Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

If I get a legendary from common loot box that's clearly a "pity timer legendary" and I reroll, does the pity timer go back to zero? I got one legendary that was an obvious pity timer one because I was well overdue for one, but it was so bad (some duplicate, I don't even remember) that I just rerolled and got some non- legendary stuff and couple of boxes later another legendary (which was also some poo poo duplicate but I took the shards). I'm guessing I should have just taken the shards in the first place but anyone know better?

Also baffling how many dupes I can get when I started with the game a week ago, but looks like my loot RNG is better in Overwatch.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Shibawanko posted:

Today I went blind into a QM game with Tassadar, not trying him out first or anything, lost and got shouted at by 4 extremely angry Russians.

That sucks. To clarify, I'm absolutely not against Vs AI existing as it does. For practice, for people who just like playing that mode, whatever. I'm not for one second saying to tear it down. I just mean that some more creative and unique PvE challenges would be up my alley.

Or like someone said a few pages ago, give us an editor and Use Map Settings.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Jaina has range increasing talents and it baffles me why no one takes them. They're how you get no-death Jaina games.

The blizzard range talents are a trap, she has better talents at 13 and 16. After 13 she shouldn't really die, like if they're really diving your rear end then all of cone of cold, blizzard, ring of frost, ice barrier, and ice block all get better.

The frostbolt talents aren't bad, though.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Is there some pity timer on loot boxes in this game like in Hearthstone? Or do we know how often you can expect to get a hero? Lastly, if you get for example an epic, is it as likely to be a hero as a skin, voice line etc?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
There's a confirmed pity timer but I havnt seen any hard calculations about it yet outside of "about 20 boxes"

Reddit Q&A link

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

thuly posted:

There's a confirmed pity timer but I havnt seen any hard calculations about it yet outside of "about 20 boxes"

Reddit Q&A link

I googled it couple of days ago and the best estimate seemed to be that it's set at 34 or at least "30-something". Personally I had my first legendary drop somewhere at level 2-4 and the next one over 30 boxes later.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bolivar posted:

If I get a legendary from common loot box that's clearly a "pity timer legendary" and I reroll, does the pity timer go back to zero? I got one legendary that was an obvious pity timer one because I was well overdue for one, but it was so bad (some duplicate, I don't even remember) that I just rerolled and got some non- legendary stuff and couple of boxes later another legendary (which was also some poo poo duplicate but I took the shards). I'm guessing I should have just taken the shards in the first place but anyone know better?

Also baffling how many dupes I can get when I started with the game a week ago, but looks like my loot RNG is better in Overwatch.

With the exception of Veteran/Legendary boxes and maybe something else later you're not guaranteed a legendary reroll so if you get one should generally take it. Even if it's lame or shards.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Played some games yesterday with a friend, and some people from said friend's workplace. They were all big into Overwatch and wanted the free loot, so they were trying HOTS for the first time ever.

Even though some of them were utterly hopeless (like a person playing Uther and spending 90% of their time auto attacking people and only remembering to heal people when they specifically asked for it, and sometimes not even then) everyone had a great time. All the newbies who came in with the attitude of "I'll just play my five games and GTFO" said they wanted to play more. Honestly it was also kinda fun to carry hard as hell with Varian and Ragnaros.

It was also kinda funny to see people who literally installed the game yesterday looting the same Maraudin' Muradin skin I paid close to 30 euros for as a Christmas present to myself :v:

So far 2.0 is a massive triumph in my eyes, the new loot system is cool and good and people are discovering that HOTS is a fun game.

HelixFox posted:

Wilfred Fizzlebang should be a hero. His trait is being permanently killed at the start of the match and replaced with Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion.

And then this plays nonstop for the entire match, like Natural Born Killers played during New Jack's matches in ECW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkeC9WVVsQ4

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 4, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
man i miss valla's double vault. now she dies so easily

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Where's our Azmodunk Announcer, Blizzard.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Catsworth posted:

Where's our Azmodunk Announcer, Blizzard.

speaking in nothing but shut up and jam gaiden quotes

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ciaphas posted:

I wish I had more excuses to take Rain of Destruction instead of Horrify in ranked :(

80% winrate guldan here: horrify is bad, take RoD almost always

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Gul'dan is one of those ults where you just know if the power levels were reversed everyone would be complaining that they have to pick the boring channel dps ult instead of the hilarious troll ult that makes everyone run around like idiots. Horrify is just a better designed and more interesting ult in every possible way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Minrad posted:

Can you explain why?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yeah there's deffo some new blood in the game. Had a game as KT laning against a Valla who just did not understand what Flamestrike did. Got my quest done in record time and just clowned on the rest of her team.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm kind of torn between concentrating on a few heroes and just maybe trying to get good with them or something, the games would probably be more fun that way too... or doing what I've been doing this past week, aka getting easy levels and easy lootboxes from just playing heaps of level1 or level2 heroes. There's just way more heroes than I can handle, and I only have 24 plus whatever comes from the weekly rotation.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 4, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Honestly lootboxes come frequently enough even at high levels that if you find someone you wanna play just play them

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bolivar posted:

I'm kind of torn between concentrating on a few heroes and just maybe trying to get good with them or something, the games would probably be more fun that way too... or doing what I've been doing this past week, aka getting easy levels and easy lootboxes from just playing heaps of level1 or level2 heroes. There's just way more heroes than I can handle, and I only have 24 plus whatever comes from the weekly rotation.

Play every unowned hero that's on the rotation to level 5 every week, if you can. Level 5 gives 500 gold, so you'll have more gold to buy the heroes you like. It's also really hard to tell if a hero will click for you the first few games. Some heroes are more rare on rotation so if you have to prioritize, do recently released heroes first (Probius, Cassia, Genji when they come around) and those heroes that rotate infrequently, like Abathur, TLV, and Murky.

