Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Brass is going for a Steam greenlight, it looks pretty well done: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=787752508

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

So Agricola or Caverna. Thoughts?

I picked up the rules easy enough from a few hours of watching YouTube albeit strategies will be learnt from actual playing. Caverna looks a bit more streamlined and same start point compared to Agricolas randomness. Seems Agricola could lead to better replay value? Or am I wrong ahh. I don't really want to buy both as the overall theme and gameplay is similar.

Agricola is best, it has a lot more replay value. Cavernia is a half finished mess. If Caverna appeals to you then you should just get Feast for Odin instead.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Caverna is so long that you might want to never play another board game again by the time the end rolls around.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kashuno posted:

Might be a better question to address to the dev thread but I think this thread gets quite a bit more traffic and I'd like more opinions. When it comes to player combat, what methods do you enjoy for combat resolution and what ones to you dislike? Why?

It would be neat to see Gloomhaven's combat resolution done in an adversarial setting -- the combat results deck (and its upgradable/customizable nature) put into a CDG environment would be a fun time. So sorta like Kemet but with powers that are active rather than passive benefits.

Actually a good dudes on a map deckbuilder (with like a combat and customizable action deck) would be interesting, especially if every upgrade path was available on the table (ala Kemet's pyramids).

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Tai posted:

So Agricola or Caverna. Thoughts?

I picked up the rules easy enough from a few hours of watching YouTube albeit strategies will be learnt from actual playing. Caverna looks a bit more streamlined and same start point compared to Agricolas randomness. Seems Agricola could lead to better replay value? Or am I wrong ahh. I don't really want to buy both as the overall theme and gameplay is similar.

The good news is that both are great and you absolutely cannot go wrong with either.

Agricola is a wonderful game and harsh. Every decision is made on the brink of starvation and because of that, it's incredibly tense. Greed can be harshly punished and I've sat there twitching watching other people take their turns because if someone takes that sheep space... If you like very tight competition, Agricola is your game. Randomness in Agricola is also minimized if you draft like you're supposed to.

Caverna gives you the same toolbox and just opens everything wide open. It is not streamlined in any way and actually has more moving parts. The main difference is that you aren't going to starve unless you really, really gently caress up. Resources are plentiful and it goes from being the game of avoiding harm to the game of maximizing gain. I feel the same tension except that instead of anxiety over imminent starvation, it's anxiety over someone locking me out of something profitable.

I personally give the edge to Caverna because I think it gives a little more creative space to play with but they're both easily in the top five games ever created. I'd even go so far as to say they're both worth owning. The core mechanics are the same but they play very differently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tekopo posted:

Dislike:
- Simple X+ to hit systems. They are universally bullshit and lazy. They are incredibly random and winning combat is only ever about being lucky, no matter if you hit on a 4+ and your opponent hits on a 5+.
- Multiple round systems: this is with a caveat that usually I only mind them if they use bullshit X+ to hit systems and the game turns in several turns of people rolling blanks because the sides are even and no one wants to retreat.
:agreed:

Even one of my favorite board games ever, Eclipse, is held back by its combat system committing both of these sins.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

:agreed:

Even one of my favorite board games ever, Eclipse, is held back by its combat system committing both of these sins.

Yep. I quite like Eclipse, but the combat (multi-round roll-5-to-hit rando-boredom) is super garbage.

Also seconding whoever said Gloomhaven combat is a good model (a deck of random modifiers, pretty tightly centered around +0). For me, it gives just enough variance that combat is not deterministic (which is important), but where most of the time you are about as effective as you should be (and using a deck instead of dice provides even more pressure towards average results). Bonus points if it's also something you can control and sculpt over time (again, like in Gloomhaven).

I don't hate Kemet combat (hidden action selection, with a card economy of "how much do I need to commit, how much will he commit to this")... but in general I'm less keen on hidden action selection than I think a lot of people are. Too often I find it unsatisfying, win or lose; though in Kemet this is mitigated somewhat by card economy and just overall game mechanics. You could go even further into hidden selection mechanics, with full-shields/all-out/conservative/scissors/paper type interactions and I think it'd "work" and you'd have a game, but personally I don't like those types of games much.

