Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I just like being rid of having to choose which party members to take somewhere based on who will say interesting stuff about it, which is always one of the more annoying parts of RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

any unused boss designs? Or unused palaces concept art?
Like Argas said, the concept art for Shido's Palace is much more elaborate than what's in the game, yeah. The concept art for Kamoshida's Palace is more like a hybrid school/dungeon than a straight up castle, too.

There's also concept art for Madarame's mansion, which you never see in the game; another version of Leblanc; the "main character's home" (before he came to Tokyo?) and a two versions of strange place called the "Shut-in's World". I'm not sure what the influences are, but to me one of them evokes the image of a study in a temple or monastery, but the floor is covered in piles of books and bags of rubbish, and the walls are lined with anime figurines. The other version is an empty bedroom with no walls or ceiling, on the roof of a building overlooking a cityscape.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 4, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Futaba is the Shut-in.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well yeah, clearly. That's how it shook out eventually. This version doesn't have any of the hacker imagery, though.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

They both clearly apply to Futaba, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Futaba obviously taps into the same themes, but I don't think the artist was thinking specifically of Futaba, as we know her, when they drew this. It looks like something Futaba came out of, but I don't think it is Futaba.

Futaba.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm assuming at some point they simply had the vague idea that one of the characters would be a shut-in, to fit the theme of teenagers who are outcasts from society in one way or another. They might not have had her name or design yet, but it was Futaba.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sounds like they 100% planned for a shut-in, nerd type character who eventually became Futaba before they decided she would be a hacker too. The anime figures/books and trash everywhere came with her. The imagery of an apartment overlooking a cityscape is a common symbol of someone completely disconnected with society, which instead became Sojiro's dark house.

e: f,b

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 4, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think we completely agree, but that sure won't stop me going to the mat over the pedantic philosophical question of whether or not the existence of Futaba precedes the essence of Futaba.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Or Le Mat. As it were.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Just beat the seventh palace

Goro is the best character

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Charlie Bobson posted:

:clegg:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Charlie Bobson posted:

:rip:

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
May his pure and innocent soul Rest In Peace forever

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Charlie Bobson posted:

my dude

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Actually Goro sucks

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Goro blows blew out his own brains.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

slev posted:

Actually Goro sucks

That's why he's the best

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Relevant:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really like goros little dance after his AoA but thats the only thing i like about him

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Akechi is a failboy who doesn't even bring good skills to the party. I had all his poo poo on better Personas already. Only as AoE-version too. Usually I bring the person who the dungeon introduces to the party, since the enemies are more often than not weak against their skills. Akechi couldn't even deliver in this regard. At least I got a good long laugh out of seeing his stupid mask for the first time. What a tryhard.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Akechi is a lot more bearable in the party if you purchased the Dancing All Night outfits. He's still a hard sell compared to Ryuji, Ann, Makoto, or Haru though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto. When your Auto-Ma buffs run out, they can refresh them all for the whole party in a single turn while Joker debilitates whatever enemy is the most threatening (or just Get His Kill On)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Yusuke not a usable party member no matter what anyone tells me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

Relevant:

What a goddamn nerd.

nuru posted:

Yusuke not a usable party member no matter what anyone tells me.

The game is not super difficult except on merciless so everyone is usable.

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
I used Yusuke in Merciless mode, and I used him in the twins' boss fight. :colbert:

He's not an optimal party member and I will never argue otherwise but also, it doesn't matter.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if you're going to sit around and hang wring about who is optimal in a persona game, that's time better spent playing a real shin megami tensei game

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So is there an actual reason Joker needs to go back home after the game? Aside from maybe 'nobody's gonna pay for his education'? Sure the cops might be watching him... but they're gonna be watching everyone.

