Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There are so many different factors and influences going into racial and gender makeup of the military that any kind of far-reaching analysis that isn't a damned peer-reviewed journal is probably going to have a healthy dose of oversimplified hot takes.

Here are some quick facts devoid of the "why"

The Army is the most racially diverse, except in E1-E4 range. Navy has that at drat near half minorities, but their numbers drop off very fast as you move up the ranks. The Army has the most minority officers across all grades.

The Air Force is the least racially diverse. (The Air Force skews officer-heavy compared to other branches, and officers skew white.)

Diversity in the enlisted forces hasn't seen a radical change in the last 20 years, but minority officers have decidedly grown in ratio and stuck around from 1995 to now.

Marines and Navy are less likely to be married. Across the force, women are less likely to be married than men. The Air Force leads the way in dual-military marriages, as well as in enlisted divorces.

Marines are a very white, male branch.

This has some neat stuff to pick through: http://download.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2014-Demographics-Report.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is that still a minority in the military too?

I guess officers are technically a minority

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
There's a difference between being hated and being a minority

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

mlmp08 posted:

There are so many different factors and influences going into racial and gender makeup of the military that any kind of far-reaching analysis that isn't a damned peer-reviewed journal is probably going to have a healthy dose of oversimplified hot takes.

Here are some quick facts devoid of the "why"

The Army is the most racially diverse, except in E1-E4 range. Navy has that at drat near half minorities, but their numbers drop off very fast as you move up the ranks. The Army has the most minority officers across all grades.

The Air Force is the least racially diverse. (The Air Force skews officer-heavy compared to other branches, and officers skew white.)

Diversity in the enlisted forces hasn't seen a radical change in the last 20 years, but minority officers have decidedly grown in ratio and stuck around from 1995 to now.

Marines and Navy are less likely to be married. Across the force, women are less likely to be married than men. The Air Force leads the way in dual-military marriages, as well as in enlisted divorces.

Marines are a very white, male branch.

This has some neat stuff to pick through: http://download.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2014-Demographics-Report.pdf

im sure the dod has spent hundreds of millions of dollars trying to figure out why black dudes seem to prefer to do non-combat arms jobs. those hundreds of millions of dollars had to have produced 1 public academic paper.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

im sure the dod has spent hundreds of millions of dollars trying to figure out why black dudes seem to prefer to do non-combat arms jobs. those hundreds of millions of dollars had to have produced 1 public academic paper.

The dod doing research on things like that often ends in guys like Grossman outright faking all thier data and crying "national security/secrets" when called on it.

boner penis
Oct 1, 2012

To Be is to get HYPHY
To Know is to go DUMB

buckshot gonna do what buckshot gonna do

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boner penis posted:

LMAO dude just unloads into his friend

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

boner penis posted:

two_finger.gif

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

:drat:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

boner penis posted:

Well I certainly hope the guy up front who got blasted apologized to the shooter. :colbert:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boner penis posted:

holy poo poo goldmine thread

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Here's a look at the spring's hottest new fashion trends straight from the joint FIN/US/NOR-mechanized forces exercise: cover your armor in fir tree branches, until it looks like a suspiciously flat and wide tree.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
:v:7 "Sir, why is that tree moving?"
:rolleyes: "that's clearly a hedge, private."

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 4, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

Here's a look at the spring's hottest new fashion trends straight from the joint FIN/US/NOR-mechanized forces exercise: cover your armor in fir tree branches, until it looks like a suspiciously flat and wide tree.

I don't even wanna imagine how much of a pain in the rear end doing that must've been.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

aphid_licker posted:

I don't even wanna imagine how much of a pain in the rear end doing that must've been.

Guy must be barking mad after doing that.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

aphid_licker posted:

Looks dope, but I have to imagine it does gently caress all when they look at the heat sig coming from your giant diesel engine?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LOL someone's been watchin the OG Red Dawn

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Beastie posted:

Looks dope, but I have to imagine it does gently caress all when they look at the heat sig coming from your giant diesel engine?

