Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

liquid courage posted:

Speaking of PS1s, is it even worth replacing a disc drive/mod chipping one at this point? It's my favorite console and I'd like to be able to grab the few imports that look interesting but it seems like something that's a pain in the rear end and I'd like the disc drive to last more than a few years.

I grabbed a random one years ago at a Goodwill, mainly because I didn't have any dual shocks with my original PS1 and this one had two bundled with it. I decided to mod that one, since I figured leave my OG one untouched since I had no idea how to solder. It actually is in really good shape. And I'm sure that there are enough floating around out there that have decent drives still. Wear and tear usually presents itself clearly enough on the outside, so there's no point in taking it apart to know it should be worth a gamble. It's like how you just need to see the back of most fat PS2s and Xboxs, the webbing of dust near the fans, to know to pass on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I've got a PSIO, and while I'm glad that it's not dead, I still can't recommend it. Especially when you consider the price and how hard it is to get right now.

I had almost written it off for dead last summer when the guy making/selling them had a falling out with the guy who designed and wrote the software for them. But recently (last week) an update came out that actually fixed a whole bunch of games, and he's got another update in the works that fixes a bunch more. The only real major problem left is an audio problem that affects, among other games, SOTN. That fix will require FPGA programming, and so far all the updates are in the ARM code. It's yet to be seen if whoever is making these latest updates knows their way around FPGA programming.

Once (IF) that gets fixed, it should be drat near 100% compatible, and anyone interested should probably pick one up.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I recently replaced my PS1 laser with a Chinese knockoff from ebay and it's like night and day compared to my old failing original laser. Super easy to swap over too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Idiot question time: If I got a Toro box for my Dreamcast, I just need a generic male-to-male EuroSCART cable to go to my Framemeister, right?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xenomrph posted:

Idiot question time: If I got a Toro box for my Dreamcast, I just need a generic male-to-male EuroSCART cable to go to my Framemeister, right?

Yep. Make sure it's fully pinned however. Some sellers cheap out on it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep. Make sure it's fully pinned however. Some sellers cheap out on it.
Any suggestions on reputable sellers? I was initially poking around on eBay but I'm afraid of that being a lawless wasteland of garbage products and wasted time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Any suggestions on reputable sellers? I was initially poking around on eBay but I'm afraid of that being a lawless wasteland of garbage products and wasted time.

Retro_console_accessories is where I tend to get my cables. On occasion she has the cable up for sale. You could contact her and ask when she'll put up another batch.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I could be wrong, but Behar Bros also sells Sony branded SCART cables along side their products that I assume would work just fine if they are advertising it with the Toro.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alucardd posted:

I could be wrong, but Behar Bros also sells Sony branded SCART cables along side their products that I assume would work just fine if they are advertising it with the Toro.
They do, but they appear to be sold out:

https://www.goshopier.com/ShowProduct/show_product.php?id=26892

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Oops didn't click that far.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Retro_console_accessories is where I tend to get my cables. On occasion she has the cable up for sale. You could contact her and ask when she'll put up another batch.

I picked up my Toro box cable from them and would definitely recommend doing the same. They do great work at a reasonable price, and I find that if you ask about a specific type of cable, a batch of those cables will suddenly appear on their shop a few days later.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

She seems to make obscure cables somewhat on demand. I asked about a Genesis rgb to bnc cable, 24 hours later one appeared and she responded with a link to it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll send them a message later today.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Retro console accessories are awesome but when I asked her about making a Jaguar scart cable she said she doesn't do those :smith: that's okay though I still buy p much all my other cables from her.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

worthless. posted:

Retro console accessories are awesome but when I asked her about making a Jaguar scart cable she said she doesn't do those :smith: that's okay though I still buy p much all my other cables from her.
Did you end up getting a Jaguar scart cable somewhere else? The Jaguar is on my short-list of consoles I'd like to get in the near future.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Man if we're going to have serious talk about Jaguar collecting none of you are allowed to poo poo talk the CDi and 3DO ever again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Jaguar had an AvP game, I'm legally obligated to play it on original hardware. :colbert:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Caitlin posted:

Man if we're going to have serious talk about Jaguar collecting none of you are allowed to poo poo talk the CDi and 3DO ever again.

Jaguar:
Tempest 2000
AvP

CDi:
uhhh the zeldas, ironically?

3DO:
Way of the Warrior, ironically?
...Zhadnost?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Jaguar:
Tempest 2000
AvP

CDi:

3DO:
...Zhadnost?

I heard that the 3DO Road Rash is good

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Spoderman posted:

I heard that the 3DO Road Rash is good

I was trying for exclusives, otherwise I'd include Return Fire and maybe Gex (ironically)

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
3do had tons of great games, that were ported away and made better.

Very few exclusives left are worth playing. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed Killing Time (pc version is same in names only) and Way of the Warrior.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn't the 3DO get a port of Doom? As a shameless Doom fanboy who owns a copy of Doom on pretty much every other platform, I'd almost be tempted to waste money on a 3DO just to play Doom.

Almost.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
jaguar 3do and cdi are all different shades of ironygaming and casting aspersions on one while favoring another is a fool's move

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Didn't the 3DO get a port of Doom? As a shameless Doom fanboy who owns a copy of Doom on pretty much every other platform, I'd almost be tempted to waste money on a 3DO just to play Doom.

