Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda opened the trailer with the opening line of the book.

also the tower falling doesn't unleash hell, there's a void. that's a sorta generic lame change.

even though the books get worse as they go on it's kind of a shame they don't seem to have got as weird. hopefully the crimson king or someone is at least mentioned (and ends up nothing like the book). at least have him fight a giant bear with a satellite dish on its head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Groovelord Neato posted:

also the tower falling doesn't unleash hell, there's a void. that's a sorta generic lame change.

even though the books get worse as they go on it's kind of a shame they don't seem to have got as weird. hopefully the crimson king or someone is at least mentioned (and ends up nothing like the book).

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

Is that a picture of the Overlook Hotel in the scene with the earthquake in the psychologist's room?

Also Pennywise's balloons :getin:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

even though the books get worse as they go on it's kind of a shame they don't seem to have got as weird. hopefully the crimson king or someone is at least mentioned (and ends up nothing like the book). at least have him fight a giant bear with a satellite dish on its head.

I hope these are mostly trailer lines/weird chops because that seems to be catching on these days. If not yeah that's a goofy change. Also it kinda looks like they're merging (spoilers? books 1,2,3) Tull with "Jake gets Kidnapped/Slow muties" from Ludd

Also while I'm on the subject... I hope they don't do Aaron Paul for Eddie Dean if and when the sequel comes. In my mind he was always more of younger, suaver David Della Rocco sort of dude.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 3, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're also completely ditching Jake's plot from the first book and switching it out with his return in the third. You get a glimpse of the house turning into the monster from The Wasteland.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

(spoilers? books 1 and 2) Tull with "Jake gets Kidnapped/Slow muties" from Ludd

Actually Jake gets kidnapped in book 3

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
As a fan of the books and someone who digs the casting and that they arent directly adapting the books, I was really pumped but the trailer left me tepid. I still have hope.

I see parts of the first 3 books in that trailer which I'm fine with. I would personally die happy with as much book 3 stuff as possible since that had the coolest visual stuff in it. we are totally getting the living house that eats Jake from that trailer which was an amazing sequence . Does anyone know if we get eddie and susannah or is it just Jake this go around?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Actually Jake gets kidnapped in book 3

drat, you're right. Looks like it's time for another read-through. (Or possibly another go-round with that great audiobook. Frank Muller rocked the first few of those.)

Still hope we get to see Lud proper and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F89McWFENTs in an eventual second film.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 3, 2017

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Yikes. Looking forward to The Generic Tower II: Bland Harder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Febreeze posted:

As a fan of the books and someone who digs the casting and that they arent directly adapting the books, I was really pumped but the trailer left me tepid. I still have hope.

I see parts of the first 3 books in that trailer which I'm fine with. I would personally die happy with as much book 3 stuff as possible since that had the coolest visual stuff in it. we are totally getting the living house that eats Jake from that trailer which was an amazing sequence . Does anyone know if we get eddie and susannah or is it just Jake this go around?

They've said no Eddie or Susannah in this movie but if it is successful enough they'll show up in the sequel.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

This trailer makes me think they are going to make Jake the protagonist. gently caress.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Deadulus posted:

This trailer makes me think they are going to make Jake the protagonist. gently caress.

He's the pov/fish-out-of-water into Roland's world unless they're doing a split narrative but I have the feeling we'll follow him. Which makes that late book 1 event unlikely to happen, sadly.
Though maybe that's their big twist/sequel hook.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Gotta say thankee sai for making this movie.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Gotta say thankee sai for making this movie.

Did'ee come commala when you watched the trailer?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spotted in the Dark Tower trailer: Our first black President!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Did'ee come commala when you watched the trailer?

My ka-tet is big big happy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Also Pennywise's balloons :getin:

The Crimson King is Pennywise's dad, right?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

teagone posted:

:what: Almost every fan cast article casts Idris Elba in every role for every movie that's actually or potentially going to be made in the near future and it's usually followed by hundreds, if not thousands of likes, comments, etc. The guy is super popular.

