Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

Oh my, oh my. Now I'm just as confused as before.

RVProfootballer is correct. They're bad and bad at updating but everyone else is atrocious at updating. Samsung is easily the best OEM when it comes to updates but they are bad at it from any objective measure, everyone else is just worse or doesn't even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

I'm on Verizon here in the US and my phone is finally due for an upgrade. I know people have been talking about the Pixel XL a lot but I've been eyeing the HTC 10 for a while now mainly because I like the idea of moving over the microSD card I have in my Galaxy S5 at the moment and my last HTC phone was an EVO years ago and it worked well. Should I just say gently caress it and get a Pixel? Just looking for good performance and a good camera.

You should say gently caress it and get a Pixel. Don't buy the HTC 10. No support will be given to it. HTC has gone way downhill.

Ironically I think they make the Pixel, but it's Google controlling the process and more importantly the software.

Also, go Flyers.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My mother is looking for an android phone that isn't phablet sized, has a good camera (pretty much the only thing she cares about) and is available SIM free in the UK for under £250 - what's good around this price point?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

You should say gently caress it and get a Pixel. Don't buy the HTC 10. No support will be given to it. HTC has gone way downhill.

Ironically I think they make the Pixel, but it's Google controlling the process and more importantly the software.

Also, go Flyers.

Yeah I ended up doing just that, the Pixel is cool as poo poo and super fast and I'm loving how barbones it feels out the gate. And yeah HTC helped manufacture it.

Also, gently caress yeah :tastykake:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

My mother is looking for an android phone that isn't phablet sized, has a good camera (pretty much the only thing she cares about) and is available SIM free in the UK for under £250 - what's good around this price point?

There isn't a good camera on an Android at that pricepoint. The cheapest good camera is the iPhone SE.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anyone use cricket network? I might need a new carrier, had tmobile and it was decent enough usually, but cricket has a 30$/month plan that sounds fine. Might be moving in a few months so I dont want a year contract.

In seattle btw

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lots of people do. It's AT&T and it's good.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Thanks all for the recs on the last page. Ive been lookin for a oneplus 3t sale but instead i found the zte axon 7 is $330 from neweggs ebay storefront w/ warranty and it looks p nice. Worth it? Decent camera? How is the longevity on their support? I see they announced a 7s today so hopefully that means the 7 will get continued updates maybe?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Quetzadilla posted:

Thanks all for the recs on the last page. Ive been lookin for a oneplus 3t sale but instead i found the zte axon 7 is $330 from neweggs ebay storefront w/ warranty and it looks p nice. Worth it? Decent camera? How is the longevity on their support? I see they announced a 7s today so hopefully that means the 7 will get continued updates maybe?

I (and quite a few other goons) love the Axon 7. Mine is on 7.1.1. Fantastic battery life and great speakers and screen quality. Camera has actually gotten significantly better with updates. I've had mine since launch with pretty much no issues.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Captain Yossarian posted:

I (and quite a few other goons) love the Axon 7. Mine is on 7.1.1. Fantastic battery life and great speakers and screen quality. Camera has actually gotten significantly better with updates. I've had mine since launch with pretty much no issues.

cool well my lg leon has stopped responding to touchscreen inputs which is forcing my hand so axon 7 it is! any accessory brand recs? (low profile case, car charger, backup wall charger, usbc cables since i have 0 of those)

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I am ripping my brains trying to decide between:
Oneplus 3t
Moto Z Play
HTC 10
Axon 7 now as well!

All in my budget but fed up trying to work out which is going to suit me for a couple of years.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
edit:made up my mind about it, getting a g5

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 19, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

I don't know what the dilemma was but this is a solid choice.

SoylentCola posted:

I am ripping my brains trying to decide between:
Oneplus 3t
Moto Z Play
HTC 10
Axon 7 now as well!

All in my budget but fed up trying to work out which is going to suit me for a couple of years.

I get the impression you aren't in the US? If not, the prices might be all wonky but if you are you're almost certainly better off getting the Moto G5+ (64GB version) for $230 with ads or $300 without and paying about half for what will likely be about equal performance. The midrange just isn't worth 1.5-2x the price of a Moto G5+.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I'm UK. I currently have a Moto X Play that needs replacing due to my abusive nature. Most of the phones above I can get for £350 or below. I've had a look at the G5 but I'm not sure I like it and the worst thing is when my X Play was out of commission I used my old HTC One M8 and I really like the feel of that phone, hence the HTC 10 being on the list.

