Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

RaySmuckles posted:

robert horry is cool and has had one of the most interesting careers in the modern nba.

7(?) loving championships, and hitting huge shots in just about every one.

Yeah, that's the thing is it's not like he just coasted from team to team and rode the bench to a ring, he was prominent on those championship teams even if he was never one of the best four players on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

edit: i wonder who he thinks is better: kobe or duncan?
whoever hit more game winners obviously

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

whoever hit more game winners obviously

lol

i was watching a recap of the spurs/rockets game and it showed kawhi getting hyped over a jsimms dunk. i really think they're an interesting pair. i've seen it posted before that it really seems that kawhi and jsimms get along really well and kawhi seems much more normal when they're interacting. just an interesting lens to help look deeper into leonard.

plus, and i doubt anyone can find it, there was a spurs video asking players what kawhi was like/what they talk about and when jsimms was answering he just had the most perplexed look on his face and said "we talk about things everyone talks about : music and women" and it was just the most awesome thing.

edit: is horry a hall of famer?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I refuse to believe Kawhi got hype over anything or even had a change in his facial expression

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Kawhi got visibly hyped at points when he was frustrating the poo poo out of harden

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

lol

i was watching a recap of the spurs/rockets game and it showed kawhi getting hyped over a jsimms dunk. i really think they're an interesting pair. i've seen it posted before that it really seems that kawhi and jsimms get along really well and kawhi seems much more normal when they're interacting. just an interesting lens to help look deeper into leonard.

plus, and i doubt anyone can find it, there was a spurs video asking players what kawhi was like/what they talk about and when jsimms was answering he just had the most perplexed look on his face and said "we talk about things everyone talks about : music and women" and it was just the most awesome thing.
I've thought the same thing just watching them talking on the court or on the bench, seems like kawhi feels more comfortable with JUICE which I'm going to keep pushing as a nickname in all caps cuz it's terrible and makes me think of David Schwimmer
also this is the second vid u mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJdKgkAicG8
JUICE is very last

Intruder posted:

I refuse to believe Kawhi got hype over anything or even had a change in his facial expression

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfCkI0tLYzw&t=366s

he almost smiled

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/860194766063112194

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Prep the fashion thread

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

RaySmuckles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NZ0kRkfvTI

"TV shows... funny movies... jokes... just like normal people."

On a much less amusing note, it's officially a ruptured quad for TP. Same injury that ended Barkley's career, drat it!

I hope he can come back, even as a shell of himself for a Barkely-esque finale.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

At what point does he tell his dad to gently caress off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cash Monet posted:

At what point does he tell his dad to gently caress off.

Maybe he loves his dad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Juaguocio posted:

"TV shows... funny movies... jokes... just like normal people."

On a much less amusing note, it's officially a ruptured quad for TP. Same injury that ended Barkley's career, drat it!

I hope he can come back, even as a shell of himself for a Barkely-esque finale.

Ouch

:rip:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Being punched was the best thing that ever happened to Spencer's message being spread. This is why you don't use violence against people you disagree with, all it does is gives them a platform.

Yeah, really. Also gave Spencer's supporters a "look how we are persecuted by these people who don't believe in free speech, how very un-American." It was real annoying watching supposedly Good People hand Neo Nazis the moral right-of-way. You don't abandon your own principles because your target is an extra bad boy in need of punishment. You don't assert a superior morality by punching folks.

I mean, poo poo, positioning themselves as aggrieved defenders of righteous tradition was the whole Nazi political playbook (see: Reichstag Fire, Mein Kampf, everything they ever did). There's easy historical references. Why would you play right into an obvious media strategy?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol what no it hasn't. People see him as a joke

People saw our current President as a joke during the primaries and he did very well capitalizing upon their open disdain. Now he's the most powerful man on the planet. It's a joke until it's not a joke.

