Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/859910442973614080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

"Unlike our constituents who need health care."

Fuckers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Because it's DOA in the senate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh wouldn't it be sooo loving sweet if they hold the vote only for it to fail. Like maybe if a couple Lean Yes' get visited by the Ghost of Christmas Future tonight or something and gently caress up the whip count.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 4, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's going to be funny if this gets brought to a vote and fails, because in addition to embarrassing themselves it means a whole bunch of Rs in contestable seats just branded themselves with a scarlet Yes for nothing.

God I hope they don't pass this though.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

This is the kind of poo poo someone says right before they take a drink of cyanide laced Kool-Aid. He knows it is dead and is just bracing those few blissful moment of celebration.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hastings posted:

This is the kind of poo poo someone says right before they take a drink of cyanide laced Kool-Aid. He knows it is dead and is just bracing those few blissful moment of celebration.

No they're going to pass it tomorrow.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ogmius815 posted:

No they're going to pass it tomorrow.

I'm not entirely sure Paul Ryan knows whether they will pass it tomorrow.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/859931604554219520

Probably HFC.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
How are premiums going to go down next year? The health insurance industry is losing $1 trillion from government subsidies alone if they repeal the ACA. I don't see how this chaos is going to do anything but give insurers an excuse to raise premiums.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

How are premiums going to go down next year? The health insurance industry is losing $1 trillion from government subsidies alone if they repeal the ACA. I don't see how this chaos is going to do anything but give insurers an excuse to raise premiums.

health insurers will be allowed to sell plans that cover nothing for $50/month

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

health insurers will be allowed to sell plans that cover nothing for $50/month

Assuming the individual market survives the disruption. AFAIK there are no provisions to cover insurer losses like what ACA had in the beginning.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/859933959244963840

Slavitt has been a bit hyperbolic in the last month or so, but also knows his poo poo.

If he's correct, the premise of the thread is that Upton's $8b for those with preexisting conditions is only available to states who cut essential benefits requirements AND doesn't actually have to go towards the coverage of those who have preexisting conditions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/859933959244963840

Slavitt has been a bit hyperbolic in the last month or so, but also knows his poo poo.

If he's correct, the premise of the thread is that Upton's $8b for those with preexisting conditions is only available to states who cut essential benefits requirements AND doesn't actually have to go towards the coverage of those who have preexisting conditions.

lol its literally a bribe to throw people with pre-existing conditions off insurance, not help for them

i didn't even consider it might be that evil

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Wait are they trying to make this effective immediately? Isn't the usual MO to put these kind of things in effect after the midterm elections and hope shot works out before the next election?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So I guess the idea is, like no-strings block grants, Republican states will just use the money for tax cuts?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

The only people with lower premiums will be the small group of men older than 26, but below 35ish, who don't receive employer provided coverage, are in decent health, and aren't in a position to start a family in the next few years. Unfortunately for the GOP, they are more likely to be posting in 4chan or Reddit than voting.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

The only people with lower premiums will be the small group of men older than 26, but below 35ish, who don't receive employer provided coverage, are in decent health, and aren't in a position to start a family in the next few years. Unfortunately for the GOP, they are more likely to be posting in 4chan or Reddit than voting.

True.

Even the somewhat 'protected' groups (old folks on Medicare, veterans) are going to feel the premium crunch because they, you know, have relatives and friends and stuff

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
It astounds me that this bill might pass. No one except GOP lawmakers actually like this thing and the reason they probably like it is they don't have to live with the odious provisions in it.

These people are evil.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
They kinda spun up this effort a little more quickly and managed to keep it a little more under the radar and didn't give everyone weeks to find out it was terrible and tear it apart; that probably helped.

I hope any R in a vulnerable district who votes for this gets loving atomized come election time.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

They kinda spun up this effort a little more quickly and managed to keep it a little more under the radar and didn't give everyone weeks to find out it was terrible and tear it apart; that probably helped.

I hope any R in a vulnerable district who votes for this gets loving atomized come election time.

Dems better remember this poo poo when the attack ads roll out. This is pure unfiltered gently caress you got mine-ism, esp. with the amendment that lets GOP keep ACA caliber insurance

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I always thought that one of the universal truths in American politics is that you never piss off the AARP.

It doesn't seem very smart to push forward on healthcare legislation that is being sharply denounced by an interest group representing 40 million of the most reliable voters in the country. But hey, what do I know, I ain't a wonky guy like Paul Ryan

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

sharkbomb posted:

I always thought that one of the universal truths in American politics is that you never piss off the AARP.

It doesn't seem very smart to push forward on healthcare legislation that is being sharply denounced by an interest group representing 40 million of the most reliable voters in the country. But hey, what do I know, I ain't a wonky guy like Paul Ryan

The universal truth is GOP politicians want more money for corporate interests and themselves, and i guess we're just at the point that greed is more important. Maybe want to go out with a bang that'll take 30 years to fix?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sloober posted:

Dems better remember this poo poo when the attack ads roll out. This is pure unfiltered gently caress you got mine-ism, esp. with the amendment that lets GOP keep ACA caliber insurance

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/860116019263787008

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not just the DSCC:

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/860121566818029568

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
From the WSJ, no less:
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/860085668403441665

They better have gotten their whip count confirmed with blood oaths, because yiiiikes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's really hard to describe how evil this bill is in a way that doesn't sound like parody.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's really hard to describe how evil this bill is in a way that doesn't sound like parody.

I never thought the government would run as a real opposition to The Onion, but here we are

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sloober posted:

I never thought the government would run as a real opposition to The Onion, but here we are

Except it's literally illegal to laugh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Paul Ryan has a thing for pissing off the AARP. I don't think anyone ever told him how important olds are to his party.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The AARP has long been considered a liberal organization thanks to Fox News. Conservative boomers don't give a gently caress.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
All the reporters on this beat worth following seem pretty confident that it will pass.

The crazies are gonna be pretty emboldened moving forward.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's kind of like 2012 when pollsters were describing the Ryan budget and people were refusing to believe someone would actually suggest such things.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

parallelodad posted:

The AARP has long been considered a liberal organization thanks to Fox News. Conservative boomers don't give a gently caress.

http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=11545

As of 2012, Favorability is 81/19 with the overall population and 68/32 for conservatives.

Nothing Facts matter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

From the WSJ, no less:

They better have gotten their whip count confirmed with blood oaths, because yiiiikes.

this isn't even intentional i don't think, this is just an accident because they're ramming it through before anyone can figure out what it does, including them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

duz posted:

It's kind of like 2012 when pollsters were describing the Ryan budget and people were refusing to believe someone would actually suggest such things.

Yeah, exactly. It's even most of the same proposals (block granting Medicaid, etc.). Brains can't accept it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Paracaidas posted:

From the WSJ, no less:

My wife just got a great job with great benefits so we won't need to use the ACA anymore. It's good to see the GOP trying to gently caress over everyone right now. I hope this gets buried in the senate. I'm to a point where I don't have the energy anymore trying to explain to friends and family why the GOP does not care about them.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Preliminary procedural vote occurring now because voice vote apparently wasn't good enough. No (R) defections so far in bringing the bill to a vote with 170 (R) votes still to be counted. Again, this is a preliminary vote to bring us closer to the final vote on the question.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=11545

As of 2012, Favorability is 81/19 with the overall population and 68/32 for conservatives.

Nothing Facts matter.

Was sorting my parent's mail for them while they were away and came across a mailer from these assholes marketing themselves as "a conservative alternative to the AARP".

If we're going by Dante's Inferno rules these people would land somewhere in the Eighth Circle I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Never count on the Senate to do the right thing