Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

catlord posted:

I was wondering about alternate starts or something and it occurred to me, has anybody done an alternate history mod that's not Lux Invicta? Something less... intensive than that one I was thinking.

Did Ofaloaf ever release the mod he made for GothLP? That might be up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Did Ofaloaf ever release the mod he made for GothLP? That might be up your alley.

Yes. It's in the second post.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Something changed between 2.7.0.x and 2.7.1 to make a custom decision with the following potential clause not show up any more:

code:
	spawn_aztecs = {
#		is_high_prio = yes
		potential = {
			ai = no
			not = { has_global_flag = aztec_explorers }
		}
		allow = {
			ai = no
		}
And hell if I know why it isn't showing up. I have a small mini-mod that has a bunch of decisions in it for when I feel like creating chaos, and that one no longer shows up in 2.7.1.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So what's the difference between Benedictines and Dominicans, and why would you ever want to take a vow of celibacy?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quadrophrenic posted:

Why would you ever want to take a vow of celibacy?

Inheritance reasons.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Celibacy is totally useful for controlling succession, especially if you have gavelkind. Pop out your genius strong heir, hey I'm all set here celibacy.

Then they die but the game fortunately crashes right then.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Oh poo poo, I had completely forgotten about that. That's a great LP. Has it been patched up for M&M?

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 4, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

When M&M finally hit, I sat down to grab the last of my time based achievements, 867.Eventually went with the guy who owns Mecca at the start, because I hadn't really done a muslim game before so why not? Figured I'd spend a few hundred years tooling around under the Abbasids, grab a few achievements from M&M, call it a day. Standard stuff...

Ok, well, sometimes you just end up taking over the middle east and persia. It happens right?

Also sometimes you convert it all to Shia, life goes on, yada yada.

I took a glance outside the immediate area for the first time in a good long while, the east is your pretty standard border gore hellscape.

...and then you get to Europe...

It's gonna be an interesting 400 years :v:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a "right way" to deal with the Mongol invasion? Because I'm pretty sure my "feed the maw of doom until it grows tired" strategy was the wrong way!

still worked though

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 5, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

Is there a "right way" to deal with the Mongol invasion? Because I'm pretty sure my "feed the maw of doom until it grows tired" strategy was the wrong way!

[spoilers]still worked though[/spoiler]

No that's pretty much how you do it. Your troops recover, the event spawned hordes don't. All you can do is whittle them down over time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Switched to Zoroastrianism which has the unfortunate side effect of changing the inheritance to gavelkind and my already gouty king just caught consumption.

Which will of course mean that my realm will be torn apart when he dies which is soon.

The Abbasids also just invaded and I'm considering swearing fealty to them, maybe even falsely converting and then destroying them from within to eventually form the Persian empire.'

e:
Now he's got Smallpox as well.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 5, 2017

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No that's pretty much how you do it. Your troops recover, the event spawned hordes don't. All you can do is whittle them down over time.

Yeah and try to bait them into attacking across rivers and such. You're gonna lose territory no matter what.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah and try to bait them into attacking across rivers and such. You're gonna lose territory no matter what.

I defeated them without letting them take a single county. :smug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I started as the Petty King of Semien. Three years in, I got the Chess with Death event, and died without an heir. I was 21.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I have never been able to get a semien start to work

What's the secret, besides not getting the chess with death event

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I did swear fealty to Abyssinia in order to start, falsely converted, and was planning to start a secret cult before that happened.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well, I did swear fealty to Abyssinia in order to start, falsely converted, and was planning to start a secret cult before that happened.

That's what you get for worshiping false idols.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I get the immortality event chain like every other game, and have never once seen chess with death. What gives?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

quadrophrenic posted:

It's easier now that you can falsely convert. Before you still pretty much had to swear fealty to not be crushed, and then try to take over the kingdom as quickly as possible since any attempts to convert your lands would be pretty quickly countered by your lord converting them back, and if they passed the infidel revocation law you were screwed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

quadrophrenic posted:

Roll a dude with decent stats, hope they war on someone else, fab claims on the two lil ones then wait until Abyssinia is weak and holy war 'em. It was all luck and secret cults now mean you can skip all that really easily.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
it's still real fuckin hard tho

like i managed to get a lot of abyssinia in my secret jewish cult, but not my son, so none of that poo poo matters when he was converted by the king's chaplain and I die without winning the dice roll to convert my own son back to judaism

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yep, I had a couple of false starts, but my strategy was to swear fealty, park the Chancellor on my liege, and eat things from within, picking the right time to head the Independence faction, break out, and then swear to the next biggest liege. Once I swore fealty to the Abbasids I was never Independent again (and definitely not when they got insta-subjugated by the Mongols due to an unlucky Caliph capture). I got a few counties from some of my rulers being fantastic Diplomancers and then helping my lieges with their demesnes, but as was swiftly demonstrated by some fellows with claims I converted and then put on thrones, independent Jewish rulers get Holy Warred by clowncar quite quickly.

