Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Radish posted:

What's the good Sonya build/strategy nowadays?

All Auto-Attacks, All The Time + Whirlwind Healing talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is she focusing on laning and bullying people out of xp range?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Radish posted:

Is she focusing on laning and bullying people out of xp range?

Lane bully with extremely strong sustain and able to hit back lines quickly and hard during team fights.

She can be a very strong initiator if the the other team doesn't have a lot of hard CC. Generally, she is very good for getting to the squishies in the back and making them run away while their warrior tries to peel you.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cool thanks!

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

yes posted:

Yeah you're just wrong. Haunt wins games

Well sort of like gust, there is a bar and if you don't get over it then gust/haunt can effectively just screw up everyone else's skills. As much as I'd rather have a decent gust/haunt, if the player is going to fire off ults that just screw up our teamfight, I'd rather them take the less powerful damage ult that doesn't move people out of mosh/starfall/blizzard/ignite/whatever.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

yes posted:

Yeah you're just wrong. Haunt wins games

Aw thanks. The other goons can attest I'm not really that good though. :unsmith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Radish posted:

Cool thanks!

To win as Sonya:

1) Bully the lane and solo soak as much as you can.
2) Go to objectives and either initiate or let someone else initiate and you spear in and whirwhind through people towards the healer/low mobility casters.
3) Go back to 1
4) Take a healer and duo a boss when you have a numbers advantage
5) Don't spear yourself into bad situations and you should probably not die unless your whole team is going down anyway.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Reverend Dr posted:

Well sort of like gust, there is a bar and if you don't get over it then gust/haunt can effectively just screw up everyone else's skills. As much as I'd rather have a decent gust/haunt, if the player is going to fire off ults that just screw up our teamfight, I'd rather them take the less powerful damage ult that doesn't move people out of mosh/starfall/blizzard/ignite/whatever.

I see your point but Horrify's double duty as an escape more than makes up for this

Gul'dan is my most played hero and apart from weird niche situations (that beginner/intermediate players wouldn't be able to identify) you really should take Horrify nearly 100% of the time

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Is Berserker rage or Leap the better one? I usually take rage because its cool to yell real loud and then hit people harder.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To win as Sonya:

1) Bully the lane and solo soak as much as you can.
2) Go to objectives and either initiate or let someone else initiate and you spear in and whirwhind through people towards the healer/low mobility casters.
3) Go back to 1
4) Take a healer and duo a boss when you have a numbers advantage
5) Don't spear yourself into bad situations and you should probably not die unless your whole team is going down anyway.

One to add and it really should go between 3 & 4, which is MERC, Sonya can solo mercs at will; not the fastest but you lose no hp/mp.

Sonya is all about landing your Q's and sustain (which is why the current meta has you talent for AA heal, rage activated heal, etc.), if you're ever hitting B you probably did it wrong. She's like Guldan insofar as if you're over 20% and not engaged in a teamfight, you should be able to bring yourself back to full pretty quickly; like Gul'dan, you leverage this sustain by always creating value, e.g. soaking, mercing, etc. never go home

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

B-rage gives you a lot more damage but sometimes Leap is better for securing a kill if you can rely on your teammates to dive in with you

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also dive is a more fun ability even if it's not ideal. Going aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAH!!!! Then leaping into the air and slamming down on someone is great

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Any tips for efficiently microing the vikings? I just bought these fuckers and I love unorthodox heroes.

I get that I should use shift to give them a bunch of instructions. Is it okay to have some of them idle in a bush sometimes or what? Really keeping them all up all the time seems pretty hard. Which one is the most important?

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

thechalkoutline posted:

I see your point but Horrify's double duty as an escape more than makes up for this

Gul'dan is my most played hero and apart from weird niche situations (that beginner/intermediate players wouldn't be able to identify) you really should take Horrify nearly 100% of the time

No my point is that when the player on Guldan is poo poo piss bad, it is one of those niche situations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Shibawanko posted:

Any tips for efficiently microing the vikings? I just bought these fuckers and I love unorthodox heroes.

I get that I should use shift to give them a bunch of instructions. Is it okay to have some of them idle in a bush sometimes or what? Really keeping them all up all the time seems pretty hard. Which one is the most important?

I've seen Grubby do some really solid high level vikings play so maybe check out his youtube for some videos. This doesn't directly answer your question but his commentary + tips are usually pretty good I think.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

By the way, I can't log into the EU servers. Anyone else have this?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Shibawanko posted:

Check to make sure you're patched, maybe? They pushed 25.2 live for a fix on the US servers a bit ago.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I believe you can use ctrl+# to save your current camera position and then # to snap to it so you can ctrl+1 top lane, ctrl+2 mid, ctrl+3 bottom then 1/2/3 easily to view lanes.
Idling in a bush is sometimes the only way to get experience (your only job as a viking before level 10) since its so easy to bully a viking out of a lane.
Your job is to get xp from waves, anything on top of that is gravy. So as long as you have a viking alive in each lane that the rest of your team isn't pushing in, you are doing your job. Lots of players don't get how they work though and sit in your lane anyway, try to nicely say that you got the lane covered and they can go merc or teamfight or whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Battle.net client says there are issues with the login servers right now.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Is Berserker rage or Leap the better one? I usually take rage because its cool to yell real loud and then hit people harder.