Whether people care about Elba or anyone else is irrelevant. Stars no longer sell movies.

edit: Once upon a time it was Nathan Fillion who occupied this place.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I agree. But this is Idris Elba. And Matthew McConaughey.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Elba has the worst loving luck as a leading man. He had his big action movie starring break last year with The Take (aka Bastille Day) about a CIA agent tracking down terrorist bombers in Paris which got pulled on account of people in Paris being killed IRL by terrorists. He also starred in the biopic Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom which got temporarily pulled when Mandela died at the exact same time the film was premiering in London. Elba actually had to take to the stage as the credits were rolling to inform the audience of Mandela's passing.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I just want to see the lobstrosities.

Da-da-chak!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

teagone posted:

I agree. But this is Idris Elba. And Matthew McConaughey.

No body cares about either of these people that much. Even in England Elba's audience appreciation scores lower than Robb Starks which is why we never booked him to appear on the show I worked on.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

They're also completely ditching Jake's plot from the first book and switching it out with his return in the third. You get a glimpse of the house turning into the monster from The Wasteland.

I think that's a clever way of covering more territory in one go, though it probably means losing the part where Roland lets Jake die in order to reach the Man in Black, which to me was both really shocking and a really important indication of Roland's character.

I'm not digging the Man in Black much from this trailer. I don't like how he's being built up as Roland's major antagonist, even though that's true to the later books where King's like "actually these 7 guys were all the same dude"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

PriorMarcus posted:

No body cares about either of these people that much. Even in England Elba's audience appreciation scores lower than Robb Starks which is why we never booked him to appear on the show I worked on.

Graham Norton is about as watchable as a wet fart, mostly because he's far enough up his guests asses to be one.

Did I guess right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PriorMarcus posted:

But you have enough respect for Idris Elba to refer to him by his surname.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Somehow, I hope they fit in a version of the Palaver at Golgotha and the flashback of Roland's rite of passage.

"I chose David!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Elba has the worst loving luck as a leading man. He had his big action movie starring break last year with The Take (aka Bastille Day) about a CIA agent tracking down terrorist bombers in Paris which got pulled on account of people in Paris being killed IRL by terrorists. He also starred in the biopic Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom which got temporarily pulled when Mandela died at the exact same time the film was premiering in London. Elba actually had to take to the stage as the credits were rolling to inform the audience of Mandela's passing.

Man, I hope realities won't die near the movie's release.

Maybe he will get lucky and Stephen King dies!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I think that's a clever way of covering more territory in one go, though it probably means losing the part where Roland lets Jake die in order to reach the Man in Black, which to me was both really shocking and a really important indication of Roland's character.

As this is meant to be the final iteration of the story, as per King's tweet last year, maybe that is intended: we get the bridge scene, only he saves him this time? Maybe we get a flashback/dream sequence of the previous encounter when he didn't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

teagone posted:

But you have enough respect for Idris Elba to refer to him by his surname.

I've never met him, he seems cool. Though respect won't translate to ticket sales.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I love 'im

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dillbag posted:

Did I guess right?

Missed this reply... and yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Somehow, I hope they fit in a version of the Palaver at Golgotha and the flashback of Roland's rite of passage.

"I chose David!"

There was a thing last year where they were rumored to be pushing all the flashback stuff to a TV show that will air between the movies and will cover young Roland.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Is this the Idris Elba thread now? Shame he peaked too soon. Ultraviolet is 90s as gently caress but still the 2nd best thing he has ever been in. I doubt it's streaming anywhere but I think someone put the whole thing on YouTube.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't even remember Elba being in Ultraviolet and I loving love Ultraviolet.

Seriously this loving movie is art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJfZqXsKMA

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I did the exact same thing, and checked. He's not in that Ultraviolet but in a miniseries of the same name released a decade earlier.
(The Wimmer UV is junk)

e: since it's the thread for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WpQFckjQs

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 4, 2017

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

not the poo poo movie, the awesome tv show.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

I did the exact same thing, and checked. He's not in that Ultraviolet but in a miniseries of the same name released a decade earlier.
(The Wimmer UV is junk)

CARBON BULLETS
RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS
SOLAR RADIATION

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've never seen the movie, but I challenge anyone to show me a scene of Milla from this movie where she isnt showing off her midriff. From what I can tell she has like 4-5 different outfits and they're all like that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Elba was cool in Ghost Rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

(The Wimmer UV is junk)

Holy moly that ad is bad, just watch the show instead.

• Locked thread