Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
This is the part of the story where the Raptors learn to believe in themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Kawhi and Lebron are so efficient in their bloodletting

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

alansmithee posted:

To be fair it's exactly that kind of attitude that Floyd provokes to get folks to buy his fights, even though everyone knows nobody's gonna lay a hand on him.
Floys may be undefeated, but so is father time. He keeps fighting, he'll lose eventually.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hate that I can't stay up for west coast games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zogo posted:

With that performance LBJ has joined the elite 700 NP playoff club. He should take the #1 spot from Kareem in the next 1-3 games (Kareem has been the leader since 1983 when he took the title from Julius Erving).

He's gonna pass MJ for career points in the playoffs this year too as long as they make the finals (possibly before then depending on how long the other series go).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/FearTheSword/status/860111387011547136

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

He's gonna pass MJ for career points in the playoffs this year too as long as they make the finals (possibly before then depending on how long the other series go).

I was surprised to see how many fewer games it took MJ.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Even Reggie's family members said in Winning Time (which is great) that he's a maddening human being. I still like him, I guess, even though he needs to shut the hell up occasionally.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

So are the rockets exposed now or are the spurs still pretenders

Zogo posted:

Boxing has much better postgame chat. Imagine if LBJ and other stars got to take dumps on the referees, announcers, players and coaches after the finals like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Zert5VaWk&t=143s

lovely refereeing and a huge talent drain has led to a decline in American interest in boxing. MMA is for dorks, support your local punch artist (and go watch Joshua-Klitshko)

RCarr posted:

I was surprised to see how many fewer games it took MJ.

MJ was making the playoffs with some awful teams and averaging like 35 a night

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Crazy Ted posted:

39 points
14 FGA

LeBron is a witch

Playoff LeBron is like Wrestlemania Undertaker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kawhi is averaging 30 a night on 72 TS% :eyepop:

Zogo, or anyone, can you recommend me a good resource for understanding advanced stat metrics? I'd like to understand things like WS and NP better, and what (and how) they measure.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 4, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

IcePhoenix posted:

He's also 3rd in playoff assists, I think 7th in rebounds, 3rd in steals and something like 20th in blocks.

By the end of the playoffs he will almost certainly be second in assists and steals.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 4, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

He's also 3rd in playoff assists, I think 7th in rebounds, 3rd in steals and something like 20th in blocks.

By the end of the playoffs he will almost certainly be second in assists and steals.

He could feasibly end his career #1 in points, #2 in Assists, #3 in rebounds, #1 in steals, and #8 in blocks for career playoffs.

That's insane.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

He could feasibly end his career #1 in points, #2 in Assists, #3 in rebounds, #1 in steals, and #8 in blocks for career playoffs.

That's insane.

#8 for blocks seems like a weird cutoff considering the difference in blocks between 8 and 5 is only 19.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know you can't really say for sure because it's LeBron and he could play until 2030, but for how many more years would you guess he remains the best player in basketball?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At least 3 more

He had more dunks this year than any of his previous regular seasons. Remarkable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

At least 3 more

He had more dunks this year than any of his previous regular seasons. Remarkable.

It's amazing how many open lanes the best driver in basketball history can get when he's surrounded by shooters

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If LeBron is the best driver in the NBA, who was the worst? Eddie Griffin?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sergio Rodriguez

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bigass Moth posted:

Rubio.

We are counting the ability to finish, right?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Bigass Moth posted:

JR Smith

im sorry Earl i know you didn't mean to

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

:drat:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got the joke now.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

dokmo posted:

LeBron has been ducking the western conference his whole career.

what a coward

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brolander posted:

what a coward

Yeah, if he was a real man he'd sign with the Lakers

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Bigass Moth posted:

Monta has to be up there

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bigass Moth posted:

Aubrey McClendon

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

I got the joke now.

I didn't until your post. t_t

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
SooOOo they're going to change the rules to eliminate Harden's nonsense, yeah? Casual fans absolutely despise his poo poo (as they despise anyone getting calls for anything short of armed robbery but that's another thing entirely) and the NBA's been pretty good about modifying the rules that to chase away unwatchable garbage (delay of game for touching the ball after scoring, rip-through rules, intentional fouling in the last 2 minutes, clear path, I like more or less everything they've done recently).

