Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It's a much better topic for discussion than most in this thread, but I'm going to posit Star Wars isn't hard sci-fi and a reading on that level isn't really the intent. Thematically, even, they gloss over any critical thought on droid humanity. This ain't Blade Runner, it's space wizards.

I'm sure this isn't true for the EU, and I'd love to see a movie delve into this idea, I just don't think they've given it as much thought.

Fincher stated he wanted to at one point, and well, gently caress it someone should let him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It's a much better topic for discussion than most in this thread, but I'm going to posit Star Wars isn't hard sci-fi and a reading on that level isn't really the intent. Thematically, even, they gloss over any critical thought on droid humanity. This ain't Blade Runner, it's space wizards.

I'm sure this isn't true for the EU, and I'd love to see a movie delve into this idea, I just don't think they've given it as much thought.

I don't see the point of drawing arbitrary lines between what you think should or shouldn't be read.

You;re free not to care about the discussion but why argue that it shouldn't take place?

Serf
May 5, 2011

"We don't serve their kind here" - a line from a movie that is clearly not trying to say anything about an underclass, no siree

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This is a scene from Return of the Jedi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0-dCLFadQ

You'll notice that the torture of the droid isn't just an incidental background detail; it's in the foreground of the first shot, directly above R2 in the second, and then given its own close up in the final. Time is spent emphasizing that this is a droid which is having heated irons applied to its feet, and it is screaming as a result.

One can argue whether or not this is programmed pain or whatever, but we're obviously meant to associate it with torture. C-3PO is horrified by what is happening. He is scared that the same will happen to him.

There is no reason to torture or scare a droid. If R2 is a "feisty little one" but will "soon learn some respect", why not simply wipe his memory and turn him into a perfect servant?

Regardless of any "practical" arguments, the film is treating these characters as though they were sentient beings capable of feelings and desires.

---

This is a flexible black box theatre stage:

They are one of the most common types of theatre, along with Prosceniums, Thrusts, and arenas. They are highly configurable, because all they are is a room painted black, and both the seating and set can be placed where ever one chooses.

Much black box theatre is performed with either minimalistic or no set, and minimal costuming. Everything from very traditional Shakespeare or Greek tragedy, to very modern experimental or absurd theatre can performed black box.

The actors get over themselves and do their drat jobs. They idea that you can't act against a blue or green screen is patently false.

Even on a very built up set and detailed, there's this thing called the Fourth Wall. It's the one that the audience sees through into the action.

In a film or TV, this area is completely covered with cameras, crew, other actors, people's girlfriends, craft services, runners with script changes...

In modern one camera filming, the cameras will often be directly in your face, over your shoulder, between your legs, kneeling in front of you shooting up your nose, or in a myriad of other very close positions.

There is never a moment in which you are not aware that you are acting.

Scrubs was filmed in an actual hospital, but even then, it was chockful of camera people and assistants and such.

You get over it and do it anyways. This is why acting is a learned skill that takes time and effort, and not some magical gift granted by the gods.

The idea that "Oh, if only they'd had more real sets!" is garbage.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 3, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Strangely, I'm remind how bad of a show Scrubs was yet I kept watching it.

Anyway, Star wars.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Also the pre-quels were a landmark in miniature design and filming. Really, some of the stuff they did was incredible. Also impressive set and location shoots. The "but cgi" complaint is the flimsiest there is and disrespects some amazing prop/set design.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Covok posted:

Strangely, I'm remind how bad of a show Scrubs was yet I kept watching it.

Anyway, Star wars.

gently caress you. Scrubs is better than Star Wars.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

The clones are biological humanoids. They were designed for the sole purpose of killing. Do they not also deserve personhood?

Clones also can be reprogrammed. The movie demonstrates their entire personalities change with the mere utterernce of a codeword.

The clones are an aberration. An affront to God.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Danger posted:

Also the pre-quels were a landmark in miniature design and filming. Really, some of the stuff they did was incredible. Also impressive set and location shoots. The "but cgi" complaint is the flimsiest there is and disrespects some amazing prop/set design.

I posted it before, I'll post it again..."but the CGI" is the "but her emails" of film criticism.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

jivjov posted:

I posted it before, I'll post it again..."but the CGI" is the "but her emails" of film criticism.

Does anyone here have a blanket hate of CG? People hate bad CG, which is in abundance in the prequels.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Danger posted:

The waterfalls of Theed were actually created out of salt.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

jivjov posted:

Ben "Obi-Wan" Ghazi

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Does anyone here have a blanket hate of CG? People hate bad CG, which is in abundance in the prequels.

The CGI in the prequels isn't bad, it now looks very dated. With how fast the technology has leaped forward in the past 15 years I don't think its really fair to expect CGI from the early 2000s to hold up as well as it did at the time. I really don't remember anyone complaining about any aspect of the special effects whatsoever when the movies were in theaters, they were regarded as cutting edge.

