Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
By saying you think Shrine of Amana is unfair you've turned your entire post into a joke. Just because it throws a different sort of challenge at you doesn't mean its poorly designed or insanely difficult. It just requires a different approach.

Also if you died to any of the exploding hollows in the Gutter that's your own drat fault for not being extremely careful in an area that's pitch black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a weird argument in the face of Humanity and Twin Humanities being full heals you can use at any time, too. In DS3 it limits the same thing to one and done (unless you're already Embered).

Speaking of enemies to never fight I don't think I ever killed more than a single drake in the Valley of Drakes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

By saying you think Shrine of Amana is unfair you've turned your entire post into a joke. Just because it throws a different sort of challenge at you doesn't mean its poorly designed or insanely difficult. It just requires a different approach.

Also if you died to any of the exploding hollows in the Gutter that's your own drat fault for not being extremely careful in an area that's pitch black.

I'm saying it's unpleasant in the extreme to clear without resorting to sniping every spellcaster before they can do anything. That is not a controversial stance.

And I was refering to a specific one where the bottom of the ladder suddenly drops out and you're marooned on a platform at a fatal height with a hollow who immediately explodes and punts you off, there's no reasonable way to see it coming.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 4, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

multijoe posted:

I'm saying it's unpleasant in the extreme to clear without resorting to sniping every spellcaster before they can do anything. That is not a controversial stance.

I mean, if you can't handle a different sort of challenge then sure its unpleasant. Or you could just adapt to your situation. Either way its hardly what I'd call a nightmare given you have multiple ways of dealing with it.

multijoe posted:

And I was refering to a specific one where the bottom of the ladder suddenly drops out and you're marooned on a platform at a fatal height with a hollow who immediately explodes and punts you off, there's no reasonable way to see it coming.

I don't even remember that part so somehow I doubt its as unavoidable as you claim. Most paths in the Gutter have multiple ways to cross them. Why are you dropping off a ladder without looking out for what is below you anyways?

The closest the Gutter comes to having "gotchas!" is when random wooden platforms break. You have no way of telling which lovely planks will hold and which will collapse. However all those drops either put you in an area with no enemies or ones with the lovely hollows that are extremely slow. So they are only cheap if you panic rather than remaining calm.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Dragonslayer armor was way tougher than I thought it would be. Twin princes were ez pz by comparison (boreal dancer even moreso). I probably died five times to the weird dragon things blasting me near the end of the fight, not to mention the countless times that fucker ornstein pushed me off the battle area.

I only noticed after the fight that the battle arena was twice as large as I thought it was... I got slaughtered by dragon breath the two times I went near the fountain but I guess that was just weird luck. It's odd how much different people have trouble with different bosses, moreso than almost any other game I've played.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dancer is easier than Abyss Watchers when fought at the same level, something is not right about that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean, if you can't handle a different sort of challenge then sure its unpleasant. Or you could just adapt to your situation. Either way its hardly what I'd call a nightmare given you have multiple ways of dealing with it.

'Adapt' meaning shooting them in the head with arrows. Trying to fight whole packs of Archdrake Knights and the mutant boglurker dudes (which you can only detect with your torch out) whilst being constantly sniped by the priestesses (who will force you to put your torch out by rolling through the water) is nigh-on impossible and clearly not how the area was designed to be completed and a great example of how DS2 areas reward cheese tactics over competent use of the core combat mechanics

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even remember that part so somehow I doubt its as unavoidable as you claim. Most paths in the Gutter have multiple ways to cross them. Why are you dropping off a ladder without looking out for what is below you anyways?

The closest the Gutter comes to having "gotchas!" is when random wooden platforms break. You have no way of telling which lovely planks will hold and which will collapse. However all those drops either put you in an area with no enemies or ones with the lovely hollows that are extremely slow. So they are only cheap if you panic rather than remaining calm.

It's at the end of The Gutter where you enter the tower with several ladders all leading to its base. You can't see what's at the base of each due to the flooring so the only way you'd see it coming is if you slowly climbed down each ladder without sliding to check if it drops out into a insta-death ambush. I can't recall any similar setups either before or after so it is effectively a one-time gotcha or using the wrong ladder.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Amana doesn't need any arrows. You need to use the same strategy as Iron Keep before SotFS hosed it to hell and back: un-pick the enemy formation by pulling and dispatching everything in the correct order while using geographical features as cover from ranged attacks.