You can't have this sorta thing airing on national TV:

https://streamable.com/g7xaw

My reaction:
https://streamable.com/okg32
(I'm the girl behind Pop yelling THAT'S BULLSHIT)

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i think hardcore fans should also be mad that its illegal to go over a screen against the houston rockets too

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This one really isn't on Harden because he really doesn't even do anything to embellish it. Its just a bad call.

Unless you want to make "bad calls" against the rules then welp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvanTH posted:

SooOOo they're going to change the rules to eliminate Harden's nonsense, yeah? Casual fans absolutely despise his poo poo (as they despise anyone getting calls for anything short of armed robbery but that's another thing entirely) and the NBA's been pretty good about modifying the rules that to chase away unwatchable garbage (delay of game for touching the ball after scoring, rip-through rules, intentional fouling in the last 2 minutes, clear path, I like more or less everything they've done recently).

You can't have this sorta thing airing on national TV:

https://streamable.com/g7xaw

My reaction:
https://streamable.com/okg32
(I'm the girl behind Pop yelling THAT'S BULLSHIT)

Love the smirk at the end, makes me wonder how much of his gruffness is just playing the part.

Also RIP Tony, likely Spurs chances. Sucks super hard too, he looked like he was 25 again. Some of those finishes last night were insane.
https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/860151326050844673

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

This one really isn't on Harden because he really doesn't even do anything to embellish it. Its just a bad call.

Unless you want to make "bad calls" against the rules then welp

Yeah, that's just a bad call. The rip through thing he normally does to get calls on threes is just smart basketball and I think someone earlier in the thread detailed how ridiculous you have to be to actually do it as well as he does.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I don't care if it's smart or crafty or a skill, it's generally loving garbage. The poo poo they pull with a high screen is ludicrous

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, that's just a bad call. The rip through thing he normally does to get calls on threes is just smart basketball and I think someone earlier in the thread detailed how ridiculous you have to be to actually do it as well as he does.

Never take the rip through move away from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvO9rss8zWM

Joel commented that he learned it by watching Harden

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rip through is great because it creates space for even more better plays. It's necessary.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i dont get what distinction is you are trying to make? cause he didnt cartwheel into the stands and out of the stadium and straight into outerspace selling his flop it doesnt count? he did that only to get free throws, like he does 10+ times a game. its a non play, it makes one of the best ways to defend a really good shooter like james harden illegal for no actual reason, and it makes the game nearly unwatachable. It also creates an insane double standard where shots involving a screen somehow have tons more protection than every single shot in the lane in the playoffs. That level of contact wouldn't be called 9 times out of 10 in the lane, so it makes one wonder why it would be for a shot behind a screen, and so consistently too. Harden gets that call anytime he wants it.

how crafty it is or w/e has absolutely no relation to if its a good rule or a good way to call a game, bringing it up just leads to dumb circular arguments every single time.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Tony a HOFer? His similarity scores on BR makes me think he probably will be.

Yes, although I doubt he would be a contender based only on his NBA career. But I think the NBA and the Hall of Fame want to stress basketball as an international sport, so they are going to be pretty favorable to anyone with an international career. Manu Ginobili is sure to get into the Hall of Fame for simliar reasons. Patty Mills actually has a chance depending on how his international career in Australia goes, and I think Becky Hammon will get in if she is the first woman in the NBA to have a championship ring.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zoux posted:

Kawhi is averaging 30 a night on 72 TS% :eyepop:

Zogo, or anyone, can you recommend me a good resource for understanding advanced stat metrics? I'd like to understand things like WS and NP better, and what (and how) they measure.

Basketball reference has pretty good write ups on how they arrive at the numbers. How they should be used is different, Dokmo and I have done effort posts on them years ago, maybe I'll do one again this off season or something. But WS tries to capture everything using box score stats, does a reasonably good job offensively, defensively it awards you for being on a good defensive team and things like rebounds. This isn't awful, but people like defensive stats to rate man-defense almost exclusively and that is hard (and incomplete).

NP is pretty simple, it's your scoring efficiency times usage. It's an easy way to look at which volume guys are actually efficient in their offense.

PER is nice, but weights production pretty heavily, though it's scaled by season which is cool. Ortg measures efficiency. TS% is your scoring efficiency accounting for free throws and that 3pters count for 3.

Beyond that ask. Chances are if your not sure 15 other people here aren't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Boxing can be boring but then there's fights like Joshua-Klitschko that make it all worth it.

• Locked thread