Having some sort of translucent/luck-based (either by straight randomness or hidden selection) mechanic around combat resolution makes sense, but you don't want resolution tactics (or randomness) to overwhelm bigger picture strategy (or at least not often).

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ok Terra mystica. That looks a pretty cool variation. Less tasks and more about developing to open up rewards below the board by adding to the board (houses, trade houses etc).

To me it looks pretty good and I'm watching a third video for it. Could be the final game I add to the basket...finally.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Tai posted:

Ok Terra mystica. That looks a pretty cool variation. Less tasks and more about developing to open up rewards below the board by adding to the board (houses, trade houses etc).

To me it looks pretty good and I'm watching a third video for it. Could be the final game I add to the basket...finally.

Terra Mystica is very Not Good if you're going to mostly play at two.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tai posted:

I like Terra Mystica and Agricola equally, even if they're not strictly comparable in game styles (why would anyone want two games that are the same, anyway?). My group chooses from these games based on how many players we have. Here are our first choices for each player count:

6p - Dominant Species
5p - Terra Mystica
4p or 3p - Agricola (or Pandemic Legacy if it's the correct four).

For more involved 2p games it's typically Twilight Struggle or Agricola

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tai posted:

It's really good, but a bit dry. It's not bestat 2 players either, but playable (much better if you start close to one another for interaction). There is an app that is great for trying it out and learning.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

T-Bone posted:

Actually a good dudes on a map deckbuilder (with like a combat and customizable action deck) would be interesting, especially if every upgrade path was available on the table (ala Kemet's pyramids).

Try City Of Remnants for deck builders mans-on-boards.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Weird Mage Knight questions from our last game. Still very sketchy on co-op city assaults and the order of events.

- So immediately after players agree to do a city assault, you divide the enemy tokens up between players randomly. Then, player order continues as normal (so dummy player can go in-between), so the player whose turn it was immediately moves to the city and assaults it, and then the other players joining must do the same on their next turn.

- Every player involved in the assault then loses their next turn, so for example the dummy player may get to go twice immediately after the battle is resolved.

- If the city taken was the final city in a co-op conquest campaign, since the last turn is passed then basically that's immediately the end of the game.

- If players divided the number of enemies evenly (thus each players has an even number of tokens on it when conquered), then the city goes to the person who initially declared the assault and attacked first?

Is that all correct?
No, the whole attack happens during the same turn. Everybody who joined in (not the original attacker) misses their next turn.

Sample turn order, A B dummy C. B moves in, C and A join. They all take their monsters, but B gets to use source dice first etc. C and A turn their turn tokens face down to remember to skip their next turn. After the attack, return all source dice, C flips token up, dummy acts (if this wasn't the last city), A flips token up, B gets another proper turn. If this was the last city, game ends here, C and A do not get any proper turns.

Yes, if everybody has the same number of tokens on the city the leader is the one who went in first, B in this case.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Other stuff:

- So normally you can move over a player freely, but if they are in a keep they own then you cannot. How does that apply in co-op though, same thing? Since it is possible for a friendly player to enter your keep and buy stuff obviously, but not if you are already on that hex. I would think they could move over you as normal (since it is a friendly fort) but maybe not?

- The Green city seemed super easy for us last game, I imagine we probably just got an easy spread of enemies or something? The movement on the tile is obviously pretty bad (especially at night), but no Dragons on the title and the poison just didn't threaten us at all. Not sure how the token color distribution compares to other cities.

- Are there any official rules for 'extended' games like if we are crazy people and want to play a 2 player game with 8 rounds and more tiles? How about with the expansion (which I've ordered and will have by the weekend)?

- Any opinions on the advanced deck building rules like drafting and such? Any of these fun/good for co-op or more for competitive stuff?

In co-op you can move through each other's keeps, but you can't end move there while occupied. While on or next to an ally's keep, you can claim your own keep bonus if you have one. I believe this rule is confusingly buried in "Team Play", and the co-op scenarios specify you're on the same team.

Nothing official for crazy scenarios, but nothing stopping you from doing it! Slap a level 22 Megapolis composed of the remaining 2 cities. With the expansion, the Volkare scenarios can be pretty long but still only 6 rounds.