Almost.

I have it, it has a really nice remixed soundtrack but it runs like poo poo. You have to reduce the window size to the smallest so that it can run almost okay. It makes the US Saturn port look like DOOM 2016.

Still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F55JwkePIo

There are very very very few good 3DO games that are exclusive. When it first came out it actually had a lot of definitive takes on various series along with some cool original games, but they all soon got better ports elsewhere. Even in genres you wouldn't expect, like for a while if you didn't have an arcade near you the 3DO had the best versions of Samurai Shodown and (only port of) Super Street Fighter IIX.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Can I just make fun of all three groups? I'll also make fun of Virtual Boy collectors but that's more of "a fool and his money" situation.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Jaguar:
Tempest 2000
AvP

The PC port of Tempest 2000 is good and thus eliminates any need for anyone to get a Jaguar for it.

AvP isn't that good and mainly stands as a respectable attempt at an early console FPS that also happens to have a popular license. Play one of the other AvP games instead.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Jaguar:
Tempest 2000
AvP

CDi:

3DO:
...Zhadnost?

My grandpa loved playing Pebble Beach Golf Links on the 3DO with us. He almost considered buying one because of it. And Twisted was fun too.

And then Need For Speed came out, and that was all we played ever on our 3DO.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wasn't Pebble Beach Golf Links basically the same as the Saturn game of the same name (by the same dev), but with different (and, personally, inferior) music?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Can I just make fun of all three groups? I'll also make fun of Virtual Boy collectors but that's more of "a fool and his money" situation.

The PC port of Tempest 2000 is good and thus eliminates any need for anyone to get a Jaguar for it.

AvP isn't that good and mainly stands as a respectable attempt at an early console FPS that also happens to have a popular license. Play one of the other AvP games instead.

I completely forgot a PC port existed for Tempest 2000. But yeah, I was just kinda trying to joke that Jaguar is King Garbage of poo poo Mountain in that it had at least a pair of passably decent games while the other two kinda didn't. Though as noted by others, the 3DO had a lot of ports at the time that were great, they just got superseded fairly quickly (or I guess ported ad-infinitum if you wanna count Star Control 2). So if you go outside my "exclusives" list, I'd probably say the 3DO is...most....worth...it... god that doesn't sound right at all

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well you can shove a 3DO Blaster into an old DOS PC and play both 3DO games and DOS games. Can't do that sort of thing with a CD-i or Jaguar!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Wasn't Pebble Beach Golf Links basically the same as the Saturn game of the same name (by the same dev), but with different (and, personally, inferior) music?

Probably, to quote above me...

Neo Rasa posted:

There are very very very few good 3DO games that are exclusive. When it first came out it actually had a lot of definitive takes on various series along with some cool original games, but they all soon got better ports elsewhere. Even in genres you wouldn't expect, like for a while if you didn't have an arcade near you the 3DO had the best versions of Samurai Shodown and (only port of) Super Street Fighter IIX.

I had one before PSX and Saturn came out, so superior versions weren't even an option or a thought in my mind.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fair enough.

I will say, though, as far as "3DO games that got superior ports to other consoles" goes, its copy of Need for Speed remains the only one with the X-Man. Whether his absence is part of what makes other versions superior, or his presence makes the 3DO version the one to get, I'll leave up to everyone else.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Xenomrph posted:

Did you end up getting a Jaguar scart cable somewhere else? The Jaguar is on my short-list of consoles I'd like to get in the near future.

Yeah I got one from gamesnow on ebay. It works fine.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not worth it for older model PS1's due to the mechanism being so close to the power supply that it will just melt again. Not a problem with SCPH-5500 and up models and should last.
The mod chip or the cd drive replacement? Also, what about the slim PS1/PSOne?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

liquid courage posted:

The mod chip or the cd drive replacement? Also, what about the slim PS1/PSOne?

Drive replacement. The housing and rails were plastic and would warp from the heat from the nearby power supply. The later models moved the drive to the other side and replaced some parts with metal to avoid the issue. PSOne is fine, modchip wise, I'm not sure if they have a full stealth modchip or not.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Xenomrph posted:

The Jaguar had an AvP game, I'm legally obligated to play it on original hardware. :colbert:

I assume you've played Capcom's Alien vs. Predator and Konami’s Aliens in the arcade, then.

How about Aliens for the MSX and Famicom Disk System?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I'm taking a 12 hour flight next Wednesday, what are some good cheap gameboy games to bring? I found my old GB pocket but don't have any games. And my 3ds lasts like 15 minutes between charges.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get a USB battery and a USB->Nintendo cable?

Otherwise, Pokemans.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 5, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rock My Socks! posted:

I'm taking a 12 hour flight next Wednesday, what are some good cheap gameboy games to bring? I found my old GB pocket but don't have any games. And my 3ds lasts like 15 minutes between charges.

TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Official Crash Bandicoot Aku Aku shirt gives a canon spelling to what that mask yells when collected

:siren: OODIBIGAH :siren:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/changes-mens-graphic-print-t-shirt?ID=4626604&CategoryID=30423

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kid Fenris posted:

I assume you've played Capcom's Alien vs. Predator and Konami’s Aliens in the arcade, then.

How about Aliens for the MSX and Famicom Disk System?

Capcom's AvP was everywhere back in the day, I think about 3 places in my area had it in rotation.

• Locked thread