Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping a pump shotgun on me at all times for interior fights from now on.

I feel that the saiga is the superior shotgun for close to mid range battles.

Pump action with a choke and bullet loops is still BAE though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Carebearz posted:

I'm not saying The Division isn't a good game. But Wildlands is a great Ghost Recon game, and playing with a full group of friends is where the game really shines imho.

Too often "this game is way better with friends" actually means "this game is poo poo but my group of friends is funny enough that we can work with it".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrA-teSHSc

And some say that car is still glitching down the mountain even today...

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I googled around and didn't find a decent link, but is there a good guide out there for some of the games mechanics? And maybe just some guidelines on what makes a good attachment for a specific gun?

I really don't know which gun to use besides using an auto fire mode when clearing mid/close quarters and single on anything long distance. I watched grimzzz stream last night and he got some insane long-range shots with a shotgun which just blew my mind away. I've never played this type of game so some of the basics escape me.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

dogstile posted:

Too often "this game is way better with friends" actually means "this game is poo poo but my group of friends is funny enough that we can work with it".

I mean, i enjoy playing Wildlands solo, but doing milsperg co-op poo poo with my friends is great.

Al this started because I said I like the SCAR is PUBG because I also use the SCAR in Wildlands. The gunplay in PUBG and wildlands is some of the best i've seen in games recently

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Fun fact if you right click after pulling the pin on grenades you underhand them. Blowin' my mind.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Badfinger posted:

Fun fact if you right click after pulling the pin on grenades you underhand them. Blowin' my mind.

no loving way, PUBG GOTY just for this.

Just when I think PUBG can't get any goddamn better.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Fauxshiz posted:

Random, and yes you are safe but you can die next to windows sometimes.

Good to hear. A lot of my deaths have been due to me sprinting out of a building across open spaces to get outside the red circle. I should have just tried duck and cover instead.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Audax posted:

I googled around and didn't find a decent link, but is there a good guide out there for some of the games mechanics? And maybe just some guidelines on what makes a good attachment for a specific gun?

I really don't know which gun to use besides using an auto fire mode when clearing mid/close quarters and single on anything long distance. I watched grimzzz stream last night and he got some insane long-range shots with a shotgun which just blew my mind away. I've never played this type of game so some of the basics escape me.

Hold left alt to look around without turning your character. Q and E are lean buttons. Hold the left mouse button when you fire single shot to keep your scope up and see where your bullet lands. Pg up and down change your scope zeroing.

Bandages and first aid kits heal you to 75% health max. Energy drinks give you 40% boost bar and heals for approximately 23/24% over time and can heal to full. Painkillers take longer to use but give you 60% boost bar. Med kits heal you to full health.

The boost bar has 4 segments. All give heal over time to full hp and the last two give extra movement speed as well.

The AKM is high damage and high recoil, it's good close quarters in full auto. M16 has burst fire and is a good mid range due to that. Scar and M416 can equip more attachments so are generally better fully kitted out.

Shotguns don't have damage falloff over range but pellet spread makes them less effective at longer range. A choke will help with that.

Quickdraw mags increase reload speed. So do bullet loops and quivers.

Trench costs are cosmetic only and make you look like a tool.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 4, 2017

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

ymgve posted:

Good to hear. A lot of my deaths have been due to me sprinting out of a building across open spaces to get outside the red circle. I should have just tried duck and cover instead.

My friends and I got caught in a red zone in the middle of an open field a it was the most pants-making GBS threads moment sprinting like crazy to make it out of there. the game gave us two buggies as reward though

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Carebearz posted:

My friends and I got caught in a red zone in the middle of an open field a it was the most pants-making GBS threads moment sprinting like crazy to make it out of there. the game gave us two buggies as reward though

When I was playing with some friends we got caught in it on a hill, with nothing visibly safe in range. We managed to /just/ find and hustle into a small shack in time, explosions happening around us the entire time. Game is fun as heck.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Maw posted:

When I was playing with some friends we got caught in it on a hill, with nothing visibly safe in range. We managed to /just/ find and hustle into a small shack in time, explosions happening around us the entire time. Game is fun as heck.

surviving red zones in the open, 10/10 GOTY material

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Audax posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=906558757

Modification Effects
Choke
The choke makes the shotgun spread less, making longer shots easier.

Compensator
Counter the recoil of a firearm and prevent the muzzle from climbing due to kickback from the rapid firing.

Flash Hider
Hides the flash effect when the weapon is fired, and by thus making it far harder to see your precise location.

Suppressor
Reduces firing sound and bullet echo.

Angled Foregrip
Reduces horizontal and vertical recoil by a small amount.

