Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Never count on the Senate Republicans to do the right thing

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/860152196813533185

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/04/us/politics/house-vote-republican-health-care-bill.html

Vote going on now. 2 Democrats voted yes, so it'll likely pass.
e: down to 1, so the live tracking is a little off clearly

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 4, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AHCA passes with 218 R votes, most likely, and no D votes.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
loving incredible. gently caress the GOP and everyone that supports them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does the thread title need updating then? :negative:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

RIP all those americans who will die slowly. As god intended.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Does the thread title need updating then? :negative:

That reminds me, I should update my will.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Welp, was hoping Paul Ryan would get utterly embarrassed again but I guess it's heading to the Senate where it'll die or get amended and returned to the House at which point the HFC will probably throw a tantrum because the bill no longer has provisions for converting the poor and sick into a crude biofuel anymore

Once again I hope people are keeping track of who signed away their healthcare while explicitly keeping the protections for themselves

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
im sure the optics of republicans throwing a keg party after voting to kill 30,000 people a year totally totally totally will not reflect badly on the party in the mid term elections

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/TehDeminz/status/860198669408251904

:rip:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't be surprised if the house accepts the changes the senate proposes - they get to say they fought for the "perfect" version but had to compromise and claim they're dealmakers or whatever. Even an amended version will throw 20+ million people off insurance, make it useless and barely affordable for everyone else, and kill around 50 thousand people a year.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Craig K posted:

im sure the optics of republicans throwing a keg party after voting to kill 30,000 people a year totally totally totally will not reflect badly on the party in the mid term elections

It's a race to see who can look worse
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/860196932374978560

I'm sure singing Sha Na Na as a bill that kills people passes will be fine. Nobody in the GOP will twist this.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 4, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

oldskool posted:

I'm sure singing Sha Na Na as a bill that kills people passes will be fine. Nobody in the GOP will twist this.

It's not like the bulk of the people that vote Republican and will be affected by the bill changes seem to care at all. What are they going to do, vote Democrat, like some sort of Godless heathen?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Azhais posted:

It's not like the bulk of the people that vote Republican and will be affected by the bill changes seem to care at all. What are they going to do, vote Democrat, like some sort of Godless heathen?

If enough GOP voters die due to easily preventable illness the Dems win.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

oldskool posted:

Literally nobody will care about this by the next election, if anyone even cares now.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

HappyHippo posted:

Literally nobody will care about this by the next election, if anyone even cares now.

if it passes the senate yeah ppl will care cuz there will be trump voters dying on tv to curable diseases and poo poo and that makes republicans look bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oldskool posted:

Is there video?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Typo posted:

if it passes the senate yeah ppl will care cuz there will be trump voters dying on tv to curable diseases and poo poo and that makes republicans look bad

I'm sure the 5% of voters that don't just look for the (R) or (D) will be very inspired to change their votes

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Typo posted:

Good luck finding one of those Trump voters dying of curable diseases to go on TV and admit they were wrong. They are pigheaded as gently caress. Their dying words will be "Clinton would have been worse."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BarbarianElephant posted:

Their dying words will be "But her emails"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

HappyHippo posted:

They will certainly have forgotten, as their Lords and Masters will have distracted them with a new ethnicity to hate.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

By about the time when the 2018 election cycle starts you'll start to see the individual market implode and all the red states that elect to abandon defined health benefits go into effect. That means millions of additional uninsured and under-insured people. Healthcare will be front and center in that election. It would be one thing if the consequences fell onto the democrats base but AHCA is aimed directly at the republican base.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Craig K posted:

This, but unironically.

Optimism is dead to me now.

oldskool posted:

Yeah, apparently there's some reference behind it about Republicans singing the same song as the Democrats passed a bill that later doomed all their seats, but... still doesn't look great.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Bueno Papi posted:

By about the time when the 2018 election cycle starts you'll start to see the individual market implode and all the red states that elect to abandon defined health benefits go into effect. That means millions of additional uninsured and under-insured people. Healthcare will be front and center in that election. It would be one thing if the consequences fell onto the democrats base but AHCA is aimed directly at the republican base.

They will blame Obamacare and ask for more time to sort out the mess.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
You don't need Trump voters to win. You need to improve turnout of Democrats and lower turnout of GOP voters. The AHCA will do both.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

clockworkjoe posted:

You don't need Trump voters to win. You need to improve turnout of Democrats and lower turnout of GOP voters. The AHCA will do both.

It'll certainly lower turnout of voters.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Typo posted:

BarbarianElephant posted:

They will certainly have forgotten, as their Lords and Masters will have distracted them with a new ethnicity to hate.

Bueno Papi posted:

I'm talking about the singing by dems "looking bad," as the post I quoted was suggesting. People will care about healthcare, they won't care about some lawmakers singing Sha Na Na.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there is literally no way to make a fuss about democrats singing without it being "they're singing while republicans are doing terrible things, that's bad" which is...a hard attack line for republicans to use

literally the only audience for this is democrats worrying about if it looks bad

you know what looks worse? taking away health insurance from 25m people

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't this be a good time for Democrats to start pushing Medicare for All?

"Yeah the ACA had problems, mostly we couldn't explain why its great. Instead of the ACHA, how about a country where no American will go into bankruptcy from medical bills? A country where medicine prices aren't marked-up 1000%? How about never having to compare byzantine loving health care plans that very sneakily don't cover your rear end?"

I mean, laugh at me for being naive, because I can't understand why Democrats won't get their loving act together and offer a constructive vision of the future.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is it to much wishing death upon the Republicans who voted for this since they probably just doomed a bunch of people to death because they won't be able to afford insurance?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I agree. The Democrats will find a way to gently caress up an easy win.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I'm Canadian so I am on the outside looking in on this and I'm not very sophisticated about U.S. policy and the goings-on of the House of Representatives, but watching your politicians sing that song was loving disgusting.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

Is it to much wishing death upon the Republicans who voted for this since they probably just doomed a bunch of people to death because they won't be able to afford insurance?

No. I legitimately hope they die painfully. I hope people start shooting them. It would just be self defense at this point. Everyone who voted for this bill today is a murderer.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Grimes posted:

I'm Canadian so I am on the outside looking in on this and I'm not very sophisticated about U.S. policy and the goings-on of the House of Representatives, but watching your politicians sing that song was loving disgusting.

Yes the democrats, who to a man voted against this, are really the bad guys here aren't they?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We will probably see a spike in more personal bankruptcies; ACA did cut them in half:

"Expanded health insurance helped cut the number of filings by half"

quote:

Filings have dropped about 50 percent, from 1,536,799 in 2010 to 770,846 in 2016 (see chart, below). Those years also represent the time frame when the ACA took effect.
http://www.consumerreports.org/personal-bankruptcy/how-the-aca-drove-down-personal-bankruptcy/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Grimes posted:

Context is important here, which doesn't make it any less stupid, but it wasn't really "loving disgusting"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

evilweasel posted:

there is literally no way to make a fuss about democrats singing without it being "they're singing while republicans are doing terrible things, that's bad" which is...a hard attack line for republicans to use

literally the only audience for this is democrats worrying about if it looks bad

you know what looks worse? taking away health insurance from 25m people

Democrats and Republicans have much different standards, you know this

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Azhais posted:

I'm sure the 5% of voters that don't just look for the (R) or (D) will be very inspired to change their votes

Hillary would have won the election if it were not for Obama->Trump vote flippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HappyHippo posted:

I'm talking about the singing by dems "looking bad," as the post I quoted was suggesting. People will care about healthcare, they won't care about some lawmakers singing Sha Na Na.

ok I see, I agree with you there