However, I did manage to, through the beauty that is Intrigue Focus, form Israel, build the Third Temple and then have the Kohen Gadol immediately announce what turned out to be a surprisingly successful Great Holy War for an Indian Kingdom.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Playing as Mercia and trying to unify England. Got full control of the south, and a vassal somehow adquired more than half of Scotland, so now I control both crowns (with a bunch of independent duchies and kingdoms between them). Short after, still on the first five years of rulership, I get a notice of "Adventurer threats". One of my younger brothers has gone to another court and decided to prepare an adventurer army for his claim on Mercia. Guy has a generally good set of stats and I can't reach him with a plot, so I decide that oh well, worst-case scenario, he wins and I play as him. I get some retinues ready, start buttering the local nobles for levies and money, and generally bracing up for the impact.

Which... never comes. Somewhere down the line I notice that the icon disappeared without a trace. I checked on him thinking someone had gotten to him before me, and turns out he's very much alive. And a bishop. Apparently his new liege decided to randomly grant him a title? I have no idea at all. I guess adventurers have to be unlanded? That, or this guy just decided that his church was cozy enough and he actually didn't want to rule a kingdom...

EDIT: Checked the wiki, that was right. As soon as he got landed he stopped being able to be an adventurer. Still seems funny.

- I am going to raise an army and become king of England! :black101:
- ...sure you don't want this bishophoric in the middle of nowhere instead?
- You know what, that sounds good. When do I start? :)

Shellception fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 8, 2017

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just started playing this game over the last couple of days, and oh boy, does it have a learning curve. I'm loving it so far, though, and I've been watching Arumba's tutorial LP on the side to figure some things out, but so far I think I've got the basics down well enough.

I've restarted my game a lot, mostly because of some costly mistake or just random chance messing things up. Every start has been the same, though, as the same lowly tribal leader in a single county in Ireland at the earliest starting date. I feel like it's a relatively safe start and fairly bare bones, so I can figure out how everything works as it comes up without feeling threatened. I also like the idea of slowly expanding my dynasty's power, first taking over Ireland, than the rest of the UK, and eventually spreading into Europe proper.

I've only gotten to the point of taking over two other counties (being 3 generations in by that point) and saving up so I can proclaim myself Duke, only to get sick and die, leaving my infant son weak, vulnerable and surrounded by people who hate him. I will persevere though and keep trying until I've at least united Ireland under my rule.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Please note that Arumba's LP is very old and was made at a time when 1066 was the earliest start date. Playing a tribal ruler is significantly harder than starting as a feudal ruler! Ireland is only tutorial isle in the 1066 start, so you are making it harder on yourself than necessary. Ireland at the earlier start dates is both tribal and under constant threat of viking raiding, which is not a lot of fun.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh, I know his LP is old, but it's still very helpful on the core mechanics. Like, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to conquer a neighbouring county even though I thought I had plenty of men. Turned out I missed the fact that his vassal was blocking me.

I didn't know about the viking raiding, though, so thanks for that. I think I've seen them messing up Scotland/England a bit in one of my longer games, though. I'll give my current setup a couple more tries because I really enjoy starting from scratch, but if that doesn't work out I'll try a later starting date. I don't mind it being hard or that I've got to start over often, I'm still learning new things every game and I've got a lot I still need to figure out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spain in 1066 is a pretty good start for absolute beginners. The Christian states are decently strong but not so large that they're hard to govern. You're surrounded by kingdoms run by your relatives so claims and alliances are pretty easy to come by and there is a mass of small Muslim states in Andalusia for you to gobble up one by one

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I might try that next game then. Quick question about my current game. The guy I started with got old and sick but hung on for a long time. Still, he was on his way out and his son was in decent shape to take over. Before that happened though I got some of those options with a big payoff, 100 gold + 150 prestige for the fake currency for example, that only seem to have a personal downside for the current ruler in the form of sinful traits and stuff. Is there any downside to just taking all the benefits, knowing pops is going to die in a few months or years anyway?

I just took the money and started upgrading, so I'm up to almost 1k prestige and I've got the stone fort (level 4 that is, I think) in preperation of the Vikings that are surely on their way.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Your new guy can get negative opinion based on what people thought of his dad but I think if I recall correctly its less than what they felt about him. I think its only a big deal if his dad was a sister loving, brother killing, gay cannibal. They can also have positive opinion based on good traits or more likely titles handed out in the recent past.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Spain in 1066 is a pretty good start for absolute beginners. The Christian states are decently strong but not so large that they're hard to govern. You're surrounded by kingdoms run by your relatives so claims and alliances are pretty easy to come by and there is a mass of small Muslim states in Andalusia for you to gobble up one by one

Spain is fun. My last game I killed my brother to inherit his land, told the Pope to gently caress off and got excommunicated, hired a doctor who gave me an infection, and then died of an infection childless so the last brother was given a basically united Christian Spain in about the span of 1 year.