To a kid who wasn't alive in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, the effects techniques used in the OT will look just as "bad", if not more so.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

man i can understand hating the prequels but even they don't deserve being compared to hilary clinton

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I think the only prequels-CG I really dislike is Threepio holding onto the flying platform with only his fingertips in AOTC, but that's mostly just because Threepio shouldn't be able to lift his arms over his head at all.

It's the worst shot in that whole movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

I would like to see a Venn Diagram of prequel-hate weirdos and Trump voters. I imagine it would be pretty close to a circle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

The CG in the prequels is mostly quite good, but at parts is merely fine.

Granted, I say this having most recently watched the bluray versions, which have been updated compared to the versions shown in theater.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 4, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember even at the time, AOTC was pretty loving impressive. We saw LOTR's partially CGI armies attack each other at night, AOTC threw two completely CGI armies at each other in the middle of the day. It was pretty cool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

UmOk posted:

I would like to see a Venn Diagram of prequel-hate weirdos and Trump voters. I imagine it would be pretty close to a circle.

what

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker's voice modulator.

UmOk posted:

Nah.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Danger posted:

Shame about everything else

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Danger posted:

Plus the CG in Revenge of the Sith is really good. Parts of it are of course dated but there's quite a few parts where everything comes together and the movie just looks awesome.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I wonder how many posts this thread could go without a facile comparison to Trump or goons implicitly accusing the people who disagree with them about Star War of being racist.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Yaws posted:

When the prequels came out, they were some of the first movies doing what they did as extensively as they did. I keep going back to King Kong when I talk about the CGI in the prequels, because as far as I know the prequels (and Lord of the Rings) pushed the boundaries of special effects in a similar way. I don't like the movies as much as King Kong, but I think the effects themselves were a positive thing for the industry. The effects are dated now, but the effects in King Kong were dated after awhile, too. Mighty Joe Young came out 16 years after King Kong. His movements are generally a lot smoother than Kong's, his anatomy is much closer to an actual gorilla's, and the rear projection doesn't seem to lose the dark tones as much, resulting in some better compositing. There's a shot in this clip where it goes behind Joe's back, and as he moves his head you can see the skin of his neck realistically deform in a way that I can't remember seeing in King Kong (though I admit it might have and I just forgot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mOdWLG4bNU&t=129s

I kinda just don't like seeing CGI trivialized when compared to the work of people like O'Brien or Harryhausen or Stan Winston. CG artists do a lot of hard work, too, and their work is often one of the few high points of a bad movie.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

sassassin posted:

I don't see the point of drawing arbitrary lines between what you think should or shouldn't be read.

You;re free not to care about the discussion but why argue that it shouldn't take place?

I didn't argue it shouldn't take place. Hell, I said it was the best topic for conversation the thread has offered in awhile. My point was that they haven't tackled the subject in the main text like classic sci-fi is known for. (Asimov, Philip K. Dick) It's all over in the subtext, but never pushed into the spotlight.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Doing my classic rewatch (II, III, V, VI) and I'd agree ^ The space battle at the start. it was like a response to LotRs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Beeez posted:

I wonder how many posts this thread could go without a facile comparison to Trump or goons implicitly accusing the people who disagree with them about Star War of being racist.

:sad:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

star wars is good and trump is bad

Beeez
May 28, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

star wars is good and trump is bad

This is why facile comparisons aren't always wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The EU: good or bad?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Covok posted:

Good that it exists. Bad that people read it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I didn't argue it shouldn't take place. Hell, I said it was the best topic for conversation the thread has offered in awhile. My point was that they haven't tackled the subject in the main text like classic sci-fi is known for. (Asimov, Philip K. Dick) It's all over in the subtext, but never pushed into the spotlight.

"If droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?" - a movie that definitely isn't commenting on a liberal democracy's fear of an untermensch uprising

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Covok posted:

Yes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Great Britain joined the Separatists

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is a scene from Return of the Jedi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0-dCLFadQ

As a child I watched the first 30 minutes or so of Return of the Jedi on video constantly before I had better stuff to do, but had to go out of the room before this bit because it was so horrible. People bringing in obfuscatory arguments about whether AI in Star Wars can ever actually achieve personhood are missing a point that a literal 3-year-old will get: the lives of the droids are just as valuable, they are our friends and we empathise with them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What ever happened to old master Watto?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

General Dog posted:

He was probably on the Death Star when it exploded or something equally stupid.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

General Dog posted:

Apparently he was in Galaxies (the first Star Wars MMO), still junk trading. New canon doesn't seem to have done anything with him yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As far as the films are concerned he continued trading merchandise, offloaded an old slave, and thats it really.

I assume at some point he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watto eventually became producer for Max Rebo's band and had a long successful career until he pulled a Phil Spector.

• Locked thread