Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

She panicked in my last playthrough and would never calm down, and this was with the fan patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Vargatron posted:

I forgot how stupid low level AD&D combat was, but now I'm smooth sailing after the Nashkel Mines. Bard was a terrible idea so I got another character that's actually useful.

The group of assassins you fight above the exit to the mines is definitely the difficulty high point of BG1 for me. I died there so many times as a kid.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Were thieves in actual 2EAD&D as bad as thieves in the Baldurs gate series? (Trap cheese notwithstanding)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

Were thieves in actual 2EAD&D as bad as thieves in the Baldurs gate series? (Trap cheese notwithstanding)

Pretty much. The only difference is that thieves in the actual tabletop game leveled EVEN FASTER. Each class had its own table of experience bonuses like the scribe scroll gains in BG2, and thieves benefited strongly from theirs.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

Pretty much. The only difference is that thieves in the actual tabletop game leveled EVEN FASTER. Each class had its own table of experience bonuses like the scribe scroll gains in BG2, and thieves benefited strongly from theirs.

Was there a Thac0 cap in tabletop? Thieves finishing with 1 APR and 10 THAC0 is just sad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arivia posted:

It was part of 2E's idea of game balance. Explicitly weaker classes, like fighters and thieves, leveled much faster than stronger classes (i.e. spellcasters).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Also if you were strictly playing by the most original rear end rules, 9th level fighters had the opportunity to bring along:

- A 7th level Leader
- up to 120 level 0 troops
- 10-30 level 1/2 fighters or 1/1 elven mage-fighters.

Which is quite a lot more useful than an extra half attack or whatever they got in BG.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just feel like you're not given the tools to handle a lot of the lower level encounters. Once you hit around level 4 things really start taking off. If you let a caster get off something like fear or confuse, it basically fucks the whole party up.

It could just be that I'm not good at the game, but it's not really fun when a kobold one shots a caster in the back row with a regular bow and arrow.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I just feel like you're not given the tools to handle a lot of the lower level encounters. Once you hit around level 4 things really start taking off. If you let a caster get off something like fear or confuse, it basically fucks the whole party up.

It could just be that I'm not good at the game, but it's not really fun when a kobold one shots a caster in the back row with a regular bow and arrow.
Bard is a particularly weak choice, but even for them you can cast Armor to seriously mitigate kobold shots; so long as you have 18 dex that'll put you pretty close to AC 0.

john donne
Apr 10, 2016

All suitors of all sorts themselves enthral;

So on his back lies this whale wantoning,

And in his gulf-like throat, sucks everything

That passeth near.
I am having a weird issue where in both BG:EE and BG2:EE whenever I create a new Shaman character, its XP is set to -1, its HP is 0/0, and it has no spells. As soon as it interacts with combat in any way, the game crashes. What's up?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You running any mods?

john donne
Apr 10, 2016

That passeth near.
Completely clean installation!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The game is warning you not to play Shaman.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Did you buy it on Steam or Beamdog? I'll see if I can repeat the bug on my Steam version.

e: works fine for me. Have you tried verifying game cache?

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 30, 2017

john donne
Apr 10, 2016

That passeth near.
I have, as well as uninstalled-and-then-reinstalled, no dice. I wonder if the game is keeping some weird moddy stuff around outside the install directory? Either way, it seems like I can resolve it via EEKeeper.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

john donne posted:

I have, as well as uninstalled-and-then-reinstalled, no dice. I wonder if the game is keeping some weird moddy stuff around outside the install directory? Either way, it seems like I can resolve it via EEKeeper.

Were it me, I'd uninstall, delete any folders in my documents tied to the install and reinstall to a diff directory.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Were it me, I'd uninstall, delete any folders in my documents tied to the install and reinstall to a diff directory.

Yeah unless you've done this it isn't a "clean install".

