Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
My R9 290 purchase was probably one of the smartest PC hardware purchases I have ever made, it's now 3 years later and I could still make like 3/4 of what I paid for it back on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

My R9 290 purchase was probably one of the smartest PC hardware purchases I have ever made, it's now 3 years later and I could still make like 3/4 of what I paid for it back on ebay.

Yeah I bought like six R9 290 for $180 each that moment miners were panic selling the cards, and they all went back up by over $100 each by the time I flipped them on SA Mart.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I remember the frenzy when the used market hit $400 and long discussions about reliability of buttcoin cards then they tanked super hard after that and nobody cared anymore just but buy buy lol

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
400 is real high compared to how low they got. I remember when retail was forced to adapt to the used market killing all sales and you could get new 290s for 200 dollars. I almost bought one to upgrade my 680 but decided to wait for a 980 to launch. The lucky thing is that the cards were well designed enough that the 6 months to a year of 24/7 load ended up having no significant detriment to life so people picking up used 290s in the 100 range back when the choice was between a 680 for 450 or a 290 for 150 got amazing deals.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'll give AMD that, all the resold mining cards did hold up to the abuse very well, like people buying them third-hand didn't really have any more failures than usual. It probably helped that most miners were undervolting them instead of overvolting.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Lower electricity bills = more profit!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more heat = drier strawberries!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

LOL

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While silly as hell, that is also sort of awesome lol.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EdEddnEddy posted:

as awesome as getting heat stroke

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

The idea of reusing heat from computers is pretty awesome.

Dusty-rear end rigberries are not.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paul MaudDib posted:

The idea of reusing heat from computers is pretty awesome.

Dusty-rear end rigberries are not.

He set them on air filters like alton brown did in his dried fruit episode.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I feel like there is a market for a water-cooling heat exchanger/radiator that has a slot for fruit drying racks that the fans push air through. Definitely kickstarter bait

I'll… start the wiki??

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I feel like there is a market for a water-cooling heat exchanger/radiator that has a slot for fruit drying racks that the fans push air through. Definitely kickstarter bait

I'll… start the wiki??

Maybe if its thunderbolt and is aimed at the mac crowd.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Alton at least sandwiched his jerky with air filters.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

Was Alton Brown running his air across a series of closely-spaced metal plates to increase the surface area of his heating element?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

as awesome as getting heat stroke

This looks like it is a little more prepared, not setup in some one room apartment and falling sleep with the A/C broken.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
[sketch of GPU steam generator labeled FREE ENERGY]

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So Palit/Gainward tried a thing on their GameRock/Phoenix 1080tis with two pairs of counter-rotating fans.
To everyone's surprise, transferring the concept behind air raid sirens or Soviet combat helicopters to a graphics card was a very bad idea.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how did they let that get past the initial prototype????

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

So Palit/Gainward tried a thing on their GameRock/Phoenix 1080tis with two pairs of counter-rotating fans.
To everyone's surprise, transferring the concept behind air raid sirens or Soviet combat helicopters to a graphics card was a very bad idea.

It's not as bad as founders edition though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ihmemies posted:

I looked at Techpowerup's review of the Palit GameRock one and it's all of one DP less under load, so basically just as bad as the FE as far as noise goes.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

wargames posted:

bitcoin:

alton brown:

quote:

Lay 1 (14 by 14-inch) plastic dehydrator sheet on 1 of the air-conditioning filters. Place the fruit on the plastic dehydrator sheet and cover with another plastic sheet. Repeat this process with remaining plastic sheets and two more filters, stacking on top of the first one. Top these with the remaining empty filter.

dusty strawberries

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
3 Vega SKUs, with the slowest being faster than a 1070 and the fastest equalling the 1080ti. Huge pinch of salt needed.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
pls compete with the 1080 Ti so I can get that level of performance for less money

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Any chance or risk of buttcoin miners snapping up the Vega cards after they finally release?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No, polaris cards are much better for that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I want the Vega leak to be true so badly. I really, really want AMD to be for real competitive, despite being almost strictly Intel/nVidia for my entire life. So I'm hoping for a win. What I'm expecting is the fastest card to barely hit 1080 speeds or the 1080Ti competitor to use like 4 billion watts.

Don't screw it up AMD. Again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The second screenshot is fake. Time Spy calculates the overall score by 1/((0.85/graphics score)+(0.15/cpu score)), so the score should be 9814 rather than 9753.

Page 22: http://s3.amazonaws.com/download-aws.futuremark.com/3DMark_Technical_Guide.pdf

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 4, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

These are confirmed absolutely fake btw. They're simple source view edits of scores from a 1070 and a 1080ti to change the name for the screenshot. People on r/AMD even found the original results that were edited.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

I just got a 1080ti FE and it's the quietest blower I've ever had... It is somehow far quieter under load than the EVGA 1080 SC dual fan cooler I just switched out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'd hate to be a marketing guy in the cpu/gpu business. Talk about a rock and a tiger trap.

It is funny though watching all the speculation and flame wars that pop up every time another faked set of specs shows up.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BurritoJustice posted:

These are confirmed absolutely fake btw. They're simple source view edits of scores from a 1070 and a 1080ti to change the name for the screenshot. People on r/AMD even found the original results that were edited.

Ah good, my huge pinch of salt wasn't wasted then!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

I just got a 1080ti FE and it's the quietest blower I've ever had... It is somehow far quieter under load than the EVGA 1080 SC dual fan cooler I just switched out.

Have you checked to see if it's throttling? From what I've heard, the fan won't go over 50% ever and that will cause it to throttle. Putting the fan to 80% would be obnoxiously loud.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Have you checked to see if it's throttling? From what I've heard, the fan won't go over 50% ever and that will cause it to throttle. Putting the fan to 80% would be obnoxiously loud.

That might be the case, I'll check into that. Yeah I did set it to 100% last night just to see and got a dirty look from my boyfriend in the next room over.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Zero VGS posted:

That might be the case, I'll check into that. Yeah I did set it to 100% last night just to see and got a dirty look from my boyfriend in the next room over.
Hah that's pretty funny, it must be like hair-dryer loud if he's bothered by it in the next room. Reminds me of this classic

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
To be fair, though, that very well could be how vega ends up.

Vega Pro Duo, Vega Pro, and Vega where, obviously, its 2x, 1x, and die cut enough to be just above the 1070 where the voltage is cranked up to enormous levels and the duo has like a 350W tdp or something

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
i'll say this much, the Nvidia reference blower is leagues quieter than the RX 480 blower even when it is cooling 100 watts more. The RX 480 blower is just total rattly garbage, I took it off and put on a passive GPU cooler and strapped a single 140mm fan to that and was able to run it overclocked in complete silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

i'll say this much, the Nvidia reference blower is leagues quieter than the RX 480 blower even when it is cooling 100 watts more. The RX 480 blower is just total rattly garbage, I took it off and put on a passive GPU cooler and strapped a single 140mm fan to that and was able to run it overclocked in complete silence.

Yeah when the pcie-power-gate or whatever was going down there were a lot more detailed breakdowns of that piece of poo poo cooler than there would ever be otherwise. It's ... special