I've never tried the alternate deck building rules, other than "starting at higher level" from Tezla for the scenario that calls for it. I do really like auctioning the heroes in competitive (but with an n-player game, choose only n heroes to auction off). Random tile orientation is good but I would consider not rotating the tiles next to the starting tile, especially in competitive.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

rchandra posted:

No, the whole attack happens during the same turn. Everybody who joined in (not the original attacker) misses their next turn.

Sample turn order, A B dummy C. B moves in, C and A join. They all take their monsters, but B gets to use source dice first etc. C and A turn their turn tokens face down to remember to skip their next turn. After the attack, return all source dice, C flips token up, dummy acts (if this wasn't the last city), A flips token up, B gets another proper turn. If this was the last city, game ends here, C and A do not get any proper turns.

Well glad I asked then, I re-read that section like 3 times but for some reason it just wasn't ever clear to me.

I knew about claiming your own keep bonus from a friend's keep in co-op but the movement was something I couldn't find in there. I should get a digital version of the rules so I can search, that would probably help quite a bit.

Random Tile orientation, could you get into some layouts where you need teleport/flight/etc to get to cities then? I've already had some nasty layouts where there was only 1 normal tile access to a city.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We played a huge game of Eldritch Horror, and it was just abysmal. I was wondering, are there any games that are similar, but where you all do something on everyone's turn, so that you don't just sit there waiting until its your turn?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I wish I had a regular group to play Steam with. Managed to get it to the table again today, and had a great time, but it probably wasn't as fun for the two people who were stuck in a corner of the map from round 2 and had no possible way of catching up... I'm assuming this would be less of a problem if all my opponents were as skilled as me and my one friend who also plays it with me every time we get the chance.

(It doesn't help that we played a new map, and it now turns out that both expansion #1 maps are tight as gently caress)

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Gimmie your feelings on Biblios

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

We played a huge game of Eldritch Horror, and it was just abysmal. I was wondering, are there any games that are similar, but where you all do something on everyone's turn, so that you don't just sit there waiting until its your turn?

If you play Arkham Horror you can spend your time between turns reading the rules book.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jesus christ BGC is so hosed for me right now. Can't send any chats and I have to refresh 2-6 times to get a single move to go through...

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Rutibex posted:

If you play Arkham Horror you can spend your time between turns reading the rules book.

lol, actually we've all played Arkham horror so much that we know it all inside out now. I don't know why, it never seemed as bad with Arkham? I think a lot of it is the people we play with actually.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

!Klams posted:

Drafting games (7 wonders, sushi go party) mitigate this, but there aren't that many pure drafting games. That is, most games have more than just drafting.

Real time games also but only Captain Sonar goes up to a player count that is "huge."

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Shadow225 posted:

My complaint with Castles is actually the bonus objectives. It's great when a player can snap 9 points off a single objective, but you can only snap 2 because the tiles popped up favorably for your opponent. There's no counterplay because you can't fight hidden information.

The way to get your cards to score big is by completing blue rooms - picking 2 of the exact room you need can be super powerful, especially if you also run the stack out. That does rely on the blue rooms showing up of course, but it's not unlikely. There's also a degree that you have to try to guess what orange cards your opponents have based on what they're buying, and price those rooms accordingly or buy them up for cheap.

Anyone have thoughts on the expansion? The moats look cool, but the swans seem like they could be tedious, and I'm not sure how much the secret passages add.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

GrandpaPants posted:

Drafting games (7 wonders, sushi go party) mitigate this, but there aren't that many pure drafting games. That is, most games have more than just drafting.

Real time games also but only Captain Sonar goes up to a player count that is "huge."

Ok cool. I have an idea for a game I'd like to make and a large part of it is mitigating the 'waiting for your turn' thing.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

The way to get your cards to score big is by completing blue rooms - picking 2 of the exact room you need can be super powerful, especially if you also run the stack out. That does rely on the blue rooms showing up of course, but it's not unlikely. There's also a degree that you have to try to guess what orange cards your opponents have based on what they're buying, and price those rooms accordingly or buy them up for cheap.

Anyone have thoughts on the expansion? The moats look cool, but the swans seem like they could be tedious, and I'm not sure how much the secret passages add.