IIRC there's a weird not-in-the-install-path set of files in the steam version, including the override folder

john donne
Apr 10, 2016

That passeth near.
Well, that's definitely it then. How silly that you have to manually uninstall a game in 2017!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

In the grand scheme of things, how do druids compare versus clerics in BG1 and 2? Sorry to keep bringing this up but I was hot garbage at the game back in the day and all this mechanical stuff is very interesting to me now.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Single class druids are ok. They have very good level 5/6/7 spells, but before they get those they're not great and they're limited to leather armor.

Fighter/druids are excellent tanks. They have no armor restrictions and they can still use ironskins.

e: forgot to say they don't get remove fear, protection from evil 10' and lesser restoration (though they can cast that spell from scrolls) so you'll still want a cleric

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 2, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

Single class druids are ok. They have very good level 5/6/7 spells, but before they get those they're not great and they're limited to leather armor.

Fighter/druids are excellent tanks. They have no armor restrictions and they can still use ironskins.

e: forgot to say they don't get remove fear, protection from evil 10' and lesser restoration (though they can cast that spell from scrolls) so you'll still want a cleric

It's too bad the kits aren't great, especially the shapeshifter.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Smashing Link posted:

It's too bad the kits aren't great, especially the shapeshifter.

Avenger isn't bad if you want a pure caster type. Mind you, you'd have to make your main character one or do some other editing tomfoolery since there aren't any (non-mod) NPCs that are of that class.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

john donne posted:

Well, that's definitely it then. How silly that you have to manually uninstall a game in 2017!

It's a bit odd on the surface but an understated draw of Steam is being able to uninstall games and then be able to come back to them later with either cloud saves or saved games outside of the game directory.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Single class druids are a mediocre class in BG1. They're casters, so they're not garbage, but they're the worst pure caster class. They're a lot better in BG2 once they get past their horrible giant level 13 xp slog (thanks, insane AD&D rules).

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The horrible level 13 slog on a multi takes like 6million xp iirc, which you'll reach about 7/10ths in to the whole saga.

The Druid kits aren't really all that good so if you can put up with dual classing is a pretty decent idea. Berserker works nicely with a very tanky Druid (Berserker works well with anything – immunity to status afflictions is worth so much in this game).

The main advantage of the Druid over a Priest in terms of tanking is that they get Iron Skins, which is basically Stoneskin. I think the devs messed up when they were coding the game and gave Iron Skins a cast time of 10 rather than 1. If you're familiar with DLTCEP it's not a hard fix to go in to the game files and turn it back to 1.

I'd probably still go for a Multi though as they're very good tanks for most of the game and you'll get the really nice fighter HLAs towards the end of the game. The unnerfed versions of Insect Swarm and Nature's Beauty that don't allow saves are insane (SCS nerfs them).

Comedy option is to go for the improved shapeshifting component in the BG Tweak Pack.

I wouldn't say Druids are the worst pure casters – that honour goes to the Shaman.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the deal with the level 13 requirement? Don't druids become the leader of the circle at 14 or something?

My problem is that I like playing around with classes too much and don't actually progress through the story. Sword and board warrior is actually fun though. I'm murdering things with Mace mastery and I have like -5 AC at level 6.

In other news I'm realizing the value of spell piercing and potions now that I've faced Davaeorn again. That guy is a super dick with Dimension Door.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Druid levels represent getting promoted within the ranks of the druid super-organisation and you can only have a fixed number of druids of a certain rank, so eventually to level up you need to Druid Fight Club your way to the next rank.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

What's the deal with the level 13 requirement? Don't druids become the leader of the circle at 14 or something?

My problem is that I like playing around with classes too much and don't actually progress through the story. Sword and board warrior is actually fun though. I'm murdering things with Mace mastery and I have like -5 AC at level 6.

In other news I'm realizing the value of spell piercing and potions now that I've faced Davaeorn again. That guy is a super dick with Dimension Door.

I'm pretty sure that any decent Archer with Haste and some +2 Arrows are pretty good against him. I'm working my way through again and haven't gotten quite that far yet so I can't be sure.

