Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Shadow225 posted:

Please do not recommend the guy who wants player interaction in his games Castles of Burgundy.

Fair enough. I was just recommending an easy toe in the water for euros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lord Frisk posted:

Fair enough. I was just recommending an easy toe in the water for euros.
Also, since he's new to gaming, it's likely he hasn't tried a "pure" eurogame. Can't hurt to recommend such a great game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Tai posted:

So I'm taking myself into board games since myself and my gf are bored of monopoly, Uno etc.

Planning to spend a few hundred $$ for some games and currently going for the following.

Lords of Waterdeep plus expansion (I like the gently caress you and corruption element it adds)
Pandemic Legacy for some coop fun
Settlers of Catan (she likes the look of it, not 100% sold myself)
Dead of Winter (bit worried we'll miss out on some fun like the betrayer person since playing its only two of us)
War of the Ring (bit heavy for her to begin with so probably sit at the bottom of the pile)

We both really like the screwing with other factor via cards that war of the ring and waterdeep expansion offers but anything else worth adding to the Amazon order? I'll prob add another 2-3 games if they sound appealing to both of us.

The only game on that list I would recommend is Pandemic Legacy. I would recommend 7 Wonders Duel. There's a bunch of other games I would recommend like Keyflower, Patchwork, Eminent Domain and Valley of the Kings but I don't know how well they would fit your guys taste.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the intro to eurogames for someone new to modern games, who wants a good 2 player option, and loves player interaction is Caylus or Keyflower or Tash-Kalar.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

The greatest trick Catan ever pulled was making people think it was a game about trading, instead of actually being a game about doing everything BUT trading, and indeed trading was the one thing you absolutely shouldn't do a lot of the time.

Trading is going to be weird at 2P (since it's effectively a zero sum game where both players can't "win" a trade) but at higher player counts you should be trading a lot. Good trades will benefit both players, so being in on more of those benefits means you do better.

I'd say it's exactly the opposite really: I'd say probably the biggest downside of Catan is that trading is so extremely important and advantageous that it makes the whole game too political (because when you leave the leader out of the trading circle, it lets you all catch up). Trading is also strong enough that you have to decide how to handle "trades for partial payment with future consideration but maybe not", or else they can get out of hand/hurt-feelingy (as they do naturally in Sheriff of Nottingham). It's hard to make rules on this kind of thing, just as it's impossible to prevent collusion in Risk; political games are political.

Every once in a while I've played Catan or CE with a mixed group of "co-operators" and "lone guns" - the co-operators win every time. A few times it has been bad enough that the lone guns get mad afterward, like "Uh, you two had an alliance that's cheating"... Dude, I would have traded with you, you just thought all the trades "would help me too much", so you lost.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tai posted:

So I'm taking myself into board games since myself and my gf are bored of monopoly, Uno etc.

Planning to spend a few hundred $$ for some games and currently going for the following.

Lords of Waterdeep plus expansion (I like the gently caress you and corruption element it adds)
Dead of Winter (bit worried we'll miss out on some fun like the betrayer person since playing its only two of us)
War of the Ring (bit heavy for her to begin with so probably sit at the bottom of the pile)

We both really like the screwing with other factor via cards that war of the ring and waterdeep expansion offers but anything else worth adding to the Amazon order? I'll prob add another 2-3 games if they sound appealing to both of us.

WhiteHowler posted:

As others have said, you can definitely do better.

Here are my suggestions:

Lords of Waterdeep - Pretty mediocre game. Worker placement with a "screw you" factor can be tough. Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is designed for two players, and while there's no direct conflict, you can definitely lock your opponent out of actions they want/need.

Pandemic Legacy - Great game. In my opinion it's more fun with more players, but works perfectly well with two.

Settlers of Catan - It's okay, but lousy with two players. Definitely echoing Castles of Burgundy here. It's fantastic with two players and scales up well to three or four. You get more interesting decisions and less randomness than Catan offers.

Dead of Winter - Opinions vary, but I feel there are much better co-ops (since you wouldn't be able to use the traitor mechanic anyway with two). Want a fun, strongly-themed co-op? My group's current favorite is The Big Book of Madness.

War of the Ring - It's well-regarded, and fine if you don't mind your wargame a bit dice-y.

