Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

shame on you for beating Braids Stax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
New version of abzan company with druid/vizier combo, duskwatch recruiter and walking ballista feels really good, like an actual improvement. Haven't gotten to test Rhonas over ballista, but the utility of ballista feels like a worthwhile tradeoff for not being a company hit (unless you also hit eternal witness, kinda). I was definitely comboing off more consistently tonight since there are now more easy to use combo bits in the deck. Recruiter also felt pretty decent, every time I played one it ate a removal spell but usually got me a card first and you can hit it with rallier. Beat esper control, merfolk, and bw tokens, lost in 3 to bant eldrazi. Eldrazi player had a nut draw game 3 with 2 TKS and 2 smasher, drawing a 3rd TKS. I had turn 3 win in hand but it got stripped by seers. Going to continue testing but it feels good. Also tried out a new SB this week that felt pretty good. New list:

3 Noble Hierarch
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Viscera Seer
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Devoted Druid
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Eternal Witness
1 Walking Ballista
1 Renegade Rallier
1 Anafenza, Kin-tree Spirit
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Fiend Hunter

4 Collected Company
4 Chord of Calling

4 Windswept Heath
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats
2 Temple Garden
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Razorverge Thicket
2 Gavony Township
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp

3 Fulminator Mage
2 Sin Collector
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Burrenton Forge-tender
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Path to Exile
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Worship

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
getting a little spicy with this list

I think Nissa eventually gets cut to 1 in the 75; I rarely want to tap out to slam her on turn 3, but when games get a little drawn out she seems decent. Of course, there's a surprise factor right now which won't be there if other people catch on to this idea.

Curator might likewise be better as a 1-of; I'm running two now so that I can draw it more and wrap my head around it. It's often a slightly worse thought scour, but guarantees a creature in the yard. If I ever manage to hardcast it, I'll have a better grip on it. I guess the optimal situation would be that someone slams a liliana and -2's to kill my other threat and then I play it in response... that seems really good but stupidly situational.

Overall I am liking this deck a lot. I haven't wrapped my head around the various death's shadow matchups yet, Grixis seems pretty hard -- but I just obliterated Bant Eldrazi, even without a removal suite that can answer their big threats, just by out tempoing them game one and then game two blood moon lol.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think your deck becomes much stronger if you just cut Nissa, especially given that a lot of your creatures are expensive. Why not play a better card advantage planeswalker?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I guess the optimal situation would be that someone slams a liliana and -2's to kill my other threat and then I play it in response... that seems really good but stupidly situational.

But it doesn't have flash? Or do you mean untap and cast it? Which makes you just scry for every Liliana activation? Is that actually good?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

L0cke17 posted:

But it doesn't have flash? Or do you mean untap and cast it? Which makes you just scry for every Liliana activation? Is that actually good?

>.< no it's terrible I thought it said draw a card. Okay, that's just a one of.

Sampatrick posted:

Why not play a better card advantage planeswalker?
probably a reasonable idea, but who does that give me in these colors? I think the 4-drop walkers are too expensive to be useful.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

New version of abzan company with druid/vizier combo, duskwatch recruiter and walking ballista feels really good, like an actual improvement. Haven't gotten to test Rhonas over ballista, but the utility of ballista feels like a worthwhile tradeoff for not being a company hit (unless you also hit eternal witness, kinda). I was definitely comboing off more consistently tonight since there are now more easy to use combo bits in the deck. Recruiter also felt pretty decent, every time I played one it ate a removal spell but usually got me a card first and you can hit it with rallier. Beat esper control, merfolk, and bw tokens, lost in 3 to bant eldrazi. Eldrazi player had a nut draw game 3 with 2 TKS and 2 smasher, drawing a 3rd TKS. I had turn 3 win in hand but it got stripped by seers. Going to continue testing but it feels good. Also tried out a new SB this week that felt pretty good. New list:

