Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This looks much better than the dumb Gundam mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
In the back of my mind I knew this existed but had forgotten the gimmick was revealed in such a silly way.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Didn't someone say there was a place in the US that was selling Mr. Color now? I'm trying to figure out if I need to splurge on paint for Hobbywave's going out of business sale.

Slightly related...Bimmi, is the mecha weathering book you bought good? Was it the one from Mig Jimenez?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lemon-Lime posted:

This looks much better than the dumb Gundam mode.

Reiterating that this neo psycho guncannon is way cooler looking than the gundam side

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Suzaku posted:

Didn't someone say there was a place in the US that was selling Mr. Color now? I'm trying to figure out if I need to splurge on paint for Hobbywave's going out of business sale.

Gundam Planet

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Gundam Planet

Thanks! Their stock looks to be much better than Sprue Brothers.

And in my search, I discovered that Volks USA sells Gaia Notes....

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Had a giant piece of poster paper (whatever is in poster frames before you remove it) that I couldn't return so I thought I'd try to make a janky photobox. By just draping it on a cheez-it box.

I think it turned out okay? Frankly with all this gunpla I need more lighting everywhere. Looking at my before and after it's kind of amazing what simply panel lining + topcoat does.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

I thought article 9 prevented japan from building nuclear explosives.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

gently caress

YES

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Dumb question time

I'm still building my MG Zaku II 2.0. I built the feet, which has slightly different parts, but I mixed them up when I put them back in the box and I can't tell them apart. Is it a big issue if I connect them to the wrong leg? It's just been nagging me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schneider Heim posted:

Dumb question time

I'm still building my MG Zaku II 2.0. I built the feet, which has slightly different parts, but I mixed them up when I put them back in the box and I can't tell them apart. Is it a big issue if I connect them to the wrong leg? It's just been nagging me.

It won't be able to dance

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I finished my first kit ever.

I'm not sure I would call it "fun" per se, but it was definitely therapeutic and made me nostalgic for when I played with Lego sets and Bionicles as a kid. It was nice and enjoyable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

I finished my first kit ever.

I'm not sure I would call it "fun" per se, but it was definitely therapeutic and made me nostalgic for when I played with Lego sets and Bionicles as a kid. It was nice and enjoyable.

Was the kit itself to your liking?

In other news, more early prototype images of the ZZ. It big.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Goddamn is that looking like a solid brick of plastic already.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Darth Walrus posted:

Was the kit itself to your liking?

Yeah. The Barbatos (and its variants) is one of my mobile suits (second only to the Zaku II).

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Suzaku posted:

Slightly related...Bimmi, is the mecha weathering book you bought good? Was it the one from Mig Jimenez?

There's a few Ebay sellers that deal in it as well, but Gundam Planet is always good for it.

I actually just ordered that book on Monday. Someone did a series of videos on the hand paint chipping technique that I used on Cherno Alpha, and I kept on meaning to buy it. If Bimmi never answers I'll let you know as soon as they send it to me.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Is there anywhere to get that book digitally? I'd rather not have a big art book taking up space.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

That Gobbo posted:

Is there anywhere to get that book digitally? I'd rather not have a big art book taking up space.

Negative, print only. I'm not sure how physically big it is, though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, I haven't opened mine yet, will give impressions once I do. Also, it's a pretty small book.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Yeah, I haven't opened mine yet, will give impressions once I do. Also, it's a pretty small book.

Yeah I wouldn't mind your impressions. I've been meaning to give a kit a really good weathering job and I always like the detailed instructions books like these provide.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

I can't wait to see if they'll make a new frame or just tweak an existing frame like they did with the RG Sinanju.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I can't wait to see if they'll make a new frame or just tweak an existing frame like they did with the RG Sinanju.

My gut is warning me they will probably recycle the MK II's frame again. It's their best RG inner frame by far, but it just doesn't work on machines that are almost an inch taller than the MK II.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
With how many times they'll be able to milk a Unicorn RG they'd be able to justify the cost of a custom frame just for it. Unicorn, Awakened Unicorn, Banshee/Norn/Awakened Norn, Phenix in two separate colors, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the wait for another antagonist suit in the line grows ever longer...

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zebulon posted:

With how many times they'll be able to milk a Unicorn RG they'd be able to justify the cost of a custom frame just for it. Unicorn, Awakened Unicorn, Banshee/Norn/Awakened Norn, Phenix in two separate colors, etc.

not to mention full armor unicorn, both frame colors obviously.

I like the unicorn but jesus christ there's just too many of them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

And the wait for another antagonist suit in the line grows ever longer...

When did the Gold Frame come out, like two weeks ago?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah not to mention that the sinanju came out last August. The last 2 out of the 3 kits have been bad guy suits.

I don't really care either way since I don't like the RG line that much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Huh, must have missed that one. Thought the last one was the sinanju. Still want my Gouf Troup with overly articulated cannon fingers but it's more likely the thunderbolt Gouf will come out first.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
RG is a joke at this point.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Bimmi posted:

RG is a joke at this point.

Why is that? Never bothered to get any yet, but I'm wondering what the problems in that line are.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtheistMantis posted:

Why is that? Never bothered to get any yet, but I'm wondering what the problems in that line are.

Some of the kits are a little fiddly and don't hold together very well. Mainly the ones with transformation gimmicks. But aside from that, they're really good.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Calling the RG line a joke is pretty unjustified honestly - sure some of the kits don't quite make the grade (lol) but it's by no means a line full of duds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It had the hands down best standard Zaku II kit until the Origin kits came out, and it still does some stuff better than those kits. I want my rotating mono-eye gimmick on every zeon suit.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I really like my RG kits, even the much maligned Zeta. I especially enjoy the detail and color separation at half the MG price. For people who do straight builds without painting, I think they're a good value.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The only RG I've done I haven't loved was Freedom, and even then I think part of the jank on mine was my fault.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I've built the Z'gok, who is a perfect little crab boy that I love very much, and the RX-78, which falls apart if you look at it wrong. Really just depends on the kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
As far as I'm concerned, RG is an inherently flawed concept that has been further ill-served by a fairly uninteresting lineup, and to follow up a disaster like the RG Zeta with the Unicorn is basically just saying "hold my beer." And now we'll get even more recolors over things that might actually be worth getting excited over.

All in all it's been a somewhat half-assed experiment which I really had expected better from, but I think at this point they're genuinely blowing it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
RG has an Exia, so I am honorbound to buy one eventually.

Also the dual-color poo poo the Red astray has going on is rad af.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mikeycp posted:

RG has an Exia, so I am honorbound to buy one eventually.

Also the dual-color poo poo the Red astray has going on is rad af.

The RG Exia is indeed a fantastic kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I mean, I like my RG 00 pretty well, but that's not to say that it doesn't have some glaring issues (most inherent to that stupid premolded frame), and in terms of the direction the overall line has taken I think they've seriously lost the plot.