Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Buckingham Palace thing was just to say that Phillip will be retiring from royal duties this fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Puerto Rico just filed for bankruptcy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-puerto-rico-bankruptcy-20170503-story.html

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am not surprised but im also saddened by this.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I figured it would have been California or Illinois first

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Syrian Lannister posted:

I figured it would have been California or Illinois first

Puerto Rico has been dealing with massive ammounts of debt for almost all of my life. Its only because of the financial crisis of 08 did it became really bad.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Same but Illinois.

And in lighter news, Best Korea threatened China

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/05/04/north-korea-threat-pyongyang-directly-criticizes-china-in-rare-move.html

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Wow thats a real trumpian move on their part

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

But they still have to pay for the wall

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Gobbeldygook posted:

Except for that guy. He got the MOH for dropping a grenade and then diving on it. Award him something for doing the right thing but I'd prefer we reserve the highest honor for people who aren't just fixing their own incredible gently caress-up. If I playfully shoved you, but you unexpectedly fell over onto the road, but I pulled you back just before a car ran you over, would you thank me for saving your life? You'd be happy I saved you but I was still the whole reason you almost died.

Holy poo poo, gently caress you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

His final prank was to wake everyone in the palace up in the middle of the night to tell them he's gonna hang out at home all day with Liz from now on.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

orange juche posted:

Like, how in the gently caress do you fit through doorways with balls that big? I mean yeah there's persevering in the face of intense enemy opposition, and then there's loving banging mortars on rocks to arm them and hurling into the face of a charging enemy force. Like, what the gently caress do you do after you have become the literal paragon of badassedness?

I grew up an Army officer's brat, so officers never bothered or awed or intimidated me. When I went to OCS, this guy was the CO, the only MoH winner on active duty at the time.
Maybe it was the oorah mentality of OCS, but when he snapped left in front of me at his inspection, it felt like God himself had stepped down to ask me WTF I was doing in his house. Definitely awed, definitely intimidated.
Mundy, nah. Krulak, nah. Gray... OK, I felt a bit awed when I met him.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McNally posted:

Honestly, when I read that REALLY brief passage, my first thought also was "Hold on, he hosed up throwing a grenade and then unfucked his gently caress-up", but if anyone's second thought after that isn't "dude got the medal of honor for it, that CAN'T be all there is to the story", I don't even know what to say.

The process of awarding the drat thing is so loving arduous and thorough, you can pretty much accept that whoever got it, deserved it, and don't really need to second guess.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The MoH talk reminds me that during the Civil war, there wasn't nearly the same prestige surrounding the award as there was stating with WWI.

wikipedia posted:

While the Medal of Honor is now the highest military decoration attainable by a member of the United States armed forces, during the Civil War, it was the only one. Thus, it was often awarded for reasons that would not now satisfy the stringent modern criteria. For example, Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton promised a Medal of Honor to every man in the 27th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment who extended his enlistment. 311 accepted, but because there was no official list of their names, the War Department issued 864 - one for each man in the unit. In 1916, a board consisting of five retired generals reviewed Army awards and recommended that these 864, as well as others, be revoked.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
House GOP has left reality and entered whatever world the Naked Gun movies were filmed in.

https://twitter.com/emmarieNYT/stat...genumber%3D6296

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/KThomasDC/status/860164411331399680

Let's loving party like it's 2007.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Meanwhile, if you are upset about how godless liberals have prevented god-fearing folk from engaging in political activity, fear not! Our godly president has just signed an order lifting most of the restrictions on churches engaging in political activity.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Politics is more like Veep than House Of Cards.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

suboptimal posted:

Meanwhile, if you are upset about how godless liberals have prevented god-fearing folk from engaging in political activity, fear not! Our godly president has just signed an order lifting most of the restrictions on churches engaging in political activity.

I have hope this one actually bites them. Organized black churches in the south have been arguably the most powerful force for social progress in modern history.

Then again imagine all the megachurches phone banking for Ted Cruz. Ugh.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

suboptimal posted:

Judges got a simultaneous boner about whose turn it is to smack down the president.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

not caring here posted:

Judges got a simultaneous boner about whose turn it is to smack down the president.

Good thing we have Supreme Court Justices that decide purely on the basis of the Constitution and the law and not their religious or political leanings, right?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Thankfully the absolute worst Justice about that is a rotting corpse

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Best Friends posted:

I have hope this one actually bites them. Organized black churches in the south have been arguably the most powerful force for social progress in modern history.

Except for that nasty recorded history thing where America is really god drat good at saying, "No this only counts if you're the right sort of person"

I mean I want to say getting into the thick, dense weeds of picking out which churches are real and which churches don't count would royally gently caress over the lovely assholes that pass things like this, and I can see a definite path to how that would happen, but, well, 2017, darkest timeline, hope is a lie etc.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gonna be fun when that executive order gets torpedoed in court by the ACLU.