Moats are extremely cool, and arguably stronger than secret card usage. Secret passages exist to support moat heavy strategies, and swans are just kind of there. I usually play with moats + secret passages, and pretend the swans don't exist. It's enough of a point salad already.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

!Klams posted:

For one thing, neither Arkham nor Eldritch Horror resolve an entire player turn at once. You do each player's piece of a phase, then move to the next phase etc. So it shouldn't be "wait through 5 turns, do your thing". If you weren't playing that way that would be a big component of it. Secondly, never play either above maybe 5 players, preferably 4. That would also contribute heavily to it sucking, if when you say "huge" you mean "lots of players".

Beyond that...I honestly can't think of any coop games where people are all acting more or less simultaneously outside of real-time stuff like Space Alert. Also very little if anything that would be good at a high player count.

Probably the closest I can come would be Gloomhaven (everyone plans their actions simultaneously, reveals for initiative, and then you flip monster actions and people and monsters act in order of initiative) or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (people take discrete turns but you can play some cards to help other players on their turn or might also have to join in an encounter/encounter the same thing at the same time).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

!Klams posted:

Eldritch. If you dont have a QB problem. Should be 5-10 minutes of everyone collaborating and talking about what they can do in a group puzzle solving way. Followed by short turns where they do there thing that s
You should have time to get bored during.

I 100% grant that if it gets to Bobs turn and he looks at the board and decides what to do and you wait then it can suck. But our turns are all reading the encounter cards after the disvussion/group input phase.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

!Klams posted:

Ok cool. I have an idea for a game I'd like to make and a large part of it is mitigating the 'waiting for your turn' thing.

Action selection games like Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy too, albeit not co-op. One person picks an action which everyone does, with the active player getting an additional benefit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
With Race for the Galaxy, do people generally play the "experienced" 2 player variant (pick 2 actions a round) or normal?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

With Race for the Galaxy, do people generally play the "experienced" 2 player variant (pick 2 actions a round) or normal?

I have only ever played 2-player, and we always used the pick two variant. Its seems more interesting.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Experienced, for sure. Best with the Alien Artifact expansion only (sans orb).

Tom Lehrman (the designer) has lamented the experienced 2p option a bit because he argues as it gives the appearance of more control, it reduces the appeal of the multiplayer version, which really is a pretty neat and efficient game where you are interacting through predicting other player's choices. The 2p variant kind of loses that aspect of the game to a degree.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Most Race players play "experienced".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cheen posted:

I've played it twice 2p. I enjoyed it. I intend to play it again.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Cheen posted:

one of the absolute best filler games, for sure notable for one of the only games with an auction mechanism that really "works" at two players.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Welp, played Riichi Mahjongg three nights in a row, and Big Two the first and third of those nights.

Riichi remains one of my favorite rummy games; somehow it's incredibly relaxing for me, the feel of the tiles is divine in the same way as shogi or go face to face, and I will find it hard to produce many games I'd rather play with three likeminded and experienced players.

Big Two, now, my wife grew up playing it with her family, but I'd only played it with her, 2-player, just playing hands and if you win it, great. It's the ladder game that Tichu was based on, basically. Here, she taught the other mah jongg players and we played 4-player, keeping track of points (cards left in your hand are negative, if you are left with at least 10 they're doubly negative, if you haven't played a card they're triply i.e. 39 negative points).

Snappy as gently caress game, much faster than a comparable Tichu hand (no passing, a lot more singles can be played because you can play a single on the same number as long as the suit is higher, no counting up anything other than cards left in hand at the end), and more cutthroat. Really fun! Gonna try to get some of our tichu playing couple friends to try it.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Thanks for the info on Biblos.

Now, because I don't see it in the OP, what is BGC?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Board Game Core aka the place to play Food Chain Magnate online.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've had a couple asynchronous games going for awhile now and I honestly think they're pretty nice. I still suck horribly at the game itself, but it's not hard to play like that.

Just take notes, is what I have learned from getting my two games mixed up far too often.

I swear I'm gonna win this time, Professor Kink!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
CEASE YOUR EFFORTS WHICH ARE USELESS

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Gonna get Forge War today and hopefully have time to play a solo round this evening.

Anyone played it solo yet? Anything I need to be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Selecta84 posted:

Gonna get Forge War today and hopefully have time to play a solo round this evening.

Anyone played it solo yet? Anything I need to be aware of?

I suggest sleeving it, the card stock is dogshit. Otherwise I don't recall any weird hangups.