Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

This is why Corbyn needs to contest a general election.

It'll be bad enough listening to the 'Jeremy would have won without ________ happening' horseshit.

lol Pissflaps complaining about somebody else being bad to have to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Do you not just have a footbridge to get across the Tees?

There's quite a few bridges, some of them very fancy like Newport bridge which has a massive pulley system on it to lift the middle up.

Though it doesn't work any more. I think there's a footbridge at Stockton.

A tramline would be nice, we used to have trams in the town center a long time ago.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 4, 2017

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
UKMT poster spotted in the wild https://www.facebook.com/theguardian/videos/678643438990089/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For all Hillary's faults at least she had it together enough to win a primary election against a radical outsider. I honestly hope the Labour establishment has spent a bit of time thinking about how it can contest leadership elections with ideas and decent candidates, rather than submitting terrible ones and complaining at the party members for making the "wrong choice" afterwards.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OwlFancier posted:

There's quite a few bridges, some of them very fancy like Newport bridge which has a massive pulley system on it to lift the middle up.

I think there's a footbridge at Stockton.

A tramline would be nice, we used to have trams in the town center a long time ago.

You're not far south enough to qualify for central government funding for a tram line.

(Incidentally, I'm surprised that the Tories were able to find someone who could do a worst job as Transport Secretary than Alistair Darling)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

The hyperloop can reach speeds of 750 mph, allowing it to cross the Tees in 0.3 seconds. You can't do that with a footbridge.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

VD usually.

I assume the Flapster was replying to me. They test for tuberculosis, leprosy, gonorrhoeia and syphilis, and when I did it also AIDS but they've removed that now.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

he's right tho

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

You're not far south enough to qualify for central government funding for a tram line.

(Incidentally, I'm surprised that the Tories were able to find someone who could do a worst job as Transport Secretary than Alistair Darling)

When you want a job done badly, you bring in Chris Grayling.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

There are a number of bridges that span the Tees.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The hyperloop can reach speeds of 750 mph, allowing it to cross the Tees in 0.3 seconds. You can't do that with a footbridge.

It can also collide two trains with a closing speed of over a thousand miles an hour if it loses vacuum, a failure mode even Southern can't replicate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol Pissflaps complaining about somebody else being bad to have to listen to.

Buddy a few of us wouldn't have had to if you hadn't just quoted him. Put him on ignore!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The one the lib dems build in Teesside will be a tram with a vacuum cleaner on the front.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It can also collide two trains with a closing speed of over a thousand miles an hour if it loses vacuum, a failure mode even Southern can't replicate.

I think you'll find mutually assured destruction has been a hallmark policy of the British government for sixty years.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
This 8th of June vote for the new coalition:

- Don't Know
- Not Sure
- White Van Man
and the newly added:
- Tin Man

For a Britain that is not literally Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also if your capsule gets a hole in it it'll depressurise to vaccum, meaning oxygen masks would be useless.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

jabby posted:

Also if your capsule gets a hole in it it'll depressurise to vaccum, meaning oxygen masks would be useless.

so when do G4S sign the building and operating contract...?

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 4, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

They worked on Concorde (except that time it hit a hotel) and that cruised at 72mbar outside pressure, a lot closer to the hyperloop's 1mbar than to sea level pressure.

There are a lot of other issues with hyperloop, but the low pressure ones like that have been solved by aerospace.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 4, 2017

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
And if a aeroplanes engines fall off you'll fall 30,000 feet and explode on landing. Don't be luddites.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hoops posted:

And if a aeroplanes engines fall off you'll fall 30,000 feet and explode on landing. Don't be luddites.

Probably not into a city, though.

Also actually if the engines fall off the plane can probably glide to a landing better because it's now lighter.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

This is why Corbyn needs to contest a general election.

It'll be bad enough listening to the 'Jeremy would have won without ________ happening' horseshit.

I'm not sure the leaflet didn't go into details.

Jeremy isn't going to win because the public is ideologically right wing. You love polls, you saw the poll that had 24% openly identifying as 'ethnic nationalists'. A further 25%, classed as the common sense voter, were found to have almost identical issues.

These people are not going to vote Corbyn whether he was amazing at his job or not. The country doesn't want a left wing government.

Frankly, I feel your issue boils down to wanting a centrist government with a red logo. You could vote Tory or lib dem but you want the red one. And you're angry that the red one is being silly and not being centrist.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's funny how some people focus on stuff like that and not on, say, underground trains being giant metal snakes barrelling at high speeds at you with no barrier inbetween. Just stick out a leg and boom, it loving explodes in a shower of gore. No safety measures stopping you from doing that. No way to stop it. And still millions of people take the tube every month.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Probably not into a city, though.

Also actually if the engines fall off the plane can probably glide to a landing better because it's now lighter.
Now if the wings fall off...

Regarde Aduck posted:

Jeremy isn't going to win because the public is ideologically right wing. You love polls, you saw the poll that had 24% openly identifying as 'ethnic nationalists'. A further 25%, classed as the common sense voter, were found to have almost identical issues.
It'd be interesting to know why.