Sure, that never really happens every time, but it was quite fun. I guess I usually have my court chaplain boost the Pope opinion high enough I don't have to worry about him excommunicating me over free investiture, so seeing him excommuncate me super fast was a shock.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
So I've started running an Ireland game at the earliest start, United Ireland and made myself a nice republic. Through some marriage I was able to acquire four counties in Wales. Then the Aztecs came.They arrived in south France right at the mountains with Spain and... Scottland. Right now they hold all of Scotland and serious portions of England. I've got all but three counties in Wales left for my own and then south England has realms constantly fighting the aztecs. In Europe the aztecs own pretty much all of Spain, France and Germany.

I've not been attacked by them and I don't know how their event troops still look, but I've been showing up my armies just in case. Any strategies to take these guys out? And do they ever have succession issues? Also it's only 907AD :smith:

Grendel
Jul 21, 2001

Heh, heh, heh...bueno
In my last two games, I forgot to disable Sunset Invasion. I ended up swearing fealty to the Aztecs both times. Frankly, it's a pain in the rear end, but I was eventually able to tear them apart from the inside. It's especially hard if you adopt their faith, even if you secretly keep your own, because it seriously limits your succession law options.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
I'm looking to get back into the game after being away for a while, is CK2+ still the best general overhaul mod out there? I do appreciate that it has a "no India" option available.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Big Black Brony posted:

I've not been attacked by them and I don't know how their event troops still look, but I've been showing up my armies just in case. Any strategies to take these guys out? And do they ever have succession issues? Also it's only 907AD :smith:

Just look at the emperor to see what his current troop count is. That'll tell you how many event troops he still has.

As for succession, they are going to be stuck in Gavelkind until they reform the faith (which it sounds like they probably have 3 holy sites already), but unless they form another empire title it won't fragment. You can always swear fealty and form an independence faction; unless the AI has been unusually diligent about revoking titles he's going to have a ton of vassals who hate him and will happily join the independence faction (if it doesn't already exist).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Solarflare posted:

I'm looking to get back into the game after being away for a while, is CK2+ still the best general overhaul mod out there? I do appreciate that it has a "no India" option available.

Depends on how much you want changed. HIP gives you an experience a lot closer to vanilla depending on what modules you turn on. A lot of its more infamous additions are completely optional, like the map and interface.

CK2+ adds a lot more stuff, some of which is cool but some of which I have very mixed feelings on (the overhauled map in particular, and especially its neon colors)

Rebels and Warmongers, meanwhile, turns the game into Dynasty Warriors.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 8, 2017

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

binge crotching posted:

Just look at the emperor to see what his current troop count is. That'll tell you how many event troops he still has.

As for succession, they are going to be stuck in Gavelkind until they reform the faith (which it sounds like they probably have 3 holy sites already), but unless they form another empire title it won't fragment. You can always swear fealty and form an independence faction; unless the AI has been unusually diligent about revoking titles he's going to have a ton of vassals who hate him and will happily join the independence faction (if it doesn't already exist).

I'll look tonight. I'm not keen on fealty because my pride says the Erie will remain under my orthodox Irish rule! But the Aztec guy somehow got a Spanish Muslim with a county in England. And prowling through his other lords real quick showed a lot of Catholic and Muslim lords.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If possible, it's preferable to take an existing empire-level title rather than creating a custom one, right? Since you won't get those awesome De Jure CB's on the rest of the empire.

Do regular empires also get events and such that custom empires don't?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

If possible, it's preferable to take an existing empire-level title rather than creating a custom one, right? Since you won't get those awesome De Jure CB's on the rest of the empire.

Do regular empires also get events and such that custom empires don't?

I'm pretty sure just the Byzantine and Roman Empires have special events. I guess the il-Khanate, etc also have the Hassasin event, and the HRE has the Hansa event. Other than that any given empire is pretty much identical.

Custom empires aren't worth it at all, and you're always better off creating a normal one unless you're trying to carve out a kingdom or two from existing empires like Persia.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There was a new Dev Diary about new Casus Belli that will accompany the next big patch. Also, a new expansion is already underway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If you control a small kingdom and aren't planning on expanding, do not give major titles to family members. I finally figured out what was causing the rampant AI incest, and it's that: if multiple family members are dukes, eventually one will be a duchess, then they'll marry to try and superduke it up.

I think there must be something else going on there -- I've had entire kingdoms point-blank refuse to marry anybody they weren't related to, but I'm still piecing together this terrifying hapsburg-jaw reality I've created.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread