Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burning swine
May 26, 2004

Been a long time since we've had a good bit of address-book propagating malware that wrecks your poo poo and shames you publicly for falling for it

let the good times roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Been a long time since we've had a good bit of address-book propagating malware that wrecks your poo poo and shames you publicly for falling for it

let the good times roll

i usually get a few instances of russian crapware from my skype contacts on yearly basis

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

let the good times roll

let the good times roll? i think you mean party like its 1999

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Saw this happen in real time at work today.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

anthonypants posted:

as far as i can tell it's everybody

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

apseudonym posted:

Yeah should be using Microsoft stuff it's great

eh the business cloud stuff is based on shartpoint and linq so it's not that great

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PyPy posted:

Saw this happen in real time at work today.

same

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

that said, users understanding the concept of auth tokens is probably a tall ask.

Good lord this

ed: looks like some part of the code from the worm got saved by someone here: https://hastebin.com/gubegaqusi.xml

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 4, 2017

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

fins fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 4, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

idk how much exactly of a secfuck it is, but joint 2fa app (anroid) used by two of my banks does automatically pop up upon an authorization request, and in doing so circumvents pin-protected lockscreen

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

circumvents pin-protected lockscreen

why is this even possibleandroid

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk how much exactly of a secfuck it is, but joint 2fa app (anroid) used by two of my banks does automatically pop up upon an authorization request, and in doing so circumvents pin-protected lockscreen

how :psyduck:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in case anyone wonders, im on stock google rom for nexus 5, v6.0.1 with security patches from oct 5, 2016

burning swine
May 26, 2004

andoid following in the footsteps of x server apparently

locked screen? it's actually just a maximized window set to always-on-top

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can do lock-screen interactions on iOS now too, my mail client will let me archive or delete without unlocking

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

you can do lock-screen interactions on iOS now too, my mail client will let me archive or delete without unlocking
that is the regular interaction, android has that too, say for music player to switch tracks and pause/play

what im talking here is that a full window of the 2fa auth app opens, blotting out the lockscreen in its entirety

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that is the regular interaction, android has that too, say for music player to switch tracks and pause/play

what im talking here is that a full window of the 2fa auth app opens, blotting out the lockscreen in its entirety

why does it matter if it's full-screen or not?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

as ive said, im not sure how much this actually matters. i just have never seen a lockscreen interaction other than a widget before, and it feels shortsighted that the app authorizing bank payments does circumvent some portion of security measure on the phone

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

as ive said, im not sure how much this actually matters. i just have never seen a lockscreen interaction other than a widget before, and it feels shortsighted that the app authorizing bank payments does circumvent some portion of security measure on the phone

sorry, I got confused and thought you were the one going "android kramers in..."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

it's optional and apps can't override it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

artists representation of android security:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/sweis/status/860152381698224128

https://twitter.com/kennethlipp/status/860162396299591681

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

POOP ALERT, DISENGAGE

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my phone came with "smart lock" which means you can set it up so if it's connected to certain bluetooth devices it doesn't require a pin to wake and every time you pair a bluetooth device to it it asks if you want to enable smart lock with this device and all you have to do is say yes and it's enabled, no confirmation or password or anything. afaik it's one of those stupid things where they marked it as OS-essential so you can't uninstall it too, thanks LG

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

my phone came with "smart lock" which means you can set it up so if it's connected to certain bluetooth devices it doesn't require a pin to wake and every time you pair a bluetooth device to it it asks if you want to enable smart lock with this device and all you have to do is say yes and it's enabled, no confirmation or password or anything. afaik it's one of those stupid things where they marked it as OS-essential so you can't uninstall it too, thanks LG

jesus

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the sleep tracking app I use does this as well (overrides the lock screen) but to do anything else you have to actually unlock the phone, it doesn't keep it unlocked. it's useful in that case because when you want to pause it you don't want to fumble with unlocking your phone

as for a bank's 2fa app doing it holy poo poo that is dumb as hell. arguably the same kind of dumb as steam's 2fa which literally just sends a notification saying "your steam guard code is 2butts" but at least you can turn that off

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in case anyone wonders, im on stock google rom for nexus 5, v6.0.1 with security patches from oct 5, 2016

You should probably upgrade to a newer phone.

