Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Context is important here, which doesn't make it any less stupid, but it wasn't really "loving disgusting"
That was just my gut-reaction to it, but I'm obviously super ignorant on this so I'm doing some reading.

HappyHippo posted:

Yes the democrats, who to a man voted against this, are really the bad guys here aren't they?
Never said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

HappyHippo posted:

I'm talking about the singing by dems "looking bad," as the post I quoted was suggesting. People will care about healthcare, they won't care about some lawmakers singing Sha Na Na.

This was probably not the time for Democrats to perform some dumb office in-joke that no-one outside their bubble "gets."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Typo posted:

Hillary would have won the election if it were not for Obama->Trump vote flippers

Those are the people that will really suffer.

And probably never vote again. They voted Democrat and were screwed. Voted Republican and were screwed. "Screw the lot of them" they will say.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Power Walrus posted:

Wouldn't this be a good time for Democrats to start pushing Medicare for All?

"Yeah the ACA had problems, mostly we couldn't explain why its great. Instead of the ACHA, how about a country where no American will go into bankruptcy from medical bills? A country where medicine prices aren't marked-up 1000%? How about never having to compare byzantine loving health care plans that very sneakily don't cover your rear end?"

I mean, laugh at me for being naive, because I can't understand why Democrats won't get their loving act together and offer a constructive vision of the future.

There's not really any choice, at this point. Democrats will not be campaigning on a return to the Affordable Care Act, and the insurance markets / healthcare system are destined to inevitably revert to the way it was pre-ACA (which was hated). Despite what Paul Ryan is saying, the AHCA will most assuredly NOT be the promised "Better Way" and Americans don't actually believe in a wild-west model of healthcare.

Medicare-for-All is such a simple argument to make, too. You don't even to say those dreaded words, you just say 'Medicare Buy-In': "You pay X amount per month and you get the same insurance as your mom! It covers X, Y, and Z." Live in a place with no insurance plans? Buy into Medicare. Live in a place with terrible plans? Buy into Medicare. Emergency collapse of a market? Buy into Medicare. It doesn't even come across as a giveaway because people would pay premiums (which they're used to) instead of getting taxes out of their paychecks (which would be better but, you know, a tax).

I realize that it's not that simple to change the financing of healthcare in this country but the messaging is fairly easy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Queering Wheel posted:

Everyone who voted for this bill today is a murderer.

I feel disgusted.

All my life, we've been evil shitheads about our healthcare (read: each other's lives). After a long insane fight, we managed to slightly restrict and substantially subsidize said evil shithead-ery to take the edge off and it was to public benefit. We couldn't even hold on that.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

incoherent posted:

RIP all those americans who will die slowly. As god intended.
I thought it was die quickly
https://youtu.be/-usmvYOPfco

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Typo posted:

if it passes the senate yeah ppl will care cuz there will be trump voters dying on tv to curable diseases and poo poo and that makes republicans look bad

Assuming anything substantive actually passes both houses, I fully expect people who lose their coverage to be called liars by the right wing media.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The passage of this bill and the dismantling of Obamacare is going to accelerate the political catastrophe that America is currently in.

It's going to be uncharted territory.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

BarbarianElephant posted:

This was probably not the time for Democrats to perform some dumb office in-joke that no-one outside their bubble "gets."

No one outside the tiny minority that follows the minutia of politics like it's a soap opera (AKA us) will even be aware of this happening. And literally nobody will care in a year and a half.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

gohmak posted:

I thought it was die quickly
https://youtu.be/-usmvYOPfco

Addendums to be added later: For every one non-life threatening injury obtained with no health care that needs to be corrected the government will inject the person with AIDS.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/841382594193301505

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking as a type 1 diabetic who basically has no chance at affordable healthcare without the AHCA due to needing constant medication to not die, gently caress every last republican who voted for this. If there was any justice in the world they would all be dying slowly and painfully from horrible diseases, forced to sell everything they own to try and stay alive.

