thread after some time away.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Snuffman posted:

occamsnailfile posted:

You might be thinking of Scales by Alastair Reynolds.

You rock!

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 4, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack2142 posted:

Maybe this is me being a white guy, but some of the criticisms seems like nit picks and kind of explained in the story? Also maybe read the Water Knife then if you have issues with a white dude having a setting not in America or Europe? The author is from like Colorado I am sure he can handle what happens in the climate change apocalypse Southwest since he is pretty much from there.

Inb4 someone from Arizona tells me Colorado has nothing to do with the Southwest.
The fact thatCalifornia stole the Colorado River is part of why most everyone in Colorado knows a hell of a lot about water rights. And anyone who understands water rights would be just as cynical.

Also, nobody recommended Felix Gilman's The Half-Made World to Mel Mudkiper

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jedit posted:

SF is like lesbian porn. Your collection doesn't improve by adding Dick to it.

This is a terrible opinion, Dick is wonderful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Also, nobody recommended Felix Gilman's The Half-Made World to Mel Mudkiper
It's a pretty good book but I wouldn't call it great or a classic.

e: How about The Orphan's Tales?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 4, 2017

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I'm going through The Windup Girl and while it's solid as a first novel, I don't see how it could be Hugo material. The worldbuilding elements are oftentimes clumsy, in a way Gibson showed us how to get around decades prior. It's filled with sentences and phrases such as this:

"Maybe you are swept away like Expansion plastic on a beach."

"Maybe give them a taste of blister rust AG134.s."

"After the December 12 coup, it seems as if General Pracha and Minister Akkarat are always circling one another"

"I just like seeing all of you on the veranda looking like your dogs died from cibiscosis."

It's not always so obvious, and I am interested enough to finish it, but again, that this got a Hugo (even a split one) is sort of bizarre. The plot is fun, but there's no real music in the words. I'm not sure what else was up for nomination that year; I wish Jo Walton's Hugo analysis articles run later than they do.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Xotl posted:

I'm not sure what else was up for nomination that year; I wish Jo Walton's Hugo analysis articles run later than they do.

Best Novel

The City & The City, China Miéville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK)
The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)

Boneshaker, Cherie Priest (Tor)
Wake, Robert J. Sawyer (Ace; Penguin; Gollancz; Analog)
Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America, Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
Palimpsest, Catherynne M. Valente (Bantam Spectra)

So, tie for first with TC&TC. Other than that, generally weak year imo.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

fritz posted:

Did you just skip to the end of the thread after some time away.

There's lots of bad opinions but that one was deeply awful

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I picked up the compendium Tales of the Dying Earth a few days ago and blitzed through it. I love dying Earth settings and I shamefully had not read the master until now.

What else is there from Vance, or anyone really, that has the same kind of subtle humor throughout? Cugel and Rhialto's stories are funnier than any intentional sci-fi/fantasy comedy I've read.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

my bony fealty posted:

I picked up the compendium Tales of the Dying Earth a few days ago and blitzed through it. I love dying Earth settings and I shamefully had not read the master until now.

What else is there from Vance, or anyone really, that has the same kind of subtle humor throughout? Cugel and Rhialto's stories are funnier than any intentional sci-fi/fantasy comedy I've read.

I'd move on to Vance's Demon Princes books, they are great.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Do not look up summaries of the Demon Princes. Read them unspoiled.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
For a minute I thought you had said Salvatore's Demon Wars. Do not read those.

anilEhilated posted:

It's a pretty good book but I wouldn't call it great or a classic.

e: How about The Orphan's Tales?
He specifically said he wasn't interested in classics only, but rather good examples of different things you can do within the genre. There is also very little world as myth, or covered in the stuff recommended for him, even though Heinlein was thrown in there. I'm not sure that it's important to go back to the origins of it (I mean look at The Number of the Beast is you need proof of why), but it has become super important as a trope these days.

As for Heinlein I'd double the recommend of Green Hills of Earth (which is pretty much The Man Who Sold the Moon imho), the short stories all weave together to create a very rich and interesting series of events - and I am also one of those people who hates short stories.

Also I've seen Neal Stephenson recced a few times to Mel in the last couple hundred posts - gently caress that, go with Bruce Sterling, instead. His cyberpunk/post-apoc short story collections are really excellent, and most of his novels are as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Khizan posted:

Best Novel

The City & The City, China Miéville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK)
The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)

Boneshaker, Cherie Priest (Tor)
Wake, Robert J. Sawyer (Ace; Penguin; Gollancz; Analog)
Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America, Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
Palimpsest, Catherynne M. Valente (Bantam Spectra)

So, tie for first with TC&TC. Other than that, generally weak year imo.

Boneshaker was pretty bad.