Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

YOLO, let's play some BOLO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
TCP/IP? Pshaw!

You haven't lived until troubleshooting why BEADCAFE cannot talk to AAAAAAAA or BBBBBBBB but can talk to DEADBEAD.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Agrikk posted:

No one does. Part of the interview process at Amazon is to get you to a place where you don't know (can't possibly know) the answer and then find out how you react. Do you shuck and jive and try to bullshit your way through the question? No thanks. Can you admit to not knowing something and demonstrate a proven ability to learn and be curious? Come on board. We have plenty of room for you.

No one can possibly know everything and it's the humbleness, openness and willingness to learn that we are after. If I am interviewing you and you start to try to bullshit your way out of a question, believe me I will hammer you on that topic. Because if you pull that poo poo during an interview, you'll pull that poo poo with a customer or on a project and the people on my team and teams like ours don't have time for that.

I've been there for over three years, working at AWS. All the stories about Amazon that you hear are probably true, the closer you are to Jeff Bezos and his pet projects. AWS under Andy Jassy is way more chill: we are exploding like crazy, making money, customers are queuing up to pay us more money for support and yet it's all pretty chill.

I am not an Amazon apologist by any means. Though I love my work here, my life/work balance is skewed heavily towards the life side, and I work with ridiculously smart people on cutting edge stuff, this place is not for everyone.

I would suggest applying and during the interview process ask some pointed questions. Find out for yourself if it's a fit. (and make sure you send me your resume ahead of time so I get the referral bonus.)

For firewalls, a good understanding of TCP separates intermediate skill from advanced. You need a solid understanding of how things work to be a good tshooter. Being able to recognize a incomplete or an aborted handshake in a connection table/packet capture gives you significantly more to work with than "it ain't working," which didn't take a network engineer to deduce.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL24aNugo_4

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I'm sure I'm years late on this but The Phoenix Project is such a good fuckin book. Is that book Erik references in the factory worth reading at all?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

I'm sure I'm years late on this but The Phoenix Project is such a good fuckin book. Is that book Erik references in the factory worth reading at all?

IIRC the book he references is "The Goal". The Phoenix Project is basically a modern rewrite of The Goal using IT instead of manufacturing. So yes, if you liked Phoenix Project, that's a good next read.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CloFan posted:

Having a fun afternoon with that google docs phishing thing that went around!

Yep, we got hit with this too. Thankfully we trained our users to be wary of anything because the Internet is a scary and dangerous place.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

milk milk lemonade posted:

If you want to read some interesting history, the authors of the book released the only good volume on ITIL implementation about a decade ago, called The Visible Ops Handbook. It was probably closer to DevOps than what most shops are doing today.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Contingency posted:

For firewalls, a good understanding of TCP separates intermediate skill from advanced. You need a solid understanding of how things work to be a good tshooter. Being able to recognize a incomplete or an aborted handshake in a connection table/packet capture gives you significantly more to work with than "it ain't working," which didn't take a network engineer to deduce.

I did some asking around and apparently a solid knowledge of the working of TCP is critically important in some circles here. The biggest problem, like everything else at AWS, is a question of scale.

Apparently when you have five million hosts serving up X number of instances over low latency networks, the traffic generated causes TCP to do funny things and all types of edge cases become the norm. we are looking for people to solve those funny things and/or write a new protocol stack from scratch designed for this environment.

Want to see something cool?

Watch "A day in the life of a billion packets" on YouTube.

It's a presentation from re:Invent a few years back on the networking challenges that the VPC and EC2 teams had to overcome. It's older, so our footprint was smaller, but it gives an interesting insight into what goes on under the covers.

Yay smart people!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Agrikk posted:

I did some asking around and apparently a solid knowledge of the working of TCP is critically important in some circles here. The biggest problem, like everything else at AWS, is a question of scale.

Apparently when you have five million hosts serving up X number of instances over low latency networks, the traffic generated causes TCP to do funny things and all types of edge cases become the norm. we are looking for people to solve those funny things and/or write a new protocol stack from scratch designed for this environment.

Want to see something cool?

Watch "A day in the life of a billion packets" on YouTube.

It's a presentation from re:Invent a few years back on the networking challenges that the VPC and EC2 teams had to overcome. It's older, so our footprint was smaller, but it gives an interesting insight into what goes on under the covers.

Yay smart people!

For the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5hsL-JNY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St3SE4LWhKo

Tigren fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 4, 2017

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

If anyone has any experience onboarding as a government contractor for support, can you PM me?

I need to pick a lot of brains about the process.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks for posting these up.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Well the offer for the management position came in earlier than expected and at a higher salary than expected. There were a lot of rumors that the new company was pinching salaries yet the offer doesn't really reflect this.

I told them I need some time to decide (I know I'm the only candidate at this point so I'm not worried), the reality is I'm waiting to hear from Amazon on the next interview before I commit on this. I followed up with Amazon on next steps 3 days after the phone interview and they gave me a boiler-plate template response.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good luck!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sepist posted:

Well the offer for the management position came in earlier than expected and at a higher salary than expected. There were a lot of rumors that the new company was pinching salaries yet the offer doesn't really reflect this.

