Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/860198958391480320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Passed by 4 votes. Now on to the Senate, where it will be promptly swatted down.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Passed by 4 votes. Now on to the Senate, where it will be promptly swatted down.

Don't tempt fate.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

psydude posted:

Passed by 4 votes. Now on to the Senate, where it will be promptly swatted down passed to Donnie's desk.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Realtalk: Feeling pretty bad for you guys, hopefully this thing dies or is at least watered down significantly in the Senate :smith:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm sickened by people cheering for removing something that helps so many people

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

I'm sickened by people cheering for removing something that helps so many people

BUT FREEDOM

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I can't be passed through budget reconciliation, so it has to go to the floor for debate. Meaning it has to overcome the filibuster, and right now Senate Republicans are pissed at the house for handing this to them, so don't expect them to go nuclear over it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

psydude posted:

Yeah I don't understand what all the fuss is about. They are acting like they just won WW2 and WW3 without losing anything but they are barely 1/3 of the way through.

After the Senate votes the House will vote again. The only way they will be able to push it through is if the Senate doesn't change much and does everything really fast before how terrible it is comes out like the House did. The actual cost of the subsidies required to cover the high risk pools will ruin it before it goes anywhere.

Edit: I loving hate Paul Ryan so much.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 4, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Typical GiP doom and gloom aside, I doubt it'll ever make it through the Senate. What this did accomplish is give Democratic candidates in swing districts plenty of ammunition.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

Typical GiP doom and gloom aside, I doubt it'll ever make it through the Senate. What this did accomplish is give Democratic candidates in swing districts plenty of ammunition.

They already have plenty as it is. On the way to work this morning, I passed a bunch of seniors protesting Erik Paulson's vote for this piece of trash. Come November he can probably kiss his seat goodbye.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

The senate is apparently drafting their own bill, but I have no doubt that it passes. They will kill the filibuster if they cannot get a deficit neutral plan for reconciliation.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

psydude posted:

Donald J Trump.

President of the United States of America.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Even Yurtle the Turtle has no interest in getting rid of the filibuster for anything else and he would have a hard time getting support to do so. Then the Senate bill would have to be voted on in the House before it goes to Trump. They would have to do it under reconciliation and that's going to be quite a stretch.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lol y'alls optimism is so 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I really enjoy how Trump is trying to say that walls built by Bush and funded to be repaired by Obama, are actually walls he built.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lightpole posted:

Even Yurtle the Turtle has no interest in getting rid of the filibuster for anything else and he would have a hard time getting support to do so. Then the Senate bill would have to be voted on in the House before it goes to Trump. They would have to do it under reconciliation and that's going to be quite a stretch.

There's no reason to believe that McConnel won't nuke the filibuster if that's the only way this can pass. There's zero reason for republicans to keep it and just :lol: if you think they give a gently caress about decorum.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
At this point, I wouldn't be suprised at all if the US sees an uptick in political violence if this poo poo passes.

Someone at some point is going to crack, be it a parent who loses their kid or someone who loses their spouse to this repeal. But it's going to happen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
But guys, Senate rules!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
To do that he needs every GOP vote he has and it's not there. The Senate also has a different ideological makeup from the House as it is a little harder to gerrymander and isnt nearly as extreme. He said he had no interest in getting rid of the filibuster like 2 days ago as it is. He also has said there is no rush to push it through and he is not going to skirt the rules.

I'm not saying this is all impossible, just that Republican senators aren't as amped to bulldoze a piece of poo poo through just because Trump.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's no reason to believe that McConnel won't nuke the filibuster if that's the only way this can pass. There's zero reason for republicans to keep it and just :lol: if you think they give a gently caress about decorum.

Getting rid of the filibuster isn't something either party is keen on doing. Neither party wants the senate to turn into the house.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes there is. They have a 3 vote majority, and getting rid of the filibuster would reduce senators to highly paid representatives. They all benefit from wielding the power of the filibuster.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well in that case may I recommend the Maxim 9, for direct pickup from your favorite local firearms store, after the HPA passes....might as well find one gold nugget in that otherwise massive pile of poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If pigs fly and the HPA passes I will buy an entire mixed box of suppressors.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tastefully arranged labia posted:

If pigs fly and the HPA passes I will buy an entire mixed box of suppressors.

buy a plane ticket to nz instead, i need someone to do all the jobs on this boat i don't want to do myself

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Two Finger posted:

buy a plane ticket to nz instead, i need someone to do all the jobs on this boat i don't want to do myself

Whats it pay?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Melthir posted:

Whats it pay?

meals, a bed, and i might throw you a couple of bucks for beer and smokes every now and then

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Two Finger posted:

meals, a bed, and i might throw you a couple of bucks for beer and smokes every now and then

So basicly what i make now.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Melthir posted:

So basicly what i make now.

You don't want to work for a dirty Kiwi anyways, come work for me under the US flag and I will make sure you get real deal Marlboro Reds instead of the sheep poo poo they roll down there.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just don't get hurt. Or sick.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
come to Canada, I can get you stoners shatter for $30/g

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

come to Canada, I can get you stoners shatter for $30/g

Isn't your internet super awful?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

psydude posted:

Isn't your internet super awful?

depends on where you live, its expensive but it's not lovely

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

depends on where you live, its expensive but it's not lovely

But why wouldn't I just move to a country with better, cheaper internet and better looking people. Like Germany.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

If you want to live with a bunch of europeans be my guest

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

You don't want to work for a dirty Kiwi anyways, come work for me under the US flag and I will make sure you get real deal Marlboro Reds instead of the sheep poo poo they roll down there.

he makes a fair point, smokes here are like 25 bucks a pack

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I want Prince Phillip to start slinging shade at Trump

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

psydude posted:

But why wouldn't I just move to a country with better, cheaper internet and better looking people. Like Germany.

Because our shitters are weird.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why ARE german toilets weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So you can inspect the poop

• Locked thread