Rage is the better ult 80% of the time, but Leap can be really good as a long-range stun in a comp built around it.

BrianBoitano posted:

Tassadar
R2: "Force Wall" - 8 second cooldown - Create a wall that blocks all allies from diving in 3v5 for 2 seconds.

Stitches
1: "Helping Hand" - 8 second cooldown when hitting allies - Pull the first ally hit towards Stitches, and away from THE GODDAMN OBVIOUSLY ROTATING ENEMY TEAM

Good points. :v:

Also good points on all the other answers.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 4, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

There was a huge goon-authored guide to TLV from last year, does anyone still have it?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Reverend Dr posted:

No my point is that when the player on Guldan is poo poo piss bad, it is one of those niche situations.

No, I totally get what you're saying. But I said haunt specifically, which is the level 20 upgrade to horrify. If you land a 3 second fear with a 25% increased damage on anyone post-20 they're probably dead. If you land it on all 5 you win the game.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

And that point is wrong anyhow, RoD actually requires not only good positioning, but a good understanding of where to do it from depending on the map, which is the case with all the channeled ults like Nazeebo's spirit.

On top of that baddies need the extra escape

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shibawanko posted:

Not even joking: Starcraft original is free from Blizzard right now. I played ~20 1v1 games with names like "1v1 noob only plz" and really learned a lot about map awareness and control groups. It took until basically game 20 for it to really click with me, however. Also, nostalgia. Nice game to play if you're tilting in HotS and want to cool off.

Mind over Matter posted:

Aw thanks. The other goons can attest I'm not really that good though. :unsmith:

Took me a minute.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well now I'm just confused. When IS Rain of Destruction worth taking over Horrify? What are these edge cases?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Something's fucky.

e: higher quality: https://gifs.com/gif/grubby-heroes-of-the-storm-2-0-genji-aegis-for-the-ages-cursed-hollow-98wZ3P Auriel gets energy even though Genji is "protected." And no, she didn't take "Empathic Link" at 7.

e: people on Reddit are saying that "damage dealt" isn't prevented by Protected, which makes sense with Medivh's reabsorption FoW talent. It still keeps track. Still seems odd.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 4, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There was a huge goon-authored guide to TLV from last year, does anyone still have it?

Olaf the Stout's: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723892&pagenumber=605&perpage=40#post456414134

John Dyne's: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723892&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=664#post457525026

I have had those two posts bookmarked for a while, they're in the last thread so they won't last forever but there you go.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Well now I'm just confused. When IS Rain of Destruction worth taking over Horrify? What are these edge cases?

Never and there aren't any, is the point.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Something's fucky.

e: higher quality: https://gifs.com/gif/grubby-heroes-of-the-storm-2-0-genji-aegis-for-the-ages-cursed-hollow-98wZ3P Auriel gets energy even though Genji is "protected." And no, she didn't take "Empathic Link" at 7.

She technically damaged Li Ming with the reflect. :v:

Also, protect doesn't technically ignore the damage, it absorbs. For all intents and purposes that damage was dealt to the target hero.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thank you for saving these.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't want to play Braxxis Holdout anymore Blizz

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Macaluso posted:

:same:

I think I'd even prefer Hanamura over it

yes
Aug 26, 2004

at least it's not 4head junction

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Macaluso posted:

:same:

I actually liked Hanamura a lot. It's a really crazy map with a completely different flow of action than most maps.

I hate Braxis so much. It's such a horrible map.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Braxis is still the best 2-lane map.

Hanamura is the second best. I actually like it as well, though people are clearly still learning it.

If after this we get a map rotation with the other set as the pool, I'm going to be miserable for a while.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think there's anything wrong with Braxis other than it being a little too similar to Dragon Shrine, which is better. The SC music is very cool.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Berserker deals much more damage, if you have a healer on you then that's the closest you will get to feeling like a farmed carry from dota. Leap is good if your team has poor initiation or too few slows/stuns/roots.

At low MMR, leap + the crater talent is a great way to tell your clueless team:
TEAMFIGHT IS NOW
THIS GUY RIGHT HERE DIES FIRST
FILL THE CRATER WITH SPELLS
HE CAN'T loving MOVE

and then you still have Q ready to cast. Stun someone out of a channeled spell or position for a perfect WW heal.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Actually since sonya-smart people are posting right now what's the best use of her fury? I assume in a gob of heroes during a team fight its best to just use whirlwind. But when is it better to use slam vs whirlwind?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That reminds me, last night my hots group had a new wombo combo for pissing people off.

Wall someone in with Sonya using Nazeebo, stun from the outside and whirlwind to a fine consistency.

Sit back, pour yourself a drink, and watch the beyblade cage match.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Did they delete the skeleton abathur skin? Had a look at his loadout today since I got him in the bundle I picked and was thinking about giving him a go and was "wait, Abathur just has the pyjamas and his old master skin? Could have sworn he had another one", was very confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Did they delete the skeleton abathur skin? Had a look at his loadout today since I got him in the bundle I picked and was thinking about giving him a go and was "wait, Abathur just has the pyjamas and his old master skin? Could have sworn he had another one", was very confusing.

I looked that skin up, it's a halloween skin isn't it? It doesn't look like it shows you any holiday skins unless the holiday is happening. Unless you're saying you had the skin and it's not showing up now in which case :shrug:

edit: Although the valentines skins and mounts are in the game so I have no idea