Is there any reason not to get the HTC 10?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SoylentCola posted:

I'm UK. I currently have a Moto X Play that needs replacing due to my abusive nature. Most of the phones above I can get for £350 or below. I've had a look at the G5 but I'm not sure I like it and the worst thing is when my X Play was out of commission I used my old HTC One M8 and I really like the feel of that phone, hence the HTC 10 being on the list.

Is there any reason not to get the HTC 10?

I wish I had better detail than I'm about to give you, it's mostly half-remembered and poorly sourced. I'd lean against them because they're in a tenuous position, seemingly barely still around as a brand (though likely will remain alive as an ODM rather than an OEM) so future support seems iffy. There's also been tales of any exchanges or repaired devices being returned to the user beat up and broken. That's the worst I can think of.

As for the device itself, most of the reviews were quite good only really dinging it for maybe being too expensive which it clearly isn't now. Of the ones on your list I'd probably go toward that or the Moto Z Play and if you like the look and feel of the HTC I can't say it would be the worst choice.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Cheers, that helps a bunch. So how does the Oneplus 3t shape up? Looks a little fringe.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Honest Thief posted:

Hopefully you mean Moto and not LG

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SoylentCola posted:

Cheers, that helps a bunch. So how does the Oneplus 3t shape up? Looks a little fringe.

Never settle...on a OnePlus

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SoylentCola posted:

A little fringe is a good way to put it. The company more or less launched on gimmicky practices (show us your tits for a chance at a preorder!) and then offered poor backing to customers needing service. Not much has changed, they still offer highly specced and poorly performing devices with dodgy software that seems to be in a state of perpetual beta. This model, for instance, seems to be reviewed well but when stacked up against phones with much lesser specs oddly performs worse, suffering from touch lag and aggressive memory management negating its much touted "6GB of RAM". For these reasons the company and this specific device are generally frowned upon here, though some defend it at every turn. (I understand that compulsion as I was perfectly satisfied with my Galaxy Nexus.) It's tough for anyone being objective to recommend them or it in good faith, in my opinion.

Might as well throw in my two cents on something you didn't ask about. Since you aren't interested in the Moto G5 for £179.99 or Moto G5+ for £249.99, you might want to consider the Pixel or Pixel XL. It's made by HTC and does have that "HTC feel" and it's also the best Android available at any price. It's also really expensive but at least you can count on two and a half years of software support and you'll have the smoothest user experience in an Android by a mile. It's really a phenomenal phone. That said it's three times more expensive than the Moto G5/G5+ and you could buy a new one of those every year for three years for the same price. You seem really interested in the HTC 10 for £350 so double that might be a bridge too far, but I really think you'd be happiest with the G5/G5+ and an extra hundred in your pocket for later.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Quetzadilla posted:

cool well my lg leon has stopped responding to touchscreen inputs which is forcing my hand so axon 7 it is! any accessory brand recs? (low profile case, car charger, backup wall charger, usbc cables since i have 0 of those)

Let me look at my history on Amazon and get back to you :)

Fake edit:

Car charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016LOGVRE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Kbt3NxYceaWc1

USB-C cables: got some Choetech cables which I thought were "approved" but the listing is gone... Hopefully another goon has a link to the known - good cables

Case: cheap as dirt and fits great. Color is definitely brighter then I would normally go for, but there are a billion different cases out there that are super cheap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPO3QRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Vv39ybW93ARV8

Backup wall charger: I actually don't have one yet. No reason, but I use my old USB charger at work with a USB C cable. Not quick charge, but fast enough

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
My Nexus 5X just went into bootloop hell last night. From reading the last few pages of the thread, it seems like I'd probably be really satisfied with a Moto G5+, in that the look and feel would be fairly similar - the only thing I'd be missing out on is the NFC/Android Pay stuff. Is there anything else that someone who's owned both phones would add?

Edit: Can anyone recommend some good accessories for it as well, or any other phones that I absolutely should consider before pulling the trigger on this one?