I told them I need some time to decide (I know I'm the only candidate at this point so I'm not worried), the reality is I'm waiting to hear from Amazon on the next interview before I commit on this. I followed up with Amazon on next steps 3 days after the phone interview and they gave me a boiler-plate template response.

Why not commit anyway? Unless they're asking you to sign a contract.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I told them I need to discuss the benefits with my fiance. I Also am going to try and get more money out of the deal either through stock (unlikely) or an increase in base.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was applying for an Amazon job at the same time as my current position (albeit I was going desktop support, not network engineer) but when I told them I had another offer they sped up the process for me a bit, so you may just want to let the Amazon folks know.

(I ended up not taking the Amazon offer because it didn't offer as much opportunity to get into sys admin stuff.)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, we have a security expert who started here a few months ago, actually, but only recently have I started to appreciate how much this guy knows, and how good he is. I hope they actually listen to his recommendations. Stuff like "maybe we shouldn't use dropbox/google drive to send files too big to email," or "let's let people have really long passwords, and don't make them change them constantly, and integrate more of the applications together rather than have 5 systems that don't synchronize users/passwords."

There's a few other things I've heard discussed, but those are my favourite two.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, we have a security expert who started here a few months ago, actually, but only recently have I started to appreciate how much this guy knows, and how good he is. I hope they actually listen to his recommendations. Stuff like "maybe we shouldn't use dropbox/google drive to send files too big to email," or "let's let people have really long passwords, and don't make them change them constantly, and integrate more of the applications together rather than have 5 systems that don't synchronize users/passwords."

There's a few other things I've heard discussed, but those are my favourite two.

I... What?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

orange sky posted:

I... What?

Yeah the business versions of both of those services are fine and hopefully if he's talking about password policy modifications a robust 2FA system is already in place.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Might've been posted already, but this is pretty drat accurate: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-its-like-network-engineer-ron-buchalski

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MiniFoo posted:

Might've been posted already, but this is pretty drat accurate: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-its-like-network-engineer-ron-buchalski

Too loving real.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good God

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

I show this to new hires whenever possible. It was on our department's file share when I got here, so it's official training documentation!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

rafikki posted:

Too loving real.

It really captures the resigned "no it's not th--- fine I'll check."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I show this to new hires whenever possible. It was on our department's file share when I got here, so it's official training documentation!

I got it at my first call center job. The trainer for fired for showing it to trainees :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks for posting these up.

Yeah, these were cool. Thanks for pointing them out, Tigren and Agrikk. We use VPC's as a customer but I hadn't really thought about the implementation. It seems conceptually similar to VXLAN, just... fancier (like the alerts when a packet tries to route to a destination it shouldn't be able to), and at an absurd scale.

For anyone planning to watch them, the second talk is basically the exact same as the first with a bit of updated content.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah the business versions of both of those services are fine and hopefully if he's talking about password policy modifications a robust 2FA system is already in place.

The 2fa system is in place, but the guy wants to expand it significantly, in conjunction with the password shifts. Also no, the business versions of that software aren't fine, as we're a Canadian education institution, so we can't really let our data on American servers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

. Also no, the business versions of that software aren't fine, as we're a Canadian education institution, so we can't really let our data on American servers.

Pretty normal for Canadian companies, Americans often forget this. It's really nice that AWS and Azure have Canadian regions now that you can restrict your data to.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo man. I got a nasty rear end flashback to my helldesk years. Now it's 11 am and whiskey time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That's​ not a parody translation is it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Welp I officially handed in my resignation today which was met with a lot of sadness.

Question to those who are in management. How does your boss measure performance of your role? I've always been reliant on myself as a measure of my performance, now that I'll be responsible for the performance of a group of people I'm not sure what to expect.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sepist posted:

Welp I officially handed in my resignation today which was met with a lot of sadness.

Question to those who are in management. How does your boss measure performance of your role? I've always been reliant on myself as a measure of my performance, now that I'll be responsible for the performance of a group of people I'm not sure what to expect.

Rate Your Own Performance

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Welcome to the hardest transition of your life. When problems arise, you no longer step up, you step back and let your staff shine. You are there to help them grow, to help them understand business decisions and processes, and a lot of other non-tech stuff. I spend a lot of time writing policies and procedures, assisting with risk management, making strategic business decisions, and most importantly, talking to my team.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My boss measures my performance based on how many times she has to ask for something to be done, and how much noise other staff make about my responsibilities.

If staff outside of IT are quiet and she's not asking for updates or follow-ups, my performance review is rock solid.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Communications director ask if she could order a Macbook Pro for one of her team members. I countered with "Have you considered the Surface Studio?"

We'll see how that plays out.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sepist posted:

People on twitter seem to like The Manager's Path.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PCjr sidecar posted:

People on twitter seem to like The Manager's Path.
was just gonna recommend this book also, it's the closest you're gonna get to a boot camp on this

Also, it's a teeeeny bit dated now, but I learned a lot from reading Scott Berkun's Making Things Happen back in the day and it's mostly aged really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Man, what a terrible job you must have, to believe a management position is better than what you're currently doing.