:toot:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

HappyHippo posted:

No one outside the tiny minority that follows the minutia of politics like it's a soap opera (AKA us) will even be aware of this happening. And literally nobody will care in a year and a half.

I suspect your racist grandma will make sure that this spreads on Facebook.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

I suspect your racist grandma will make sure that this spreads on Facebook.

racist grandmas have the most pre-existing conditions tho. best to accelerate their deaths...can't have the cannary alerting people.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Asimo posted:

Speaking as a type 1 diabetic who basically has no chance at affordable healthcare without the AHCA due to needing constant medication to not die, gently caress every last republican who voted for this. If there was any justice in the world they would all be dying slowly and painfully from horrible diseases, forced to sell everything they own to try and stay alive.

Typo?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

incoherent posted:

racist grandmas have the most pre-existing conditions tho. best to accelerate their deaths...can't have the cannary alerting people.

yeah but they might have medicare

it's racist fathers who are most at risk from this, because they don't yet have medicare

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/_Almaqah/status/860201598592712704

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Er yeah. :smith:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Asimo posted:

:hfive: Yup. I just got financial assistance through Kaiser and I'm hoping to get back on an insulin pump. The guillotine would be too nice for the GOP.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
shoulda sucked it up and voted hillary rustbelt people

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Let's cheer up and have some fun with numbers! The estimate for the body count of the last version of Republicare was about 50,000 per year. While we don't have an analysis of this current bill yet, thanks to the Republicans ramming this through before a CBO analysis, let's assume for shits and giggles that that number still holds.

218 Republicans voted for this. 50,000 / 218 = ~229.3

Ted Bundy killed anywhere from 30-100 women. That puts each House Republican who voted for this at 2 to 7.6 Ted Bundy's per year.

That said, Bundy was notoriously unreliable in his confessions; frankly, there's a good chance he genuinely forgot a few.

We know Gacy killed 33-34 boys. That means each House Republican who voted for this, pending CBO analysis, of course, clocks in at ~7 Pogo's per year.

Again, we don't have numbers for the version that just passed the House, because the GOP knew the CBO is going to point this out for the piece of poo poo it is. This is just a bit of fun to bring the kind of levity to this thread only a comparison the House Republicans who voted for this bill to two of America's most prolific serial rapists, killers, and necrophiliacs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

evilweasel posted:

yeah but they might have medicare

it's racist fathers who are most at risk from this, because they don't yet have medicare

The wokest post

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So is this shitheap going to pass the Senate or what?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bawfuls posted:

Probably not as is, but with Republicans in control of both groups some form of it is fairly inevitable

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bawfuls posted:

Likely not, it seems. If it's even possible, it'd likely require substantial revisions.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Typo posted:

shoulda sucked it up and voted hillary rustbelt people

I'm pretty sure those people won't blame the GOP for anything going wrong as long as there are dark-skinned and/or gay and/or Jewish people in this world.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the way forward in terms of best to worst is as follows

senate can't get 50 votes, ahca 2.0 fails
senate rewrites bill to be less bad but still horrible, hands it back to house, HFC freaks out and sinks ahca 2.5
senate rewrites bill to be less bad but still horrible, hands it back to house, house passes it, trump signs it
senate passes bill as is, trump signs it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Zikan fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 4, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Brony Car posted:

I'm pretty sure those people won't blame the GOP for anything going wrong as long as there are dark-skinned and/or gay and/or Jewish people in this world.

Don't forget abortions. If 10,000 born babies die or are orphaned but 1 baby is saved from being aborted, it will all have been worth it!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd classify Democrats as "embarrassing" rather than disgusting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've seen this getting shared around; maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can fact check it?