Soaring Kestrel fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 19, 2017

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So it looks like it's impossible to actually get a 5" Pixel? They're all out of stock in the Google Store. I really don't want the XL, I've held one, and it's too big for me. My last two phones were an HTC One (M9? I think?) and the Moto X 2nd Gen. I like those phones, and I guess the Pixel is slightly smaller than they are.

My GF has the Nexus 6P, and it's larger than I like, but still usable, and I believe it's just about the same size as the XL? So while I could be ok with the larger size, I don't necessarily want to pay an extra $120 for it.

I'm actually this close to just getting a Nexus 6P from Amazon Warehouse deals from a seller that claims it's new (well, I guess not new, but still in box.) They have a good reputation/rating, so I'm inclined to believe them. But then I have to consider the fact that the battery is already fairly old (at least for phones.) Even if it was one of the last ones off the line, that still puts it at about a year old, right? I haven't found any decent deals for old stock of regular Pixels. There';s a few listings but they're from "just launched" sellers, so I don't trust them at all, especially since the price is suspiciously low.

Maybe just stick with Moto and get the G5+?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Flying Leatherman posted:

My Nexus 5X just went into bootloop hell last night. From reading the last few pages of the thread, it seems like I'd probably be really satisfied with a Moto G5+, in that the look and feel would be fairly similar - the only thing I'd be missing out on is the NFC/Android Pay stuff. Is there anything else that someone who's owned both phones would add?

Edit: Can anyone recommend some good accessories for it as well, or any other phones that I absolutely should consider before pulling the trigger on this one?

How old is it? Even if it's out of the 1 year warranty you might get LG to send you a G5 for free that you can sell for $200 on Craigslist. Or use, if you're a masochist like I am.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

How old is it? Even if it's out of the 1 year warranty you might get LG to send you a G5 for free that you can sell for $200 on Craigslist. Or use, if you're a masochist like I am.

I'm out of luck there, I bought this one off Swappa, not direct :(

e: either way, it'd be out of warranty - I've owned it for almost a year after buying it

Soaring Kestrel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 19, 2017

Hot Damn!
Oct 28, 2004
I bought my wife a Moto Z Play from Amazon Warehouse for 330 and it has the best battery I've ever seen in a modern smart phone. I'm probably gonna buy another one to replace my increasingly lovely Nexus 5x.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Country/Provider: USA, AT&T

Current contract status: Family plan w/10 gig data

Budget (phone/plan): About $250, willing to buy used.

Features I know I want:
Android with frequent updates
Able to use the GPS and a music app without crashing the phone
Able to launch a game like Pokemon Go without crashing the phone
SD-card slot preferred
32 gigs of storage minimum
Battery that lasts at least a day

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
This is a kind of odd situation and I was hoping I could get some help. My wife's parents live in the Brazil. They are old and not familiar with technology. My wife wants to speak to them more often. We decided it would be best to get them a cell phone. The only issue is, how do we go about doing this? Anything we do needs to be 100% done on our side. Her parents are incapable of doing anything besides turning on the phone. I looked into buying a sim card, but how would I be able to activate it state side and ensure it works before mailing it over? Also, if we regularly use Whatsapp to video chat, is a sim card even a good option? I looked into US carriers, and it seems like the cheapest option I can find is getting a T-mobile line. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and able to offer any advice?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Features I know I want:
Android with frequent updates

Okay there's only the one opti--

RandomPauI posted:

Budget (phone/plan): About $250, willing to buy used.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, no, that's not going to happen but it's adorable you think it could! For $800 you can buy a Pixel and if you don't have $800 and you want frequent updates you can choke on a dick, those are your only two choices.

You should get a Moto G5+ 64GB with ads for $230 on Amazon or $300 ad-free and live with the idea that you aren't getting updates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

crotchgobbler posted:

This is a kind of odd situation and I was hoping I could get some help. My wife's parents live in the Brazil. They are old and not familiar with technology. My wife wants to speak to them more often. We decided it would be best to get them a cell phone. The only issue is, how do we go about doing this? Anything we do needs to be 100% done on our side. Her parents are incapable of doing anything besides turning on the phone. I looked into buying a sim card, but how would I be able to activate it state side and ensure it works before mailing it over? Also, if we regularly use Whatsapp to video chat, is a sim card even a good option? I looked into US carriers, and it seems like the cheapest option I can find is getting a T-mobile line. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and able to offer any advice?