A couple of other games that work well for two players are Jaipur (hand management / set collection) and Tash Kalar (abstract strategy with some great "screw your opponent's plans" opportunities).

Whatever you end up with, welcome to our nerdy family!

Tash Kalar is one of my favorite games, but I wouldn't recommend going straight from Uno to Tash Kalar. Maybe if you've played Magic or Go/Weiqi/Baduk first, it would be fine. But otherwise Blokus or Santorini are better intro abstract games. Also, for trading games, Bohnanza or Chinatown is a better replacement for Settlers of Catan, since Castles of Burgundy is more of a worker placement game. Though Bohnanza and Chinatown are both still 3+ player games, like all true trading and negotiation games. If you really like that sort of screw-you take-that interaction, Coup , Tigris & Euphrates , and Citadels are good, quick games. Two-player Carcassonne can also be incredibly aggressive with the right mindset.

EDIT: Galaxy Trucker is sub-$30 on Amazon right now. If you don't own it, get it now. https://www.amazon.com/Czech-Games-A08-Galaxy-Trucker/dp/B000XLU8H6

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 3, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jmzero posted:

Every once in a while I've played Catan or CE with a mixed group of "co-operators" and "lone guns" - the co-operators win every time. A few times it has been bad enough that the lone guns get mad afterward, like "Uh, you two had an alliance that's cheating"... Dude, I would have traded with you, you just thought all the trades "would help me too much", so you lost.

You're probably right, I admit I haven't played the game in a hot minute, I just have a lot of memories of people basically handing the game to others on a silver platter due to trading. Sure, that's suboptimal play and not unique to Catan, but I don't really see that same sort of thing in games like Archipelago for whatever reason. Maybe it's just that more people bad at analyzing trades play Catan than those games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Earth Reborn is absolutely the best tactical miniatures game you can play if you have a consistently-available opponent.

Claustrophobia is the best dungeon crawler for 2 players if you want a fast, easy-to-play crawler with lots of good decisions and some randomness from the dice.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 3, 2017

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Earth Reborn is absolutely the best tactical miniatures game you can play if you have a consistently-available opponent.

Claustrophobia is the best dungeon crawler for 2 players if you want a fast, easy-to-play crawler with lots of good decisions and some randomness from the dice.

I bought Earth Reborn like a year or so ago on your recommendation and now I have a regular partner. should we just dive in on the tutorial lessons, or should we skip through some of the earlier, simpler ones?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Impermanent posted:

I bought Earth Reborn like a year or so ago on your recommendation and now I have a regular partner. should we just dive in on the tutorial lessons, or should we skip through some of the earlier, simpler ones?

You should play them all. They're all pretty good and worth it.

A word of advice: each of the scenarios is designed to highlight the importance of a certain subset of mechanics. The big one that catches people is the one on Dueling, where you interrupt and bid to stop a player's action. If you don't realize when to activate it or when to bid high, it's very easy for the scenario to become a blowout.

Just a friendly FYI. Enjoy the game, it's great (other than the setup time)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

All the Oink Games I've played rule, fave at the moment is Startups which is set collection where payout is dependent on a lot of non-majority shares being in play, so the tension is in trying to build as many majorities as possible or dropping liabilities. I mean, they're all very expensive when viewed as components, but it's small print runs in an inconvenient country. I mean if you really can't stomach it, Fake Artist is just a brilliant game you can play w/ paper and pens.

After hearing about A Fake Artist Goes to New York off and on in this thread for a while, I finally ordered it. I really did not expect the box to be so tiny and adorable. For those of you who have played Oink Games games other than Startups and Fake Artist, what are your favorites and why?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

After hearing about A Fake Artist Goes to New York off and on in this thread for a while, I finally ordered it. I really did not expect the box to be so tiny and adorable. For those of you who have played Oink Games games other than Startups and Fake Artist, what are your favorites and why?