Anyway, this functionality is provided via the showForAllUsers flag in the manifest of the activity (which supercedes the now deprecated "showOnLockScreen" flag). The intention is to allow them user to interact with something without having to unlock the phone, where the interaction would have no realistic security concerns. For example, displaying turn by turn navigation, while still allowing the user to turn the screen off for battery purposes.

Android cannot know whether showing the activity is actually a security or privacy risk, only that the app author has explicitly declared that it is not. Obviously, for the dumb fucker writing this 2FA app, that is the wrong call, but it is wrong to blame the framework for an intentional security gently caress up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

the sleep tracking app I use does this as well (overrides the lock screen) but to do anything else you have to actually unlock the phone, it doesn't keep it unlocked. it's useful in that case because when you want to pause it you don't want to fumble with unlocking your phone

as for a bank's 2fa app doing it holy poo poo that is dumb as hell. arguably the same kind of dumb as steam's 2fa which literally just sends a notification saying "your steam guard code is 2butts" but at least you can turn that off

oh right i guess my alarm clock (sleeping cycle) does the same - ive never paid much attention to it. was just doing some internet banking today so i noticed that my phone goes from dark screen to :siren: PLEASE VERIFY YOUR BANK PAGE DISPLAYS 1337 :siren: the moment i click something in my browser

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is disableable in device settings, unless LG is loving up to an incredible degree, in which case I'd love to know what phone this is.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

arguably the same kind of dumb as steam's 2fa which literally just sends a notification saying "your steam guard code is 2butts" but at least you can turn that off
...you turn that off....?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

You should probably upgrade to a newer phone.

Anyway, this functionality is provided via the showForAllUsers flag in the manifest of the activity (which supercedes the now deprecated "showOnLockScreen" flag). The intention is to allow them user to interact with something without having to unlock the phone, where the interaction would have no realistic security concerns. For example, displaying turn by turn navigation, while still allowing the user to turn the screen off for battery purposes.

Android cannot know whether showing the activity is actually a security or privacy risk, only that the app author has explicitly declared that it is not. Obviously, for the dumb fucker writing this 2FA app, that is the wrong call, but it is wrong to blame the framework for an intentional security gently caress up.
aha, i see

and yeah, im gearing up to switch phones later this year (poo poo doesnt come cheap on this end), even if for the security updates' sake, as my app (and smartphone overall) usage is becoming more and more considerate as the time goes. will probably get an iphone, since gently caress me if i'm paying 800 dollars for a phone that is deprecated in 3 years

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

i think that's an android feature and it can certainly be disabled in the security screen on stock android, but i wouldn't past an oem to reinvent the wheel in a much stupider way

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

duTrieux. posted:

artists representation of android security:

i can gain local admin access on servers at work by browsing to cmd.exe from the save dialog on an invoked 'secure' remote session because it all runs under the local admin account

i told the developers about this and they didn't respond lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i can gain local admin access on servers at work by browsing to cmd.exe from the save dialog on an invoked 'secure' remote session because it all runs under the local admin account

i told the developers about this and they didn't respond lol

"WONTFIX: Attacker was friendly."

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/WindowManager.LayoutParams.html#FLAG_SHOW_WHEN_LOCKED

While a 2fa shouldn't really do that since 2fa is about providing a 'what you have' physical access to the phone be a valid 2fa.

E: beaten as gently caress

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
my hope is that eventually android and/or apple will put out some sort of authentication API where the phone itself is the 2FA and not a separate app.

also, just want to say that I wish iOS would let you set non-owner PINs/fingerprints with restricted access.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

my hope is that eventually android and/or apple will put out some sort of authentication API where the phone itself is the 2FA and not a separate app.

also, just want to say that I wish iOS would let you set non-owner PINs/fingerprints with restricted access.

how do ipads do children mode then (assuming it exists)?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

...you turn that off....?

well i don't but you can, say, hide the notification text on the lock screen, so the code shows up only when unlocked, because it's just a normal notification and not a lock screen bypassing mess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how do ipads do children mode then (assuming it exists)?

all restrictions are device-wide and there's no concept of multiple logins with differing privilege levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

well i don't but you can, say, hide the notification text on the lock screen, so the code shows up only when unlocked, because it's just a normal notification and not a lock screen bypassing mess
oh right you're talking about it being shown on screen, i read that as you turning off steam guard initially

• Locked thread