3 Noble Hierarch
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Viscera Seer
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Devoted Druid
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Eternal Witness
1 Walking Ballista
1 Renegade Rallier
1 Anafenza, Kin-tree Spirit
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Fiend Hunter

4 Collected Company
4 Chord of Calling

4 Windswept Heath
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats
2 Temple Garden
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Razorverge Thicket
2 Gavony Township
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp

3 Fulminator Mage
2 Sin Collector
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Burrenton Forge-tender
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Path to Exile
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Worship

I'm on a very, very similar list and also really liking it. I'm leaning 2 Duskwatch / 3 Druid though.Mainly because Druid can help ramp you into a T3 Collected Company in a pinch.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tim Raines IRL posted:

>.< no it's terrible I thought it said draw a card. Okay, that's just a one of.

probably a reasonable idea, but who does that give me in these colors? I think the 4-drop walkers are too expensive to be useful.

Your planeswalker options at 3 CMC in RUG are
Domri Rade
Jace Beleren
Nissa, Steward of Elements
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
Nissa, Sage Animist
Saheeli Rai

E: how did I forget Jace, Telepath Unbound?

kirtar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 3, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I'm on a very, very similar list and also really liking it. I'm leaning 2 Duskwatch / 3 Druid though.Mainly because Druid can help ramp you into a T3 Collected Company in a pinch.

Yeah I wanted to make sure I had at least 8 dorks still but I don't think your split is wrong either. Not sure if 3 Duskwatch is necessary although they were pretty good last night. I learned last night that druid is super cool and tricky to use, especially when you have an Anafenza out or a Gavony township. Anafenza bolstering let's you make a lot of mana. Let me know what kinda results you have, I'm probably going to test this all the way into the modern open in June.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I think 2cc with Jace, Vryn's Prodigy counts. That's the first walker I'd consider anyway, given that you're filling up the graveyard anyway. Course, it doesn't have any board presence at first so yeah, not great.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I was gonna say one of the 4Chandra varieties. Probably the pinger since it would let you attack past an opposing Goyf or Deaths Shadow but it can also let you draw more cards. I think you don't want 3 drop walkers just because in a lot of the matchups where Planeswalkers are strong you'll also be playing against IoK/Abrupt Decay. Dodging both of those seems pretty relevant.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
The next Modern League is starting in my town and I won the last one with Bant Spirits so I think I'm going to up the spice factor and play Seismic Swans this time.

Here's the real question: Do I splash into Grixis for Shadow of the Grave? I'm definitely putting a singleton Glorious End into the 75, just FYI.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah I wanted to make sure I had at least 8 dorks still but I don't think your split is wrong either. Not sure if 3 Duskwatch is necessary although they were pretty good last night. I learned last night that druid is super cool and tricky to use, especially when you have an Anafenza out or a Gavony township. Anafenza bolstering let's you make a lot of mana. Let me know what kinda results you have, I'm probably going to test this all the way into the modern open in June.

I'm doing the SCG Baltimore later this month and may bring this general list. Pm me if interested in doing some testing on cockatrice​! Really want to mail it down

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I'm doing the SCG Baltimore later this month and may bring this general list. Pm me if interested in doing some testing on cockatrice​! Really want to mail it down

I will if I ever have time, this month is the busiest of the year for me unfortunately. What's your current sideboard like? I changed about 5 cards last night but didn't get to test them all, pretty happy with it overall though.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

kirtar posted:

E: how did I forget Jace, Telepath Unbound?

that seems like not the worst thing in the world. Maybe I'll jam my nissas into a BUG elves build, and stick a JVP into RUG.