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/860172386154532864

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

joat mon posted:

I grew up an Army officer's brat, so officers never bothered or awed or intimidated me. When I went to OCS, this guy was the CO, the only MoH winner on active duty at the time.
Maybe it was the oorah mentality of OCS, but when he snapped left in front of me at his inspection, it felt like God himself had stepped down to ask me WTF I was doing in his house. Definitely awed, definitely intimidated.
Mundy, nah. Krulak, nah. Gray... OK, I felt a bit awed when I met him.

drat that's bad rear end. I'd probably have freaked the gently caress out with that dude in front of me

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Best Friends posted:

Something tells me the first mosque to pursue political activity will not be well received.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wasabi the J posted:

Something tells me the first mosque to pursue political activity will not be well received.

Isn't the muslim population of the US big enough to have some pretty serious clout under these rules?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't the muslim population of the US big enough to have some pretty serious clout under these rules?

3.3 million aka 1%, so no?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've sometimes wondered how many Medal of Honor nominations were downgraded because the nominating authority couldn't write for poo poo. My dad knew a Marine who was put up for it twice during Vietnam and says he probably would have gotten one of them had his commanders been able to write better. I can't remember the order of events, but one of them was for leaping out of a helicopter as his unit was being evacuated under heavy fire, distracting the enemy enough that the fire on the helicopters noticeably lessened and they were able to swoop back down to pick him up.* The second was when his unit was withdrawing from a rice paddy under heavy fire and he charged towards the enemy, firing his M16, and threw Charlie off balance enough that they were able to counterattack without getting their asses kicked.**

Both those nominations were downgraded to, I think, Silver Stars.

*This is the official version. What actually happened was he fell out of the helicopter, decided this was it for him and that he should die fighting, and started firing as he fell and after he hit the ground. Apparently nobody expected this to happen and it threw Charlie off balance enough that he survived the incident.

**This is the official version. What actually happened was that he fell face first and got turned around, eyes covered in mud. He realized that the sound of AK fire was *in front* of him, as opposed to behind him like it was supposed to be, and decided this was it for him and that he should die fighting, so he flipped his M16 to full auto and charged towards the sound of AK fire. Apparently nobody expected this to happen and it threw Charlie off balance enough that he survived the incident.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

McNally posted:

I've sometimes wondered how many Medal of Honor nominations were downgraded because the nominating authority couldn't write for poo poo. My dad knew a Marine who was put up for it twice during Vietnam and says he probably would have gotten one of them had his commanders been able to write better. I can't remember the order of events, but one of them was for leaping out of a helicopter as his unit was being evacuated under heavy fire, distracting the enemy enough that the fire on the helicopters noticeably lessened and they were able to swoop back down to pick him up.* The second was when his unit was withdrawing from a rice paddy under heavy fire and he charged towards the enemy, firing his M16, and threw Charlie off balance enough that they were able to counterattack without getting their asses kicked.**

Both those nominations were downgraded to, I think, Silver Stars.

*This is the official version. What actually happened was he fell out of the helicopter, decided this was it for him and that he should die fighting, and started firing as he fell and after he hit the ground. Apparently nobody expected this to happen and it threw Charlie off balance enough that he survived the incident.

**This is the official version. What actually happened was that he fell face first and got turned around, eyes covered in mud. He realized that the sound of AK fire was *in front* of him, as opposed to behind him like it was supposed to be, and decided this was it for him and that he should die fighting, so he flipped his M16 to full auto and charged towards the sound of AK fire. Apparently nobody expected this to happen and it threw Charlie off balance enough that he survived the incident.

this guy loving owns

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

So I guess they're going to ram the health care bill through the house

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

suboptimal posted:

I wonder if this is why Liberty University has been falling over themselves to host him at any and all opportunities.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

3.3 million aka 1%, so no?

Depends on the area, Deerborn, for example. I know there are a metric ton of Orthodox Jews in Lakeview, NJ, so it might be possible in that case too. Small and narrow reach of course overall.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

sharknado slashfic posted:

So I guess they're going to ram the health care bill through the house

Donnie is already inviting everyone to the White House for a postvote party and there were a ton of cases of beer just wheeled into the Capitol.

The attack ads are going to be amazing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie is already inviting everyone to the White House for a postvote party and there were a ton of cases of beer just wheeled into the Capitol.

The attack ads are going to be amazing.

Please let it fail just to see poor trumps face (well that and the horrifying consequences for millions)

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
rip in piss healthcare

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/860196819686629376

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 4, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I honestly can't decide if I want Mitch 'The Angry Turtle' McConnell to kill this and save Obamacare, or let them suffer the consequences of success.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
This isn't how I wanted Republicans to follow through on making the VA the best healthcare option available.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/860198958391480320

da Share z0ne come through once again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

• Locked thread