Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Nobody has died, the royals are quitting because they're sick of our poo poo electing Tories.

May will crown herself empress when the election gives them an extra 10 seats and she'll try to dissolve parliament before declaring all the colonies are her personal property, including the ocean. The UK goes full crazed pariah state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's "Macron wins over French debate audience" right now?

Yeah but if I click through to an article the little sidebar one is showing me this:

which is from the weekend.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Reports from an agency in France that it is Prince Phillp that has died. Although they are likely just joining in the speculation, although they could of just the hours mixed up on the embargo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ukle posted:

Reports from an agency in France that it is Prince Phillp that has died. Although they are likely just joining in the speculation, although they could of just the hours mixed up on the embargo.

Well apparently neither BBC or any of the other big UK news orgs have turned up at the Palace so who knows? You'd assume they'd be there the moment there was even a sniff of a royal death.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well apparently neither BBC or any of the other big UK news orgs have turned up at the Palace so who knows? You'd assume they'd be there the moment there was even a sniff of a royal death.

Yeah that sounds like a false alarm to me.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah various actual people in the know seem to say its not a death. So WTF is going on. If its abdication its a very odd timing.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Prince Charles has been disinherited for shits and giggles and the Queen is abdicating in favor of Prince George.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
hello thread good morning and please remember to do a democracy today

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860011105808113664

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In the comments on Guardian Live, a journalist is specifically stating that they've not heard anything and aren't holding any news back:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/04/general-election-2017-polls-open-local-council-mayoral-politics-live

So it kind of looks like a rumour that grew legs.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

In the comments on Guardian Live, a journalist is specifically stating that they've not heard anything and aren't holding any news back:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/04/general-election-2017-polls-open-local-council-mayoral-politics-live

So it kind of looks like a rumour that grew legs.

Their was a full staff meeting called this morning that's been confirmed by a few sources, and it is unusual. But various sources are saying its not about anything of concern. Really does seem to be a rumour based on part fact and people have extrapolated dramatically from it. e.g.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/860014697839570944?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

If there is any news to be made public it will be released at 8am as that's the normal protocol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My uncle who works at the Palace says that we're getting a new Queen who can both exercise the Royal Prerogative *and* be compatible with modern liberal democracy!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If the press already know what's happened then there is no reason to be outside the palace waiting for news, they can spend that time writing and down saville row fighting over the last black tie.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my condolences to the people of this thread who may have lost one of their dear royalty

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I hope they are all dead

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like Philip :( he's the nation's slightly racist old grandpa being forced to go to places he really does not want to be by his wife, so is getting as much entertainment value out of it as possible by taking the piss in the full knowage that she cant yell at him for it in public.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

If the press already know what's happened then there is no reason to be outside the palace waiting for news, they can spend that time writing and down saville row fighting over the last black tie.

Have you watched like any news in the last 30 years? They'll run over their own grannies to be able to go live to someone standing outside somewhere where a thing happened 12 hours ago.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Queen Endorses Corbyn

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Serotonin posted:

I hope they are all dead

But then who will make the announcement?
:ghost:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

learnincurve posted:

I like Philip :( he's the nation's slightly racist old grandpa being forced to go to places he really does not want to be by his wife, so is getting as much entertainment value out of it as possible by taking the piss in the full knowage that she cant yell at him for it in public.

Slightly? Yeah racism is really funny.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

sebzilla posted:

But then who will make the announcement?
:ghost:

ME, from atop the pile of bloody corpses

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Serotonin posted:

Slightly? Yeah racism is really funny.

What's funny is that Philip is demonstrating what the Quality are really thinking behind all the smiles and platitudes. At least the old bastard's honest.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
screw those filthy eurowogs we're taking our money and going home in a huff

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/34754...ory-government/

quote:

The Sun can reveal Mrs May is drawing up a “nuclear option” of immediately ending Britain’s £18bn annual Budget payments if Brexit talks breakdown,
A "nuclear option" is to immediately halt Britain’s annual contribution to the EU budget, which we are still due to pay for the next two years until we leave in 2019.
As the UK is the second largest contributor to Brussels coffers behind only Germany, the move would wreak havoc to the EU’s spending plans.
A senior Tory source dubbed it “the nuclear option”, adding: “Ceasing our contributions is not a threat No10 want to make yet, but it has certainly been discussed”.
There were signs last night that other EU leaders were getting fed up with Mr Juncker and Selmayr’s antics and want them marginalised.
The EU’s chief negotiator Michael Barnier also undermined a withering briefing about the No10 dinner that Mrs May had last week with him and Mr Juncker.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i heard the queen said "vote for jeremy corbyn" on her deathbed

e: gently caress i'm not even the first one to make that joke

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BBC have broken their silence to say it's nothing.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

LemonDrizzle posted:

The nuclear option is doing something that ensures the EU will completely refuse to give us any deal? :what:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LemonDrizzle posted:

lol article 50 wasn't invoked that long ago and they're already talking this

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The nuclear option is doing something that ensures the EU will completely refuse to give us any deal? :what:

I expect the idea is there is the threat from the EU of no deal then this is the strongest response the UK could retaliate with.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Remember a few months ago when the foreign office was nervously shuffling its feet about how it had literally no negotiators for the brexit department with any kind of experience at negotiating huge international deals like this?

Lol.

So that's turning out well.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Note these meeting happen about once a year, but are not called in the middle of the night and asking everyone to get to in some cases to the other end of the country in 6 hours.

The way the statements not just from the BBC, but also via other royal reporters are all worded the same 'no cause for concern regarding the health of either the Queen or Prince Philip' is odd in itself, and does lead to further speculation that it involves Charles.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

charles not being king would be cool and good

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Metro article shows something that looks suspiciously like a black horse drawn hearse, if it's not total bullshit and they are just doing rehearsals for later, it's not a royal hearse. Camilla?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm going to have to phone the council to find out where to vote because apparently there isn't anywhere i can stick my postcode to find out

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Jose posted:

i'm going to have to phone the council to find out where to vote because apparently there isn't anywhere i can stick my postcode to find out

It should be on the front of your polling card. Assuming you haven't thrown it out.

Otherwise check the authority that the election is for e.g. county council website, they should have the locations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Don't think I even had a polling card actually.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They don't and I only registered to vote when the early election was called since I moved not that long ago so I'm not sure I got one. Or i threw it out because I get an obscene amount of poo poo through my letterbox from local takeaways

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I expect the idea is there is the threat from the EU of no deal then this is the strongest response the UK could retaliate with.

It's a loving stupid idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hopefully it won't come to that but it has to be a backstop option, surely?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

its going to come to that the way things are going currently

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Credible threats have to be on the same magnitude as the threat they're supposed to counter. This is more like a toddler having a tantrum in the supermarket hoping the grown ups will cave in and buy them all the sweeties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Pretty sure the last 'negotiation' attempt was Cameron walking away from the negotiating table. Who could have possibly foreseen us having no hands to play when we're not so much at the table but not even in the same room.

• Locked thread