Now that I have started to wrap my head around it, this deck really is a blast. A scapeshift opponent just made a turn 2 chalice on 1, but I had a delver on board and just played a bunch of 1-drops into a turn 3 monkey and beat them to death with the creatures before they could try to combo.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

For anyone interested in following the continuing evolution of the rip/helm list, it's gotten significantly cheaper as in testing moat isn't as critical as I thought (even though I want to play it more than anything).

https://deckbox.org/sets/1676719

Deckbox will be kept up to date, here's a snapshot of right now:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
1 Council's Judgment
1 Counterspell
1 Detention Sphere
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
1 Helm of Obedience
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Monastery Mentor
4 Ponder
1 Porphyry Nodes
2 Preordain
1 Pyroclasm
3 Rest in Peace
1 Spell Snare
1 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares

Sideboard:

1 Engineered Explosives
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Flusterstorm
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Humility
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
1 Porphyry Nodes
2 Pyroblast
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Wear // Tear

Current debate is the distribution of wraths, particularly in the board. EE is insane, but having more pyroclasms could help elves, by far the most difficult matchup that's a creature deck. Also it's got too many good cards vs elves in particular, but even with all of them it's only mostly solid. In particular we need data about this vs lands and storm if anyone else wants to play this or similar and give feedback I would be grateful.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Porphyry Nodes seems like a hell of a shift; it's slow, takes a turn to work, and can be Decayed. If EE is insane and you're already running fewer 4-drops, could the deck support Academy Ruins?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Porphyry Nodes seems like a hell of a shift; it's slow, takes a turn to work, and can be Decayed. If EE is insane and you're already running fewer 4-drops, could the deck support Academy Ruins?

It's replacing verdict.

You can't run ruins in a list that wants rip in play.

Nodes is basically a 3 turn stall of the board to get some more lands in play. Either it forces the other person to overcommit (and beats mongoose and truename), or they let it die after killing their board, allowing you a few turns to be better off. It's quite excellent. Also you're super happy if they decay it, since that means they aren't hitting your rip, energy field, or mentor.

So far, this version hasnt lost any ground against the decks it was good against, and is better against what it was weak against.

Best way to think about this is a combo deck first, control deck second.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Is Sudden Demise worth considering over Pyroclasm because of its versatility? I'm guessing not just because I can't think of many 3 toughness creatures besides Mongoose which lol Mongoose in TYOOL 2017. Missing Eldrazi Mimic, Revoker, and Teeg is also probably relevant.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Is Sudden Demise worth considering over Pyroclasm because of its versatility? I'm guessing not just because I can't think of many 3 toughness creatures besides Mongoose which lol Mongoose in TYOOL 2017. Missing Eldrazi Mimic, Revoker, and Teeg is also probably relevant.

It was in the board to start with, but got swapped to pyroclasm very quickly after just a little testing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

oops

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

For anyone interested in following the continuing evolution of the rip/helm list, it's gotten significantly cheaper as in testing moat isn't as critical as I thought (even though I want to play it more than anything).

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
1 Council's Judgment
1 Counterspell
1 Detention Sphere
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
1 Helm of Obedience
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Monastery Mentor
4 Ponder
1 Porphyry Nodes
2 Preordain
1 Pyroclasm
3 Rest in Peace
1 Spell Snare
1 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares

Sideboard:

1 Engineered Explosives
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Flusterstorm
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Humility
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
1 Porphyry Nodes
2 Pyroblast
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Wear // Tear

Current debate is the distribution of wraths, particularly in the board. EE is insane, but having more pyroclasms could help elves, by far the most difficult matchup that's a creature deck. Also it's got too many good cards vs elves in particular, but even with all of them it's only mostly solid. In particular we need data about this vs lands and storm if anyone else wants to play this or similar and give feedback I would be grateful.

Is there anything that is a reasonable substitute for JTMS in this list? Cryptic Command perhaps?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Smashing Link posted:

Is there anything that is a reasonable substitute for JTMS in this list? Cryptic Command perhaps?