Vertical Foregrip
Reduces vertical recoil by a large amount.

Stock
Improved accuracy and stability.

Extended Mag
More ammunition.

QuickDraw Mag
Faster reloading.

Extended QuickDraw Mag
More ammunition, but also much faster reloading.

Bullet Loops
Reduces reload time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Xachariah posted:

Utility belt and trench coats increase your carry capacity.

Be careful though, trench coats make you look like a complete tool.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Xachariah posted:

trench coats increase your carry capacity.

nope

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Yodzilla posted:

gently caress YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Yup, you look like a tool but it's half a level one backpack in storage. Hardest choice in the game.

:confused: Says +100 capacity when you mouse over it

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Xachariah posted:

:confused: Says +100 capacity when you mouse over it

And yet, it does not increase your capacity.

e: for reference, that's how much capacity it would take up if you were carrying it without it equipped. since that's impossible, it's a meaningless tooltip. utility belts, backpacks, and vests are the only things that grant you more carrying capacity.

kojei fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 4, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

kojei posted:

Same with ballistics mask

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Megasabin posted:

Same with ballistics mask

does the ballistics mask provide any protection against face shots? or is it just "super edgy purge mask"

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

There's no such thing. Your head is your head. All helmets protect all sides of your head. Ballistic mask is cosmetic.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Carebearz posted:

just "super edgy purge mask"
afaik

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."
Bought this. Went in as a squad with friends. Got chicken dinner first try. Never fired a single bullet. Game is good.

Get my poo poo kicked in every try since but game is still good.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Only slots on the left of your paperdoll (which are slots for helmet, backpack, armour, and utility belt) can do anything for you. Everything on the right does nothing except change your look (and shoes off makes your steps sound different).

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
And just to get ahead of it this time, no, backpacks do not increase the size of your hitbox.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

kojei posted:

e: for reference, that's how much capacity it would take up if you were carrying it without it equipped. since that's impossible, it's a meaningless tooltip. utility belts, backpacks, and vests are the only things that grant you more carrying capacity.

Well that's both a stupid design and also a relief as I was looking like a tool for more ammo.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Stop making up game facts, goons.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Also I heard you can find mew if you move the rock on lobby island.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 4, 2017

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Xachariah posted:

Also I heard you can find mew if you move the rock on lobby island.

that's actually true but you need four frags to do it, so it's only possible after the round starts and you're really tight for time.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Their engine apparently requires every item to have a capacity. But they should probably figure out a way to only display that capacity when it's useful.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantJoyousYakTBCheesePull

https://streamable.com/1wy3r

Sometimes we have good fun.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This tournament is going to be LIT

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I've put 4-5 hours into this over the past couple days. Last night I made it to #2 in a solo match and then died to the gas lol. I was too preoccupied looking for movement and didn't realize how quickly my health was getting eaten up.

I've found that playing as a coward works incredibly well. Last night I hid in an attack towards the center of the circle for a solid ten minutes in a house with all the doors shut. A dude ran in, of course, and I gunned him down with a pistol and proceeded to steel all of his good poo poo, which I then used to make it to #2. I felt like an rear end in a top hat, but w/e.

This game is good fun and incredibly tense as you make it into the teens and then the final 10.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If anyone is on the fence about buying PUBG, there's a 25% off coupon on GMG. Expires on 5/5.

L371K7-WW5P69-CTHVLG.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
you ~can~ mad max it and its much more fun that way, but if you want to get wins/better scores, being a big coward is the best way to do it

take safe shots, scrounge for a suppressor, always try to be crouching or hiding

i took 2nd or 3rd four solo games in a row because i got to the middle of the map and prone hid like a big baby, its very boring but gets you points

squads are where the fun happens though

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Futuresight posted:

Only slots on the left of your paperdoll (which are slots for helmet, backpack, armour, and utility belt) can do anything for you. Everything on the right does nothing except change your look (and shoes off makes your steps sound different).

Are you more quiet barefoot?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dyz posted:

Are you quiter barefoot?

nope

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
At this point I pretty much always go for gusto. Live fast, die young, leave a hideous corpse.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

boy are my arms tired posted:

you ~can~ mad max it and its much more fun that way, but if you want to get wins/better scores, being a big coward is the best way to do it

take safe shots, scrounge for a suppressor, always try to be crouching or hiding

i took 2nd or 3rd four solo games in a row because i got to the middle of the map and prone hid like a big baby, its very boring but gets you points

squads are where the fun happens though

I need to get into a goon squad because the squad videos I've seen have all indeed looked like good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there a Steam group yet? I'd be down to team up with goons now and again.

• Locked thread