Yup. Day or night I always used the TIS, that thing would glow like a motherfucker out the back/side.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Duke Chin posted:

:v:7 "Sir, why is that tree moving?"
:rolleyes: "that's clearly a hedge, private."

No one expects the entish inquisition.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txooHvssic4

F35s going through the Mach loop in a very sunny Wales.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
One more fashion shot:

I had no idea the MGS Stryker variant was still in use.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

One more fashion shot:

I had no idea the MGS Stryker variant was still in use.

What? I just see a tree protecting it's valued 2nd Amendment right

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fashion Tanks is pretty cool

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://instagram.com/p/BTpyqk8FFGK/

Following Pat McNamara (former Delta Force) on Instagram continues to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be until
Great Birnam Wood to high Dunsinane Hill
Shall come against him

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Yup. Day or night I always used the TIS, that thing would glow like a motherfucker out the back/side.

but it wouldnt be easy to identify with the human eye, which is the point of doing that. a lot of things glow in the thermals(not as hot as an engine grate, but hot enough to clutter the image), but there aren't a lot of straight lines in nature. no matter how good the optics on an m1 are, they still only offer the gunner a pinhole view of the world. if the tc isn't standing up and scanning, then hes also only getting a pinhole view of the world.

i dont think anyone would do that in a real war but it is exactly the kind of stupid poo poo that officers make you do during training. like bring an extra pair of boots and cammies to the field, drink water out of the water buffalo or setup hf antennas.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Fashion tanks are back... in video form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXUSs1Qz4zs

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Man the Finns have a weird mix of equipment.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

Man the Finns have a weird mix of equipment.

Their army is the Iran of Northern Europe when it comes to equipment. A hodgepodge mix of Russian, Swedish and German gear to a large extent, with some domestic stuff like the Patria AMV.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 6, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Their army is the Iran of Northern Europe when it comes to equipment. A hodgepodge mix of Russian, Swedish and German gear to a large extent, with some domestic stuff like the Patria AMV.

Most of the Russian vehicles/armor have been axed/are in the process of being axed. The only yuge outlier is the fleet of BMP-2s, which was modernized and operates alongside CV9030s. Russian SPGs are also being replaced with Korean K-9s.

No idea why the armored brigades are still using MTLBs, tho.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Finnish battle rifle, the Rk 62, is pretty neat. It's an AK-47... except kinda different!

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eicemf-iPeU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I wonder if the dude who was blown out of the bmp was alive and alert enough to enjoy the flight into the air.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I wonder if we're on some kind of watchlist for viewing all these videos. :tinfoil:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

In your heart, you know the answer to that question.

:nsa:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Most of the Russian vehicles/armor have been axed/are in the process of being axed. The only yuge outlier is the fleet of BMP-2s, which was modernized and operates alongside CV9030s. Russian SPGs are also being replaced with Korean K-9s.

No idea why the armored brigades are still using MTLBs, tho.

I like that the system has this automated ammo-buddy system on the same chassis, with a totally non-phallic resupplying process.

That reminds me to check out some of those South Korean masturbatory mass-howitzer barrage videos.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Christ, that was a good shot.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
That was a huge explosion, why did it go up like that? Did it detonate all the 30mm or something?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

That was a huge explosion, why did it go up like that? Did it detonate all the 30mm or something?

The sparkly secondary explosions are ammunition and/or propellant cooking off. I think that the BMP series all have lateral fuel tanks and that might have been what made the initial detonation more spectacular, but that's an educated guess on my part. The explosion 'rate' isn't consistent with ammunition but neither is it 'dirty' enough to be fuel so eh? Either way those dudes in the BMP are toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ded posted:

I wonder if the dude who was blown out of the bmp was alive and alert enough to enjoy the flight into the air.

That dude was most definitely a stringy meat husk at that point so, nah, he probably wasn't hearing r Kelly tunes at that point womp womp