Dungeon of Mandom was licensed and repackaged as Welcome to the Dungeon. It's a nice little push-your-luck filler. I thought Deep Sea Adventure took too long for how shallow it was and it had almost zero interesting decisions to make. My friend who owns them all particularly mentioned Troll and In a Grove as not worth replaying. On the other hand, Kobayakawa is supposed to be very good--the Oink version is more expensive but it comes with metal tokens instead of cardboard.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

homullus posted:

Goddamn it, I hadn't heard of Oink games and thanks to this thread I now need all of them.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
If you'd like to do a Catan game, and have specifically two players, Rivals of Catan is IMO a lot more fun than Settlers. Castles of Burgundy is also a very good (and quite possibly better) suggestion, but I'd play Rivals again, which is more than I can say for most Catan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

On the other hand, Kobayakawa is supposed to be very good--the Oink version is more expensive but it comes with metal tokens instead of cardboard.

Kobayakawa is good, and it's trivial to make your own copy because the entire components are 32 coins, a dealer button and 15 cards uniquely numbered 1 to 15. Here's the complete rules:

Players (3-6) start with 4 coins. Put 8 coins in the middle. Choose a dealer and give them the button.

Deal each player one card face down and turn one card - the kobayakawa - face up.

In turn from the dealer, each player chooses to either draw a card and discard one they hold face up in front of them, or replace the kobayakawa with the top card of the deck.

Put one coin from the middle into the pot (2 in the 7th and final round). This is the stake for the round.

In turn from the dealer, each player chooses to add a stake to the pot or fold. (You may still play in round 7 if you only have one coin, but you are eliminated if you lose your last coin.)

All players who bet reveal their cards. The player with the lowest card adds the kobayakawa to his score. Highest total wins the pot, ties are broken in favour of the player who acted first.

The player who won the round becomes the dealer. Repeat until the game is over.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ok lots of recommendations. Much appreciated.

I'll still be buying a bunch of games since delivery time to where we live sucks, no games/hobby stores any where remotely near us and we have a bunch of time off pretty soon to plough through them all with a few gallons of beer/wine.

So the Amazon basket is as follows so far after youtubing all evening play throughs and reviews.

Waterdeep (Mrs really wants it)
War of the ring 2nd edition
7 wonders duel
Feast of Odin (dam that looks fun)
Pandemic legacy.
Twlight struggle maybe (Mrs not convinced yet)

As to PM's/forum posts, we are looking for something with decent depth, replay ability and ideally a gently caress you factor if possible but not necessary if it means missing out on a great game. The whole dice/card throwing curve balls into the mix is something we both really like.

Dicey war games are fine like war of the ring but I have zero plans to go back to my early teenage years of warhammer out of principal of the disgusting prices GW charges for codex and miniatures.

Worker placement like LoW and Odin look fun. Never played them but after watching some game sessions on YouTube, we both like them.

We like to play against each other but coop games look like they could be a blast. Pandemic looks especially so.

Full on deck building games aren't really my thing although I play accension on my phone but that's fun just cos it's a 5 minute game. I think dominion might be a bit to heavy but I could be wrong and it's something I'll prob try out in the future.

E - terrible phone typing

Tai fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 4, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:sigh: I wish I could play Earth Reborn

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tai posted:

Full on deck building games aren't really my thing although I play accession on my phone but that's fun just cos it's a 5 minute game. I think dominion might be a bit to heavy but I could be wrong and it's something I'll prob try out in the future.
Dominion isn't particularly heavy (compared to some other stuff on your wishlist), but the theme isn't particularly strong and so it can feel a little dry. It's great if you like that sort of thing (I do).

There's a free version online you can try out too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 4, 2017

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tai posted:

Full on deck building games aren't really my thing although I play accession on my phone but that's fun just cos it's a 5 minute game. I think dominion might be a bit to heavy but I could be wrong and it's something I'll prob try out in the future.

There's a Dominion .NET WPF application somewhere on the internet, where you can play Dominion against several AIs. The AIs aren't that good, but they are a bit better than pure Big Money. On that app, Dominion games typically take 5-10 minutes unless the AI decides to spam certain attack cards (why is it programmed buy 7 militias????).

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 4, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Another recommendation post for 7 wonders duel. I love both 7 wonders and the duel version, and the latter one is an excellent 2p drafting game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tai posted:

As to PM's/forum posts, we are looking for something with decent depth, replay ability and ideally a gently caress you factor if possible but not necessary if it means missing out on a great game. The whole dice/card throwing curve balls into the mix is something we both really like.