Also, you could play this game for a year and come back to someone you hated when you were new and really like them when you understand the game better, and vice-versa.

Don't buy heroes you haven't played on free rotation, since playing a hero is much different than doing Try mode or watching others play a hero.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 4, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Minrad posted:

Yeah, explain? RoD can secure objectives on certain maps where people can't afford to run out of it, or forces them to overcommit to get you out of it, but Horrify is just so good and it is pretty much a guaranteed kill on 1+ heroes offensively and a get out of jail free card defensively.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Horrify is quite possibly the best ult in the entire game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd take Horrify over RoD almost every time. RoD is random and requires you sit still for seven seconds to get the full use of it. If you sit still for seven seconds and no one gets to you and fucks you up then RoD is just a win more ability because the enemy team is getting trashed already.

e; not to mention the lvl20 talent for Horrify is actually good and the one for RoD is basically useless.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Minrad posted:

This is the current first place for the worst post in the new thread, let's see who can out dumb this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've been playing this game for like a week and even I know that an allegedly damage-focused ult that does less dps than just playing your character normally is real bad

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Spudd posted:

This is the current first place for the worst post in the new thread, let's see who can out dumb this.

Guys he has a 80% winrate with him won 4/5 AI games :v:

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Minrad posted:

Yeah you're just wrong. Haunt wins games

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tsurupettan posted:

I've played for a while but never really any serious team stuff, and some of my non-moba-playing friends are getting into the game. What are some good hero picks to attempt to carry the gently caress out of games with lower skill players?
Depends on what you man by "carry". If you're looking for a character that's high-impact, good at 1v1ing, and has a high skill ceiling then I'd recommend Sonya, Nazeebo, Zeratul or Falstad.

If you're looking for a character that allows you to win by playing perfectly even though your all your teammates are loving up constantly, HotS isn't the kind of game that allows that to reliably happen due to its focus on teamfights.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 4, 2017

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Froghammer posted:

If you're looking for a character that allows you to win by playing perfectly even though your all your teammates are loving up constantly, HotS isn't the kind of game that allows that to reliably happen due to its focus on teamfights.

Ragnaros ~kinda~ comes close in a really vague, in that he can make a difference if some of your dudes are bad.

If you want to feel like a carry though pick Greymane, dude can become an unstopable juggernaut if your team can support you.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Rag, Greymane and Li Ming are other solid answers. The closest you're going to get is looking for characters that Make Big Plays as opposed to characters that Set Up Your Team For Big Plays.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mind over Matter posted:

That sucks. To clarify, I'm absolutely not against Vs AI existing as it does. For practice, for people who just like playing that mode, whatever. I'm not for one second saying to tear it down. I just mean that some more creative and unique PvE challenges would be up my alley.

Or like someone said a few pages ago, give us an editor and Use Map Settings.

Oh I wasn't really complaining. Getting yelled at in angry cyrillic is part of this game. I just quickplay all the time instead of VAI because it's a way faster way to learn a character and who cares if you ruin one or two games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What are some characters that let you single-handedly save your dumb pubbie team from wiping when played in ranked, so I can rescue my MMR from the abyss? My gut feeling is Jo/Malf/Thrall/Sylv/Ragnaros/Azmo/Zarya and maybe Uther?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Bringing your dumb pubbie teammates out of the brink is going to result in them turning right around and dive right back into that abyss. You can only delay the inevitable.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you really truly are that much better than everyone else in the game then a good Tracer or Valla is probably your best bet. Reducing the enemy team's damage output by 20-40% is going to do a much better job of keeping your teammates alive.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

What are some characters that let you single-handedly save your dumb pubbie team from wiping when played in ranked, so I can rescue my MMR from the abyss? My gut feeling is Jo/Malf/Thrall/Sylv/Ragnaros/Azmo/Zarya and maybe Uther?

Cassia ball lightning because your dumb pubbie team is probably going to go for it anyway so at least you can all go in and rush for death together and even if you die, especially after 20, you will probably pick up a bunch of kills.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Lucio

MS is underrated. You'd be amazed at how useful it is to help your Jebaited, mis-positioning teammates escape death

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Froghammer posted:

Depends on what you man by "carry". If you're looking for a character that's high-impact, good at 1v1ing, and has a high skill ceiling then I'd recommend Sonya, Nazeebo, Zeratul or Falstad.

This is what I meant. Thanks. I didn't mean carry in the sense of 'It's 45 minutes in and I'm anti-mage/vayne/your-carry-of-choice with maxed out items walking around one-shotting everyone', I've played enough HOTS to know that's not a thing. I just meant what's currently high impact and I can do significant work even if my teammates are drooling a little bit, since they've added a gently caress ton of heroes while I was off doing other things.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tassadar
R2: "Force Wall" - 8 second cooldown - Create a wall that blocks all allies from diving in 3v5 for 2 seconds.

Stitches
1: "Helping Hand" - 8 second cooldown when hitting allies - Pull the first ally hit towards Stitches, and away from THE GODDAMN OBVIOUSLY ROTATING ENEMY TEAM

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sylv, Rag, Lucio, Alarak, Uther, Abathur, Thrall, Falstad, Zarya, and Li Ming all have extremely strong "solo" play-making potential that can turn fights/games around quickly if you are very good and the rest of your team is just okay.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lemon-Lime posted:

Froghammer posted:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't know if he still does, but when I played Mauradin back when the game first came out, his ability to throw himself into combat and stun people or to Lee Sin ult people for disruption saved an awful lot of baddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What's the good Sonya build/strategy nowadays?