Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
That looks like a flash animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah. a "flash" of comedic genius

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Robin is still my favorite Straw Hat tbh

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

In the early OP threads, there was the usual argument of who would join the crew: Paulie or Franky. People were even wondering if Hogback or Perona would join instead of Brook.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

oddium posted:

yeah. a "flash" of comedic genius

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Idk how you could think anybody but brook would join when he accepts luffy's invitation in the same chapter we meet him

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I love where One Piece is at right now but god drat if this didn't make me nostalgic for the early days

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Aurora posted:

Luffy got Shanks' arm cut off

:v:

Shanks wanted to look cool. It was on purpose.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Crosspeice posted:

In the early OP threads, there was the usual argument of who would join the crew: Paulie or Franky. People were even wondering if Hogback or Perona would join instead of Brook.

Peronas still going to join after she meets back up with Zoro

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's cool that each of the monster trio now has a wife/gf (luffy + hancock/zoro + perona/sanji + pudding)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

oddium posted:

it's cool that each of the monster trio now has a wife/gf (luffy + hancock/zoro + perona/sanji + puddingIvankov)

:colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Please do not presume to limit the Great Emporio Ivankov to some vanilla scrub like Sanji. Also you are dissing the obvious OTP Ivankov/Inazuma, and that's not cool.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I remember when Robin joined I went 'ok' since everyone else by that point seemed to make a bit more of an entry, but she really grew on me quick after merking that guy in skypia and Frankie's intro chapter. I really dug the cowboy hat and wish that came back.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Actually, Perona is my wife

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

oddium posted:

it's cool that each of the monster trio now has a wife/gf (luffy + hancock/zoro + perona/sanji + pudding)

Not monster trio, but Franky + Robin is practically canon

Now that I think about it, the only crewmates without an obvious romantic interest are Chopper and Brooke

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 5, 2017

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

Now that I think about it, the only crewmates without an obvious romantic interest are Chopper and Brooke

Who's to say Brook isn't a widower?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Chopper has Milky the Mink.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

tap my mountain posted:

What about Nami?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

I love where One Piece is at right now but god drat if this didn't make me nostalgic for the early days

choppers weird early design before he became too cute

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Don't know where you got that notion, Brooke could have bitches hanging off both arms whenever he wanted. :smugdog: and also :yohoho:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Nami?

Oda

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Nami?

She's in a polyamorous relationship with both money and tangerines.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Gyges posted:

Please do not presume to limit the Great Emporio Ivankov to some vanilla scrub like Sanji. Also you are dissing the obvious OTP Ivankov/InazumaCrocodile, and that's not cool.

Also how is Franky/Robin "practically canon"?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oda has defined them as the 'dad' and the 'mom' of their crazy Straw Hat family.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pretty sure Zoro's thing is with Tashigi.

Perona's got Mihawk.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Luffy doing the finger thing to have makeshift hooves when he does his Chopper cosplay gets me every time

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty sure Zoro's thing is with Tashigi.

Perona's got Mihawk.

Zoro is going to be forced to kill Tashigi when the marines assault Raftel.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Crazyeyes posted:

Robin squeezing Franky's balls to make him join the crew is the closest anyone will get to sex in One Piece.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ZiegeDame posted:

Robin squeezing Franky's balls to make him join the crew is the closest anyone will get to sex in One Piece.

not true luffy got a handy from the amazons

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Luffy doing the finger thing to have makeshift hooves when he does his Chopper cosplay gets me every time

the only thing the anime is good for is animating luffy imitating the crew (or like the 4 crew members he has)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Happy Birthday Luffy!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love Kizaru so much.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

solo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqbFxiNeGc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that Oda wanted Binks' Brew to be a song that could be taught in children's piano books, but it couldn't because it's got booze in the name.

Also Pirate Warriors 3 is a good game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I played the video because Bink's Sake is a great little ditty, and I was in the mood to listen to something cheerful. And only halfway through the song did I see that you wrote "solo...." above it.

There's a danger with giving silly gag characters serious tragic pasts, because it can make the silliness of the character seem in poor taste. But Brook's comic relief isn't him being the butt of a joke. Everything silly about him is because he's just that full of joy all the time. Rather than undercutting his gimmick, the fact that his backstory is so incredibly sad just makes that present-day joy and levity all the more real and moving.

I've always really liked Brook, but felt he was just kind of there after Thriller Bark- which was fine, he's a great character to just have around- but now that he's actually doing cool stuff I've got to say he's really my favorite member of the crew.

Love that goofy skeleton.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I feel like he's really developed into the emotional backbone of the crew.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cuchulain posted:

I feel like he's really developed into the emotional backbone of the crew.

And he's one of the most humerus characters.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so random thoughts, because of how little time there is to develop any other characters, if anyone else joins the strawhats, we probably already know them. so if there are any final strawhats, we're probably stuck with:

vivi coming back after reverie goes to poo poo
kinemon/momonosuke combo
comedy carrot/pedro/gastino/kuma options (enough screen time to join, probably)
or no one at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vivi is already a Straw Hat though, her and the loving bird