Doubling down on my Castles of Burgundy recommendation. Tons of replayability (different boards, different token mix every game) with the element of player interaction being distinctly "gently caress you". Hate drafting animals/buildings and screwing over the turn order are the name of the game. It's dice based, but you can mitigate, so luck won't completely screw you over.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I commend someone for their ambition when they go from UNO straight to Feast for Odin.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

I commend someone for their ambition when they go from UNO straight to Feast for Odin.

It's also important to say UNO when you are down to your last viking that round.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Full on deck building games aren't really my thing although I play accension on my phone but that's fun just cos it's a 5 minute game. I think dominion might be a bit to heavy but I could be wrong and it's something I'll prob try out in the future.

If you are looking for something a bit better than Accention, but not the huge investment of Dominion you might try out Tanto Cuore. Its is only 4 sets to have the complete game (unlike Domnions dozens) and each set is self contained, so you could just buy one. Oktoberfest (the best set) is on sale with Amazon right now for a good price:
https://www.amazon.com/Japanime-Games-Tanto-Cuore-Oktoberfest/dp/B01AXEWMA8/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rutibex posted:

If you are looking for something a bit better than Accention, but not the huge investment of Dominion you might try out Tanto Cuore. Its is only 4 sets to have the complete game (unlike Domnions dozens) and each set is self contained, so you could just buy one. Oktoberfest (the best set) is on sale with Amazon right now for a good price:

Or, alternatively, don't.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

Dominion doesn't even have 1 dozen expansions; not sure where you're getting "dozens" from. Even if you count individual promos as full expansions, its still well less than two dozen,

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
what are you guys talking about im sure his wife would be pumped to play this

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Baller Ina posted:

what are you guys talking about im sure his wife would be pumped to play this

Some would, some wouldn't. :shrug: Just check out the art and if it's for you guys, go for it.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

homullus posted:

I'm gonna back up CaptainRightful's friend and agree that In a Grove takes too long for what it is. It's a compact bluffing / deduction game that just takes too long to play a true full game. Troll, on the other hand, I will recommend. It's a good mix of bluffing, and deduction, and actually fits the compact nature that you'd expect from Oink Games. I'll recommend Kobayakawa as a good distillation of poker concepts. Folks at my workplace love Deep Sea Adventure. Yes, it is a light push-your-luck game without many serious decisions. But with the right crowd, it's a good casual game to laugh at yourself and your friends' misfortunes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Punching/setting up for first game of Gloomhaven tomorrow - should I open the first six character boxes, or just leave them closed until chosen? Leaning towards opening so everyone goes in knowing what characters are what with eyes open.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Punching/setting up for first game of Gloomhaven tomorrow - should I open the first six character boxes, or just leave them closed until chosen? Leaning towards opening so everyone goes in knowing what characters are what with eyes open.

I agree - open 'em up. There's enough secret stuff, no use hiding the stuff you're allowed to see. And, yeah, give the characters a good look and make sure you like them.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Tai posted:

Haven't played LoW but hear middling things. Get Viticulture instead.
Pandemic Legacy is rad.
Catan is admittedly good times for awhile but it will ultimately go the way of Uno and Monopoly. Get Galaxy Trucker or Trains or 7 Wonders or Carcassonne or any other number of suggestions instead.
Dead of Winter in my opinion isn't nearly as bad as everyone here makes out, but it's not good for 2 people. If you are going to get it, get The Long Night rather than the base game.
War of the Ring seems crazy heavy for 2 people starting out. Instead, maybe Jaipur, Patchwork, or 7 Wonders: Duel.

ED: aaaaand I just realized you've already updated your order and everyone's already suggested everything. OH WELL

terebikun fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 4, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Tai posted:

Ok lots of recommendations. Much appreciated.

I'll still be buying a bunch of games since delivery time to where we live sucks, no games/hobby stores any where remotely near us and we have a bunch of time off pretty soon to plough through them all with a few gallons of beer/wine.

So the Amazon basket is as follows so far after youtubing all evening play throughs and reviews.

Waterdeep (Mrs really wants it)
War of the ring 2nd edition
7 wonders duel
Feast of Odin (dam that looks fun)
Pandemic legacy.
Twlight struggle maybe (Mrs not convinced yet)

Dicey war games are fine like war of the ring but I have zero plans to go back to my early teenage years of warhammer out of principal of the disgusting prices GW charges for codex and miniatures.