There's a lot of easy answers like 'the papers' (but why are those the papers that sell) or 'lack of education' but it feels as if there is a core tribal reason.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/ryxnf/status/860088591988477953

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Regarde Aduck posted:

These people are not going to vote Corbyn whether he was amazing at his job or not. The country doesn't want a left wing government.

Frankly, I feel your issue boils down to wanting a centrist government with a red logo. You could vote Tory or lib dem but you want the red one. And you're angry that the red one is being silly and not being centrist.
So are you coming out as an incrementalism then? The only solution I can see to your statements here is to vote for the furthest-to-the-left candidate that has a chance of public acceptance. The centre is better than the right, says Regarde Aduck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

It's funny how some people focus on stuff like that and not on, say, underground trains being giant metal snakes barrelling at high speeds at you with no barrier inbetween. Just stick out a leg and boom, it loving explodes in a shower of gore. No safety measures stopping you from doing that. No way to stop it. And still millions of people take the tube every month.

Well there's your own motor control stopping you, and, again, if you do train your leg off, it's only your leg. It's your own daft fault. 1000km/s collisions under major cities might be more concerning.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/860197038360846336

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If people aren't voting in their best interests the best hing you can do, rather than talking about them being stupid ignorant racist cunts on the internet, is try to get involved in some grass roots activism and show your principles by example and hope to win people over.
Without the money, power, or other resources of a major political party it's about the best thing you can do. But it takes a lot of time, a lot of patience, and a huge resistance to burnout because political activism is often soul destroying stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which one's the official one?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

Plenty of them are fairweather ethnonationalists who would hold a different position if there was more than a joke opposition, imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd be pretty cool if there was an opposition proposing similar economic ideas to the BNP without the terrifying authoritarianism and ethnic nationalism, but I don't think people are only answering that they hate immigrants on a poll because Corbyn Bad.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

They worked on Concorde (except that time it hit a hotel) and that cruised at 72mbar outside pressure, a lot closer to the hyperloop's 1mbar than to sea level pressure.

There are a lot of other issues with hyperloop, but the low pressure ones like that have been solved by aerospace.

I hate to break it to you but the oxygen masks on Concord wouldn't have worked at anything like it's normal cruising altitude. The only thing you could do if it lost pressure was descend as fast as possible and hope you hit thick enough air before you died of hypoxia.

In a hyperloop the problem would be even worse, although somewhat mitigated by the fact that you could re-pressurise the whole tube fairly quickly in an emergency.

jBrereton posted:

Plenty of them are fairweather ethnonationalists who would hold a different position if there was more than a joke opposition, imo.

This is rubbish. People didn't suddenly start hating immigration and believing that we should look out for Britain first when Corbyn became leader.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 4, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jBrereton posted:

that's nice but your argument isn't being supported by reality

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you think of the "common sense" people as basically politically ambivalent, the reason they're trotting out the government's line, which is anti-immigrant and right wing, is because the opposition is unable to form and expound upon their own narrative without someone loving it up, cf. Abbott or the amount of rollbacks on policy as McDonnell or Corbyn says something in the morning about fuckin trains or tax or whatever and scuttles back on it by the end of the day.

And I say that as someone who went out and did their Labour voting duty today.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jBrereton posted:

If you think of the "common sense" people as basically politically ambivalent,

this is the mistake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe they also just think that blaming foreigners is correct and are actually racist?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe they also just think that blaming foreigners is correct and are actually racist?
I mean the country always does pretty well for itself in terms of aid donations and so on relative to literally everywhere else in the world other than Ireland, I don't think tarring everyone with the idiot racist brush is useful or even accurate.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
When the headlines today are all "EU threatens Election says May" and "Hands off our election Brussels!" and not "May talks fantastically stupid conspiracy poo poo" I don't know why you'd think any leftist message is going to get out there.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

When the headlines today are all "EU threatens Election says May" and "Hands off our election Brussels!" and not "May talks fantastically stupid conspiracy poo poo" I don't know why you'd think any leftist message is going to get out there.
End of the day you had Chaka Umunna talking sense about this last night on C4 news, and if the party is failing to deal with the press, that is a failure of the party apparatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

jBrereton posted:

If you think of the "common sense" people as basically politically ambivalent, the reason they're trotting out the government's line, which is anti-immigrant and right wing, is because the opposition is unable to form and expound upon their own narrative without someone loving it up, cf. Abbott or the amount of rollbacks on policy as McDonnell or Corbyn says something in the morning about fuckin trains or tax or whatever and scuttles back on it by the end of the day.

And I say that as someone who went out and did their Labour voting duty today.

Then it depends what you mean by 'more than a joke opposition'. If you mean Corbyn and McDonnell might have a shot at convincing people of left-wing ideas if they were better at their jobs, sure. If you mean that bringing back Miliband and his racist mugs would get people to be less nationalist by pandering to their nationalism, you're off your rocker.

• Locked thread