In conclusion: the Barkley show is almost certainly going to be a disaster and inviting Richard Spencer is a stupid idea. Headlines Read: Shock Jock Says Something Shocking. If they actually wanted information about the White Underclass instead of a "dialogue" that only goes one way they should probably talk to a historian or something. Maybe Nancy Isenberg?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I honestly believe LeBron will never slow down

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Intruder posted:

As for opinions that are not awful but are in fact good, this article is correct
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-houston-rockets-america-team-388b945353a9

Could not disagree more strongly. James Harden is a euro-idolizing rules-cheater and LeBron is in every way including the literal sense Captain America :colbert: in fact, LeBron is probably MORE Captain America than the Captain America from the movies who uses guns to attack instead of his shield to defend.

LeBron conquered the evil forces of bland corporate tech with good friendship and overwhelming strength of will, but now they've risen a third time like the dark phoenix and he will be tested like never before.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

EvanTH posted:

Yeah, really. Also gave Spencer's supporters a "look how we are persecuted by these people who don't believe in free speech, how very un-American." It was real annoying watching supposedly Good People hand Neo Nazis the moral right-of-way. You don't abandon your own principles because your target is an extra bad boy in need of punishment. You don't assert a superior morality by punching folks.

I mean, poo poo, positioning themselves as aggrieved defenders of righteous tradition was the whole Nazi political playbook (see: Reichstag Fire, Mein Kampf, everything they ever did). There's easy historical references. Why would you play right into an obvious media strategy?

People saw our current President as a joke during the primaries and he did very well capitalizing upon their open disdain. Now he's the most powerful man on the planet. It's a joke until it's not a joke.

In conclusion: the Barkley show is almost certainly going to be a disaster and inviting Richard Spencer is a stupid idea. Headlines Read: Shock Jock Says Something Shocking. If they actually wanted information about the White Underclass instead of a "dialogue" that only goes one way they should probably talk to a historian or something. Maybe Nancy Isenberg?

They did not give them the moral high ground.

Not that having that is useful in any real way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

glowing-fish posted:

Yes, although I doubt he would be a contender based only on his NBA career. But I think the NBA and the Hall of Fame want to stress basketball as an international sport, so they are going to be pretty favorable to anyone with an international career. Manu Ginobili is sure to get into the Hall of Fame for simliar reasons. Patty Mills actually has a chance depending on how his international career in Australia goes, and I think Becky Hammon will get in if she is the first woman in the NBA to have a championship ring.

She would be the first female coach in the NBA to get a ring, not first woman in the NBA to get a ring. Jeanie Buss has NBA rings. Franchises give out rings to a lot of people including minority owners. Wouldn't Becky Hammon get in the HOF based off her playing career anyway?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
There's not much that's more American than punching Nazis. Maybe the alley-oop? I guess that's kind of French.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I hope a plane crashes into the rose garden

e: wrong thread but gently caress the Blazers too

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Jota posted:

I hope a plane crashes into the rose garden

e: wrong thread but gently caress the Blazers too

It would divert at the last minute and land on Brandon Roy's achilles or something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

can a player still receive his contract money if he retires due to injury? i assume it would be amnestied or something for the team. but that way the player can get his and the team isn't too hampered.

If a player medically retires then their contract is payed out via insurance teams have.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

If a player medically retires then their contract is payed out via insurance teams have.

It takes a year from your last game to activate the medical retirement process. However, a player can just retire, and of they have insurance in their contract they might get paid out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Could not disagree more strongly. James Harden is a euro-idolizing rules-cheater and LeBron is in every way including the literal sense Captain America :colbert: in fact, LeBron is probably MORE Captain America than the Captain America from the movies who uses guns to attack instead of his shield to defend.

LeBron conquered the evil forces of bland corporate tech with good friendship and overwhelming strength of will, but now they've risen a third time like the dark phoenix and he will be tested like never before.