Also I absolutely loved the Igor reveal. And then someone pointed out that when you first enter the Velvet room Igor goes, 'Welcome to MY Velvet room', which isn't the usual line. At first I had dismissed it since I thought they were going for a more brutal approach with the game and it made sense for Igor to be a bit more mean at that point.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

You know, thinking about Persona is threatening a relapse into fanfiction writing. Honestly, a Joker who decided that 'gently caress all these shitheads, if they want a ruler, I'll give them just that.' and makes a deal with Jabadabbadoo could be a good antagonist. I mean, you got the Shadow Operatives catching wind that poo poo is really strange in Tokyo, except the police and most of the population are extremely resilient and hostile against anyone trying to stop it. Investigation Team getting involved too, because of course they do. All kinds of confidants helping Joker by sabotaging them...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

So is there an actual reason Joker needs to go back home after the game? Aside from maybe 'nobody's gonna pay for his education'? Sure the cops might be watching him... but they're gonna be watching everyone.

He still has parents there and he's still a minor, basically. If his parents are like "you're coming home," then he's coming home, like it or not. (I suspect they're also not super pleased that his stint in Tokyo landed him in juvie, no matter how briefly.)

Unlike in Persona 4's protagonist, though, it doesn't seem like he has much of a life to return to there, so I suspect he'll be bouncing back to Tokyo as soon as he's out of high school. He's got the grades to get into a good Tokyo university, after all, and a place to stay any time he needs it.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like to think after everyone got back from the road trip and the new school year started up, Joker just immediately rocked back up all 'hey, I got a transfer so I can be with my real friends and my real dad.'

I always found it a little weird that you never ever hear a single thing from anyone back whereever the protagonist comes from in these games, blank slate that they may be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Plus its a standard heroes journey thing. At the end you leave the realm of the fantastic and return to the mundane, forever changed by your experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of leaving the realm of the fantastic: it's interesting to me that Persona 4 is the only one in the series so far where the alternate world continues to exist after the game is over.

Persona 1: you stop the DEVA System and Maki's ideal world merges back into the real world, which also reverses the effects on that world.

Persona 2: Nyarlathotep's defeat reverses the reality warping that caused rumors to come true.

Persona 3: sealing away Nyx ends the Dark Hour.

Persona 5: defeating Yaldabaoth destroys the Metaverse.

In Persona 4, though, the "TV World" is just a section of the collective unconscious and it doesn't go away. It stops being hosed up and you can't get to it through TVs anymore but that's it, it sticks around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can definitely still go to the TV world after P4 using TVs. Arena and DAN showed that much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can definitely still go to the TV world after P4 using TVs. Arena and DAN showed that much.

Yeah, but that's because weird poo poo started back up. If I remember correctly, being able to go into TVs again in Arena was considered a clear sign something was wrong.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think there are a couple lines in Arena about how they can pop into the TV world whenever they want - at the very least, Teddie seems to do it from time to time. Here's a random snippet from one of the story modes:

quote:

My attention drifts over to the big-screen TV

I can kinda see my face reflected in that black screen, lookin' back at me

The thing is... I could go inside there if I wanted.

It's been a while since I played the game, but I don't remember any lines saying that they can't go in there anymore. Their surprise seems to be more about the Grand Prix than anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you think Frei is pronounced "fray" or "fry"?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think there are a couple lines in Arena about how they can pop into the TV world whenever they want - at the very least, Teddie seems to do it from time to time. Here's a random snippet from one of the story modes:

It's been a while since I played the game, but I don't remember any lines saying that they can't go in there anymore. Their surprise seems to be more about the Grand Prix than anything.

Huh, maybe I was wrong about that. I seemed to remember, at least in Persona 4's ending, the team talking about how they wouldn't be able to go back in.

Pollyanna posted:

Do you think Frei is pronounced "fray" or "fry"?

I say "fray." Though I suppose if anyone knows what the katakana is for that it'd be pretty obvious how it's supposed to be pronounced.

EDIT: In katakana, it's フレイ, which is "fu-re-i," so yep, "fray."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I seem to remember it was the return of the Midnight Channel that surprised them, rather than entering the TV.

• Locked thread