No. There really isn't a JTMS substitute.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

Jace is down to like 65 if you get a good deal, and you only need 2.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Much pithier than your usual posts.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Lists seem to be shaving Decays because you don't have to worry about counterbalance anymore.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
1 Council's Judgment
1 Counterspell
1 Detention Sphere
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
1 Helm of Obedience
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Monastery Mentor
4 Ponder
1 Porphyry Nodes
2 Preordain
1 Pyroclasm
3 Rest in Peace
1 Spell Snare
1 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares

Sideboard:

1 Engineered Explosives
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Flusterstorm
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Humility
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
1 Porphyry Nodes
2 Pyroblast
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Wear // Tear

I'm playing your older version tonight, though mostly because I enjoy casting moat and humility.

Maindeck pyroclasm is.... aggressive. Is this a local meta consideration or do you think you'd go into a tournament blind with that?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Having tried out Nissa in Bant Company I've liked her a lot so far for the Wrath matchups, really want to try Vizier of the Menagerie because I'm seeing that a bit too.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Here's the local Legacy metagame breakdown from my LGS (I was one of the Loam players; went 0-2 in the mirror, 2-0 against Shardless, and 1-1-1 against Goblins with a 45 minute Game 1. I kept looping PFire to kill off 2-3 goblins each turn, and he kept drawing gas and using Matrons & Ringleaders to rebuild his board. I have a new least-favourite matchup.):

23 players, 20 archetypes
4c loam x 3
Eldrazi
Maverick
Loam pox
Of Ports and Men
White Spaghetti
BUG x 2
RUG lands
Sneak & show
Shardless
Worldgorger
Miracles
Goblins
Grixis delver
ANT
Grixis reanimator
Family stompy
Soldier stompy
4 color fit
Blackjack

Has anyone heard of decks like "Family Stompy" or "White Spaghetti" or "Blackjack"? I haven't played them myself yet so I have no idea what they are.

Edit: In retrospect, "Of Ports and Men" is probably Death & Taxes, and someone's trying to be clever.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 4, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

White Spaghetti sounds like Eldrazi splashing white for Thalia and other hatebears

blackjack decks (at least the old extended one im remembering) use token generators and some kind of spell that deals damage when a creature etbs. maybe there's some purphoros action going on?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

Jace is down to like 65 if you get a good deal, and you only need 2.

Ok I will report back if I go with the JTMS or I try some jank in its place.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

blackjack decks (at least the old extended one im remembering) use token generators and some kind of spell that deals damage when a creature etbs. maybe there's some purphoros action going on?

Finally, a use for the Purphoros EDH deck I just dismantled.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I'm playing your older version tonight, though mostly because I enjoy casting moat and humility.

Maindeck pyroclasm is.... aggressive. Is this a local meta consideration or do you think you'd go into a tournament blind with that?

Yes, I would go into it blind. It's super good at buying 2-3 turns against d&t and elves, two decks that you have a hard time against game 1. And it's got good splash damage vs bug and delver. It and nodes take the place of supreme verdict, because that's often too slow.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I can confirm playing landstill that I have died many times against death and taxes with a supreme verdict in my hand, facing down a thalia/port/wasteland

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I can confirm playing landstill that I have died many times against death and taxes with a supreme verdict in my hand, facing down a thalia/port/wasteland

Like it should be with your sweepers!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Norin Soul Sisters remains a barrel of hoots. Tonight I cast an Ajanis Pridemate and by eot it was at lethal power and toughness (and I was holding my fun-of Fling in hand :ocelot: )

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Like it should be with your sweepers!

They really did nail it right out of the gate by putting Wrath at four mana, any more makes control anemic and any less makes control overbearing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

uninverted posted:

They really did nail it right out of the gate by putting Wrath at four mana, any more makes control anemic and any less makes control overbearing.

1 mana at instant speed is so good it gets a completely different card banned!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

just wait until I start Opt'ing into terminus

Helm trip report: didn't go because my dog cut her foot and i had to take her to the vet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Dog footcuts are not good I hope your dog is ok.