Using guns is American as hell. I'd post a picture of 40s Captain America using a gun but the bad guys he is fighting are racist caricatures.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 4, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

CharlestheHammer posted:

They did not give them the moral high ground.

Not that having that is useful in any real way.

?
It's politics and public relations. Being a sympathetic figure with the appearance of a moral high ground is useful in every way.

The Right gets hundreds of years of mileage out of Violent Bomb-Throwing Anarchist Protestors doing standard Violent Protestor poo poo.

Stagger_Lee posted:

There's not much that's more American than punching Nazis. Maybe the alley-oop? I guess that's kind of French.

Aside from pretending imperialist wars of aggression and conquest have underlying moral imperatives, yeah, not much more American than living your life by the code of 20th century war propaganda. Aspirational stuff. Simpler times. Employment at the factory. Big cars. Effective Jim Crow Laws. Japanese locked safely away in leisure camps.

You're a sap, Mr. Jap, you make a Yankee cranky
You're a sap, Mr. Jap, Uncle Sammy's gonna spanky
Wait and see before we're done
The A, B, C and D will sink your rising sun*
You're a sap, Mr. Jap, you don't know Uncle Sammy
When he fights for his rights, you'll take it on the lammy
For he'll wipe the Axis right off the map
You're a sap, sap sap, Mr. Jap

Anyways enjoy your hosed up hateful "America", I'll be over on the moral high ground fighting for the side of LeBron and the Brazilio-Germans.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Speaking of Captain America, it's a shame they were calling Melo that/made him team captain this summer simply because he was the oldest guy that wanted to play on Team USA. Captain America should have more than 1 good game during the Olympics. I do think that nickname should go to LeBron over him. Hopefully he plays in Tokyo and takes the name for himself.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 4, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

Using guns is American as hell. I'd post a picture of 40s Captain America using a gun but the bad guys he is fighting are racist caricatures.

Photoshopped, fake, an overenthusiastic artist's rendering, and they got it wrong and it didn't really happen that way. I could find you bullshit pictures of Batman using guns and throwing people off of buildings and blowing them up and we'd both know that's not real because it's not who Batman is. He shot a gun ONCE and it was basically to save the entire universe, and it sent him spiraling backwards through history. You will NEVER find him unloading clips into bad guys. He has too much respect for human life. Same for Captain America. The Cap is the Shield and I won't entertain trollish arguments to the contrary.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i'm just wondering because i can see tony wanting to come back for that 15 million, but if he can get it another way then maybe that would work out best for both parties

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feast your eyes fellas, and RIP to Nike, Adidias and UA.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

zoux posted:

Maybe he loves his dad.

It's fair to tell your parents not to interfere with your career. Maybe he thinks it's a good idea, though.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

eh, not great, not terrible

look like shoes to me

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

zoux posted:

turns out "better than Steph Curry" was actually a very low bar to set. Lavar is a psychotic genius

edit: low bar to clear/hurdle?

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 4, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

eh, not great, not terrible

look like shoes to me

I know, what a huge disappointment.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

zoux posted:

Apparently they're going to retail for $495 lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/ekoreen/status/860182975350272001
lmao that's what he wants you idiot

Caseys defeatist attitude has trickled down. RIP Raptors.

I'd be okay with re-signing almost everybody on this team though, or at the very least, Lowry Ibaka and Tucker. It's unlikely we're going to attract a superstar FA or draft one. Plus I feel like this core is still good enough that it deserves a fair shake with a different coach.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Maybe he can stay clear-headed despite his crazy dad. These relatively normal looking shoes will undoubtedly increase his draft stock.

edit:

Space Camp fuckup posted:

nevermind then

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

no way

no god drat way

maybe he realizes its such a novelty item that they won't sell well so the only people who are gonna buy them probably would have bought them anyway?

:psypop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disappointment cancelled.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
So they're just going independent? I guess that explains the price if Lavar just called a Chinese factory up himself to get this going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Economies of Scale are a hell of a drug

• Locked thread