Honestly, any chance of a family friend helping them get setup locally would be best.

Do they have wifi? If they have wifi and are home a lot, one possibility is get them an iPad, and just use FaceTime. It can at least be pretty simple: hit home button twice to unlock, hit green FaceTime icon, hit name to call. I have a lot of older customers (my mom included) who get by just using an iPad.

Still will probably require some local setup. I don't think there is much of a way around that.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just ordered a Moto Z 32GB for 249 Euro from a promotion (Germany)
That's still a good Android phone, right?
My Nexus 4 is on it's last legs and I was considering the Moto G5 plus today when this showed up in one of my feeds. It may be sold out already, I guess, but I got my order in and should be able to pick it up at a local store tomorrow hopefully). Unless you tell me it's a bad deal.

http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_lenovo-moto-z-2159116.html

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mcbexx posted:

Just ordered a Moto Z 32GB for 249 Euro from a promotion (Germany)
That's still a good Android phone, right?
My Nexus 4 is on it's last legs and I was considering the Moto G5 plus today when this showed up in one of my feeds. It may be sold out already, I guess, but I got my order in and should be able to pick it up at a local store tomorrow hopefully). Unless you tell me it's a bad deal.

http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_lenovo-moto-z-2159116.html

For the price it's tough to beat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Where are good places for a Canadian to shop for phones?

I'm in the market for a replacement for my Nexus 5 but it occurs to me I have no idea where to look. Previous phones were either from friends, through Google, or easy choices to make from a phone plan's provider. But I'm with Public Mobile now and they only offer refurbs through a third party.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Hi! I've finally come to the conclusion that using an Android phone is probably going to be better experience than windows. So I'm looking for a phone!

I don't really care about it being super pretty or having a great camera or screen, but I would like a decently durable phone with a good antenna--something that's been kind of underprioritized, I think--and some 32GB of memory. It would also be great if my phone refrained from exploding.

I'm sorry if this is kind of broad, but I don't really care about phones, I just want them to work. Can any of you suggest a purchase? Thanks :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bobfly posted:

Hi! I've finally come to the conclusion that using an Android phone is probably going to be better experience than windows. So I'm looking for a phone!

I don't really care about it being super pretty or having a great camera or screen, but I would like a decently durable phone with a good antenna--something that's been kind of underprioritized, I think--and some 32GB of memory. It would also be great if my phone refrained from exploding.

I'm sorry if this is kind of broad, but I don't really care about phones, I just want them to work. Can any of you suggest a purchase? Thanks :)

Moto G5+ 64GB $230 with Amazon ads or $300 without.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
So, here's an odd situation. I'm looking for any old model of Android smartphone. Not to use it as a smartphone, mind you, but to make use of its NFC reader/writer for an Android application. No plan needed for it. What would be my cheapest option for a stable phone that meets those criteria?

The best I've found, so far, is this.

Country/Provider: United States

Current contract status: N/A

Budget (phone/plan): Preferably <$100, the cheaper, the better.

Features I know I want: NFC read/write capabilities, Android operating system.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 2, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lorak posted:

So, here's an odd situation. I'm looking for any old model of Android smartphone. Not to use it as a smartphone, mind you, but to make use of its NFC reader/writer for an Android application. No plan needed for it. What would be my cheapest option for a stable phone that meets those criteria?

The best I've found, so far, is this.

Country/Provider: United States

Current contract status: N/A

Budget (phone/plan): Preferably <$100, the cheaper, the better.

Features I know I want: NFC read/write capabilities, Android operating system.

Seems good enough. It's not like you need it up to date or even activated.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

35$ Nexus s from swappa

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

35$ Nexus s from swappa

I thought about suggesting that but he said "stable".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Oh I missed that, fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I'm on AT&T in the US. I'm looking for a phone that is large and pretty decent for performance. I'd like waterproofing of some sort. Wireless charging would be nice because I have three Qi pads. Honestly, the Note 7 was almost perfect, but, well, you know.

Anything like that? I'm looking for $400 off contract, but I could always do AT&T next, so price isn't that much of a concern even though I know I pay more over time.