Worker placement like LoW and Odin look fun. Never played them but after watching some game sessions on YouTube, we both like them.

We like to play against each other but coop games look like they could be a blast. Pandemic looks especially so.

E - terrible phone typing

Patchwork and Valley of the Kings: Afterlife are really good and can be very cutthroat. They play best at 2 players and are cheap too.

Valley of the Kings plays fast and is light enough for relatively new players to the hobby.

Definitely get Pandemic Legacy.

I second the recommendation for viticulture as your introduction to worker placements over feast for Odin or Waterdeep.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Has anyone here played/heard of a game called Fast & Fhtagn? I got it in a sale and intended to give it away as a gag gift, and then never did. It looks so stupid there's no way it could be good but there's a card that says "Fin Diesel" so just maybe...

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
This has probably been covered in the not too distant past itt, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good, concise video tutorial for Forbidden Stars? My buddy and I have had it sitting on the shelf forever intimidating us, and the first time we tried to get a game going it was a real slog of trying to figure out the flow of play and whether we were doing things right or not. Hell, FFG's terrible "learn to play" and "rules reference" two-book thing is so loving bad that it made even Rodney Smith give up on making a tutorial video.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Don't have a good video on hand, but I'd like to encourage you to find one. Forbidden Stars has easily become my favourite 2 player tactical 90 minutes space strategery game. Strip Twilight Imperium (#1 in my heart always) of trading and diplomacy, simplify the teching, add an awesome card based battle engine, shorten the play length by 6-7 hours and you get forbidden stars. It's such a shame that FFG lost the warhammer licence meaning no expansions. The game begs for more races, units etc.

Why does the thread rag on Dead of Winter? I've only played it a few times, but the stories the game builds are really fun. The mechanics are maybe not amazing, but neither are they it trash imo.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Mecharasputin posted:

Don't have a good video on hand, but I'd like to encourage you to find one. Forbidden Stars has easily become my favourite 2 player tactical 90 minutes space strategery game. Strip Twilight Imperium (#1 in my heart always) of trading and diplomacy, simplify the teching, add an awesome card based battle engine, shorten the play length by 6-7 hours and you get forbidden stars. It's such a shame that FFG lost the warhammer licence meaning no expansions. The game begs for more races, units etc.

Agreed.

quote:

Why does the thread rag on Dead of Winter? I've only played it a few times, but the stories the game builds are really fun. The mechanics are maybe not amazing, but neither are they it trash imo.

Strongly disagree. The mechanisms are dull (roll dice to see if you die, draw cards, and push your luck to draw more cards if you don't get what you want) and the traitor element is piss poor. The only way the designer creates plausible deniability for the traitor is to make everyone half a traitor for... reasons. The traitor basically gets a free kick at tanking the game when the turn rotation gives them back to back turns. The only promising part was the crossroads cards, but it only comes up once or twice a game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The End posted:

The only way the designer creates plausible deniability for the traitor is to make everyone half a traitor for... reasons. The traitor basically gets a free kick at tanking the game when the turn rotation gives them back to back turns.

Even worse is that the traitor has absolutely no reason to sabotage the colony until they are going for the win. They essentially play normal for most of the game then try to go for that double turn betrayal, which is unsatisfying as gently caress for everyone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There are the pieces for a good game in that box, I think. With the right house rules, you could turn it into something pretty good, I think. I just haven't bought the game (because why would I?), so without the components in front of me, it's hard to really test anything.

I mean, all it takes to make Boss Monster bearable is a simple drafting mechanic. Something like DoW with so many promising pieces used in an unsatisfying way? It'd take work (probably basically rewriting the rules from the ground up and changing/proxying/modifying some of the cards), but I refuse to believe that you couldn't get a good game out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That's true of a lot of games, though. You could make a lot of games better by taking a sledgehammer to the rules and making them your own. Some people get a kick out of re-designing games, but I think most people just want to play the game out of the box: designing a game (and especially playtesting it) is a pretty tedious job, where you basically continually have to play a broken game until you manage to get all the issues out. I can't think of many groups that would want to go through all that effort when they can simply pick up another game that doesn't need to be fixed. Also for people that play in public group, it becomes even less viable: people want to play "Dead of Winter", not someone's homebrew, house-ruled version of "Dead of Winter".