The insanely contrived death pits everywhere are a far more legitimate criticism of Amana and I'm not going to defend that poo poo at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

'Adapt' meaning shooting them in the head with arrows. Trying to fight whole packs of Archdrake Knights and the mutant boglurker dudes (which you can only detect with your torch out) whilst being constantly sniped by the priestesses (who will force you to put your torch out by rolling through the water) is nigh-on impossible and clearly not how the area was designed to be completed and a great example of how DS2 areas reward cheese tactics over competent use of the core combat mechanics

DS2 emphasizes ranged combat more than the others with the stronger bows and spells having a variety of ranges (before being made mostly useless). It's part of the core mechanics. It's not really DS2's fault you didn't use them (nor do you really need them).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Internet Kraken posted:

*effortlessly kills the vast majority of enemies by spamming soul arrow from 20 feet away*

Gosh this is just so hard.

A lot of enemies (especially bosses) can close distances and hit you between pressing R1 and the spell coming out, during which time you are completely locked in place. For something like the twin demons you really need a tank to be able to get anywhere.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Just pestilant mercuried my way through Midir on my second playthrough of the ringed city. Oh my god it was depressingly easy relative to killing him fairly.

I still enjoyed it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Arrows are never necessary.

multijoe posted:

It's at the end of The Gutter where you enter the tower with several ladders all leading to its base. You can't see what's at the base of each due to the flooring so the only way you'd see it coming is if you slowly climbed down each ladder without sliding to check if it drops out into a insta-death ambush. I can't recall any similar setups either before or after so it is effectively a one-time gotcha or using the wrong ladder.

I'm sorry but this is literally a-tale-of-two-adventurers.jpg

Even then you still have enough time to melee kill the exploding dude before he explodes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

DS2 emphasizes ranged combat more than the others with the stronger bows and spells having a variety of ranges (before being made mostly useless). It's part of the core mechanics. It's not really DS2's fault you didn't use them (nor do you really need them).

And therein lies the problem - ranged combat sucks incredible amounts of rear end in Souls games and is a mostly a method of (slowly) bypassing encounters rather than engaging with them. You're exchanging the timing, spacing and decision making of attacks, dodges, blocks and counters for peeking out from around a corner and shooting something in the head a number of times until it dies, occasionally stepping back in to avoid their own projectiles, it barely even counts as gameplay.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sapozhnik posted:

Dancer is easier than Abyss Watchers when fought at the same level, something is not right about that.

What, this is not even slightly true. Watchers are insanely weak and squishy, I have never ever died to them. Dancer is reasonably challenging even when you're "supposed" to fight her.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I almost never used bows on my last playthrough DS2. Only used it in Shulva, the area that has puzzles that explicitly require the bow. I beat the Shrine of Amana by hitting dudes with my sword. It was a hard section but it was perfectly fair and enjoyable.

Sapozhnik posted:

It might be that difficulty is subjective and some people have more trouble with certain types of challenges than other people do.
...Nah!

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 4, 2017

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Anyways, this isn't the DS2 thread and I could rant about how much the level and encounter design ticks me off in that game all night.

Meanwhile, I am currently feeling extremely owned by everything in Ringed City. Demon Ornstein and Demon Smough are just tremedous pricks!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

And therein lies the problem - ranged combat sucks incredible amounts of rear end in Souls games
It's hilariously bad and janky in DS1 but it's perfectly fine and fun to use in DS2 and DS3. It's a great tool to have, too!

Sapozhnik posted:

The insanely contrived death pits everywhere are a far more legitimate criticism of Amana and I'm not going to defend that poo poo at all.
You make it sound like there are just random holes in the floor though, and there really aren't. There's a pretty clear path, and as long as you follow it you won't fall. The drop-off surrounds the path, but even then you can look down or hold up a torch to get a clear view of where the drop-off begins.

Stressful to do while you're being shot at and perhaps not the most elegant design they've done but I wouldn't call it "contrived" any more than say, the Tomb of the Giants.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

multijoe posted:

Meanwhile, I am currently feeling extremely owned by everything in Ringed City. Demon Ornstein and Demon Smough are just tremedous pricks!

Dorhys Gnawing my man

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's proven true with pretty much everything else, but Black Fire Orb will probably gently caress up the Ringed Knights with shields

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Whats the best level to start on the DLCs?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I was thinking how instead of the Demon Prince, fighting or facing the Primordial Serpents in some shape or form in that same arena would have been amazing. Landing in ruined, darkened Firelink, fighting the Serpents, then going down into Frampt's pit and getting to the Ringed City from there would have been a lot better thematically, made more sense for the location, and made the whole DLC a lot more satisfying lore-wise.