"The bill was theater from the start. Immediately before the vote, the house inserted an amendment that would make the AHCA apply to members of Congress. Because this bill will affect Congress' pay and benefits, it is no longer considered budget reconciliation and can now be filibustered (meaning it will require 2/3rds vote in the senate to pass). That amendment was passed unanimously, with every 'yea' voter knowing it would die in the Senate. Republicans who voted for this bill did so knowing it will never make it into law, allowing them to seem as if they are trying to keep their 'repeal the ACA' pledge without having to reap the whirlwind of actually stripping healthcare from their constituents with the added benefit of being able to cast Senate democrats as obstructionist scapegoats"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jivjov posted:

I've seen this getting shared around; maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can fact check it?

"The bill was theater from the start. Immediately before the vote, the house inserted an amendment that would make the AHCA apply to members of Congress. Because this bill will affect Congress' pay and benefits, it is no longer considered budget reconciliation and can now be filibustered (meaning it will require 2/3rds vote in the senate to pass). That amendment was passed unanimously, with every 'yea' voter knowing it would die in the Senate. Republicans who voted for this bill did so knowing it will never make it into law, allowing them to seem as if they are trying to keep their 'repeal the ACA' pledge without having to reap the whirlwind of actually stripping healthcare from their constituents with the added benefit of being able to cast Senate democrats as obstructionist scapegoats"

Not true at all.

The bill to end the congressional exception was a separate bill, precisely so the Senate can filibuster it. And anything in the AHCA bill that violates reconciliation can get stripped out rather than making it automatically filibusterable.

Also filibusters require 60 senators to break, not 2/3rds.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

evilweasel posted:

Not true at all.

The bill to end the congressional exception was a separate bill, precisely so the Senate can filibuster it. And anything in the AHCA bill that violates reconciliation can get stripped out rather than making it automatically filibusterable.

Figured it was too good to be true. Thanks

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senate-wont-vote-on-house-passed-healthcare-bill/article/2622152

quote:

Senate Republicans said Thursday they won't vote on the House-passed bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, but will write their own legislation instead.

So, wait, did today's vote actually mean literally anything in practical terms?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senate-wont-vote-on-house-passed-healthcare-bill/article/2622152

So, wait, did today's vote actually mean literally anything in practical terms?

Yes. The Senate couldn't pass a reconciliation bill unless the House first passed something. If the House never passed a bill, the Senate couldn't ever pass their own and send it over. Now, they have a bill, and that means that even if they don't keep a single word of it they can hollow it out and send their own repeal back to the House. That's bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Not true at all.

The dems need to make sure that separate bill passes if the AHCA does. Make the republicans lie in their own bed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

The dems need to make sure that separate bill passes if the AHCA does. Make the republicans lie in their own bed.

Why would they want to remove a powerful argument to make them unemployed instead of giving them them worse health insurance? The fact that they personally voted to fix that loophole is the sort of detail that doesn't really matter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Yes. The Senate couldn't pass a reconciliation bill unless the House first passed something. If the House never passed a bill, the Senate couldn't ever pass their own and send it over. Now, they have a bill, and that means that even if they don't keep a single word of it they can hollow it out and send their own repeal back to the House. That's bad.

I see. And it being a reconciliation bill is important because it lowers the threshold to 50 votes rather than 60, correct?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

I see. And it being a reconciliation bill is important because it lowers the threshold to 50 votes rather than 60, correct?

Yes. 51 technically, but they'll win the tie because of Pence.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Bad but good. They only have until the end of May if they want to use reconciliation. Anything they craft needs to get scored and then sent back to the House. At which point the idiot circus starts all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

Bad but good. They only have until the end of May if they want to use reconciliation. Anything they craft needs to get scored and then sent back to the House. At which point the idiot circus starts all over again.

People keep saying this, but I haven't seen a source and Republican senators have said things today that indicate they don't see themselves as having any sort of deadline. What's the source on this? I can easily believe it's possible, but without seeing something definitive my concern is this is something else that has gotten telephoned into a deadline when its actually only something like "they have to do it by the end of this month if they want to keep to their previous tax cuts schedule", and they're perfectly fine punting tax cuts a few months or whatever.