This run I went for a Half-Elf Dragon Disciple with 18 Con. Just got the tome of Constitution and the level 5 bump to get me up to 20 Constitution so I have natural regeneration. This should be a fun run.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 2, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The problem with Druids is that Cleric/Rangers exist (yeah I know it was fixed in the EE but I don't have those so C/R supremacy all day every day).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I used spell thrust a couple of times on him and that really helped to soften him up. Coran and Kivan kept him interrupted and I tried keeping my crew spread out so fireball wouldn't gib my casters. Chant and bless were good buffs for the saving throw bonuses.

I kind of hate prebuffing on some encounters, but it's better than turning the difficulty down.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Entropy238 posted:

I wouldn't say Druids are the worst pure casters – that honour goes to the Shaman.

Yeah, true, I forgot shamans weren't a druid kit.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I used spell thrust a couple of times on him and that really helped to soften him up. Coran and Kivan kept him interrupted and I tried keeping my crew spread out so fireball wouldn't gib my casters. Chant and bless were good buffs for the saving throw bonuses.

I kind of hate prebuffing on some encounters, but it's better than turning the difficulty down.

use scs and then your opponents will do it too ;)

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I usually give it a couple of tries with gimp tactics (Archers, wands, traps) then if those don't work I will put in the effort and pre-buff. But that is a pretty challenging encounter so it's probably worth it to do it right.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000
Am I the only person who would have Jaheira, a druid, summon a fire elemental and then just send that elemental off screen to wipe out entire maps of enemies who didn't have magical weapons and thus couldn't hurt the elemental? It was a gimmick that was quickly squashed sometime in BG2 (definitely by ToB) when enemies began regularly carrying magic weapons but until that point it was an easy way to cheese even the largest fights. I think it was a viable tactic in a few later scenarios, too, such as the big vampire lair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Kevbo posted:

Am I the only person who would have Jaheira, a druid, summon a fire elemental and then just send that elemental off screen to wipe out entire maps of enemies who didn't have magical weapons and thus couldn't hurt the elemental? It was a gimmick that was quickly squashed sometime in BG2 (definitely by ToB) when enemies began regularly carrying magic weapons but until that point it was an easy way to cheese even the largest fights. I think it was a viable tactic in a few later scenarios, too, such as the big vampire lair.

I mostly used her for "oh god, not the bees, not the bees" spam, but that's a good tactic also.

Druids major problem is so few good lower level spells, and a lot of chafe. What the gently caress is the point of good berries?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Fire elemental cheese still works against beholders (they don't use spells against summons), and is my go-to "strategy" if I want to do the unseeing eye quest before I buy the shield of Balduran.

Good berries are pretty useful when you don't want to starve to death but the BG games didn't implement the need to eat. Similarly infravision is amazing but in BG it's useless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Suspicious posted:

Fire elemental cheese still works against beholders (they don't use spells against summons), and is my go-to "strategy" if I want to do the unseeing eye quest before I buy the shield of Balduran.

Good berries are pretty useful when you don't want to starve to death but the BG games didn't implement the need to eat. Similarly infravision is amazing but in BG it's useless.

I totally see the point in PnP games, but they're a dumb rear end inclusion for the computer game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'm guessing they were trying to add as much as they could and a lot of things were cut before release.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there any reasonable explanation or fix for why Planescape Enhanced is super duper pixelated? I fired up the original on GOG, and if you zoom in to the level that the original is displayed at, the game looks like it's from super nintendo era. Of course zoomed out it looks fine, but i'd hardly call it a graphical improvement because I can get better graphic fidelity just using the original plus widescreen mod. The other released enhanced editions don't seem to have this issue.

Edit: nevermind, using the "compatible renderer" makes it smooth and much less pixelated. Nice!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Alora is so :3: and Marek dropped both a +2 shortbow AND dagger for her whenever I did the Lothander and Marek quest. The only thing that doesn't make sense is why she has Two Weapon specialization with only 8 strength. Really good thief though.