Not to mention it would have kept the strength of the Old Demon King fight being you exterminating the last of demon-kind, who are now ruined, pathetic creatures.

Hell even if you just saw the corpse of one of them there it would have been a very strong moment.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Sleekly posted:

About 80 should be fine for the first one, and around 100-120 for Ringed City would be best.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dorhys Gnawing my man

In the end The Demon Prince was no match for the, some say, inhuman power of the Thrall Axe and it's ability to hop slightly far.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

It might be that difficulty is subjective and some people have more trouble with certain types of challenges than other people do.
...Nah!

That said, it's kinda amazing just how different the things people find difficult are! Take me for example, who died probably 5 times more to Ledo than Midir :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleekly posted:

120+ for Ringed City

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Maleh-Vor posted:

About 80 should be fine for the first one, and around 100-120 for Ringed City would be best.

120+ for Ringed City

Much obliged.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you do the first DLC at level 80 you're gonna stroll through everything up until Friede. As dumb as it is, I'd recommend doing it whenever you feel like (you can reach Cathedral around 45 which is fine) but stopping once you reach Friede. Come back to her once you have +10 estus and more levels otherwise you're gonna be banging your head against a wall.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Since we're talking about shrine I've come to it in my trying DS2 again and I think I might just stop playing. If I don't I'm probably starting a new file. Dex weapons are getting boring. Bleed seems to kind of suck in pve. More than anything though I just hate how my character handles. The flaccid animations, comically bad tracking even when free aiming, and stiffness I guess I'll call it the game gets really temperamental about whether I pressed something as I went out of my roll detract more from the experience than tracking magic missiles or lethargic darkfire blade sweeps.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you do the first DLC at level 80 you're gonna stroll through everything up until Friede. As dumb as it is, I'd recommend doing it whenever you feel like (you can reach Cathedral around 45 which is fine) but stopping once you reach Friede. Come back to her once you have +10 estus and more levels otherwise you're gonna be banging your head against a wall.

Yeah you can do the actual area whenever you feel like grabbing the items, because honestly most of the enemies aren't a lot of fun to fight and you'll be running past anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

:same:

It's one thing I don't really like about that DLC. If you're at the level most people are comfortable beating Friede (80+ and I've even seen people struggle at 100+) you'll probably one-shot every enemy and not have a lot of fun with the rest of the DLC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The DS3 DLC is probably the least fun stuff From ever made.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DLC2 has three of the best boss fights in the series.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

AoA is pretty and interesting but is a better example of what people complain about ds2 encounter design than ds2. Whole area is designed to have some jerk poking your rear end while his buddy distracts you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nah

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

AoA is pretty and interesting but is a better example of what people complain about ds2 encounter design than ds2. Whole area is designed to have some jerk poking your rear end while his buddy distracts you.
You mean the dumb things people complain about in DS2 that distract from the real issues? Sure.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Augus posted:

You mean the dumb things people complain about in DS2 that distract from the real issues? Sure.

Yes I mean the complaints that are complaints that people have. If anything I was already agreeing with you because I was saying there was a better example of that sort of problem

Dodging missiles while trying to fight some other guy in a water level isn't my idea of a good time but I don't think it's an inditment of the game's design. poo poo I actually like the main Iron Keep room people will bitch about.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yes I mean the complaints that are complaints that people have. If anything I was already agreeing with you because I was saying there was a better example of that sort of problem

Dodging missiles while trying to fight some other guy in a water level isn't my idea of a good time but I don't think it's an inditment of the game's design. poo poo I actually like the main Iron Keep room people will bitch about.

I don't complain about any of these things because they aren't problems. Getting distracted and poked in the rear end isn't a problem, it just means you shouldn't get distracted.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
For the first DLC the way I did it was go in as soon as I could, and when I'd hit a wall I'd go do something in the main game for a while and then come back when I felt ready. Wish I was good enough to take on Friede earlier because I was doing a dex int build and her weapon fits that so well.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The ghost summoning dudes ... respawn?

:negative:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Augus posted:

I don't complain about any of these things because they aren't problems. Getting distracted and poked in the rear end isn't a problem, it just means you shouldn't get distracted.

Right just run past all the wolves then you won't be busy fighting any wolves for any wolves to attack you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

It's hilariously bad and janky in DS1 but it's perfectly fine and fun to use in DS2 and DS3. It's a great tool to have, too!

One of Bloodborne's defining features is "here's a gun"!